Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato Video on Windows 10

NitekrewDubs 11:03 PM - 18 January, 2019
I am having a ton of issues with Serato Video on my windows machine. Is there ANY way Serato could maybe patch an update to fix the various issues causing crashes? It doesn't matter what I set my video settings to, what codec I use, how I format the videos I use. The only guarantee I have using this product is an inevitable crash and a video wall that is non functioning. What gives?

The computer I am using is an MSI Leopard g63 Pro

Computer Build Stats:

Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @2.20GHz
Intel UHD 630 Integrated Card
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 Video card
16 GB of DDR4 2400 RAM
Windows 10

I feel with this build I should be getting no issues with crashing/memory yet I am, and the only fix I am finding is "Get a mac". Which isn't an affordable option for me right now. Any answers?
popnwave 12:07 AM - 19 January, 2019
Which version of Win 10 are you running? 1803 or later?
NitekrewDubs 12:38 AM - 19 January, 2019
1803 indeed
NitekrewDubs 12:43 AM - 19 January, 2019
I just noticed my Serato DJ Pro was outdated, just updated to 8.1, lets see if that fixes anything
DJ Tecniq 2:17 AM - 21 January, 2019
My best suggestion make sure you update the video card drivers from the manufacturer website.
DJ Tecniq 2:24 AM - 21 January, 2019
Regarding a Serato Video update or patch it will never happen. The program has not been updated in years and there’s still a few bugs in Serato Video. It’s been rumored an update was coming but nothing yet. If they don’t update the plugin soon it will just be phased out and not function properly with new versions of Serato.
popnwave 4:21 PM - 21 January, 2019
I think the consensus is that Win10 1803, minus Quicktime, grab the K Lite codec pack and then play around with the settings. Then comes trying buffer sizes and other settings which might give you decent playback but then you still have to deal with the preview windows going black.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:08 PM - 21 January, 2019
Honestly if your not willing to buy a Mac you should just roll with VDJ8, this is my opinion.

They have really come along way and the video is on point.

Here’s a sample of it running with a ton shit going on, live camera feeds, twitter feed, media both pictures and videos, animated logos and it’s being recorded with in virtual DJ on a six-year-old Asus windows laptop.

youtu.be

With the machine mentioned above you could probably do a whole lot more then what I’ve done here.

Again me saying VDJ8 is the better way to go on a Windows machine is my opinion.
Culprit 7:18 AM - 23 January, 2019
It is in all honesty a beast of a program on windows. I second VDJ8 for optimum video performance.
Pop-I 5:40 PM - 1 February, 2019
I want to use Serato DJ as my DJ software. But as I also see in the discussion above Serato Video sucks on windows. Laggy as fuck when I use it. On my Mac it works perfectly and that computer is not even close to my PC (i7-2,8gHz - 32 gb ram - GTX1050 gpu).

So is there something like mixemergency for windows?
popnwave 5:51 PM - 1 February, 2019
Quote:
I want to use Serato DJ as my DJ software. But as I also see in the discussion above Serato Video sucks on windows. Laggy as fuck when I use it. On my Mac it works perfectly and that computer is not even close to my PC (i7-2,8gHz - 32 gb ram - GTX1050 gpu).

So is there something like mixemergency for windows?

Not as of this time. Not even aware of anyone beta testing anything either.
Culprit 7:27 PM - 1 February, 2019
Nick at Inklen has no intention of releasing a Windows Version.

Your best bet is Virtual DJ
DJ Tecniq 8:06 PM - 1 February, 2019
Try to update your video card drivers and all OS updates. Sometimes Windows needs the latest video drivers. It’s worth a shot.
Johnny.S 4:40 AM - 25 February, 2019
I have the same problem, I have a razer blade 2018 with the same specs and I am like this is a beast of a machine and the serato video cant handle it. Time to return the laptop Boooooo
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:51 PM - 25 February, 2019
Quote:
Time to return the laptop Boooooo

No, time to give up on Serato Video......
Culprit 11:30 PM - 25 February, 2019
i would highly recommend you give Virtual DJ a shot in the meantime before you return that laptop.
Pop-I 12:32 PM - 3 March, 2019
Seems like I actually made it work OK afer disabling c-state and turbo-boost in the bios. Also moved all video to local disk instead of external. Gonna test a bit more, but its looking good.
Culprit 9:20 PM - 3 March, 2019
Quote:
Seems like I actually made it work OK afer disabling c-state and turbo-boost in the bios. Also moved all video to local disk instead of external. Gonna test a bit more, but its looking good.

