DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Thoughts on entry level controllers?

dunkle74 6:26 PM - 31 January, 2019
I've been djing for a minute now and have been exclusively using turntables. Recently I've been looking into using a controller but not sure if its for me. With that being said, I'm interested to know what would be a good entry level controller? I've been looking into either the Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 or Pioneer DJ DDJ-SB3. Any thoughts on these (or any other controllers around the same price point) would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Logisticalstyles 8:26 PM - 31 January, 2019
If you have been DJing for a while then you will most likely outgrow the SB3 quickly. At least get something with jog wheel indicators.
sl1200 4:11 AM - 1 February, 2019
pdidy 4:26 AM - 1 February, 2019
I say NO to entry-level controllers for experienced dj's. I view it as a very bad investment when coming from high-end gear such as turntables. Experienced dj's tend to only purchase entry level controller as a secondary backup to their main controller. As stated above you will quickly outgrow an entry-level controller typically do to its size, quality, and professional appeal. They are not the industry standard of controllers for a reason.
pdidy 4:39 AM - 1 February, 2019

This guy is a rare exception to the rule while also being an exceptional and musician. I understand his reasoning but he is far from the "normal" dj.
pdidy 4:40 AM - 1 February, 2019
exceptional dj and musician
pdidy 4:50 AM - 1 February, 2019

Forgot to mention he is also sponsored by pioneer dj so it's to his benefit to promote their gear. [wink wink]
deejayfatcat 12:46 PM - 1 February, 2019
Eh, the forums tend to get hung up on gear. The reality is you can do 95% of what most forumites and festival acts do on an entry level controller. I have access to great gear and still really enjoy playing on my WEGO. The only caveat I will add is when sound quality comes into the equation. If the gear allows you to express yourself, then it’s good enough.
577er 5:13 PM - 1 February, 2019
I like fancy rotary mixers and vinyl for their sound quality & durability but I also like the cheap DDJSB2 because it’s fun and portable and more than gets the job done. It needs an additional mixer for volume and for mics but it’s definitely capable of rocking a party.
dj_soo 6:10 PM - 1 February, 2019
I tend to go more pro just for the little things like multiple audio outputs, platter indicators, gain knobs, and a few more dedicated controls.

Not that you can’t rock a party with a beginner controller - I just prefer the convenience of having to bring less crap when I want to use a controller, and usually, beginner gear requires some extras to use in certain environments - like having to bring an extra mixer for more headroom on a bus powered controller or if I need a monitor, or having to bring an extra midi controller if I want some more dedicated controls.
mrdjtee 2:38 PM - 17 March, 2019
Beginner controllers are just that. They are for beginners but saying that they are more than adequate for straight up djiing however if u have the funds go for a more high end controller especially if you are using Serato. Look for outputs that handle xlr for a start as low end controllers tend to have rca I’m not gonna recommend any specific model that would spoil ur fun but keep an eye on ur budget maybe 2nd hand will do
RR437T 2:07 AM - 18 March, 2019
If you can't afford a more expensive controller now, another option would be to buy a cheap one, and when you get more money you can add more functionality by getting another midi controller like a Novation launchpad pro. I use one with my SX2 and am very happy with it.
RR437T 2:23 AM - 18 March, 2019
"Look for outputs that handle xlr for a start as low end controllers tend to have rca"

It really doesn't matter. Most, if not all controllers, are not balanced. So, even if you have xlr outputs, you won't be able to use them as balanced. Only 2 of the 3 pins are used, so its the same as using rca outs. There's no difference.

If you have a situation where you need balanced operation, You would use a DI box.
RonDu 6:08 PM - 19 March, 2019
I consider myself experienced (20+ years) and got an entry level controller (SB1) and I'm good with it. I don't use it much (I use turntables mainly) but it does everything I need it to do - play music. I don't care that it looks like a toy (looks better in the travel case), I have never used more than two decks at a time (even with turntables), and the only effect I use is echo. I get the looks too when I'm setting up but I soon have them "pros" standing behind or next to me while I'm playing as they continuously nod in approval.

My only gripe, which I learned the hard way on a BIG sound system was the sound quality. It is fine for house parties and small gigs but when playing out on a BIG or professional sound system like an arena it is weak. Doesn't compare to the higher end controllers that have XLR outs. You have to put the gain on the outgoing mixing board high and watch the controller Master because it will distort. My solution was copping the DBX GoRack. Now I am good whenever I need to pull it out.

Just mis dos centavos.
577er 4:31 PM - 20 March, 2019
Quote:
"Look for outputs that handle xlr for a start as low end controllers tend to have rca"

It really doesn't matter. Most, if not all controllers, are not balanced. So, even if you have xlr outputs, you won't be able to use them as balanced. Only 2 of the 3 pins are used, so its the same as using rca outs. There's no difference.

If you have a situation where you need balanced operation, You would use a DI box.

Have you opened up “most controllers” to see if they skimped on $0.00001 worth of metal to add grounding to the XLR outputs? Seems like an odd statement.
RR437T 3:22 AM - 21 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Have you opened up “most controllers” to see if they skimped on $0.00001 worth of metal to add grounding to the XLR outputs? Seems like an odd statement.

It may be an odd statement, but its factually correct. Balanced and single ended components are not compatible. It has to be one or the other. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by adding a ground to the xlr outputs, but if you have a balanced out on 1 piece, and a SE input on the other, the number 2 pin needs to be shunted to the ground pin. That basically turns it into a 2 conductor rca cable. You may have noticed on some components, there's a pin diagram right next to the connector. Its there so you can figure out what type of connection you need. Otherwise, you'll be shorting the circuit by connecting a - with a +.

The above only applies if you're mixing the 2 circuit types. In my first post, I said it doesn't matter because the controller is not balanced. This is something that you can easily check. On the spec sheet, you need to see 2 sets of specs for the output. The balanced output will be 6 db higher that the unbalanced out. If you only see 1 set, using the xlr connection is identical to using rca's.

As an example, here's a link to an owners manual for a balanced preamp. Starting on page one, you'll see dual specs to whatever applies.