DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SSL & Mojave?

al83 5:52 PM - 5 January, 2019
Hey guys,
Anyone know if ScratchLive 2.5 (SL2, SL3 & SL4) works with Mojave? I know there were issues with Sierra when SSL wasn't recognising the hardware, some kind of driver issue I believe..

Can't test it myself as sold the box but just curious as would like to use SSL again with an SL3 but not able to downgrade the OS as its a new Macbook.
DeeJay*CASPER 9:39 PM - 5 January, 2019
nope.....move on sir.....sorry to say
dj_soo 1:46 AM - 10 January, 2019
Serato stopped official support at Yosemite.

If you want to use scratchlive without potential issues, install Yosemite
Gio Alex 5:30 PM - 10 January, 2019
move on, and download Serato DJ Pro... SSL ain't gone happen. If it didn't work with the previous OS' it's definitely not gonna work with the current one.
al83 9:18 PM - 10 January, 2019
Quote:
move on, and download Serato DJ Pro... SSL ain't gone happen. If it didn't work with the previous OS' it's definitely not gonna work with the current one.

There’s actually a work around which involves fiddling with drivers, just thought maybe Mojave was more friendly to SSL perhaps..

It’s personal preference, I’ve been an SSL user since 2005 and I still think it’s the best DVS system there’s a ever been, for many reasons. I don’t use controllers and although SDJ has some cool features (and v2 is a much improved release), SSL is still way superior for DVS, for me at least. Plus I have 13+ years of trust in it!
Chino 9:29 PM - 10 January, 2019
Quote:

It’s personal preference, I’ve been an SSL user since 2005 and I still think it’s the best DVS system there’s a ever been, for many reasons. I don’t use controllers and although SDJ has some cool features (and v2 is a much improved release), SSL is still way superior for DVS, for me at least. Plus I have 13+ years of trust in it!

I'm STILL a HUGE fan of SSL too. I have it installed on Sierra (10.12.6).
Gio Alex 9:46 PM - 10 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

There’s actually a work around which involves fiddling with drivers, just thought maybe Mojave was more friendly to SSL perhaps..

Well, I've learned something. I personally loved (I would say love, but I moved on finally) SSL. But once I started to get into SDJ features last year I couldn't go back to SSL again, as much as i loved it. I do have a 2012MBP that runs it, but I also stopped using that computer and use a newer one with SDJ Pro. PNT, Flip, and all these features got me hooked. This is coming from an old SSL user as well. I was suuuuuuper late on SDJ. Finally accepter using it summer 2018. So I totally get you.
dj_soo 10:14 PM - 10 January, 2019
I haven't even opened SSL in like 4 years.
Papa Midnight 6:02 AM - 11 January, 2019
Time to move on, man. Serato DJ is just better at this point than SSL. I do keep a copy on an old Hackintosh running 10.8, but I don't even remember the last time I opened it. I'm pretty sure it would crash instantly if it tried to load my library at this stage.
al83 6:32 AM - 11 January, 2019
Quote:
Time to move on, man. Serato DJ is just better at this point than SSL. I do keep a copy on an old Hackintosh running 10.8, but I don't even remember the last time I opened it. I'm pretty sure it would crash instantly if it tried to load my library at this stage.

It would probably load your library much faster and feel way snappier than SDJ..
Chino 1:46 PM - 11 January, 2019
Quote:
It would probably load your library much faster and feel way snappier than SDJ..

Oh no he didn't just go there, LOL! Threw in a subtle 'clap back' (not a fan of that term but it def applies to this situation).

The sad thing is that your prob right. The way SDJ Pro 2.1 loads libraries is painfully slow compared to 2.0.5.
Culprit 6:49 PM - 11 January, 2019
Just use the rootless hack

Google search disable rootless protection and it will work again and you can use both softwares
Chino 7:04 PM - 11 January, 2019
Quote:
Just use the rootless hack

Google search disable rootless protection and it will work again and you can use both softwares

Appreciate the suggestion! I will try it out.
Culprit 7:28 PM - 11 January, 2019
www.macworld.co.uk

Assuming that you know what you're doing, here is how to turn off System Integrity Protection on your Mac.

1 - Turn off your Mac (Apple > Shut Down).
2 - Hold down Command-R and press the Power button. Keep holding Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
3 - Wait for OS X to boot into the OS X Utilities window.
4 - Choose Utilities > Terminal.
5 - csrutil enable --without kext
6 - Enter reboot.

If you would like to reverse just change step 5 to "csrutil enable --with kext"

This just disabled sips for the kext directory, and leaves rootless for everything else.
Papa Midnight 8:03 PM - 11 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately no. SSL cannot support large libraries. It will literally crash if it tries to load it. The same bug exists in ITCH.

Reference these threads:

* serato.com
* serato.com

Quote:
The sad thing is that your prob right. The way SDJ Pro 2.1 loads libraries is painfully slow compared to 2.0.5.