Good news dude, was your external an SSD drive or a rotational drive?
Culprit 9:20 PM - 3 March, 2019
Also do not use those Seagate backup slim drives for video or audio, they do not work right for some reason. Not good for live events. I have bought several and all they do is cause problems.
Culprit 9:21 PM - 3 March, 2019
For other uses like backup or normal computer operation they work fine, just not good for live events
Pop-I 8:16 PM - 24 March, 2019
So I did a 5 hour set last night. Serato video played well for the first hour, but after that videos where again a bit laggy and sometimes the FX just could not keep up. So... come september I will buy myself the 2019 MacBook Pro.
DJ Tecniq 10:24 PM - 24 March, 2019
^You don’t need a 2019 MacBook Pro I’m using a 2014 w/dedicated graphics card and video is flawless.
Pop-I 9:40 AM - 25 March, 2019
Yeah my 2012 was the best pc I gave ever owned. But when graphics card stopped working I was foolish enough to buy a Dell without checking how well it worked with serato. It's really good for music production but ain't optimal for serato. So now I am holding out for the release of the new Mac book pro.
popnwave 2:59 PM - 25 March, 2019
Quote:
Yeah my 2012 was the best pc I gave ever owned. But when graphics card stopped working I was foolish enough to buy a Dell without checking how well it worked with serato. It's really good for music production but ain't optimal for serato. So now I am holding out for the release of the new Mac book pro.

Only -new- MBP I'd buy is if they bring those rumored 16-16.5" models out. Otherwise I'd get a 2015 loaded at this point and save a ton of $$.
Pop-I 4:45 PM - 25 March, 2019
Only -new- MBP I'd buy is if they bring those rumored 16-16.5" models out. Otherwise I'd get a 2015 loaded at this point and save a ton of $$.

As long as I get one without the touchbar AKA where the fuck did ESC and my F-keys go. :)
popnwave 4:48 PM - 25 March, 2019
Quote:
As long as I get one without the touchbar AKA where the fuck did ESC and my F-keys go. :)

In that case I wish they would make a 13" with discreet/dedicated GFX options then. Because unless Apple listens to us vocal users who hate the Touchbar, the 13" is the only model you can get without one, but none of those have the beefier GFX options :(
Pop-I 10:00 AM - 26 March, 2019
Yes! A 13" would be great. I allways want to keep my gear as light and easy to transport as possible. I love my Denon MC6000Mk2 because of its small formfactor and still having a prograde soundcard and all the conections to not have need for an external mixer.

I just hope they could make a MC6000MK3. Need pads, so now I have an F1 for padcontrols
magfox131 6:29 PM - 29 July, 2019
Wooo Serato Video On Windows when You gonna fixed this ??? i Had i5 Intel graphics 4000 HD still Lagged !
magfox131 6:31 PM - 29 July, 2019
Virtual DJ8 is flowless in Video why can't Serato DJ Pro Video cant solve the Problem on Windows .
DJ Tecniq 6:49 PM - 29 July, 2019
Quote:
Wooo Serato Video On Windows when You gonna fixed this ??? i Had i5 Intel graphics 4000 HD still Lagged !
i5 is not going to cut it unless you have a dedicated video card. Intel Graphics are not good enough and SV on a pc is mainly luck. PCs seem to really struggle with Serato Video regardless of the video card. Serato Video is def suited more towards a Mac.
magfox131 1:09 AM - 1 August, 2019
yup youre right mac has no issues because i had a macbook also but the point is how come VDJ8 video program its works on PC i3 i5 i7 with Intel Video Card HD even lower specs video card it just a matter of programming to fixed on Serato Video any chance you could fix it on PC format.
DJ Tecniq 2:43 AM - 1 August, 2019
Quote:
yup youre right mac has no issues because i had a macbook also but the point is how come VDJ8 video program its works on PC i3 i5 i7 with Intel Video Card HD even lower specs video card it just a matter of programming to fixed on Serato Video any chance you could fix it on PC format.
unfortunately Serato Video is more taxing on a pc. Virtual DJ is more equipped for pc and doesn’t require as much cpu as Serato Video. Serato Video has always been this way and for some reason requires a dedicated video card for best performance. When Serato program was written it was on a Mac so there’s reasons why it wouldn’t work on pc as smoothly.
DJ Tecniq 2:46 AM - 1 August, 2019
However updating the video card on pc may help i just don’t see intel graphics cards on PCs actually work however intel graphics on a Mac w/Serato Video can at least function. Some 13” Macs can run video quite well.
Culprit 4:25 AM - 1 August, 2019
I think the major difference is virtual DJ utilizes direct x or similar vs Serato video using open gl
popnwave 1:25 PM - 1 August, 2019
VDJ also runs pretty damn well on macOS as well.. so whatever they are doing that managed to optimize it on both platforms.
Culprit 5:51 PM - 1 August, 2019
Quote:
VDJ also runs pretty damn well on macOS as well.. so whatever they are doing that managed to optimize it on both platforms.

