DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best way to back up music?

EverAudio 4:52 AM - 18 March, 2019
Hello All,

I need some advice, please. Here are my specs:

2011 13" MacBook Pro - Upgrades 16GB of Ram and SSD Samsung EVO 850 (500 GB) Drive.

Currently, my iTunes and time machine are stored on my external my passport 2TB hard drive. I'm I double storing here?

Ideally, I would like to store my music straight on my computer for convenience. But since my mac is older I think it's best to store on an external drive? I recently purchased an external SSD Samsung T5 500 GB to store my music only since it's more compact than my passport.

What do you think would be the best option?

Thank you!
popnwave 6:43 PM - 18 March, 2019
I mean if your library is small enough to fit on your 500GB internal drive go for it.

Otherwise I'd take out the optical drive, drop a 2TB 7.5mm HDD in there and have that for your music library. Of course still back THAT up to at least another external drive using a util like SuperDuper or CarbonCopy Cloner every other week or whenever you make a bunch of additions or tag changes to your library.
YZ 7:44 PM - 20 March, 2019
Not really a best way. You're using a Mac, there's really no reason NOT to simply use Time Machine.
Crackpipe 5:01 PM - 21 March, 2019
I have three external 1 TB drives that I store 2 backup copies of my music and my subcrates and a 4th external for time machine. I back everything up manually.

I'm super anal now since I had one drive that was my main become corrupt and lost maybe about 50 GB of music plus for whatever reason my subcrates became corrupt and had to rebuild most of them.
EverAudio 5:56 AM - 28 May, 2019
Thank you all for your input.