DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

#prime4all Prime 4 Stand-Alone 4-Deck DJ System from Denon DJ

sl1200 12:31 PM - 17 January, 2019
GusGomez 12:54 PM - 17 January, 2019
That’s fire...Denon is really coming for Puoneer’s head wow
Will08272 3:34 PM - 17 January, 2019
Now the thing I’m wondering is Serato embedded when ?
GusGomez 3:36 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:

It's gonna be serato ready Denon Confirmed it.
Will08272 3:38 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

That i saw, I’m referring to a unit similar to this running Serato DJ instead of say Denons software as this is.
Will08272 3:46 PM - 17 January, 2019
Also interesting inmusics play with making dedicated hardware for all of ones music needs without needing a laptop.

MPC for music creation, the new APC controller for loop based music, and this Denon unit for DJs which I’m sure at some point will be able to talk with one another.

This was a answer to my question of how the laptop will be phased out somewhat, the new question now in my opinion will people buy in.
GusGomez 3:46 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That i saw, I’m referring to a unit similar to this running Serato DJ instead of say Denons software as this is.

Ahhhh see you forgetting Serato is the Apple of the DJ world it takes them 5 years to implement something other companies do in 6 months.
Will08272 4:01 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ahhhh see you forgetting Serato is the Apple of the DJ world it takes them 5 years to implement something other companies do in 6 months.

😂 Thanks for the reminder and the laughs that bought.
Chino 4:05 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:

I almost shed a tear to this comment! LOL. Maybe Serato waits to implement a feature and/or technology until it is an absolute must have?
Chino 4:07 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Ahhhh see you forgetting Serato is the Apple of the DJ world it takes them 5 years to implement something other companies do in 6 months.[quot

^THIS!

GusGomez 4:07 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I almost shed a tear to this comment! LOL. Maybe Serato waits to implement a feature and/or technology until it is an absolute must have?

LOL let's go with that...Lol
Will08272 4:15 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

That way of looking at things is ‘for now’ over, will have to wait until being conservative about things cycles back. Immediacy is the the rule and whoever provides will be who gets the dollars. It is a slow shift but it is the shift that is occurring. Also the fact that so many new types of customers with more and more small specific incremental needs are happening as well.
Will08272 4:18 PM - 17 January, 2019
Speaking of being behind, edit button when. Came to mind after posting that, that is just one of the millions of ways to look at things, either way someones gonna sell and someones gonna buy and that will never end.
DJ dVO 5:24 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Also interesting inmusics play with making dedicated hardware for all of ones music needs without needing a laptop.

MPC for music creation, the new APC controller for loop based music, and this Denon unit for DJs which I’m sure at some point will be able to talk with one another.

This was a answer to my question of how the laptop will be phased out somewhat, the new question now in my opinion will people buy in.

Laptop will soon be a thing of the past. Take my word for it.

True standalone controller/mixer will have own onboard processor and HD.
GusGomez 6:03 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

You can install a SATA 1tb drive in this thing that’s crazy!
Gio Alex 7:27 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO harsh facts
Gio Alex 7:29 PM - 17 January, 2019
Man, we're really getting close to the no laptop days. This is exciting.
GusGomez 7:45 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:

I agree we're almost there...to be honest if the Denondj Sc5000 M's played nice with my Rane 72 i would've been there already i'm sick of carrying a laptop but this thing with a 1tb Sata drive sounds like a very very good move.
577er 8:04 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:

This looks dope but how easy will it be to keep your library sync'ed to your laptop?
Gio Alex 8:55 PM - 17 January, 2019
"Another industry ‘world’s first’ is Prime 4’s independent Zone Output, empowering DJs with the ability to send a full playlist of music to a completely separate room or location, all while the DJ rocks the dancefloor in the main venue. "

Wow
Gio Alex 9:16 PM - 17 January, 2019
Gio Alex 9:16 PM - 17 January, 2019
Overview^^^
blackavenger 7:08 AM - 18 January, 2019
Yeah, this thing checks all the boxes for mobile, wedding and bedroom controller DJs. A fuckin' beast!! I have a full setup of A&H, CDJ, Ableton, MK5s, etc.. and even I am drooling over this thing.
Gio Alex 11:05 AM - 18 January, 2019
They thought of almost everything. Beast for sure! Only 20 lbs too.
Djkom 1:04 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
They thought of almost everything. Beast for sure! Only 20 lbs too.

21.34 lbs 😉

But 28.68" × 19.59" x 4.08" / 728.47 x 496.82 × 103.63 mm

This thing is bulky !
Djkom 1:07 PM - 18 January, 2019
Also wonderinf why Denon hasn't kept sc5000 layout on the prime4.
Bigger jogwheels and linear pads are better IMO
Djkom 1:19 PM - 18 January, 2019
wondering*
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:49 PM - 18 January, 2019
nice promo vid

Watchwww.youtube.com
dj_soo 6:55 PM - 18 January, 2019
on board key shifting was the one thing these standalone units were missing for me. Hopefully, they implement it via firmware for the SC5000s.