The last few years they have been on a mission to be a top playing contender in the virtual disc jockey space and its been paying off as more people experiment with the software.
SBDJ 10:21 AM - 12 August, 2019
I did actually contact Serato and ask if they would be open to working with someone to create a credible video plugin for PC but unfortunately didn't get anywhere.

I had a quick poke around and did actually manage to get to a position whereby my own test application was launched instead of Serato Video, established communication and started receiving real-time data from Serato DJ. It was quite easy to pull live track information out of that data, but other information is proving a bit trickier to decode!

Now I've said that, I expect Serato will close it in the next update lol...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:49 PM - 12 August, 2019
Well if anyone can fix it I’m sure you can SBDJ 😉
White Video Disco 1:20 PM - 12 September, 2019
Hi All!

I have been working with serato video for 3 years!
Acer:
i5
gForce 940MX 4 GB + Intel dedicated
8 GB DDR4
128 SSD (Win + all softver)
1 TB HDD (Videoclip + music)
Windows 10 (always updated)

It works quite well and stable with Serato 1.9.1 HDMI & VGA signal.

All videos are in H264. (Xtenda, Smashvideo, VJ Street, Mixmash and own edits, 5000 pieces)
I added Serato.exe + Seratovideo.exe to my video card setup. (GForce)
- 1 GB video buffer settings
- High quality
- Preserve picture

Serato 2.0 ++ does not work well. There are many music videos that are distorted!!!

I work with Pioneer DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SX-W controllers.

As far as I know, in Hungary only I use Serato Video. : D

White Video Disco
Zoop 11:34 AM - 17 September, 2019
Quote:
Hi All!

I have been working with serato video for 3 years!
Acer:
i5
gForce 940MX 4 GB + Intel dedicated
8 GB DDR4
128 SSD (Win + all softver)
1 TB HDD (Videoclip + music)
Windows 10 (always updated)

It works quite well and stable with Serato 1.9.1 HDMI & VGA signal.

All videos are in H264. (Xtenda, Smashvideo, VJ Street, Mixmash and own edits, 5000 pieces)
I added Serato.exe + Seratovideo.exe to my video card setup. (GForce)
- 1 GB video buffer settings
- High quality
- Preserve picture

Serato 2.0 ++ does not work well. There are many music videos that are distorted!!!

I work with Pioneer DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SX-W controllers.

As far as I know, in Hungary only I use Serato Video. : D

White Video Disco

I would try to lower the videomemory in the Serato settings a bit (I went from the max. 2Gb to 1 Gb)
Then you can switch off network wifi/blue thooth drivers in the device manager (in Windows)
If not fixed: download latency monitor, run it while using Serato and look up in Lat. Mon. what coses problem.
DJ LUIS TORO 7:16 AM - 24 September, 2019
buenas noches,

