Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

What are your top long time "simple" Feature Requests?

AKIEM 4:23 AM - 6 February, 2019
...features that "seem simple" to implement and have been requested for years and years....

1. Add FX to Sampler.
incredible you can't add a delay on a air horn or whatever

2. Indicate what crate a song is in.
like crates light up.

3. Lock BPM to either deck.
not just the deck being effected

4. Option for songs not to disappear from Prepare.
at least disappear only after played not just loaded

5. Play Count
cotdagoo 4:28 PM - 6 February, 2019
Day mode (windows user here)

Saving FX settings instead of reset to default
- Killing Ultra Knob & user ability to save custom FX was frankly a retarded move
- Removing custom XML user FX option (serato.com)

Reset FX on/off state on track load

Simple Library tools..
- play counts
- duplicates
- exporting
- sync folders/auto update crates

Return of the Mixtape Feature (developed but abandoned)

Prepare window deleting tracks once they are loaded..

I could probably just go on and on.. but those are some of the ones that would make a big difference for me.
Chino 11:14 PM - 6 February, 2019
Day mode & duplicate finder are two very useful features that have been requested for many years.
AKIEM 5:35 AM - 7 February, 2019
ive got plenty duplicates but cant delete them without knowing which crates they are in. sad
M.adaM 1:07 PM - 8 February, 2019
External screens for better browsing/remote update with browsing feature

Label art cover flow

Ability to customise the pad modes
Diego Johnsson 4:14 AM - 13 February, 2019
i am desperately waiting for a full midi xml command list, to finally map "hidden" features
AKIEM 6:01 AM - 13 February, 2019
Quote:
i am desperately waiting for a full midi xml command list, to finally map "hidden" features

good one, easy
DJMIYAGI 11:39 PM - 14 February, 2019
Play count, OSA remapping(sold my SP1 due to lack of this feature), save FX settings on exit, Day Mode and sampler functionality in offline mode.
Hawn Solo 11:39 PM - 14 February, 2019
Update Remote

Open up MIDI

Total length of selected crate
Dj cuervo 6:11 PM - 25 February, 2019
Duplicates
Daylight mode
Sound card configuration (Paid pack)
ability to select lost file new location instead of the scan
ability to record sample then loop it in the sampler (sampler record mode)
Ability to adjust video start point when attach to audio file to sync them (Serato Video update)
Frozone 6:23 PM - 26 February, 2019
Play Count - Day Mode - Serato Remote to support 8 pads - Delete missing files ( Grouped like Rekordbox )
AKIEM 9:22 AM - 12 March, 2019
Instant Double to Sampler
Bornd Fono 11:22 AM - 12 March, 2019
Quote:

That indeed would be huge!
Bornd Fono 11:26 AM - 12 March, 2019
Quote:
Sound card configuration (Paid pack)

That should be part of the Serato PLAY expansion pack... then this would finally have a right to exist (with the current features it is just a joke...)
SUBSTANCE 12:45 PM - 13 March, 2019
R.I.P. LIVEFEED
Dj cuervo 1:26 PM - 13 March, 2019
We need the Day mode Serato!!!! #Summeriscoming
AKIEM 2:45 PM - 13 March, 2019
every summer
Cwite 9:38 PM - 17 March, 2019
A display somewhere on the main screen that shows the current beat settings for FX without having to open the main FX panel.

Day mode

Play count

Wave form preview in the library.

Hover mouse over miniature art work shows expanded picture.

More smart crate rules.
Chino 1:47 AM - 18 March, 2019
Quote:
We need the Day mode Serato!!!! #Summeriscoming

+1!
Stefan dB 10:00 AM - 25 March, 2019
Playing of non PCM or floating point format WAV files on Serato DJ Pro. (files play in Serato Scratch)
Bornd Fono 12:41 PM - 25 March, 2019
Quote:
Playing of non PCM or floating point format WAV files on Serato DJ Pro. (files play in Serato Scratch)

Yeah, converting all the stuff I buy from bandcamp to PCM is a pain in the ass!
cotdagoo 2:52 PM - 26 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, converting all the stuff I buy from bandcamp to PCM is a pain in the ass!

I ended up switch my bandcamp downloads to AIFF and haven't run into this problem since.

Even better.. AIFF has better tagging/metadata and WAV doesn't ;)
Bornd Fono 3:32 PM - 26 March, 2019
Still the support for non PCM should be there and everybody should have the freedom to use the format which is most comfortable for him.
cotdagoo 3:54 PM - 26 March, 2019
Quote:
Still the support for non PCM should be there and everybody should have the freedom to use the format which is most comfortable for him.