Unit is way too big and unruly for me and I'm fine with using my laptop still, but I could see this being installed in smaller bars/lounges and probably wouldn't complain if I saw one of these.

The harddrive bay is pretty cool, but I wonder if you have to unscrew that pannel and use an enclosure everytime you wanted to load it up with tracks, or if there's a way to do it using just the onboard Engine OS.
blackavenger 11:02 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
The harddrive bay is pretty cool, but I wonder if you have to unscrew that pannel and use an enclosure everytime you wanted to load it up with tracks, or if there's a way to do it using just the onboard Engine OS.

Yeah, I was curious about that myself.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:29 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I was curious about that myself.

I have the SC5000 and when you connect the player to the laptop you can actually see the hardrives/USB sticks connected to the 5000. Could be same thing for the Prime 4.

Thats why it's got USB 3 port at the rear...for speedy transfers...I suppose. The SC5000 had the same USB 3 port as well.

I was also able to use regular USB 2 cables with the USB 3 port...
Will08272 6:12 PM - 19 January, 2019
Next up is a dual rane 12 and 72 with a fold up screen similar to this and the laptop will be gone.
GusGomez 6:14 PM - 19 January, 2019
Quote:
Next up is a dual rane 12 and 72 with a fold up screen similar to this and the laptop will be gone.

That would be amazing but with 10” platters instead of 12
blackavenger 8:41 PM - 20 January, 2019
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Agree on the 10" platter...and Serato inside instead of Prime. That would be dope!
dj_soo 9:41 PM - 20 January, 2019
I’d prefer a standalone version of the 72s that are compatible with the Twelves and hopefully the Nines if that ever becomes a thing.
djcrap 6:53 PM - 21 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Agree on the 10" platter...and Serato inside instead of Prime. That would be dope!

With the possibility of an upgradable serato app/ New serato release software updates inside the standa alone unit to be upgraded via firmware
Gio Alex 7:39 PM - 21 January, 2019
Gotta be real interesting to have standalone serato
05spoof 12:36 AM - 22 January, 2019
Quote:
I’d prefer a standalone version of the 72s that are compatible with the Twelves and hopefully the Nines if that ever becomes a thing.

+1 but keep it 12" and drop the unneccessary extra weight.
Ollieboy 5:32 AM - 24 January, 2019
Showcasing the Denon Prime on the Beat Junkie's FB site live stream. www.facebook.com
blackavenger 3:10 PM - 24 January, 2019
Yeah, that wasn't the best "presentation" of the hardware, lolol!!
#trainwreck
Chino 4:52 PM - 24 January, 2019
Quote:
Gotta be real interesting to have standalone serato

Hopefully in the NEAR future!! ; )
Gio Alex 8:44 PM - 25 March, 2019
I just found out that if/when Prime 4 gets Serato support you'll still need to connect a laptop to it. I thought for some reason that would also be standalone.
Chino 2:18 PM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
I just found out that if/when Prime 4 gets Serato support you'll still need to connect a laptop to it. I thought for some reason that would also be standalone.

Yup, it's completely standalone with PRIME software only not SDJ Pro. I will migrate over to a a laptop free setup once Serato embeds their software into a mixer and/or controller.
Gio Alex 2:52 PM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, it's completely standalone with PRIME software only not SDJ Pro. I will migrate over to a a laptop free setup once Serato embeds their software into a mixer and/or controller.

Man, had no idea... not so excited about this now. And I agree with you. Gimme a shout when they embed SDJ in a mixer/controller, when it's really standalone lol
dj_soo 5:57 PM - 28 March, 2019
Denon’s model is that prime handles the standalone and serato handles the laptop integration. Since engine prime reads serato crates and cue/loop data, you should theoretically be able to manage your track in serato, analyze in engine and be good to go.

Unfortunately, Engine utilizes it’s own database for bpm and beatgrid information so even if the bpm is accurate in serato, if engine messes that up, you still have to go into engine and manually correct bad bpms or grids which is a pain because prime’s grid editing is fucking terrible.

I can’t see engine being a software/laptop suite anytime soon considering how much work they still need to do to in terms of basic functionality just as a track management program.
GusGomez 6:03 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:
Denon’s model is that prime handles the standalone and serato handles the laptop integration. Since engine prime reads serato crates and cue/loop data, you should theoretically be able to manage your track in serato, analyze in engine and be good to go.