Hasta que Serato no deje a Quicktime como su proveedor de codecs va ser imposible trabajar en Windows, al trabajar con 32bits y que Quicktime no se actualize desde hace 7 años, no habra nada que hacer al respecto. He probado de todo para poder trabajar con Serato Video y no he conseguido nada de nada, me dicen compra Mac pero a mi no me gusta para nada, ojala estos señores se pongan las pilas; si ya cambiaron su plataforma a 64 bits en Mac por que no hacerlo en Windows???? Ganarian muchisimos adeptos y compra de sus sofware. espero que este final de año saquen una solucion para esto.
DJNitro12 12:49 AM - 12 November, 2019
Glad to see they updated SV for iOS even though most Macs run ME while us Windows users have been SCREAMING for years for an update and 64bit SV
Bboy Jinx 7:17 PM - 21 November, 2019
Been running an hp omen for 1.5 yrs now with the gtx 1060 with no issues. Two things make the difference, coming from an older model... 1. SSD to run the program. 2. Using a high-speed (7200 rpm) powered external hard drive (G-Drive). Settings wise, I keep it at about 1.5g and also run at "best" or "high" quality. Get a SSD and a G-Drive and you will see a world of difference.
Culprit 7:55 PM - 21 November, 2019
the external ssd drives are really solid these days as well. The 7200's are dope but if they take a nasty fall the arms could break
DJNitro12 7:57 PM - 21 November, 2019
I run 3 SSD's in my laptops, 1x256 for OS and software, 1x1TB for mp3 and 1x2TB for videos. Al drives are internal and still have issues.
Zoop 1:59 AM - 22 November, 2019
After my Clevo was stolen I bought a 5 year old Asus with a 4700hq cpu and a Nvidia 940m videocard (2Gb video mem). Works great! With Serato helpdesk.
Culprit 2:38 PM - 22 November, 2019
I was going to relay the same positive message. I had my wife's old Dell Latitude Laptop which was actually an i5 quad processor with a intel 4000hd video card. I installed Windows 10 pro with an SSD and I don't remember the version of SDJ it had but it was right before 64bit Serato video was introduced and it was working really well.
Zoop 10:36 PM - 23 November, 2019
No extra videocard with at least 1 Gb video memory will give problems. I think the video app in Serato is still 32 bit.
Culprit 4:45 AM - 24 November, 2019
Quote:
No extra videocard with at least 1 Gb video memory will give problems. I think the video app in Serato is still 32 bit.

For Mac it's 64bit, not sure about windows yet
Zoop 6:39 AM - 24 November, 2019
Yeah they're lucky, I react because of the title of this discussion 'Serato video on Windows 10' and I hope Serato will finish a 64 bit version for Windows soon.
djsimonse 12:13 AM - 26 November, 2019
6 years ago, I could DJ 720p videos without problem with Serato Pro and the Internal Intel Iris Graphic Cards on my MacBook Pro 13" late 2013. Now I need a 15" MacBook Pro with Dedicated Video Card.

So I'm thinking about buying an extra Windows computer to be able to DJ Videos. What base model do you guys recommend? Does it work with AMD Ryzen 5?
DJ Tecniq 12:29 AM - 26 November, 2019
Quote:
6 years ago, I could DJ 720p videos without problem with Serato Pro and the Internal Intel Iris Graphic Cards on my MacBook Pro 13" late 2013. Now I need a 15" MacBook Pro with Dedicated Video Card.
This is very true except Serato Pro wasn’t around then it was more like SDJ 1.7/1.8. Unfortunately the newer versions use way more cpu now. A friend of mine had a 13 w/o dual graphics and 720p videos were a breeze when we video mixed at gigs. Ever since Video-SL switched to Serato Video and SDJ it’s been very heavy on the cpu. What’s upsetting is that Serato Video has not had an update in like 5 years and they are still charging users for their product that’s just crazy to me...
popnwave 7:50 PM - 29 November, 2019
Quote:
So I'm thinking about buying an extra Windows computer to be able to DJ Videos. What base model do you guys recommend? Does it work with AMD Ryzen 5?

Just use VDJ2020 if you go that route, it will work 99% of the time with less headaches.
djsimonse 9:19 PM - 30 November, 2019
Quote:
Just use VDJ2020 if you go that route, it will work 99% of the time with less headaches.

Thanks! I've downloaded it, and yes it looks really nice. I'm going to give it a go.
DjMacAttack 12:12 AM - 4 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! I've downloaded it, and yes it looks really nice. I'm going to give it a go.

Didn't see it mentioned, but your Serato playlists will show up in VDJ so that will save a lot of time.
Bboy Jinx 8:47 PM - 11 December, 2019
Just ran a ryzen 5 3550 with a gtx1050 and 8gb ram HP... It ran multiple nights (6hrs/per night), all video sets on high settings, absolutely flawlessly!
djsimonse 10:09 PM - 11 December, 2019
Quote:
Just ran a ryzen 5 3550 with a gtx1050 and 8gb ram HP... It ran multiple nights (6hrs/per night), all video sets on high settings, absolutely flawlessly!

