Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SDJ Pro 2.1.x - works ok for me, let's compare specs

popnwave 8:07 PM - 4 January, 2019
Since a lot of the troubleshooting can get tedious maybe if folks can post WORKING setups to see if there are common denominators to help others squish their glitches. I jumped from 2.0.0 (skipped the smaller point releases) to the newest build they have for download (210797) that didn't get a release point bump.

MacBook Pro 15" mid-2012 non-retina (MacBookPro9,1)
Intel Core i7 2.7GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB VRAM
OS OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
OS Drive: SSD 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Library Drive: HDD 2TB Segate ST2000
Hardware Used During Sets: OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock w/ either Pioneer DDJ-SX or DDJ-SZ2
Software Used During Sets: SDJ Pro 2.1, MixEmergency 3.2, OBS 0.16.2, Chrome 71.0.3578.x, Macs Fan Control

Other Notes: WiFI on for streaming to restream.io via OBS as well as OBS recording my set real time to my OS drive.

Usually doing 4-6 hour video sets at the club/bar and occasional (1-2) ones at home when testing stuff out. Have not had any audio drop outs, controller issues (outside of sometimes needing to unplug/plug the TB dock when first opening up Serato so the controllers kick in) during a set so far with the current 2.1 build.

I DO NOT HAVE either Tidal or SoundCloud active (kinda pointless since I am a video DJ) so this is just using the standard functionality with my local library. The ONLY quirk I have noticed I think is the tags not showing on random files while browsing the library but upon loading the deck or dragging one to to re analyze in offline mode, it shows back up. Out of 20,000 MP4 video files I am only experiencing this with less than 20? I might just redo those containers and see if it's that.
Chino 9:27 PM - 4 January, 2019
^^^ Thanks for posting this! I just replaced my internal 750 GB HD with a 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I'm currently on OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I was thinking about moving up to Sierra (10.12.6) NOT High Siera or Mojave. I just need to hear feedback about Sierra BEFORE I take the plunge. Serato no longer 'officially' supports OS X 10.11.6 on SDJ Pro 2.1. It works well, though. My specs...

15" Mid 2012 MBP
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 quad core
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB VRAM
OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
1 TB Samsung 860 Evo internal SSD
LIBRARY: external 1 TB G-drive & 4TB G-drive running off of firewire 800
Mix Emergency 2.7.1 (YES, I will be updating to 3.2 before the start of my busy season!!)
Dan Faceme 10:34 PM - 4 January, 2019
Great idea for a thread.

I'm only a bedroom dj with the odd wedding gig 2 / 3 / 4 times a year with a mid 2010 mac book pro that's constantly tempting me to upgrade from Yosemite 10.10.5 to whatever is the latest OS.

I'm constantly encouraged by my non DJ mac user buddies to not upgrade as my mac won't handle the latest OS. It's always slightly nerve-wracking upgrading to latest Serato but as yet I've never had a problem. = touches wood

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
Memory = 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Processor = 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics = Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

Additional info = always run Serato with wifi off and SMC Fan Control on to cool the hard drive.
Chino 3:07 PM - 6 January, 2019
Updated to Sierra (10.12.6) yesterday. Ran the current build of SDJ Pro 2.1(210797) for 3hrs straight. Replacing my internal spinning HD with a SSD has made a HUGE improvement!!

SDJ Pro opens & closes much faster. Screen freezes/pauses have been reduced while performing library searches too. SDJ Pro seems 'snappier' overall.

I will continue to clean up & eventual replace my external music drives with 2TB SSDs.
CMOS 5:27 PM - 6 January, 2019
Macbook Air 2013
i5 1.3ghz processor
4GB Ram
256GB SSD, Music on External spinning drive.
MacOS Mojave

Running 2.1 since it was released.

Use it daily with my S9, and also with a 900 using club kit. Never turn off my wifi. Had to bump the latency up 1 notch when i moved to Mojave to stop dropouts but other than this not a hiccup.

Clean your macs you dont need a monster machine for audio.
CMOS 5:29 PM - 6 January, 2019
Learn what LaunchDaemons and LaunchAgents are and know whats running on your system.
HK1200 7:49 PM - 6 January, 2019
Works fine on my Windows 10 box, though I choose to use SSL because Dicetools doesn't work with SDJ, and I'm unwilling to give up that added functionality at present.
HK1200 7:57 PM - 6 January, 2019
Quote:
Works fine on my Windows 10 box, though I choose to use SSL because Dicetools doesn't work with SDJ, and I'm unwilling to give up that added functionality at present.

Guess I should mention specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel Xeon dual core @ 3.0ghz
12 GB ddr2 ram
Mid-range Nvidia graphics card whose specs escape me at present
120gb SSD for OS and apps
1TB optical drive for media

(If you don't already have an SSD for your operating system at the very least, get one stat. Biggest bang for your buck speed improvement available, assuming the rest of your box isn't a complete turd.)
popnwave 2:17 AM - 7 January, 2019
Quote:
Updated to Sierra (10.12.6) yesterday. Ran the current build of SDJ Pro 2.1(210797) for 3hrs straight. Replacing my internal spinning HD with a SSD has made a HUGE improvement!!