They're definitely not wrong... Serato DJ 2.1 loads my library slow as hell. I have to wait over a minute for it to load, and updating it is brutally slow. Hell, yesterday, it outright closed on me with no error displayed.
al83 8:08 PM - 11 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Oh no he didn't just go there, LOL! Threw in a subtle 'clap back' (not a fan of that term but it def applies to this situation).

True story!

SDJ loads my library of 32k songs and a few hundred crates in 38s, SSL loads it in 20s... This is running on a 2017 i7 machine with a 1tb USB-C Samsung SSD.
al83 8:11 PM - 11 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately no. SSL cannot support large libraries. It will literally crash if it tries to load it. The same bug exists in ITCH.

Not true, I had a library of over 40k songs and hundreds of crates and SSL breezed it. I've since had a huge purge and down to 32k and its still speedy as..
Papa Midnight 11:10 PM - 11 January, 2019
Quote:
Not true, I had a library of over 40k songs and hundreds of crates and SSL breezed it. I've since had a huge purge and down to 32k and its still speedy as..

I hate to tell you this, but it's definitely true. There are literally 9 year-old threads for this stretching back to Serato ITCH (buried in the forum graveyard), and threads that were created with the inception of Serato DJ 7 years ago (serato.com). One thing that was established back then was that the number of tracks was not a sole influence cause of the crash.
al83 11:47 PM - 11 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I hate to tell you this, but it's definitely true. There are literally 9 year-old threads for this stretching back to Serato ITCH (buried in the forum graveyard), and threads that were created with the inception of Serato DJ 7 years ago (serato.com). One thing that was established back then was that the number of tracks was not a sole influence cause of the crash.

I remember SSL did have issues in beta versions with out of memory errors, but it usually got fixed for the final releases. When you say large, for me that is 30/40k songs, and SSL handles that without a hiccup. People did have problems with 100k size libraries, but that's understandable... l
Culprit 11:36 PM - 12 January, 2019
its because the database was stored in temporary memory space and limited to 32bit architecture (and still is with SSL unfortunately) which only gives you 4gb at most to work with, please correct me if im wrong.

SDJ solved that in a recent update moving towards 64bit, but yes we were screaming for 64bit for many many years as the project dragged on.

In reality, it's just about the software and project direction because they need to make sure they got enough products out to sustain the business, so I understand why they could not invest in something that wouldn't really produce a profit return. It would of been more a move for customer loyalty.

When OSX decided it was going to kill off 32bit applications, it forced Serato to invest research and development of 64bit, but it was already too late for SSL.
Culprit 11:38 PM - 12 January, 2019
god i need to proof read my statements before posting, OSX meaning APPLE decided future OSX Software
dj_soo 1:50 AM - 13 January, 2019
there was a prevailing rumor that Rane had exclusivity to the ScratchLive software right down to the codebase written into the contract and that was the reason they had to rewrite the program from the ground up for SDJ rather than just converting ScratchLive.

There was also a rumor that Itch used some of the code from ScratchLive which is why they needed to change it.

Could be bullshit - i don't know.
Culprit 4:31 AM - 14 January, 2019
Quote:
there was a prevailing rumor that Rane had exclusivity to the ScratchLive software right down to the codebase written into the contract and that was the reason they had to rewrite the program from the ground up for SDJ rather than just converting ScratchLive.

There was also a rumor that Itch used some of the code from ScratchLive which is why they needed to change it.

Could be bullshit - i don't know.

I think it was more of an exclusive use rights
djvtyme85 2:01 AM - 15 January, 2019
I see no reason anyone is still using SSL. Serato DJ Pro is just as stable on High Sierra and so far so good with 2.1 on Mojave for me. Maybe all the library issues when SDJ first hit years ago still has people spooked but I truly don’t get it SSL is junk in comparison.
AKIEM 3:46 AM - 15 January, 2019
i forget the name of the effect, dub echo wind down - i would go back to SSL for....
sad
dj_soo 4:49 AM - 15 January, 2019
Roll out was one of my favourite SSL effects.
Sean Marks 7:09 PM - 27 September, 2019
Going back to the start of this thread and al33's question...
I am using SSL with an SL3 box on Mojave whenever I do an open-format set and have had no problems at all - smooth as ever, no glitches, all good.
I had occasional drop-outs with Sierra (maybe 0.2 of a second a couple of times in a 2 hr set, but with Mojave SSL is back on form.
So, for the few DJs out there who can mix without pressing a sync button SSL is still a viable option.
al83 7:37 PM - 27 September, 2019
Quote:
Going back to the start of this thread and al33's question...
I am using SSL with an SL3 box on Mojave whenever I do an open-format set and have had no problems at all - smooth as ever, no glitches, all good.
I had occasional drop-outs with Sierra (maybe 0.2 of a second a couple of times in a 2 hr set, but with Mojave SSL is back on form.
So, for the few DJs out there who can mix without pressing a sync button SSL is still a viable option.

SSL all the way, it’s still the better designed program IMO, for DVS at least.