Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Anyone else having sound quality issues using Link with Ableton?

dillyridahs 11:02 PM - 20 January, 2019
I'm using the link feature to sync tempos/beatgrids between Serato DJ and Ableton Live. DJing with Serato and using Ableton to trigger acapellas, beats and FX.

The main issue I'm having is that once I activate link for a track, the sound quality in Serato degrades. Bass heavy songs start to get subtly crackly with some audio artifacts in the background, for example.

I was hoping pitch n time would help resolve the issue, but no luck.

I've talked with support and done everything I can to make sure all the software is up to date, CPU is free, and that my cables/connections are all good.

Any ideas?
DjSyndic8 5:19 AM - 21 January, 2019
have you purchased "Serato Pitch N Time"?
dillyridahs 6:23 PM - 21 January, 2019
I have
DjSyndic8 6:59 PM - 21 January, 2019
Quote:
I have

and your only having this issue when you pitch + or - what?
also on ableton Live there is a pitch n time feature that you can enable depending if your playing a looped beat or a song... are you familiar with this feature?
dillyridahs 11:14 PM - 22 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
I have

and your only having this issue when you pitch + or - what?
also on ableton Live there is a pitch n time feature that you can enable depending if your playing a looped beat or a song... are you familiar with this feature?

Hey, thanks for chatting through this with me.

So I think there is definitely more of an effect when going up or down from the original tempo, but the sound quality is still crackly and pop-y even at original tempo. I can have a track playing with Link engaged, hear distortion, and then turn link off and it all smooths out again. Sadly I'm starting to think it's just a limitation with using Link
Alex D Cohen 5:02 AM - 13 May, 2019
I'm having this exact problem when jamming with a buddy using Link. Every now and then it starts to sound as though it's clipping (it isn't), and if I toggle Link off, the sound immediately reverts back to normal with no distortion or clipping-like sounds
dillyridahs 1:45 PM - 13 May, 2019
Happy to hear I'm not the only one. I tried going through Serato support with this, but they said they couldn't replicate what I was talking about and closed the ticket.

So I've stopped trying to integrate Live for now, which sucks.

Let me know if you figure anything out
zethy67 10:46 AM - 25 May, 2019
Everybody got the same problem link between serato and ableton don't work correctly,
Quote:
Happy to hear I'm not the only one. I tried going through Serato support with this, but they said they couldn't replicate what I was talking about and closed the ticket.

So I've stopped trying to integrate Live for now, which sucks.

Let me know if you figure anything out

The same for me, ableton link serato don't work correctly, i tested link with traktor and it work fine, no click pop sound...
inputoutput 2:42 PM - 26 May, 2019
I just started messing with Link recently. I have not experienced the issues you describe however I have a work around if you have or are willing to get certain hardware. Before I started experimented with Link I was connecting SDJ to Ableton via midi. I was accomplishing this by using TR-Sync. This requires having a supported Roland drum machine (TR-808, TR-909, TR-8 or TR-8S). Its not a free solution but I have really enjoyed the workflow of utilizing a drum machine with SDJ and by doing so you get a midi connection to Ableton that is rock solid. I like Link, but because it relies on network connection there is more potential for issues. I would hesitate using Link in a live situation unless i had full control of the network.
Serato, Support
Dave. 1:52 AM - 28 May, 2019
Hey guys,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with Ableton Link with Serato DJ Pro.

If you're having trouble with this feature, it would be great if you could open a help request so we can investigate this behaviour in further detail. You can open a help request using the green button "Open Help Request" at the bottom of this page. Please include as much information as possible about the setup you're using when experiencing this problem such as:

- Ableton version
- SDJ Pro version
- System report file: support.serato.com
- LatencyMon report (if you're on Windows): support.serato.com

Cheers,
Dave
DRDG 12:05 PM - 29 September, 2019
Same problem here. The only thing I can add is that the popping audio, clackling and artifacts only starts when I press SYNC on my controller (NUMARK NVii).
When I press SYNC again, all the audio artifacts are gone and offcourse ableton and SERATO go out of sync.

