Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato 2.1 Audio Distortion and USB dropout warnings when using the Sampler

nevins303 10:16 PM - 8 January, 2019
HI Recently upgraded to Serato 2.1 and updated firmware on my Rane 72 to match
when triggering samples from the sample player the audio distorts and usb dropout lights occur, this stops when the sample is stopped , i can replicate the problem.

I'm using a 2015 MPB with 16GB Ram
i can replicate this issue with external drive and using tracks directly on the hard drive

I also own a pioneer S9 but are yet to test this issue on this mixer

has anyone else experienced similar issues? I'm hoping i don't need to roll back as need the newer version for the additional rane 72 functionality
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:30 PM - 8 January, 2019
8.5/10 for your profile pic,

have you tried using a previous version like 2.0,

2.1 is buggy as hell, as i just discovered as it fucked up my files yet again
nevins303 10:45 PM - 8 January, 2019
thanks sparky ;) back at ya griswald !!!

yeah i normally rename so program so i can use the previously version if i get issues
kinda of committed to use 72 extra features now, I've been victim of the file F@@king too as this was happening in previous version
Dunhill421 2:00 PM - 22 February, 2019
Hey guys Im having two issues with my 72/SDJ Pro setup.\

1st issue is whenever I use the 72 to scroll through the different effects in serato my audio clicks and the yellow then red light shows up next to cpu meter. Im assuming this is a USB drop out

2nd Issue and this is big, after playing for an undetermined amount of time my waveform skips and then the audio is off beat. In order to get the audio in sync again il have to keep one song slightly behind the other (lines not matched up)

Ive tried everything I can think and have had this issue on two different Macs

I have a 2015 MacBook pro i7 256SSD 16GBram
and a 2012 Mac Mini i7 1TBhdd 10GBram

Im thinking its something with the 72
DJ Tecniq 6:41 PM - 22 February, 2019
Do you have hi-res on in settings? Try turning that off.
Dunhill421 7:10 PM - 22 February, 2019
Nope hi-res is off.
im really starting to think its a Rane 72 problem. Is anyone on this forum using a 72 with similar MacBook specs?
DJ Tecniq 7:14 PM - 22 February, 2019
Quote:
Nope hi-res is off.
im really starting to think its a Rane 72 problem. Is anyone on this forum using a 72 with similar MacBook specs?
are you on Mojave OS? If you updated the OS i would recommend a clean install if you haven’t done so already.
Dunhill421 8:46 PM - 22 February, 2019
that's a good idea, I might try that after work.. However I did a clean install on my Mac mini and that still gets a usb drop out when scrolling through effects on mixer to fast. I haven't noticed the latency issue on the Mac mini yet I will use it tonight and see how it does
Dunhill421 8:46 PM - 22 February, 2019
I am on Mojave
Dunhill421 2:34 PM - 25 February, 2019
Quote:
thanks sparky ;) back at ya griswald !!!

yeah i normally rename so program so i can use the previously version if i get issues
kinda of committed to use 72 extra features now, I've been victim of the file F@@king too as this was happening in previous version

whats happening to your files?
YZ 10:25 PM - 26 February, 2019
Nah, his Macbook is just prob bogged down. Are you only running Serato or you have other crap in the background going? Recording your set too?

If you want this fixed the right way, Wipe your shit and reinstall the latest OS, install the latest Serato and you'll be fine. I clean install my OS at least twice /year and it fixes 100% of lag or any issues I have experienced every time.
Dunhill421 12:19 AM - 27 February, 2019
working with Serato right now sent them two logs from today and a system report, will report back.

YZ I did a full system restore with clean version of Mojave on my desktop and it happens there with nothing else installed but Serato
DJ Tecniq 2:44 AM - 27 February, 2019
Quote:
working with Serato right now sent them two logs from today and a system report, will report back.

