Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato - Pioneer and NAMM

Demetre A 8:15 AM - 16 January, 2019
As we all know Pioneer and Serato used to be like Salt and Pepper, joined at the hip.

This relationship seems to be have been withering away ever since Pioneer's Record box has grown up from a project to a worthy competitor.

When you learn from somebody else but is no longer reliant on them, you want to spread your wings and fly out of the coop.

I believe Pioneer wants to do this with their hardware and Recordbox Software.

Serato (i think) reluctantly is slowly beginning to accept this realization because their ex-best friend (Pioneer) wants to slowly part ways without any hurt feelings.

Why else would they unlock their software (after so many years of being proprietary software) and partner up with new inexperienced manufactures like Mixars but also with experienced respected hardware manufactures like Roland who have had no experience whatsoever in the DJ controller world.

Serato (and - may still have...just going for wild predictions here) had great relations with Rane and Pioneer in the beginning .. but things do change, and hey that is the way the world works.

I want to make something very clear. I started using Serato. I started DJing in 2002. This is what i am used to. The layout, the handling of the software, the dependable stability. I probably will not stray (for the time being at least)

I have a problem though. The lack of good hardware that is compatible with Serato DJ. I am by no means a audiophile, BUT i do know good sound when i hear it.

In my opinion, all of Pioneers offerings that are compatibly with Serato sound Terrible.

Im not sure if its the DACS or something done intentionally to make you want the "next best thing" but the darn things have no headroom (poor output) or just sound plain muddy and distorted. Many of you will fiercely disagree, but i have rights on my own opinions :-)

There is one Pioneer piece of hardware that BLOW everything out of the water in my opinion and that is the DDJ-S1. This thing may not be the prettiest girl in school but oh my does she sound amazing. (this was Pioneers first controller BTW, so alot of R&D, time and effort and careful selection of high quality components most likely went into her to make a first good impression) *as do all girls haha!*

It has incredible headroom and it brings out the best of the worst MP3's. The internal components used in this amazing controller are hands down the best that Pioneer has used with exception of the SZ2 which in my opinion does not sound as good.

With proper gain staging through a high quality analog mixer the SZ2 sounds "ok"

With that said, what if i told you guys that the SZ2 was === never suppose to happen??

Have you noticed the difference in features between the SZ and SZ2? Not much eh?

Keys and pitch, Serato Flip. You may be asking where i am going with this. In my humble opinion Pioneer made the fatal mistake of choosing a Wolfson DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)

For those of you who do not know what a DAC does, well it turns your computer files (MP3) to something you can hear out of your speakers.

The SZ-2 was release shortly after with a Cirrus Logic DAC (completely different manufacture) and a few insignificant features to erase the fact that the SZ was a failure (in my opinion sound wise).

The SZ series is undoubtedly a gorgeous controller. The designers clearly did a fabulous and meticulous job designing the "perfect" controller aesthetically .. but it does not offer the punch in your music files like the DDJ-S1 DAC did.

I have a feeling that NAMM 2019 is going to clearly dictate if Pioneer and Serato still have a relationship. Are we going to see a high quality DDJ-1000S released (for Serato) or will everyone go a separate path?

Anyways, i am not trying to prove a point in any kind of a way .. or trying to make fact of something that may not be, just expressing some thoughts and would love to hear yours!

- Cheers! DJ SHaKa!
Rebelguy 4:27 AM - 17 January, 2019
I don’t remember the DDJ-S1 sounding amazing.
Bornd Fono 5:11 AM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
I have a problem though. The lack of good hardware that is compatible with Serato DJ. I am by no means a audiophile, BUT i do know good sound when i hear it.

I would sign this. I am too a heavy user and big fan of Serato for over 10 years now... but things like the lack of support of the Xone 96, the still un-fixed Echo Out problem (is it 5 years already?!?) makes me really think about if Serato is the way to go for the future... :/
DJ Tecniq 7:23 AM - 17 January, 2019
I’m sure we’ll all be surprised by what Pioneer drops at NAMM. They dropped the S9 with little buzz and it became the flagship 2 ch mixer in the DJ market. Don’t think so...well Craze still loves it🤷🏼‍♂️
Demetre A 10:13 AM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
I don’t remember the DDJ-S1 sounding amazing.