Despite the bad sound, I tested with sync ON and I can tell all stays in sync very tightly during 1hour test

I also tested an alternative >> VDJ 8, all is in sync and crystal clear sound. In my opinion, the bug is in SERATO.

Tested with:
Ableton live (V10.1.1, and V9.7.2) >> 1 link activated
Serato (2.2.2 and 2.0.5) >> 1 link activated
OS High Sierra and Sierra
DRDG 9:09 PM - 13 October, 2019
Digging a little deeper I noticed that my controller shows up with USB 1.0 specs (12mb / sec) instead of usb 2.0. The USB port / hub on my Mac shows USB2.0 (480mb / sec).
I tried another USB 2.0 cable, and both ports but the Numark NVii always shows 12mb / sec, it should be higher.
Could that cause the issue ?

USB 2.0-bus:

Besturingsbestand hostcontroller: AppleUSBEHCIPCI
PCI-apparaatcode: 0x1c26
PCI-revisiecode: 0x0005
PCI-fabrikantcode: 0x8086

Hub:

Productcode: 0x2513
Fabrikantcode: 0x0424 (SMSC)
Versie: b.b3
Snelheid: Maximaal 480 Mb/sec
Locatiecode: 0xfd100000 / 1
Beschikbare stroom (mA): 500
Vereiste stroom (mA): 2
Extra stroom in werking (mA): 0
Ingebouwd: Ja

Hub:

Productcode: 0x005a
Fabrikantcode: 0x0409 (NEC Corporation)
Versie: 1.00
Snelheid: Maximaal 480 Mb/sec
Locatiecode: 0xfd120000 / 3
Vereiste stroom (mA): 100

NV mkII Graphics:

Productcode: 0x203b
Fabrikantcode: 0x15e4
Versie: 2.00
Snelheid: Maximaal 12 Mb/sec
Fabrikant: Numark
Locatiecode: 0xfd123000 / 4
Vereiste stroom (mA): 0

NV mkII Audio:

Productcode: 0x103b
Versie: 2.00
Locatiecode: 0xfd122000 / 6
Vereiste stroom (mA): 0

NV mkII Control:

Productcode: 0x003b
Versie: 0.41
Locatiecode: 0xfd121000 / 5
Vereiste stroom (mA): 200
DRDG 10:48 PM - 23 October, 2019
Another reproducible audio artifact when Ableton Link activated AND Sync (Link) on the deck is active >> Horrible continuous audio popping while adjusting the pitch with the pitchfader.
DRDG 1:00 PM - 1 November, 2019
Losing faith..... tested the whole thing again, this time with NI Traktor and guess what, it works flawlessly

So conclusion, tested on old MacBook Pro 2011 (i5 2,4Ghz, 8GBDDR3 1333Mhz, SSD storage) an Numark NVii:
VirtualDJ 8.3 and 8.4 (VDJ 2020) >> working flawlessly and smooth using Link & Sync
Traktor Pro 3 >> working flawlessly and smooth using Link & Sink
Serato DJ Pro >> Audioartifacts when using Link & Sync :((

OK, maybe, from professional point of view, my gear is cheap entry level but still.....
I'm very tempted to go back where I came from ..... NI Traktor
Cibby 5:08 PM - 3 November, 2019
My buddy and I are also having the audio issues from time to time.

I'm curious if any of you are also having sync issues where Ableton loses the 1/down beat. It happened yesterday a bunch of times. We kept tempo at 120 the whole time and were synched at the start. All of the beat grids in Serato seem solid. I was jumping around using cue points, but had quantize on and set at 4 beats.