For sure.. Just saying I got sick of waiting for a fix when I ran into this 2 years ago I think.. Serato's track record for implementing things in a timely matter is getting really out of hand.

AIFF has better options for me, and no conversion is necessary to download straight from bandcamp.

Wasn't trying to downplay the importance, just saying the grass may be greener with AIFF as it has more tagging and metadata abilities and same quality.
Stefan dB 9:01 AM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
AIFF has better options for me, and no conversion is necessary to download straight from bandcamp.

My problem is that I am sitting with a collection of almost 200 Gigs of music from Bandcamop, so even downloading AIFF is going to take time.

Like I said, Scratch LIVE have no issues with the files. Still give the warning, but works. That is all I require.
cotdagoo 1:40 PM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

My problem is that I am sitting with a collection of almost 200 Gigs of music from Bandcamop, so even downloading AIFF is going to take time.

Like I said, Scratch LIVE have no issues with the files. Still give the warning, but works. That is all I require.

Fully agree. Especially if they played in SSL. Losing features shouldn't happen when software updates.

I unfortunately re-downloaded everything from my bandcamp.. re-tagged, re-cued.. It took forever, so I understand just what kind of effort it would take. Still less time than the 3 years it's been since they acknowledged SDJ can't play these files:

June 21, 2016:
serato.com
Quote:
Geoff.B 10:09 PM - 21 June, 2016
It looks like Bandcamp is providing WAV files with the Extensible format type, which is not supported by Serato DJ at this time. We currently support PCM (8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit) and floating point (32-bit, 64-bit) format types only.

Are the tracks you're downloading encoded for surround sound, or are they just stereo? It looks like the solution for now is to change the file's encoding to one of the supported WAV format types, or download the tracks in a different format such as AIFF or FLAC if available.
Stefan dB 1:58 PM - 27 March, 2019
June 21, 2016:
serato.com
Quote:
Geoff.B 10:09 PM - 21 June, 2016
It looks like Bandcamp is providing WAV files with the Extensible format type, which is not supported by Serato DJ at this time. We currently support PCM (8-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit) and floating point (32-bit, 64-bit) format types only.

Are the tracks you're downloading encoded for surround sound, or are they just stereo? It looks like the solution for now is to change the file's encoding to one of the supported WAV format types, or download the tracks in a different format such as AIFF or FLAC if available.

I hear you, but how are these files playing in Scratch then if not supported?
Dj cuervo 4:43 PM - 27 March, 2019
What yall think they are going to announce at 4 today??
Bornd Fono 7:10 PM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
I hear you, but how are these files playing in Scratch then if not supported?

I think the compatibility listing was meant for SDJ... SSL was less picky obviously.
Bornd Fono 7:14 PM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
What yall think they are going to announce at 4 today??

I strongly hope they will announce the opening of the software for all hardware, so I can use SDJ Pro with my Xone 96.

If they announce another new feature which blows the software up more and is used by only a fractional amount of their user base instead of working on compatibility and bug fixes and the LONG LONG list of features their community is requesting for years...

... then I think I will download Traktor in the next few days and start working on the change in that direction. But that's just for me.
Caley Martin 5:51 PM - 31 March, 2019
33/45 toggle back on the virtual decks (there’s plenty of space for it). This should never have moved to a singular option within settings.
DJ STRETCH - NYC 11:04 PM - 7 April, 2019
Serato Smart crates have equal Criteria as ITUNES smart playlist.
example - added in the last ??/day(s) or Month(s). Not based on a date.
AKIEM 9:02 PM - 13 May, 2019
Quote:
Serato Smart crates have equal Criteria as ITUNES smart playlist.
example - added in the last ??/day(s) or Month(s). Not based on a date.
acemc 8:01 PM - 27 May, 2019
1) Day mode
2) Library view on 2nd display / Serato remote
3) Full midi xml command list
4) Save FX presets
5) Cover flow
Dj cuervo 4:41 PM - 29 May, 2019
Quote:
1) Day mode
4) Save FX presets
5) Cover flow

Update to Serato video or add Mix Emergency as full addon
vboyd666 8:52 PM - 29 May, 2019
Auto-Gain resolution on the overview wave form would be nice.
Bigheaded 8:23 AM - 30 May, 2019
more smart create criteria, as mentioned make it mimic iTunes.