True story, pick one up and rock your favorite track.
Demetre A 10:21 AM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
I’m sure we’ll all be surprised by what Pioneer drops at NAMM. They dropped the S9 with little buzz and it became the flagship 2 ch mixer in the DJ market. Don’t think so...well Craze still loves it🤷🏼‍♂️

I admire your optimism but i do not expect nothing except a extra-priced new "recordbox" "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" (angels singing) controller with "all" the new bells and whistles, which you cannot live without.

I think Pioneer and Serato area dead. The only reason they would forcefully and PAINFULLY shake hands with each other is for profit. We started together, we have been together (at least our people expect us to be together) so let us pretend that we actually like eachother and introduce yet another sub-par controller to pretend that we are happily married. ***please prove me wrong*** - DJ SHaKa!
Mr Wilks 12:49 PM - 17 January, 2019
Well the new Denon unit doesn't have a Serato logo on it (unless it will get support like the Prime gear did).

That looks a beast!
Clubber1970 1:06 PM - 17 January, 2019
No it will not work with Serato. It's intended to use it as a standalone solution.
Mr Wilks 1:20 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
No it will not work with Serato. It's intended to use it as a standalone solution.

True, but it will be possible get the Serato Official Accessory status that the SC5000 units got if they entered an agreement. They didn't sport the Serato logo as they was also designed to be run separately.

Interesting the chat about Pioneer and how they went alone and since they distanced themselves, Serato have been finding new BFF's with Denon (amongst others). Now their new shiny fails to sport an affiliation with Serato, I feel the market is maturing enough for companies to move all in-house. This could be a cautious time for software-only companies.

It could get added but even if not there is the option of converting Serato playlists like the MCX8000 did.
popnwave 4:34 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
I think Pioneer and Serato area dead. The only reason they would forcefully and PAINFULLY shake hands with each other is for profit. We started together, we have been together (at least our people expect us to be together) so let us pretend that we actually like eachother and introduce yet another sub-par controller to pretend that we are happily married. ***please prove me wrong*** - DJ SHaKa!

People have been saying this for 5+ years now. I guess if you claim it long enough it might happen, but Rekordbox is not setting the world on fire, just read their forums and the laundry list of stuff that is half baked. They made a big deal adding that DMX support + adapter and that hasn't had a single update in a year now?

As a matter of fact, all of the stuff introduced in the past year for RB has either dropped off (cloud library? gone for now) or stagnated. Maybe we still a big jump at NAMM, but otherwise the devs in Japan have been less than impressive.
DJ Tecniq 5:00 PM - 17 January, 2019
Not sure if Pioneer still has a relationship with Serato or not and I’ve heard the same thing over & over about them moving away from Serato...however the SX3 dropped not long ago and it is supported for Serato. Pioneer knowingly knows that Serato is the better software but they are pushing their best controllers within their RB software. Guess we’ll see what they have to offer at NAMM.
Mr Wilks 6:22 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:

Just saw it's Serato compatible.

youtu.be
Clubber1970 6:53 PM - 17 January, 2019
Yes, you are right. Just saw this video and they mentioned at the end that the usb port can be used for Serato.
My fault...
DJ JulioYEG 7:17 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Well the new Denon unit doesn't have a Serato logo on it (unless it will get support like the Prime gear did).

support is rumored for the next big update along with the 5000m
DJ JulioYEG 7:18 PM - 17 January, 2019
pio will never die too many clubs have the " club standard " setup and they're not going to be switching for a while
DJ Tecniq 7:30 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Just saw it's Serato compatible.

youtu.be
It’s cool would like to see these features in a 2 ch though...meh😕 #4chisoverated
Mr Wilks 8:09 PM - 17 January, 2019
I'm twio channel guy. I thi k having the extra will entice me to be a little creative with loops and acapellas a little more.