DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SSL vs SD Pro

Dj Classic One 2:58 AM - 31 January, 2019
I currently have a 2014 MacBook Pro with IOS Mojave. I was considering and very interested in switching from Serato dj Pro to SSL, Will I have problems down the road because SSL is no longer supported or used ?
DJ Reflex 4:43 AM - 31 January, 2019
Depends what mixer you use and if you ever plan on updating your computer operating system. I am still running SSL with 2012 Macbook Pro and Rane TTM 57 mixer. Everything works just fine and I have no ambitions to upgrade to SDJ.
To each his own - if it works, then use it.
youngwill82 7:15 AM - 31 January, 2019
So what exactly is the huge difference between SAL and SDJ Pro? I always thought SDJ Pro was just the updated version of what SSL used to be....
youngwill82 7:19 AM - 31 January, 2019
SSL* not SAL... oops
Dj Classic One 3:59 PM - 31 January, 2019
I have a Pioneer djm s3...so whenever I update my computer operating system to the latest version..I won’t be able to use SSL ???
DJ G-Rebel 6:09 PM - 31 January, 2019
Quote:
I have a Pioneer djm s3...so whenever I update my computer operating system to the latest version..I won’t be able to use SSL ???

Install OS X Yosemite. So you can run SDJ and SSL
Dj Classic One 6:28 PM - 31 January, 2019
Ok thanks, I’ll downgrade from Mojave to Yosemite
DJ G-Rebel 6:40 PM - 31 January, 2019
Quote:
Ok thanks, I’ll downgrade from Mojave to Yosemite

Even the newest SDJ Version 2.1. runs flawlessly on Yosemite. I've updated a few months ago to Mojave but it was horrible.. So i downgraded again
Dj Classic One 6:45 PM - 31 January, 2019
Gotcha!! Appreciate the info !!
popnwave 5:55 PM - 1 February, 2019
DJM-S3 will not work with SSL. Nothing made in the past 5? years at this point will. You need to look at stuff from 2014 or older.
Dj Classic One 6:11 PM - 1 February, 2019
So I guess I’m stuck with Serato Dj !!!
youngwill82 6:13 PM - 1 February, 2019
Quote:
So what exactly is the huge difference between SSL and SDJ Pro? I always thought SDJ Pro was just the updated version of what SSL used to be....

anyone??
dj_soo 6:14 PM - 1 February, 2019
Last piece of gear to support SSL is the Rane 61 and 62 released back in like 2012. Personally I stopped using SSL years ago even though I had a 62.
Mr. Goodkat 9:35 PM - 1 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
So what exactly is the huge difference between SSL and SDJ Pro? I always thought SDJ Pro was just the updated version of what SSL used to be....

anyone??

sdj
better timestretch (paid update)
more cuepoints
flip (paid)
efx(paid)
more sample player slots 6 v 8
key shift
sync
beat jump
slicer
slip

ssl
lighter on system
sounds better normally
sounds worse with keylock
youngwill82 10:46 PM - 1 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

anyone??

sdj
more cuepoints
flip (paid)
efx(paid)
key shift
sync
beat jump
slicer
slip

ssl
lighter on system
sounds better normally

Thank you. For that. I was always curious... i guess I got into the game after SSL was even available anymore.
al83 12:11 AM - 2 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

anyone??

sdj
more cuepoints
flip (paid)
efx(paid)
key shift
sync
beat jump
slicer
slip

ssl
lighter on system
sounds better normally

Just to add:
SSL:
loads in more than half the time of SDJ 2.1
Rock solid
Album art on deck and in bottom left corner
Standard text string editing behaviour - in SDJ you are not able to double click a word to select it whilst editing crate names or metadata within ID3 fields, pretty annoying when tagging hundreds of songs..
JayB1200 5:48 PM - 2 February, 2019
I use SDJ for everything now except Relocate Lost Files, SSL is way better at that for some reason.
youngwill82 6:25 PM - 2 February, 2019
I have only used SDJ and not only can I rename ID3 tags within their field (by double clicking and editing) but also Crate names.

the program loads quick enough (this isn’t really an issue for me) the software runs perfectly and smoothly ass soon as it’s opened. (Aprox. 3-4 seconds to load and then it’s fine)

I have album art in the library (but I don’t use it takes up too much space on my little laptop)

And I haven’t had any issues with lost files because I always make sure my music is in the same place, so cannot comment on that.

All in all, I still can’t see the benefit... but to each his own I guess.
youngwill82 6:26 PM - 2 February, 2019
the benefit to SSL over SDJ
al83 9:29 PM - 2 February, 2019
Quote:
I have only used SDJ and not only can I rename ID3 tags within their field (by double clicking and editing) but also Crate names.

No, you’ve not understood what I said, you can’t (in SDJ) double click a word whilst already within the ID3 field to select that word, it selects the whole text string instead. It’s bizarre behaviour and I haven’t seen it in any other program. It seems unimportant but when editing hundreds of fields in a session it really makes a difference.
youngwill82 9:55 PM - 5 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

No, you’ve not understood what I said, you can’t (in SDJ) double click a word whilst already within the ID3 field to select that word, it selects the whole text string instead. It’s bizarre behaviour and I haven’t seen it in any other program. It seems unimportant but when editing hundreds of fields in a session it really makes a difference.

Oh I see what you mean. Yea... I’ve kind of dealt with that... still, it’s curous as to why SDJ would be like that and not SSL... I guess they’re entirely different. So not just an upgraded version like I originally thought.
al83 10:17 PM - 5 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh I see what you mean. Yea... I’ve kind of dealt with that... still, it’s curous as to why SDJ would be like that and not SSL... I guess they’re entirely different. So not just an upgraded version like I originally thought.

Yep it’s completely bizarre, no idea how it even got out of the alpha stage of development..ridiculous.
AKIEM 11:10 PM - 5 February, 2019
SSL
The Bridge
Vinyl Scroll
Live Feed
Robejz 10:50 AM - 6 February, 2019
Can you play pong with SDJ? That's one big reason for staying with SSL :-)
al83 11:24 AM - 6 February, 2019
Quote:
Can you play pong with SDJ? That's one big reason for staying with SSL :-)

Haha, defo no contest now, completely forgot about the pong Easter egg!
Gio Alex 8:28 PM - 8 February, 2019
Quote:
SSL
The Bridge
Vinyl Scroll
Live Feed

The bridge isn't that fun if you don't have like a 57SL, 61, 62, or 68. Or Some sort of midi enabled mixer at least.

I used to use it with a 57SL, 2 techs and an APC 40 on a stand. Lot interesting ideas came about. Too bad SSL didn't sync with ableton. Would've been nice to see a more modern Bridge.
AKIEM 11:24 PM - 8 February, 2019
poorly implemented Link is probably all we ever get