DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics MK7's........when and how much?

HapMatik 2:28 PM - 8 January, 2019
I'm saying late April or early May.....price point $799ea...……..Who's getting them?
HapMatik 4:31 PM - 8 January, 2019
Ves 4:49 PM - 8 January, 2019
At that price point Technics made another bad decision, especially with Reloop busting out the RP-8000 MK2.
HK1200 5:11 PM - 8 January, 2019
Over $1500 Canadian, each. Glad they're back, but good lord man.

I still want a pair though.

...but for now ima keep rocking the black 1200's I bought new in the 90's, since they're barely broken in.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:38 PM - 8 January, 2019
price is confirmed at £899, but you yanks will get it cheaper due to tax and shit
lvmez 2:53 AM - 9 January, 2019
899 pounds = $1147 US

Street $1050?
HK1200 2:58 AM - 9 January, 2019
The best thing about this is that the bottom just fell out of the used 1200 market. For anyone wanting to pick up a pair of Techs but can't or won't buy new, this is excellent news for you. The days of used mk2's selling for a grand a pop are probably over, for now.
05spoof 3:16 PM - 9 January, 2019
^
Definitely...only downside is now I can't sell my old Tech's to fund for these new ones. lol!
The Real Dj Danger 3:15 AM - 10 January, 2019
They can keep them at that price. My old MK2's work just fine. 1000 bucks a piece is just laughable at best. There are a ton of TT's on the market right now, at much more reasonable prices. I think they over estimate the number of people are going to pay that much just because they have a Technics sticker on them. Thats just my opinion of course.
djvtyme85 1:53 AM - 15 January, 2019
Price is spot on to me. 2k for a pair of turntables that’ll last me 20+ years I’m game. Once they hit I’ll be buying because they addressed all my compliants about my MK5s.
HighTopFade 6:35 PM - 15 January, 2019
Quote:
Price is spot on to me. 2k for a pair of turntables that’ll last me 20+ years I’m game

Totally agree. Especially if it's made in Japan.
kip 9:31 PM - 15 January, 2019
Quote:
Especially if it's made in Japan.

It's made in Malaysia.
Chino 9:57 PM - 15 January, 2019
Quote:
It's made in Malaysia.

I'm still kinda salty about that! Now I need to decide if I'm going to sell my MKIIs to upgrade to a mint used pair of MK5s OR just go ahead and buy the new MK7s. Decisions, decisions...
djvtyme85 5:58 AM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
It's made in Malaysia.

I'm still kinda salty about that! Now I need to decide if I'm going to sell my MKIIs to upgrade to a mint used pair of MK5s OR just go ahead and buy the new MK7s. Decisions, decisions...

i have mk5s and mk2s. my problem with my mk5s is the pitch is off (had them calibrated) and they still dont hold a mix as long as my mk2s. may be isolated but its just weird, i use the mk5s more so it might just be abuse from the road. i learned to live with it. so, the mk7s having digital pitch may be my answer, not sure but im going to sell my mk5s to offset the cost a bit and see how they are...they are 1200s i’ll love them either way lol
HighTopFade 5:40 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
my problem with my mk5s is the pitch is of (had them calibrated) and they still dont hold a mix as long as my mk2s. may be isolated but its just weird, i use the mk5s more so it might just be abuse from the road.

I'm curious to know what the issue is. It may be the beginning to a bigger problem. I had an MK5 that would speed up and down randomly when the pitch isn't locked on 0. On 0, it works perfectly fine. I heard the problem is with the PCB, not the pitch fader. Not sure if this is true, but I heard it happens with MK5s much more often than other models. Didn't bother spending the money to fix it. It was destined to play vinyl only locked on 0. Apologies for going off topic.
kip 9:04 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
I heard the problem is with the PCB, not the pitch fader.
Heard it too. Cold solder joint, easily fixable with soldering iron.
AKIEM 9:53 PM - 16 January, 2019
MKII FTW
HighTopFade 7:42 AM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
I heard the problem is with the PCB, not the pitch fader.
Heard it too. Cold solder joint, easily fixable with soldering iron.

Maybe a PCB from an older MK2/M3D is another effective fix. I'm guessing the the MK2s produced during the same time as the MK5 have the same (possibly defective) PCB.
kip 8:05 AM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Maybe a PCB from an older MK2/M3D is another effective fix.

Overkill.
HK1200 3:32 PM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
MKII FTW

Truth, and I'll never sell mine. Though if a mint pair of M3D's happen to come along on the cheap, there's always room for more. I liked the no click pitch control and updated power knob.

Wouldn't kick the mk7's out of bed though. Gonna wait to see how they turn out, then we'll see.
DJ GaFFle 1:47 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
It's made in Malaysia.