Unfortunately, Engine utilizes it’s own database for bpm and beatgrid information so even if the bpm is accurate in serato, if engine messes that up, you still have to go into engine and manually correct bad bpms or grids which is a pain because prime’s grid editing is fucking terrible.

I can’t see engine being a software/laptop suite anytime soon considering how much work they still need to do to in terms of basic functionality just as a track management program.

yup, and even at track management when it comes to open format....It's absolutely trash and they don't seem to e in a hurry to fix it....I love denon and like their hardware but at the moment i wish Pioneer would come out with a rotating platter ddj RX to see what teir approach would be.
Chino 6:10 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:
Pioneer would come out with a rotating platter ddj RX to see what their approach would be.

I would also like to see Pioneer's take on a rotating platter media player/controller. A direct competition against the Rane 12- only a smaller, more portable version without bugs.
GusGomez 6:13 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Pioneer would come out with a rotating platter ddj RX to see what their approach would be.

I would also like to see Pioneer's take on a rotating platter media player/controller. A direct competition against the Rane 12- only a smaller, more portable version without bugs.

Actually the Twelve has been pretty bug free for the most part. But yeah a 10' Platter pioneer would be dope with stand alone since Rekordbox is miles and miles and miles ahead of PRIMe
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:13 PM - 28 March, 2019
If you rely on proper BPM and grid for mixing, just stay clear of Engine Prime.

I think it needs a total rewrite.

Ground up.
GusGomez 6:18 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:

Ground up.

agreed definitely the worst i seen in a long time I did a few gigs on it and it's definitely not ready for primetime
Chino 6:20 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:

Ground up.

Damn, Marv. Engine Prime is STILL that bad???!!!

I would of thought that basic functionality would have improved since my time on Engine 1.5??!!
dj_soo 6:21 PM - 28 March, 2019
I hate using rekordbox as well, but at least it’s fully featured and works once you figure out the best workflow.

Still hate it tho.

Everything I’ve read, pioneer has no intention of going spinning platters.
GusGomez 6:23 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:
I hate using rekordbox as well, but at least it’s fully featured and works once you figure out the best workflow.

Still hate it tho.

Everything I’ve read, pioneer has no intention of going spinning platters.

I think Rekordbox as a library management tool to use with thumdrives or a hard drive is great but if it's to dj on it I wouldn't do it.
dj_soo 6:29 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:

Ground up.

Certain features do need the correct info helps a lot even if you still mix entirely by ear - autoloops snap to the grid, if you have an x1800, bpm effects do require the correct bpm to get proper timing.

I just received a review unit of the 5000M to mess around with and I’ve literally been struggling with both rekordbox and engine to get it to work the way I want.

I decided it was time to finally have a proper rekordbox formated USB as a backup (as opposed to just having files in a folder as I’ve done for years), and it’s literally taken weeks to set it up the way I want because the interface is so unintuitive for rekordbox and so limited for engine prime.

I can’t belive they didn’t bother to put in a beatgrid expansion/compression feature in it - literally every other program has that.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:52 PM - 28 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Ground up.

I would of thought that basic functionality would have improved since my time on Engine 1.5??!!

Engine 1.5 is better than the vomittus called Engine Prime.

I think it was designed in a pub on a napkin.

On paper the hardware is all that but one cant enjoy it with the software.

Something as simple as refreshing itunes/serato library takes best of 3 hours (eg when you add 1 single new track and you want engine prime to see that track)

It doesn't read BPM value in tracks idtag but proceeds to do it's own analysis. It then comes up with crazy BPM and beat grids, making library sorting next to useless.
dj_soo 8:03 PM - 28 March, 2019
I would never in a million years use Engine as a main library analysis. At best, I'd use Serato and create Engine specific crates that I import in so I can manage much smaller collections.
d:raf 5:15 AM - 29 March, 2019
Quote:
I would never in a million years use Engine as a main library analysis. At best, I'd use Serato and create Engine specific crates that I import in so I can manage much smaller collections.

This. I'd definitely use it for wedding playlists.

Everything else gets the laptop.
Chino 3:59 PM - 29 March, 2019
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ground up.

Engine 1.5 is better than the vomittus called Engine Prime.

I think it was designed in a pub on a napkin.

On paper the hardware is all that but one cant enjoy it with the software.

Something as simple as refreshing itunes/serato library takes best of 3 hours (eg when you add 1 single new track and you want engine prime to see that track)

It doesn't read BPM value in tracks idtag but proceeds to do it's own analysis. It then comes up with crazy BPM and beat grids, making library sorting next to useless.