Wow, that sounds great! What HP laptop are you using? Or does it matter? #pc-noob
Bboy Jinx 4:35 AM - 18 December, 2019
I go for gaming specs, just for the dedicated gfx card... Everything runs smoother and you can tweak to your own personal specifications. Personally, the HP omen series has not let me down, and the bios updates work well. Now, with that being said... I just tried out a i-5 9300 cpu with the same specs as the ryzen laptop, and the ryzen shits on the i-5... Did the same amount of testing on both so everything in the test were practically the same. Not to mention, if you're on a budget the ryzen series is a bit cheaper...
dhdd 7:05 PM - 28 December, 2019
Bboy Jinx, I'm thinking about getting a laptop w/ ryzen5. And yes I'm one of the DJ's that would like Serato to help us window pc users be able to run their video software. I almost went to VDJ, I'm trying it now via their trial version, but to be honest w/ you I really don't like it. Yes the videos played great but I missed the simplicity of Serato. Has your ryzen been strong or has any problems started?
Culprit 10:22 PM - 29 December, 2019
I think the key is direct x 11 capabilities to getting Serato Video Started. If you check the specifications against the PC Laptop your aquiring and make sure the video card is direct x 11 capable your going to have a better experience out the box.

I CAN semi confirm this with different laptops I have used in the past. The newer more compatible laptops with the AMD video cards that were direct x 11/12 capable I had very minor issues with.

Just some of my experience.
dhdd 10:31 PM - 30 December, 2019
Thanks Culprit, I'll look into it, have a great New Year.
Culprit 10:55 PM - 30 December, 2019
Quote:
Thanks Culprit, I'll look into it, have a great New Year.

You too sir!
Bboy Jinx 1:54 PM - 16 January, 2020
as long as you get a cpu with a dedicated gfx card you will be all good. the majorities of problems with amd is the "vega" graphics. I have had no problems with the start up
DJ.MrA 5:54 PM - 24 January, 2020
I have been using Serato Video on Lenovo Y50-70 without any issues. Installed K Lite Codec Pack instead of quicktime. I get around 60 fps on 1080p videos. I'm going to get Lenovo Y740 now because it's time for an upgrade. I'm sure it will run Serato video fine.
dhdd 1:50 PM - 25 January, 2020
DJ.MrA Are you using Serato DJ Pro 2.3.2 ?
DJ.MrA 8:31 PM - 27 January, 2020
Yes.
MartyCruze 1:11 AM - 29 January, 2020
Hey guys, I'm relatively new around these part (converting from Traktor after buying a Prime 4)

Needless to say challenges arose on the video front.

Culprit reposted a solution on another thread and I thought I'd share my findings:

Hardware:

Using HP 8770w laptop w/16GB RAM (ATI Firepro 4000 1GB)
2 internal SSDs
(this is and i7-3630QM 2.4GHz)
Windows 10 64bit pro
Prime 4 (FW 1.4)

Software discoveries (after sending a support ticket and following instructions to "optimize")

1. Quicktime is still used as a decoder (and it's 32 bit, and no longer supported)
2. Serato Video runs on 32bit (I'm surprised)

The solution that worked for me (still have to test a live 5 hour mix to be sure)

1. Uninstalled the QuickTime version on the system, re-downloaded and installed the last version on Apple's website here : support.apple.com

2. Install LAV filters (all of them in the install package) found here :www.fosshub.com

Result so far:

In output mode "best", running all 1080p videos are flawless (and lower resolutions work of course)

I hope that helps
dj hacker01 1:44 PM - 24 February, 2020
lav filters is best Serato dj video performance on windows. But I reliazed sometimes Lav filters is not working. I researced what is the problem. Finaly i resolved problem myself.

The pproblem is non english charcters on video file names. Suck as you sohuld rename file "yalnız çiçek" => "yalniz cicek" and then Lav filters working great. The best Serato DJ Pro lack is serato dj video is not include solition for video performance. I am both using serato and virtual dj. Virtual dj inculuded video DXVA and video performance accellate on windows. But Serato DJ is good sound quality and more stable for mixing for real dj's

I dont understan why serato company not giving importance for Video performance problems and not solving video performance problems. it's not to hard solving video performances.

ps: my job is senior software developer , also Proffessional DJ ;)
popnwave 4:50 PM - 24 February, 2020
The video plug in is niche and probably isn't a major income stream for them.
Culprit 2:48 AM - 25 February, 2020
Quote:
The video plug in is niche and probably isn't a major income stream for them.

Video DJing period. It's only really big in the Latin market and private events sector
Bboy Jinx 2:48 AM - 7 May, 2020
i still get a ton of club gigs in Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois just because i play video... It's more of a regional/area thing then genre.
MirraMirrabye 4:22 AM - 17 June, 2020
Great post, a lot of stuff in here i did not know about