I'm wondering if it could be:
1) My buddy has a 2011 MBR running Ableton 9. Is Link more solid on 10?
2) Using cue points a bunch will confuse Ableton
3) My beatgrids aren't actually solid
4) Quantize or the 4 beat setting

Anyone else have similar and have suggested fixes?
DJ Alegre 12:41 AM - 10 November, 2019
have distortion problems with link on and noticable when moving tempo adjust slider up or down.
not using ableton, using macbook pro 2017 model, new ddj 1000 srt, and serato dj pro, when i transition to another track and move tempo i can hear the distortion, when i turn off link same tracks no distortion. tried several tracks scenerios and same thing. any fix for this.
Rich Biscuit 8:16 PM - 19 November, 2019
I’m also having sound issues - very badly ‘garbled’ at times (especially with two Serato channels up + Live playing clips on a third), pops and clicks when link engaged and synced on both Serato and Ableton. Def not able to use to play out.

I wondered if it was simply not a powerful enough computer but as I read what is above, wonder about that? My gear:

MB Pro 2015 maxed out processor and 16GB RAM running latest versions of Serato and Live
Pioneer DDJ SZ
Akai APC Mini to fire clips in Live

Any ideas?
Cibby 8:31 PM - 19 November, 2019
Have you filed a support ticket yet? I filed one about the sync issues I'm having and they asked for a video of it. If you can capture the issue you're having and include that w your ticket it might help them dig into it.
Rich Biscuit 8:41 PM - 19 November, 2019
Thanks Cibby, will do
Jefe411 6:37 PM - 5 April, 2020
Has anyone resolved this issue? Since we are are all locked down and everyone is looking into streaming live performances, I decided to get my Pioneer DDJ-SX with Serato and Ableton Live up and running in SYNC mode. Once I turn on the LINK in Ableton, the track playing in Serato has audio artifacts. Turning off the Ableton Link solves the problem.

I am running a 2019 Max Mini with 32GB of RAM and so uP resources are solid. Seems like a link issue.

Jeff
Matteo Rollo 8:53 AM - 22 April, 2020
Hello Everybody!

I have the same problem of Jefe411 and dillyridahs. Has anyone solved this problem? I am really sad for not being able to express my creativity by connecting ableton and serato. Thank you all.
Jefe411 1:18 PM - 22 April, 2020
I have not solved it and yes this is terrible.
Matteo Rollo 1:25 PM - 22 April, 2020
yes it's a shame. I'm trying to link ableton to serato sending midi clock from my controller (i use a roland dj 505 and it has a midi out) and using an external audio interface. i spent a lot of money for a test. i have no words. I hope it will work, but if you don't have a midi port on you controller you have not chance. It's a bug of serato and serato have to resolve it. in the next two days i will receive the new external audio interface and i will give you feedback.
Matteo Rollo 4:29 PM - 24 April, 2020
hello guys. I've tried with the solution written in my previously post and it's work without audio glitch. Ableton's clip and serato are in sync. YOU HAVE TO USE SERATO "CRATE"!!! if the tracks were not taken by crave they will sound bad!!
Put your music after analyzed in a create. I would try to sync ableton and serato using link and take tracks from CRATE. In the next days i will try it!
Jefe411 4:34 PM - 24 April, 2020
All of my tracks are in crates. Are you sure this solved the issue?
Matteo Rollo 10:24 AM - 26 April, 2020
The Problem after two days is back. I have sent to support an audio with glitch and my system profiler file. I hope they help us. If i have news i will write here
kyleawayan 6:52 PM - 30 April, 2022
Anyone have any updates on this topic? I'm having the same issue where audio quality is not good with Ableton Link
onthe1 11:54 AM - 4 June, 2022
Ableton Link seems to take up a lot of CPU so unless you have a powerhouse laptop, which I don't unless I'm using Serato DJ Pro 1, I always turn link on then off (actually I'm using Traktor now, but it's the same problem) when I'm ready to bring in the next track or samples/plug-ins from my Akai Force or Ableton.

I might want to make adjustments by ear anyway, so no big deal, but if I want to have link on all of the time it's two computers you need, and you will see lots of pros doing this, and for other reasons too. (latency, for one)

onthe1