Denon NEEDS to fix this BEFORE the release of the Prime 4 controller!!

inMusic Brand is REALLY lucky that one of it's competitors (@Roland, @PioneerDJ, @Reloop, @Technics etc.) hasn't released a similar product... yet!!!
GusGomez 4:09 PM - 29 March, 2019

Denon NEEDS to fix this BEFORE the release of the Prime 4 controller!!

inMusic Brand is REALLY lucky that one of it's competitors (@Roland, @PioneerDJ, @Reloop, @Technics etc.) hasn't released a similar product... yet!!!
I said the same thing They are really lucky that no one specially Pio hasnt come out with a similar or better product.....it also doesnt help that it keeps getting pushed back for some reason...at the end of the day though the Prime 4 could be the greatest piece of hard ware ever but if the software is un-usable to your target audience then it's trash and wont make a dent on the market....say what you will about Pioneer atleast when they release something 9 out of 10 is ready for primetime.
Chino 5:48 PM - 29 March, 2019
Quote:
Say what you will about Pioneer at least when they release something 9 out of 10 is ready for primetime.

^THIS! The only Pioneer DJ product I even own is the Pioneer DJS-1000 sampler. It is VERY well built & has worked GREAT since day 1!! I may now consider buying other products from Pioneer because of my positive experience.
DJ Yaitanis 3:05 PM - 4 June, 2019
I just recieved my Prime 4 the waite is finally over. Didnt have a chance to o blow by blow above but is Prime 4 Serato DJ Pro ready????
GusGomez 3:08 PM - 4 June, 2019
Quote:
I just recieved my Prime 4 the waite is finally over. Didnt have a chance to o blow by blow above but is Prime 4 Serato DJ Pro ready????

No
DJ*Hitman 3:25 PM - 7 June, 2019
WHEN will it be Serato Ready?? Anyone KNOW?
GusGomez 3:29 PM - 7 June, 2019
Quote:
WHEN will it be Serato Ready?? Anyone KNOW?

Man the unit has been pushed back so much that i don't think that's even happening before the end of the year. look how long it's taken to support the M's
DJ Yaitanis 3:34 PM - 7 June, 2019
Prime 4's are hitting the street...I would think serato would have support by now
GusGomez 3:58 PM - 7 June, 2019
Quote:
Prime 4's are hitting the street...I would think serato would have support by now

Prime4 been hitting the streets supposedly since March but just now retailers are getting like 4 units at a time...The M's have been out for a year still no Serato support plus now with the whole streaming capabilities i doubt they'll have support for Serato anytime soon.
Chris81 2:16 PM - 10 June, 2019
Quote:

Agreed. It's the most logical progression, and one I'm looking forward to. My NS7 has proven far more reliable than my custom built Dell laptop, which has caused me no end of headaches.

My question now is ... how will subscription services such as Tidal and this new Beatport service adapt too? Will we soon see a day when digital DJs can browse and download music online without needing a laptop?
DJ dVO 2:40 PM - 10 June, 2019
Quote:

My question now is ... how will subscription services such as Tidal and this new Beatport service adapt too? Will we soon see a day when digital DJs can browse and download music online without needing a laptop?

It's already here. You can stream music on the Prime Series.
Chris81 11:45 PM - 10 June, 2019
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="9">

It's already here. You can stream music on the Prime Series.

Really?? Daaaaamn. That's awesome. Maybe one day the Minister for Finance will let me upgrade ...
djsimonse 7:06 AM - 19 July, 2019
I love this unit. And it would be great with Serato DJ. Please, make it happen for 2.3!🙌
willman 1:24 AM - 20 November, 2019
when I update firmware updater on Mac it keep stay prime 4 not detected what does it means tried everything I know last thing I did was usb update and it works so just wondering what it means this
EGOS 10:51 PM - 16 January, 2020
Will the Prime 4 ever allow for serato to be ran in standalone mode or will it always require a computer? Would be a really dope future as Engine Prime isn't the greatest. Don't mind plugging into my laptop, just wondering if anyone has thought about this, or heard anything!
dj_soo 10:55 PM - 16 January, 2020
Serato doesn’t do standalone.
Chino 10:59 PM - 16 January, 2020
Quote:
Serato doesn’t do standalone.

Yet, BUT a lot can change in a yr or two... ; )
dj_soo 11:01 PM - 16 January, 2020
I think it’s more likely that InMusic buys serato and uses that as their laptop software than serato making a standalone software.

If serato go into the hardware biz, it would be more likely,
Chino 11:03 PM - 16 January, 2020
Quote:
I think it’s more likely that InMusic buys serato and uses that as their laptop software than serato making a standalone software.

BLASPHEMY!! Dem is fighting words!!! LOL ; )
djsimonse 5:23 AM - 17 January, 2020
Quote:

I've heard they have hired top engineers from Serato. I don't know what this will do for Denon hardware, but Engine will get better and Serato integration much better in the near future. I'm crossing my fingers!