If you can't afford to keep the Japanese made ones and get the new ones, I'd say skip the MK7's. The move to Malaysia is Technics way of saying they wanted to cut co$ts. If they cut them by fork-lifting production to Malaysia, maybe they cut other costs by cheapening up the internals as well. This guy: Watchwww.youtube.com pointed out all the deal-killing flaws in the Pioneer TT design. Don't judge a TT by its cover, bells and whistles. Time and future reviews will tell...
DJ GaFFle 1:49 PM - 18 January, 2019
^^^ Maybe not SKIP but hold off on the MK7's until some solid reviews come back. ^^^
Chino 5:15 PM - 18 January, 2019
Quote:
^^^ Maybe not SKIP but hold off on the MK7's until some solid reviews come back. ^^^

Your right. I'll probably wait it out 6 months or so. By then there should be plenty of reviews to check out first.
got2b Ru 4:53 PM - 26 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
my problem with my mk5s is the pitch is of (had them calibrated) and they still dont hold a mix as long as my mk2s. may be isolated but its just weird, i use the mk5s more so it might just be abuse from the road.

I'm curious to know what the issue is. It may be the beginning to a bigger problem. I had an MK5 that would speed up and down randomly when the pitch isn't locked on 0. On 0, it works perfectly fine. I heard the problem is with the PCB, not the pitch fader. Not sure if this is true, but I heard it happens with MK5s much more often than other models. Didn't bother spending the money to fix it. It was destined to play vinyl only locked on 0. Apologies for going off topic.

I had this problem too and posted in a different thread a couple years ago. As it turns out it was NOT the speed control IC that was the cause of the problem. It is actually D301- a 5.1v zener diode that literally cost $.80 to fix. If you can solder(as well as DE-solder) it's an easy and CHEEEEAAAAPPP fix...

I found the solution here: Watchwww.youtube.com

credit to lsdave for the solution
DJ Irv 12:03 AM - 27 January, 2019
Made Malaysia
Lighter due to reduction in sound dampening
Plastic bottom like the PLX
Pop-Up light that pops up abruptly instead of slowly
Poor paint quality
No ultra-pitch

The MK7 is off to a very bad start.
kip 5:31 AM - 27 January, 2019
Quote:
Made Malaysia

No biggie if quality made.

Quote:

Change of materials with same results as before? Even the GR is lighter than mk2.

Quote:

Probably not the same material, but better.

Quote:

Slow it with your finger! It's on it anyway, no button like on mk2, the light is the button.

Quote:
Poor paint quality

Audio Technica and Reloop is poor paint, this is much better.

Quote:
No ultra-pitch

Doesn't matter.
HighTopFade 7:38 AM - 27 January, 2019
Quote:
Made Malaysia
Poor paint quality
No ultra-pitch

The MK7 is off to a very bad start.

I can see how this can bother a Technics stickler. But at 1k, it seems fair if build quality is the same or better than the Denon Prime. Can't expect 1200GR quality at a DJ turntable price. Ah hell, I think the 1200GR has a fair asking price.
DJ Irv 3:53 PM - 27 January, 2019
DJ Irv 4:04 PM - 27 January, 2019
DJWorx is not feeling them either: djworx.com

The folks at DJWorx have always been spot on when it comes to equipment.

I respect your opinion if you think the MK7 is worthy replacement to the MK2 - MK6, but I don't agree.
HighTopFade 4:08 PM - 27 January, 2019
Wow. Maybe not on par with the Denon Prime.
05spoof 9:56 PM - 27 January, 2019
Down the line those MK7's will sell for twice that once it's out of production.
MPC O.G. 11:15 PM - 27 January, 2019
I say as I always say. The same people that complain about these TT's, PRAISE Hanpins with Pioneer or Reloop on them. And we KNOW the Pioneers are PURE SHIT. The Reloops seem to have better QC. If these come in at the 1K range, I don't see a problem. I have some MK II's that are AT LEAST 25 years old, never been serviced, and work like new. You get what you pay for.
Chino 4:38 PM - 28 January, 2019
Quote:
I say as I always say. The same people that complain about these TT's, PRAISE Hanpins with Pioneer or Reloop on them. And we KNOW the Pioneers are PURE SHIT. The Reloops seem to have better QC. If these come in at the 1K range, I don't see a problem. I have some MK II's that are AT LEAST 25 years old, never been serviced, and work like new. You get what you pay for.

+1!!
HighTopFade 8:09 PM - 28 January, 2019
I don't believe anyone is complaining. I think some are just disappointed and had higher expectations with the Technics name behind it. Myself included.
DJ Irv 10:08 PM - 28 January, 2019
If you compare the MK7 and it's current price to the 2009 MK5G and it's price corrected for inflation does the MK7 stack up?
lvmez 11:27 PM - 28 January, 2019
www.guitarcenter.com

$999 Pre-order at Guitar Center. That is a good price. For those without M5G's or very old 1200 models, this is something to think about.
djvtyme85 12:34 AM - 29 January, 2019
i flip flop back and forth bc the reloops by far a better option and the features are very interesting. but, i have no need for them and at the end of the day my technics serve me just fine. in my case i need a new pair for the road and im going back and forth. in the end the technics will probably be my purchase and i cant say its a bad investiment. hopefully i can work my magic and get a pair under 2k but who knows.
DJ Jonasty 5:29 AM - 29 January, 2019
Do I need a pair, no. Do I want a pair, Yes.