SDJ Pro opens & closes much faster. Screen freezes/pauses have been reduced while performing library searches too. SDJ Pro seems 'snappier' overall.

I will continue to clean up & eventual replace my external music drives with 2TB SSDs.

Hmmm super tempting to at least move up to Sierra then on mine. Will grab a 1TB for the OS now that those are under $150.
Diiijay 12:56 PM - 16 January, 2019
Fanboy???
This software sucks! I only use it because I won it as a gift. This company lives by partnering with hardware manufacturers and taking the name of this low-quality product.
mixgoonie 3:18 PM - 16 January, 2019
Then, Djay pro, Traktor, Mixvibes also sucks for their software.

Djay pro with the amount of crashes, Traktor for their know audio stutter with TR2 and 3, Mixvibes for their lack of updates and very bad effects.

Serato is the only software that do not provide stutter when the DSP latency checker is completely in the red. Just for that, we can tell it stable.

They are sure many improvement to do it does not sucks, there is work to do, yes ;)
Diiijay 3:28 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
Then, Djay pro, Traktor, Mixvibes also sucks for their software.

Djay pro with the amount of crashes, Traktor for their know audio stutter with TR2 and 3, Mixvibes for their lack of updates and very bad effects.

Serato is the only software that do not provide stutter when the DSP latency checker is completely in the red. Just for that, we can tell it stable.

They are sure many improvement to do it does not sucks, there is work to do, yes ;)

More and more fanboys... Thats why we have a poor software. We paid for that! Should work fine!
popnwave 3:29 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
More and more fanboys... Thats why we have a poor software. We paid for that! Should work fine!

Wow some dude in Brazil who can't figure out how to get his rig working... hmm who woulda thought?
Diiijay 4:15 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
Wow some dude in Brazil who can't figure out how to get his rig working... hmm who woulda thought?

Wow! An American(fanboy) who can not distinguish a bad software from a good one? The world is lost!
Diiijay 4:31 PM - 16 January, 2019
The software is so poorly developed that I realize that at any time we will have to buy a NASA computer to run it.
I'm not going to stop complaining. I paid for it and as a consumer I deserve something that works fully! No bugs to each version.
Comrade Tulayev 4:48 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
The software is so poorly developed that I realize that at any time we will have to buy a NASA computer to run it.
I'm not going to stop complaining. I paid for it and as a consumer I deserve something that works fully! No bugs to each version.

Works fine for me. I think the problem lies with you.
Diiijay 5:03 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Works fine for me. I think the problem lies with you.

Never had a problem??? In this and no other version??? You're definitely a very lucky guy!
It has been a long time since this software presented problems with each version. It's a shame! If I were the developers, I'd write a new code... from scratch! I'd be ashamed!
popnwave 6:22 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
Never had a problem??? In this and no other version??? You're definitely a very lucky guy!
It has been a long time since this software presented problems with each version. It's a shame! If I were the developers, I'd write a new code... from scratch! I'd be ashamed!

Sounds like user error since you continue to not say what isn't working and what you've done to troubleshoot.
Diiijay 6:50 PM - 16 January, 2019
Are you officially part of the support team? If it's not part of what's the point of answering your question?
popnwave 7:25 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
Are you officially part of the support team? If it's not part of what's the point of answering your question?

It's called crowd sourcing, you troll. There's a lot of people who get help from other forum users.
Diiijay 9:01 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

It's called crowd sourcing, you troll. There's a lot of people who get help from other forum users.

I don't want help from a "fanboy ". The trend is "Cover the sun with sieve " and do not fill sizes errors that the software has. It's like a football team supporter who beats others, only by rooting for other teams.
Comrade Tulayev 9:28 PM - 16 January, 2019
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
popnwave 9:52 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
I don't want help from a "fanboy ". The trend is "Cover the sun with sieve " and do not fill sizes errors that the software has. It's like a football team supporter who beats others, only by rooting for other teams.

You should just change your profile pic to something more suitable:

media.giphy.com
Diiijay 11:15 PM - 16 January, 2019
Quote:
You should just change your profile pic to something more suitable:

I don't think so. It perfectly indicates the quality of the software.
Dose 11:55 PM - 22 January, 2019
Quote:

but... a few posts before:

Quote:
Fanboy???
This software sucks! I only use it because I won it as a gift. This company lives by partnering with hardware manufacturers and taking the name of this low-quality product.

Don't mean to feed the trolls...but at least be consistent.
Diiijay 10:26 AM - 24 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

but... a few posts before:

Quote:
Fanboy???

Don't mean to feed the trolls...but at least be consistent.

There are so many fanboys that that is why this software (which only lives on disclosure and partnerships) will never go to bankruptcy.
If you do not know: To win something of gift someone has to pay, okay? The software was paid in my name. The account is with my data, so I have the right to use. I'm glad it was present. Otherwise I would be extremely sorry for this purchase.
popnwave 3:41 PM - 24 January, 2019
Quote:

There are so many fanboys that that is why this software (which only lives on disclosure and partnerships) will never go to bankruptcy.
If you do not know: To win something of gift someone has to pay, okay? The software was paid in my name. The account is with my data, so I have the right to use. I'm glad it was present. Otherwise I would be extremely sorry for this purchase.

