Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Stupid question about using DJ Pro

Billy Moat 4:57 PM - 14 March, 2019
Hey,

I've been using Serato Scratch Live with an SL1 on a Macbook Pro since 2009 - all good with no problems.

My question is if I upgrade to the new Serato DJ Pro software do I still need the SL1 box or does the new software not require that now and can just be either played directly from the laptop plugged into a regular Pioneer mixer or plugged into a couple of Pioneer CDJs along with the mixer?

I have a friend who also DJs using Algoriddim's djay Pro 2 and I know that that only requires the software along with a regular mixer and some CDJs (if desired) to use.

Cheers,
Billy
DJ JulioYEG 5:48 PM - 14 March, 2019
sl1 is no longer compatible with sdj pro sl2 and above and what do you mean by regular pioneer mixer? unless its the srt or s9 you wil have to have the club kit. cdjs are official accessories but you still need a soundcard ie s9 sl2 or djm900 nexus with the paid upgrade.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:05 PM - 14 March, 2019
your going to have to buy a new mac for sdj pro as that one will struggle,

i would recommend staying on the sl1 or maybe an sl3,

unless you want to buy new everything, laptop, mixer/soundcard and then the software itself if required
Billy Moat 7:40 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
sl1 is no longer compatible with sdj pro sl2 and above and what do you mean by regular pioneer mixer? unless its the srt or s9 you wil have to have the club kit. cdjs are official accessories but you still need a soundcard ie s9 sl2 or djm900 nexus with the paid upgrade.

Cheers for the reply Julio. The mixer I use is a Pioneer DJM 750.
Billy Moat 7:41 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
your going to have to buy a new mac for sdj pro as that one will struggle,

i would recommend staying on the sl1 or maybe an sl3,

unless you want to buy new everything, laptop, mixer/soundcard and then the software itself if required

I already have a newer Macbook Pro, a late 2016 model, so all good on that front.
DJ JulioYEG 9:25 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

you would need a sl box or stay on ssl
DJ JulioYEG 9:42 PM - 14 March, 2019
How ever the 750 is compatible plug and play on rekordbox so id make the switch. what cdjs do u hav?
DJ Tecniq 9:49 PM - 14 March, 2019
Just get the Denon DS1 for Serato DJ.
youtu.be
DJ JulioYEG 9:57 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
Just get the Denon DS1 for Serato DJ.
youtu.be

or look for a used serato box on local classifieds they selll dirt cheap
Billy Moat 10:25 PM - 14 March, 2019
Cheers guys.

Also been looking at djay Pro 2 software which doesn't seem to need a SL type box.

Anyone got any experience with that?
DJ JulioYEG 10:27 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
Cheers guys.

Also been looking at djay Pro 2 software which doesn't seem to need a SL type box.

look at rekordbox!
Billy Moat 10:31 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Cheers guys.

look at rekordbox!

Ha! Will do.

The reason I was looking at djay Pro 2 was that a friend recommended it and that it also has video/visuals built in and I'm thinking of getting into that side of things too.
DJ JulioYEG 10:34 PM - 14 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Cheers guys.

look at rekordbox!

Ha! Will do.

The reason I was looking at djay Pro 2 was that a friend recommended it and that it also has video/visuals built in and I'm thinking of getting into that side of things too.

so does rb
DJ Tecniq 3:50 AM - 15 March, 2019
Quote:
I believe that mixer has a soundcard built in and should be compatible with Rekordbox. What’s interesting is the mixer I think came out before Rekordbox but it has audio routing.
DJ Tecniq 4:29 AM - 15 March, 2019
However the 750 mixer I don’t think is compatible w/Rekordbox Video. Meaning the crossfader/ch faders are not midi assignable unless I’m mistaken. I had the old djm 700 which had midi but required a usb-midi audio cable routed from the mixer to usb via the computer and was able to map the mixer that way for video purposes which worked well for awhile till i upgraded to a Pioneer DMJ S9.
Billy Moat 8:51 AM - 15 March, 2019
Quote:
However the 750 mixer I don’t think is compatible w/Rekordbox Video. Meaning the crossfader/ch faders are not midi assignable unless I’m mistaken. I had the old djm 700 which had midi but required a usb-midi audio cable routed from the mixer to usb via the computer and was able to map the mixer that way for video purposes which worked well for awhile till i upgraded to a Pioneer DMJ S9.

Thanks for the info mate.
Mr. Goodkat 11:07 PM - 15 March, 2019
stick w ssl