YZ I did a full system restore with clean version of Mojave on my desktop and it happens there with nothing else installed but Serato
Have you tried a different OS other than Mojave? Either that or dj ghost at your house does not want you to succeed in life👻
Dunhill421 3:29 AM - 27 February, 2019
LOL thanx. All is good. It happens on both computers I have and even happens without my controller connected so its def not a usb issue.

Im sure I'm not the only one experiencing it and honestly as long as it doesn't affect the audio I don't care.

Will update everyone when serato narrows it down.

No I haven't because im not going to downgrade especially when there are posts saying it happens with all OS windows included.
DJ Tecniq 3:44 AM - 27 February, 2019
Quote:
LOL thanx. All is good. It happens on both computers I have and even happens without my controller connected so its def not a usb issue.

Im sure I'm not the only one experiencing it and honestly as long as it doesn't affect the audio I don't care.

Will update everyone when serato narrows it down.

No I haven't because im not going to downgrade especially when there are posts saying it happens with all OS windows included.
Surprisingly I’ve never had this occur ever on my setup and I’m on Sierra. Which confirms it’s not the software 🤔
Dunhill421 4:25 AM - 27 February, 2019
So your telling me your waveforms are always silky smooth and never miss a beat? never a twitch or a jitter?
Dunhill421 4:29 AM - 27 February, 2019
/Users/j-macbook/Desktop/Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.28.39 PM.png
Dunhill421 4:31 AM - 27 February, 2019
serato.com

you admitted to it happening to you and even said you never get rid of it.
and now your here saying its never happened to you.

you must be a winner
Dunhill421 4:36 AM - 27 February, 2019
Okay I’m going to apologize for that because I have commented on multiple threads and one of them is about the jittery /skipping wave forms.
I thought this was that one.
So my bad.

That’s why I said I don’t care because as long as it doesn’t affect the audio.
DJ Tecniq 5:17 AM - 27 February, 2019
Quote:
Okay I’m going to apologize for that because I have commented on multiple threads and one of them is about the jittery /skipping wave forms.
I thought this was that one.
So my bad.

That’s why I said I don’t care because as long as it doesn’t affect the audio.
It’s all good i was just confirming the waveform jitter has existed since before SDJ Pro. As for your original post about sampler distortion i have never had that occur since I’ve used Serato.
Dunhill421 12:04 PM - 27 February, 2019
Yeah it was only on the rane 72.
Now I have a ddjsz2 and everything is good as for the usb drop outs.
I believe the screen on that mixer was hogging up too much midi
Terrence Stokes 12:10 PM - 27 February, 2019
Try reinstalling your 72 latest firmware.
DJ Tecniq 5:05 PM - 27 February, 2019
Quote:
Yeah it was only on the rane 72.
Now I have a ddjsz2 and everything is good as for the usb drop outs.
I believe the screen on that mixer was hogging up too much midi
A shame that is happening on such an expensive mixer there’s just no excuse for that. I would reinstall firmware or maybe it’s a bug with the latest release.
Terrence Stokes 6:39 PM - 27 February, 2019
Some have issues and a lot don't. There are a lot of diffrent ecosystems with these computers that cause some software to glitch. I personally had any issues on the latest 2.1, but i have a 2014 mbp with 16 gig of ram running on mojave with a 72. I do have fan issues when i run SDJ Pro and Mixemergency together, but still runing flawless just getting a little hot. Have you tried the new beta yet? So far it been smooth especially with waves.
Dunhill421 7:30 PM - 27 February, 2019
I will try it after I hear back from Serato.
I sent them some logs and reports
Don’t want to just start changing things
While working with them
YZ 10:09 PM - 27 February, 2019
I have the 14 mbp retina 16gb too. Latest osx, latest serato, rane 72, no issues what-so-ever. Try installing a few versions of serato dj behind the current version too.
DJ Tecniq 5:31 AM - 28 February, 2019
Quote:
but i have a 2014 mbp with 16 gig of ram running on mojave with a 72. I do have fan issues when i run SDJ Pro and Mixemergency together, but still runing flawless just getting a little hot.
I a mid 2014 mbp w/fresh install of Sierra...meaning i didn’t update from a previous OS i wiped my Mac clean and did a clean install of the OS absolutely no issues. If you updated from a previous OS to a new one that is likely why you’re having fan issues/cpu. I can’t stress enough about how a fresh install is the best solution. It’s like wiping your computer clean and starting all over again you’ll have to back up your data though.
DJ Tecniq 5:31 AM - 28 February, 2019
I’m on*
DJ Tecniq 5:38 AM - 28 February, 2019
There’s so much info on YouTube why updating your OS is not a good idea...1. Your apps that used to work in Yosemite/Sierra will no longer work on Mojave or won’t be supported anymore. Not only that certain system registries or configuration can affect thr new operating system. Some however can update OS with no issues but the odds of you having Serato or performance issues are higher cause you’re just installing on top of a previous OS...it makes perfect sense why it won’t be stable. As a working DJ I recommend and used to do a clean install instead of an OS update.
DJ Tecniq 5:40 AM - 28 February, 2019
Any user*
nevins303 3:11 PM - 5 March, 2019
Hi All
sorry late to the party
just confirmed i get the issues on my s9 too
usb drop out only seem to trigger and distort audio when i trigger from sampler pad
i like to drop the playing track on the sample slot to instant double
the tracks im using are not corrupted, i recently moved my library over to a fresh SSD
im using mac high sierra, the track is fine until its instant double to the sampler or triggered
running latest version of SDJ
nevins303 3:17 PM - 5 March, 2019
also forgot to mention my drive is using thunderbolt connection
i need to test with some local files but sure i will get same symptoms
Dunhill421 3:19 PM - 5 March, 2019
Sorry your having issues with both mixers, but i guess this confirms theres something with the software.

