DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SRM450 v1 crackling

aminoplacid 3:27 AM - 1 February, 2019
My 450 v1 is humming slightly in the top end and also crackling. This happens even when the gain is set to 0 (all the way down, not unity) with nothing plugged in. I am wondering if something is up with the high pass amp. Any easy suggestions? The nearest official service facility is a couple hour drive so if I can do myself, I would prefer. But higher voltage circuitry is a bit out of my comfort zone.

Watchm.youtube.com
DJ Reflex 11:02 PM - 1 February, 2019
Replacing the tweeter diaphragm is not hard and you can get a replacement on eBay for cheap. The amp might be a different story. I guess you'll have to figure out exactly what the problem is first.

The slight hissing is normal on mine too, but yes - I can hear the crackling in the video.

Found this...

Mar 09, 2011
There is likely a problem either with the speaker(s) in the unit or the amp in the unit.
First thing is to determine if "crackly" noise is present in BOTH the woofer and the tweeter.
IF only present in the tweeter, the diaphram is probably blown and will require replacement.
If it appears strongly in bothe the tweeter and woofer, then there is a faailure in the amp itself and will require troubleshooting with test equipment. Neither of these are DIY unless you are electronically adept, allthough the tweeter requires only minimal knowledge IF you get the correct replacement part.
RR437T 4:55 AM - 2 February, 2019
The most likely cause for the noise in your video is the pots/sliders are dirty. I would start by cleaning them. If that doesn't work, then try some other options.
RR437T 4:57 AM - 2 February, 2019
One thing I forgot to add is to clean the connectors and sockets.
aminoplacid 9:26 AM - 2 February, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

I suppose I didn’t mention that I did replace the tweeter diaphragm and still get the crackling. In terms of the pots (no sliders) I have the trim set to 0 with no inputs connected and am not adjusting any trim pots. So this cracking is just stand alone. No cables.

I am suspecting that there might be some dry connections on the op amps or something....the tweeter works but is just crackling. Not totally busted. Just guessing
DJ Reflex 2:30 PM - 2 February, 2019
Pots can crackle even if they haven't been moved in a while. Some good de-ox cleaner might do the trick. You might have to still open the cabinet up to get to the pots though. Worth a try. Good luck
aminoplacid 10:30 PM - 3 February, 2019
Well that did make that pot turn smoother but didn’t rid the crackling when stationary. I am suspecting a bad cap somewhere letting some noise thru. Going to try and find a local speaker repair shop to take a look.