Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato Video performing extremely slow, Mac

DJ P... Da don 3:29 AM - 7 March, 2019
Hi,

Is there any sense why would Serato Video run as slow on a:
Mid 2014 Macbook Pro, 2.5 ghz Core i7, 16GB of RAM, GeForce GT 750?

Mind you, perhaps it may be a mix of running Mojave and the latest Serato DJ.

Last I used serato video was over a year and a half ago and the thing was buttery smooth, now it's all choppy, recorded videos quality is low even though my settings are set to the max, real time performance... non existent.

Thanks,
DJ P... Da don 3:40 AM - 7 March, 2019
For example. 4.11...8.5... FPS
DJ Tecniq 5:05 AM - 7 March, 2019
If you rectify updated the OS that’s likely the issue. I had the same thing happen after i updated from Yosemite to High Sierra. So instead I figured to just start over and did a complete clean install of Sierra not “HS” and everything was butter smooth again. Updating from a previous OS is never failsafe. However i recommend you try a pram reset on your Mac (google it) it may help. If it doesn’t then a clean install of the OS should sort it.
DJ Tecniq 5:05 AM - 7 March, 2019
Recently*
DJ P... Da don 5:07 AM - 7 March, 2019
Quote:
If you rectify updated the OS that’s likely the issue. I had the same thing happen after i updated from Yosemite to High Sierra. So instead I figured to just start over and did a complete clean install of Sierra not “HS” and everything was butter smooth again. Updating from a previous OS is never failsafe. However i recommend you try a pram reset on your Mac (google it) it may help. If it doesn’t then a clean install of the OS should sort it.

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

It was actually a clean install as assumed that the (previous) upgrade was the culprit.... I guess it wasn’t :( lol
DJ Tecniq 8:40 AM - 7 March, 2019
Quote:

It was actually a clean install as assumed that the (previous) upgrade was the culprit.... I guess it wasn’t :( lol
That’s interesting however I have heard issues w/Mojave and Serato Video. SV has not been updated in years therefore with more OS releases it will just became unstable it is still a 32 bit application while everything is 64 bit. Technology is passing it by and they are still charging users as if nothing is wrong with it which I find very unprofessional. Here’s why i believe it’s the OS...I am using a Mid 2014 mbp w/Sierra without issues and no playback issues. My suggestion maybe try a previous version of SDJ? Latest release has a lot of confirmed bugs. Hope that helps.
DJ Tecniq 8:55 AM - 7 March, 2019
Did you do the pram reset? I had a user that had issues w/Serato and the reset seemed to resolve it. You won’t lose any data so there isn’t anything to lose. I also updated to the latest version of Serato and still running smooth w/Video. Before the clean install i experiences lagging and freezing video frames/skipping etc it was dreadful. Wiped my computer clean and reinstalled the OS and transferred all my data back along with my Serato software and re-activated my products all from scratch and everything just fixed itself. If you just reinstalled the OS then that is not a clean install. The hard drive has to be completely wiped out and start from the beginning. It sucks but for me was worth it.
DJ P... Da don 11:56 AM - 7 March, 2019
Quote:
Did you do the pram reset? I had a user that had issues w/Serato and the reset seemed to resolve it. You won’t lose any data so there isn’t anything to lose. I also updated to the latest version of Serato and still running smooth w/Video. Before the clean install i experiences lagging and freezing video frames/skipping etc it was dreadful. Wiped my computer clean and reinstalled the OS and transferred all my data back along with my Serato software and re-activated my products all from scratch and everything just fixed itself. If you just reinstalled the OS then that is not a clean install. The hard drive has to be completely wiped out and start from the beginning. It sucks but for me was worth it.

Will give the pram a test.

And yes, clean install as in wiped out the drive via Disk Utility.

Thx
DJ P... Da don 11:57 AM - 7 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

That’s interesting however I have heard issues w/Mojave and Serato Video. SV has not been updated in years therefore with more OS releases it will just became unstable it is still a 32 bit application while everything is 64 bit. Technology is passing it by and they are still charging users as if nothing is wrong with it which I find very unprofessional. Here’s why i believe it’s the OS...I am using a Mid 2014 mbp w/Sierra without issues and no playback issues. My suggestion maybe try a previous version of SDJ? Latest release has a lot of confirmed bugs. Hope that helps.

Will try pram first, if issues then older SDJ and report back.

DJ Tecniq 4:56 PM - 7 March, 2019
Yeah that’s very odd a clean install wouldn’t fix it. Are your videos stored on an external drive? I believe there is some incompatibility issues w/Mojave & Video cause others have mentioned the same thing but this is what happens when they don’t update their video plugin.
DJ Tecniq 5:07 PM - 7 March, 2019
I would double check to make sure you followed all these instructions support.serato.com
steven wynen 11:46 PM - 7 March, 2019
I had exactly the same problem

clean install didn't work

I've changed the 'yuv handling' setting from 'default' to 'software only'
try it. output fps 58-60 (coming from -10)

now it outperforms my previous setups where I could not reach more than 20-30 fps output
and now I can set my output quality from medium to high or even best
(2014 macbook 15 inch, with dedicated graphics card, video files mp4 max 3500 bitrate rendered but mostly coming from vj pro and xtendamix)

the strange thing is; my friends who have a simple macbook without a dedicated graphics card... they don't have this problem at all! and so leave the setting at 'default'

there is only one problem, the image is a little bit less sharp, only visible on the text what is displayed in the bought videoclips.
but the standard (drunk) party people will not see that ...
serato does not know where the problem is, and it is not a huge priority they told me.

succes
DJ P... Da don 1:17 AM - 8 March, 2019
Quote:

now it outperforms my previous setups where I could not reach more than 20-30 fps output
(2014 macbook 15 inch, with dedicated graphics card, video files mp4 max 3500 bitrate rendered but mostly coming from vj pro and xtendamix)

the strange thing is; my friends who have a simple macbook without a dedicated graphics card... they don't have this problem at all! and so leave the setting at 'default'

there is only one problem, the image is a little bit less sharp, only visible on the text what is displayed in the bought videoclips.
serato does not know where the problem is, and it is not a huge priority they told me.

succes

Thank you, that did it!!!! really appreciate it

Got the how to from a different thread
<snip>"Open up Serato DJ, go to setup and then expansion packs. Click Serato Video in the list and click on the info tab. There is a setting called 'YUV Handling'. Can you please change this setting to software only."</snip>
serato.com
steven wynen 1:43 AM - 8 March, 2019
ok super
the only thing now left to do is light a candle and say a little prayer for a serato video update
greeetz
Shaun Paul 5:39 AM - 11 March, 2019
Quote:

succes

Ayy Steven THANK YOU! I was having the same issue with my mid 2012 MBP retina. I updated from El Capitan to Mojave for the manage storage with iCloud ability. I thought I was out of luck with this, then attempting a clean install would be my last hope before reinstalling El Capitan or investing into a new MBP. I’m not sure what YUV stands for, but it worked lol. Thanks again man 👊🏼
steven wynen 8:30 PM - 11 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

succes

Ayy Steven THANK YOU! I was having the same issue with my mid 2012 MBP retina. I updated from El Capitan to Mojave for the manage storage with iCloud ability. I thought I was out of luck with this, then attempting a clean install would be my last hope before reinstalling El Capitan or investing into a new MBP. I’m not sure what YUV stands for, but it worked lol. Thanks again man 👊🏼

Glad I could help

Scroll down in this thread
I copied an answer from Serato here regarding the yuv handling

serato.com
steven wynen 8:31 PM - 11 March, 2019
Click on the link and scroll down of course...