jump to a letter, like if I'm scrolling thru my large music collection I wish I could press W on my keyboard and have it jump to the 1st artist that starts with W. And if I type WA it jumps to the 1st artist that starts with WA. And/or press left when scrolling thru my library and have it bring up an alphabet list. So I can get to a certain letter quicker, and not have to use my mouse or pay attention to where I'm at scroll wise. Maybe I just haven't used it enough, but for my large library I find Serato's file section to be pretty lacking and far more time consuming to use than it needs to be. Yes, there's the search box, but it doesn't work well with single letters because it searches all ID3 tags (I guess) If I type W in it to jump to my W artists it'll just go to the 1st song that has W in the title.

And it should be a simple fix to get Serato Video working on PCs. It's so laggy on my PC it's unusable. I've used 20+ other video playing programs and never not been able to playback 1080p video perfectly.
acemc 9:20 AM - 30 May, 2019
Quote:

What exactly will that do for me regarding my list?
Dj cuervo 3:43 PM - 30 May, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

What exactly will that do for me regarding my list?

I like all your suggestion and would like to add one..
Chino 4:12 AM - 31 May, 2019
I wonder what feature(s) Serato is working on...

www.instagram.com
acemc 6:58 PM - 2 June, 2019
Quote:
I like all your suggestion and would like to add one..

Lol - sorry, I thought you were giving me a tip to use a 2nd screen for the library .
M.adaM 11:56 AM - 4 June, 2019
Quote:
1) Day mode
4) Save FX presets
5) Cover flow

+1
Remote update would be nice. It was not updated pretty long time ago.
DJCake 1:34 AM - 20 June, 2019
Allowing 3rd party internet radio streaming apps to stream the metadata (song title/artist). Serato knows what the song is called (hence live playlists), why can't BUTT or Audio Hijack/Nicecast, etc use the info?
DJCake 1:42 AM - 20 June, 2019
2. Day/night modes
3. Dual screen use
4. Manage duplicates
5. Ability to remove tracks from library from within a smart crate. (Delete removes track from a normal crate but leaves it in the library. Delete in a smart crate should behave like deleting a track from the 'All' view) Maybe add an 'are you sure' dialog, or make the behaviour switchable in the set-up window.
fatdjsin 6:16 AM - 24 June, 2019
make a more visible scroll indicator.. grey on grey is really hard to find quickly when browsing songs
bring back the shift + needle search to alphabeticaly browse my music crate. (maybe an option i can activate)
djkee 1:55 AM - 27 June, 2019
L-R Pan effect. Simple manual left-right channel panning. How simple would that be?
Chris Topher the Dronte 4:55 AM - 3 July, 2019
Heya there!

First of all, like many others, enclose the xone:96 to supported hardware.
Second: An implemented online stremaing service would be very valuable for all the non-Pro's out here....

Regards, the not-flying-bird
DJCake 7:49 AM - 3 July, 2019
+1 for the streaming support. Serato could make a start by updating a nowplaying.txt file that 3rd party streaming apps can access to be able to stream the metadata with the music.

I thought of a 6th one, but it would fix a constant annoyance.

6. Stop Serato going full screen on start-up, or make it switchable in settings.
Blank_Disk 8:53 AM - 3 July, 2019
only thing I want to see added is proper midi management I have a serato pro controller but also have a paid license & a paid license only lets you use serato based hardware, which is a real shame, at the minute I'm using rekordbox as serato just don't listen to the users when we put in requests, there are some requests that have been on here for 5 years without reply and to be honest that's why I lost faith in the software, for example I put a suggestion on rekordbox to use Camelot & after a while its now implemented, where as with serato we asked for library updates and fix's, midi management, day mode just to name a few it just seems they keep releasing addons that you pay for not features requested, bet the next addon pack to buy will be serato midi or serato library.
Djkom 2:28 PM - 3 July, 2019
- PAD FX like in Rekordbox or at least independent beat length for the 3 FX buttons
- Better library management (already played tracks in green, ratings, multi list views,...etc)
- Open SDJ to any soundcard as an expansion pack
DJVertigo 4:30 PM - 8 July, 2019
Roll and Loop values must be separate. Using hardware with beatjump on makes accessing loop and roll values tricky. Who does 2 beat loop rolls?
Djkom 11:16 AM - 10 July, 2019
Quote:
Roll and Loop values must be separate. Using hardware with beatjump on makes accessing loop and roll values tricky. Who does 2 beat loop rolls?