Please GTFO of this thread if you can't stay on topic.
Diiijay 5:03 PM - 24 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Please GTFO of this thread if you can't stay on topic.

I have as much right as you to be on that forum. I am not fanboy of Serato brand I will keep complaining about this crap software until it becomes something, really, good! And there's one more thing. I have kept the education and I have not used words of "Shorty swill " at any time.
Dose 9:39 PM - 27 January, 2019
To get back on topic - I have 2.1 running without any issues that I've noticed.

Running on a Dell XPS 13 (9370)
Intel Core i7 8550U
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Home Insider build 18323.19h1
500GB HD
Connected through UBC C (using a DJ Techtools USB B to USB C chroma cable)

Haven't had any issues, even on insider builds. The audio drop out light still blinks every now and then, but audio stays consistent.

Library seems to load SLIGHTLY slower than previous build...but not by much (to the point where I think its just in my head).
popnwave 4:21 PM - 28 January, 2019
Quote:

Intel Core i7 8550U
16GB RAM
500GB HD

Haven't had any issues, even on insider builds. The audio drop out light still blinks every now and then, but audio stays consistent.

Library seems to load SLIGHTLY slower than previous build...but not by much (to the point where I think its just in my head).

^^^ very cool the XPS 13s I use at work have me very tempted to consider a 15 if/when my MacBook Pro dies.
KMXE 9:57 AM - 5 February, 2019
Hey guys,

I've only recently upgraded from a 57SL and Scratch Live to a 72 & SDJ Pro 2.1 and mixing music was fine, but I was having issues with mixing videos using ME.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

SDJ Pro 2.1
ME 3.2

Initially when mixing video I was getting audio dropouts sometimes after a few minutes, but most often than not I would get major audio dropouts after 10mins of video mixing.

I tried all the optimisations suggested here support.serato.com and here support.serato.com and nothing worked.

I thought the solution was SMC fan as it worked once or twice (no dropouts) but was not rock solid.

I then found this video on cleaning out the dust from inside my MBP Watchwww.youtube.com - I wanted to do this as I installed SMC Fan and I figured it would help.

Amazingly after I cleaned out the dust, I was able to run SDJ Pro 2.1, ME 3.2 and even Ableton Live all at the same time and so far no major problems. I've been able to video mix, record audio in Ableton and video with ME etc!

Opening my MBP and cleaning out the dust was so easy and its definitely extended the life of my MBP and now I don't need to think about switching between the 72 and 57SL whenever I want to mix videos.

I've been testing for the last 3-4 days and so far so good. I'll keep testing and report if there are any changes.
popnwave 5:58 PM - 5 February, 2019
Good find! Heat retention from dirty fans or dust accumulation on the board can certainly cause odd problems that will drive you nuts trying to troubleshoot.
Diiijay 7:21 PM - 2 March, 2019
Quote:

Intel Core i7 8550U
16GB RAM
500GB HD

You're a lucky guy (just read the various reports in this forum). But frankly ... how big is your library? Mine is very big! Did you like me and tested your library on other DJ software? I test my extensive library on the free version of VirtualDJ and it opened up instantly! And I discovered something else very good! In VirtualDJ we do not need to manage two libraries (the music files and the Crates). Just point to your music folder and all are recognized by the application. If you add a new song it automatically recognizes it. It is not necessary to add the new songs to the Crates library. I will end up becoming fanboy of VirtualDJ but as I have no money to buy it I will continue demanding a SeratoDJ without bugs.
popnwave 12:17 AM - 4 March, 2019
22,000+ music videos.

Folder wise they are separated by decades and that is all.

1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s
1990s
2000s
2010s

I use my tags for sorting inside of SDJ into more refined crates.

Also I just migrated to High Sierra 10.13.6 with a clean install and my libraries moved with no issue to a new 4TB SSD I replaced my old 2TB HDD with for my library.
Diiijay 4:02 PM - 4 March, 2019
Quote:
22,000+ music videos.

Folder wise they are separated by decades and that is all.

1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s
1990s
2000s
2010s

I use my tags for sorting inside of SDJ into more refined crates.

Also I just migrated to High Sierra 10.13.6 with a clean install and my libraries moved with no issue to a new 4TB SSD I replaced my old 2TB HDD with for my library.

==================================================================
kkkkk I keep imagining you at night working and saying to the audience: "Wait another minute that my Serato DJ is loading my extensive library and already I will play the greatest success for you."
kkkkk these fanboys make me laugh !!!
Dose 5:56 AM - 29 March, 2019
Quote:

==================================================================
kkkkk I keep imagining you at night working and saying to the audience: "Wait another minute that my Serato DJ is loading my extensive library and already I will play the greatest success for you."
kkkkk these fanboys make me laugh !!!

lol. this cat is funny.