DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Nine hour gig

fizzerman 3:51 AM - 14 January, 2019
I been asked to do a nine hour gig in Houston, TX. It’s for a company event just DJing no lights or fog. I’m wondering how much to charge them? I live in the Austin area.
Culprit 4:47 AM - 14 January, 2019
do you need to bring equipment?
fizzerman 1:42 PM - 14 January, 2019
Yes sorry forgot to mention that. They have nothing to use.
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 2:21 PM - 14 January, 2019
Ultimately depends on what equipment you need to bring but I would charge around $2000.
Gio Alex 6:11 PM - 14 January, 2019
Does the 9 hours include setup and/or breakdown? Or is the 9 hours just djing/music excluding all that.
fizzerman 6:34 PM - 14 January, 2019
Just nine hours of djing/music. Doesn’t include setup or breakdown.
Gio Alex 6:36 PM - 14 January, 2019
Yikes. So you could potentially be looking at an 11 hour day here considering you'll need to bring equipment. What's the size of this event, capacity wise? Are people gonna have to be mic'ed up, are there speakers? All of this will factor in a price/quote.

I have to ask, have you done this before?
deezlee 6:38 PM - 14 January, 2019
if it's a private event type event (requests for specific music, different music for dinner, cocktails, dancing, stressful mic work, remembering stuff etc) charge a lot more then if it's "just play some (mostly background) music and make a good vibe, maybe rock the dance party if one starts".
deezlee 6:44 PM - 14 January, 2019
I charge $1500-$2000 for a small/medium size private event (wedding, b-day etc) but I charge like $600 for an all day BBQ for a local business (my last two afternoon gigs were for cannabis companies (northern CA).
Chino 6:51 PM - 14 January, 2019
Quote:
but I charge like $600 for an all day BBQ for a local business (my last two afternoon gigs were for cannabis companies (northern CA).

I'm sure you were paid in other ways, lol. ; )
Gio Alex 6:51 PM - 14 January, 2019
Yeah, I was gonna say the 150 an hour range which would land him in the $1650 range for 11 hour quote, but that's for corporate company budget gigs. I also dunno how much stuff he needs to bring and what's required here.
fizzerman 6:52 PM - 14 January, 2019
I will be bringing all the equipment. Nobody will be mic’d up. I’m pretty much playing background music. It’s about 200 people. No haven’t done a business event before. I have done weddings and bars.
Gio Alex 7:08 PM - 14 January, 2019
That's a substantial amount of people. Just make sure you have the gear to cover that amount of people and space and work from there on the price. I'd say if you already have the gear adequate for that then build from there.
Culprit 8:46 PM - 14 January, 2019
I think you guys are right on the money. At least $120/$150 hours and with equipment thats a good deal. If they want to pay less than that it's not really worth your time.
Culprit 8:46 PM - 14 January, 2019
*per hour
HK1200 8:55 PM - 14 January, 2019
That's like a 3 hour drive each way, according to Google Maps. Hope you've got enough tops and a vehicle big enough to carry them and the rest of your gear. Don't forget to factor in your travel time and fuel costs, and maybe another driver or lodging for the night. That 3 hour drive home could be a literal killer.
Culprit 9:01 PM - 14 January, 2019
Quote:
That's like a 3 hour drive each way, according to Google Maps. Hope you've got enough tops and a vehicle big enough to carry them and the rest of your gear. Don't forget to factor in your travel time and fuel costs, and maybe another driver or lodging for the night. That 3 hour drive home could be a literal killer.

jesus!
Gio Alex 9:43 PM - 14 January, 2019
Quote:
That's like a 3 hour drive each way, according to Google Maps.

Yikes! Without setup/breakdown that's a 15 hour day for you. 17 with setup and breakdown. Better bill the hell out of them and/or have another person with you. A team lol
Mr. Goodkat 11:11 PM - 14 January, 2019
yeah, i was gonna throw that in. you should include hotel money in your offer, either before or after, nobody needs to do that all in one day.

minimum 2k prob 2500. When it comes to long gigs, I always tell them a number about 20-40% more than i offer and say, thats what im normally charging but for you, im taking off the setup and teardown fee. gotta build value and give them a discount at the same time