Will I get a pair? Yeah probably
lvmez 10:08 PM - 30 January, 2019
I have not seen the price 1200's drop as much as I thought. There are more for sale than usual. The MK7's will sell insanely fast.
Gio Alex 8:23 PM - 1 February, 2019

interesting that there's no pics of its derriere lol
dj_soo 8:32 PM - 1 February, 2019
Maybe the $1300 price tag was MSRP I guess.

That’s a huge blow to denon imo. Unless there’s something terribly wrong with the MK7s, who’s going to want to get the VL12s when technics are just $100 more?
YZ 8:34 PM - 1 February, 2019
Quote:
At that price point Technics made another bad decision, especially with Reloop busting out the RP-8000 MK2.

And you're smarter than a bunch of business managers working together at multi million dollar business, all with MBA's? Premium product goes for preemo price, stick to Gemini son.
Gio Alex 8:35 PM - 1 February, 2019
They probably had to drop the price.

Here's a serious question (and I'm asking because I honestly don't know) are new djs really buying turntables like that though?
YZ 8:37 PM - 1 February, 2019
A lot of you guys sound like dumbass's btw. This isn't even a shock or a news flash, Technics is NOT competing with all these other subpar units aimed at the DJ market. They build future proof gear for music lovers and do t mass produce. They dont even spend marketing money, the brand sells itself. Im not taking sides, buy what you want but quit coming on here with your associates degree in math talking about this is bad for them, you sound dumb.
Chino 11:43 PM - 1 February, 2019
Quote:
Wow. Maybe not on par with the Denon Prime.

Denon DJ's MCx8000's hardware is literally made with thin sheets of metal screwed on to a cheap plastic chassis. I know this because (back when I owned the MCx8000), I took it apart to see if the CUE button brightness was user fixable/replaceable. The VL 12s & Prime series also have VERY similar build quality to the MCx8000.

Technics MK7s have an aluminium die-cast chassis. Whether you like the new styling is totally subjective(personal preference) but build quality is not. The build quality of the Prime series is NOT even remotely comparable to a new MK7 let alone a Technics MK2/3/5.
Jvine 3:27 PM - 3 February, 2019
Quote:
A lot of you guys sound like dumbass's btw. This isn't even a shock or a news flash, Technics is NOT competing with all these other subpar units aimed at the DJ market. They build future proof gear for music lovers and do t mass produce. They dont even spend marketing money, the brand sells itself. Im not taking sides, buy what you want but quit coming on here with your associates degree in math talking about this is bad for them, you sound dumb.

I don't think that's where the bulk of the complaints are coming from. People are complaining about the price when you compare the price(and even consider inflation) and the build quality of the mk5 and m5g to the mk7. The mk7 is a $750-$800 turntable.

Quote:
I don't believe anyone is complaining. I think some are just disappointed and had higher expectations with the Technics name behind it. Myself included.

This. I was considering selling my 4 mkII if I felt the mk7 was worth it. I'll be keeping my mkIIs.
DJ Irv 3:41 PM - 3 February, 2019
How about one of ya'll that swear by the MK7 just buy one and do a review with a full tear down, feedback resistance test against the PLX-1000 and MK5-MK6.? You'll get s stupid amount of hits to your Youtube page or website so it's just promotion for yourself.
DJ Jonasty 3:23 AM - 4 February, 2019
Lol about the associates degree
HighTopFade 7:49 AM - 4 February, 2019
Quote:
How about one of ya'll that swear by the MK7 just buy one and do a review with a full tear down, feedback resistance test against the PLX-1000 and MK5-MK6.? You'll get s stupid amount of hits to your Youtube page or website so it's just promotion for yourself.

Great suggestion. It allows you to put your money where your mouth is, get your money back, and then some. Youtube is a great platform.
Chino 5:00 PM - 4 February, 2019
I haven't decided whether Im buying a set of MK5s or going with the new MK7s. If I do decide on the MK7s, I will most certainly do a review on them. I can directly compare them to the MKIIs since I already own a set.

All of my reviews are based on products that I personal buy, use & own. No product is ever "loaned", gifted or sent to me for a review so I ALWAYS put my money where my mouth is!! ; )
Chino 5:13 PM - 4 February, 2019
*personally... Maybe we will see a forum edit button, day mode & SDJ Pro embedded technology by 2020?? LOL
Gio Alex 5:42 PM - 4 February, 2019
Quote:
*personally... Maybe we will see a forum edit button, day mode & SDJ Pro embedded technology by 2020?? LOL

LOL
This may be the truth. I have a feeling day mode may happen before the simple edit button lmao
DJ Eighty 8 7:42 PM - 4 February, 2019
This may help: Watchwww.youtube.com
djaction 4:13 PM - 7 February, 2019
price on GuitarCenter is wrong.. and they will be for sale in June.