It's EXACTLY my point: serato.com

Rolls with beat length > 1 are completely unused if not useless !
Cwite 3:55 PM - 31 July, 2019
Quote:

I get what you mean, but I use the longer roll loop values to quickly reset the Auto Loop Value after a normal shorter burst. It's a reflex now, finish the roll, hit 8 or 16 beats. I have also set up my controller so that if I press a longer roll loop, by pressing shift before letting go of the loop it turns into an auto loop of that value. So there are ways to maximise the layout.

Serato's Beat Jump controls suck. I have mapped my own which is better, but it's still not quite how I would want it in a perfect scenario, simply because midi can't be mapped to do it how I really want.

I totally agree that you should have separate auto loop and roll loop values though, to be able to roll loop within a normal loop would be great. You can kind of do it with the slicer mode whilst in a normal loop, but it's fiddly and not as intuitive to do.
Dj cuervo 12:54 PM - 2 August, 2019
1: Send playing deck to a sample slot with a keyboard shortcut or midi mapping ( auto remove song from playing deck) give us more decks to play with

2: record sample on the fly to sample deck .ie like 4 bar loop

3. sound card mapping

4. change censor button sound to stop drip effect instead of reverse
Chino 6:44 PM - 2 August, 2019
Quote:
2: record sample on the fly to sample deck .ie like 4 bar loop

YES!! +10000!!!
Bornd Fono 11:38 PM - 4 August, 2019
Quote:
3. sound card mapping

This should have priority over everything else. SO needed.
DJ Angst 2:14 PM - 19 September, 2019
- smart crate rules can do "OR", not just "AND"
- ability to "heart" 2 songs that mix together well, so you are reminded of the other matching track when playing live
- save FX settings
- disable tracks disappearing from prepare
- show wave form previews in library
AKIEM 9:58 PM - 21 September, 2019
good ones

- disable tracks disappearing from prepare

i hate that shit
DJ Angst 3:29 PM - 22 September, 2019
thanks! Tracks disappearing from Prepare effectively makes that feature useless. In fact, if it were implemented correctly, there could be several "prepare" fields above the library, so you could prepare several crates at once simply by dragging tracks into their respective crates from the library.
AKIEM 3:51 PM - 22 September, 2019
Quote:
thanks! Tracks disappearing from Prepare effectively makes that feature useless. In fact, if it were implemented correctly, there could be several "prepare" fields above the library, so you could prepare several crates at once simply by dragging tracks into their respective crates from the library.

good idea

Ive been 'complaining' about how it works forever and never even a response. Before the tracks changed color when played it maybe had a point, but since then (15 years or whatever) really no purpose - just makes it broken. Probably a very easy fix.
DJ Angst 5:40 PM - 22 September, 2019
I understand a "new" feature like adding "OR" instead of only "AND" to smart crate rules may require a bit of work, but in this case all they have to do is disable the code that removes tracks from the Prepare crate (or make it an option in settings). The present implementation is, exactly like you say, broken.
Hanginon 6:38 PM - 23 September, 2019
A dedicated Preview/Pre-Listen feature that doesn't require loading a song onto a deck or a sampler.

No worries about messing up "Play Counts" or turning line in Browser blue

Especially handy if running a two deck only controller.
SOROARA 3:32 PM - 29 September, 2019
HINDSIGHT LOOPS!

Literally was searching for ways to modify my looping settings and since 2008 it seems like its something we've wanted for a long time.
AKIEM 11:39 AM - 1 October, 2019
Quote:
HINDSIGHT LOOPS!

Literally was searching for ways to modify my looping settings and since 2008 it seems like its something we've wanted for a long time.

You mean auto-loop hits the end point and it jumps back to the start?

Ive been asking for that since auto-loop came out. If you ask me that's the logical way it should work in the first place so you can hear the loop then loop it.

sigh - some people are happy with beat jump or whatever...
JBF 1:06 PM - 24 December, 2019
In library/Crates Management :

1. - Ability to 'import' a folder tree into a corresponding Crates Tree
2. - Ability to sort Crates
3. - In the files view : Having the folders at Top of list of tracks and not alfa sorted along the contained tracks list for easier/faster folder navigation.
4. - Finding tracks in crates : Which crates contain a selected track (e.g. the suggested Higlight or being able to produce a filtered list of crates in a subview with the related crate where then can be acted upon. (The dynamic highligting might be processor intensive in big crates list).