I havent had any issues with my sz2 other than the random wave form lag.

hopefully its something on the software side that is causing the usb drop out
nevins303 3:55 PM - 5 March, 2019
thanks, the only other thing i can confirm is my macbook os was updated from yosemite - high sierra fairly recently the issue happening and wasn't a clean install, i had been using on the older version of serato dj with no issues on high sierra for several months on the new os , only seems to be bugging out with the latest version of serato dj
i usually keep the previous version installed as a backup however, needed this version to be compatible with the rane 72 , 1.3 firmware
i don't appear to have issues with other apps as primarily use for just serato and ableton.
i also have a ddj sx to test on
nevins303 4:41 PM - 5 March, 2019
its intermittent too , but mainly starts happen when i instant double a track to the sampler after a few secs of playback ,
Dunhill421 4:43 PM - 5 March, 2019
Can you try to change the effects in Serato thru the rane 72 using the scroll knob.
Try it slow then try to scroll fast through the effects and see if the usb drops out.

I’m curious
nevins303 5:38 PM - 5 March, 2019
ok i dont think it mixer specific at all
what was interesting in some case of audio drops correlate with a writing tags dialog during sampler playback despite not changing cue points ect , when i retried these tracks again later touch wood they appeared to be ok, does anyone know if anything would trigger rewriting of the mp3 tags when instant doubling to the sampler ?? this seemed to be the root cause of the behavior, several of my choons where migrated from a legacy library with all the previous serato metadata intact, i also had some new files that had not been used with my previous serato database and these dont seem to have the issue
nevins303 5:38 PM - 5 March, 2019
Quote:
Can you try to change the effects in Serato thru the rane 72 using the scroll knob.
Try it slow then try to scroll fast through the effects and see if the usb drops out.

I’m curious

i need to try that one
DJ Tecniq 6:55 PM - 5 March, 2019
FYI. You can have two versions of SDJ. Keep the previous version for S9 and the latest for your 72. Just rename the file and the latest version won’t overwrite the previous one. This is a good way to narrow down if it’s the latest release causing issues. Latest release was basically updated for new hardware.
DJ Tecniq 6:57 PM - 5 March, 2019
Updates*. There’s been many users on the forum that have reported issues with the latest release. It’s really buggy. Good luck