DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sub Woofer Question

DJkahar aka Skyscraper 6:48 PM - 18 July, 2009
Here's the story. My regular spot I DJ at has a decent sound system. But last night the sub woofer kicked off. I looked down at the amp that powers the sub and its red light were just staying on. This lasted for about a minute while I was scrambling around. Then sub kicked back in and I looked down and the amp looked like it was back to normal.

It did this 2 separate times for about the same time. I remember the songs I was playing at the time were pretty bass heavy. Its like the amp over heats or something, i don't know. I never red line on my mixer, so im thinkin I have to make some tweaks on their system.

Im no audio tec or sound guy, but I know the basics. Any ideas of what the deal is?
DJ GaFFle 5:34 AM - 19 July, 2009
More details plz...
DJMark 10:19 AM - 19 July, 2009
Quote:
im thinkin I have to make some tweaks on their system.

Im no audio tec or sound guy

The venue should call in an "audio tec or sound guy", assuming they own the equipment.

Sounds like *probably* the amp and/or the driver(s) in the subwoofer overheated.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 10:40 PM - 19 July, 2009
^^^yeah i'll probably ask them to do that. I was wonderin if there was any quick tweaks I could do. Jus so I know what to do for future reference .
DJDaveOtt 11:01 PM - 19 July, 2009
^^
unfortunately the only thing you can do is turn down the bass.
it's probably a good thing that the amp kicked off and its a good sign that it started working again...

is there a crossover? eq? what kind of mixer are you using? do you connect to a "house" mixer? by that, i mean one they have installed... what amp is it?
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 3:20 PM - 21 July, 2009
Quote:
^^
unfortunately the only thing you can do is turn down the bass.
it's probably a good thing that the amp kicked off and its a good sign that it started working again...

is there a crossover? eq? what kind of mixer are you using? do you connect to a "house" mixer? by that, i mean one they have installed... what amp is it?

All I do is plug my DJM 400 into their house mixer when I get there. I haven't actualy got down there to take a close look at the amps. So im not sure if they have a crossover or not. It seems like theres not enough power. It seems like I have to turn up my mixer and the house mixer to high to get it loud enough in there.
DJDaveOtt 4:46 PM - 21 July, 2009
man, get me some model numbers of:
house mixer
amps
anything else

and where are the settings? sounds like the amp may be turned down...

u really need to call a sound tech and get him in there
DPR250R 6:21 PM - 21 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
im thinkin I have to make some tweaks on their system.

Im no audio tec or sound guy

The venue should call in an "audio tec or sound guy", assuming they own the equipment.

Sounds like *probably* the amp and/or the driver(s) in the subwoofer overheated.

Places that don't maintain their ish have dust buildup issues. Just like the fan in your laptop.

You have to take the amp apart and clean it out now and again.

It's free to check yourself.... messy to clean though. Shop vac all the way....
DJDaveOtt 6:33 PM - 21 July, 2009
^^
good call. never thought of that...
King Fader 9:22 PM - 21 July, 2009
This is what's called "thermalling" or going into "protect" mode
generally caused by overheating or shorts.

In your case it was probably overheating.
If the amp isn't properly ventilated or the air filters, if any, are clogged this
will cause the amp to do this, also if the amp running beyond it's capacity this doesn't help either, that is if it's driving more speakers than it wants to be.

once it cools down it comes back on.
mastermind 10:19 PM - 21 July, 2009
Clean your stuff!!!
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 3:12 PM - 22 July, 2009
Quote:
man, get me some model numbers of:
house mixer
amps
anything else

and where are the settings? sounds like the amp may be turned down...

u really need to call a sound tech and get him in there

I'll get all that stuff on Friday when I go back. And I'll update you.

Quote:
This is what's called "thermalling" or going into "protect" mode
generally caused by overheating or shorts.

In your case it was probably overheating.
If the amp isn't properly ventilated or the air filters, if any, are clogged this
will cause the amp to do this, also if the amp running beyond it's capacity this doesn't help either, that is if it's driving more speakers than it wants to be.

once it cools down it comes back on.

I'll take my can of compressed air and blow it out and dust everything. I don't think they have it ventilated that great. I do have a little fan I use. I might put it down by the amps to give them some air.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 6:10 PM - 27 July, 2009
Heres a update..heres the sound their using.
- Furman 223 XL 3 way crossover
- Crown XLS 602 amp for the 2 mids
- Crown XLS 402 amp for the sub
- Behringer XENTX 802 2 bus 8 input house mixer
- JBL JRX 100 Mids and Sub

I did find a nice amount of dust build up in the front vents of the two amps. I dusted everything off real good and made some adjustments to the crossover.

I didn't have any issues with the sub this weekend, but I was really watching the bass levels. Seemed like I was more concerned about that than my actual mixing. Let me know of any other tips or tweaks I can do, so I don't have to worry about blowin their shit up.
ZESH! 9:13 PM - 27 July, 2009
scraper...Get a tester (digital multimeter)...cheap at RadioShack

Test the resistance of your speaker (Ohms) .. Red on positive...Black on negative
Your speaker should not have a number lower than your amp's stable rating Don't put tester to amp...the rating is on label

example: Speaker=8 Ohms Amp Stable @ 8 Ohms or lesser --GOOD
Speaker=4 Ohms Amp Stable @ 8 Ohms --NO GOOD

Will try to make this as less winded and confusing as possible
EXAMPLE
Your amp pumps out 1000 watts at 8 ohms (stable)
Your speaker is 4 Ohms
Your amp "sees" 4 ohms
Your amp pumps out 2000 watts at 4 Ohms, but is not stable at 4 Ohms
It will over heat and shut off and/or blow
(The lower the Ohms your amp sees, the more power it is forced to give)

I can go into more detail if you need

Then again, maybe you just need to clean the dust of heheheh =o)
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 10:51 PM - 27 July, 2009
Damn I should have looked at the ohms on the amp and sub. I'll have to do that this weekend. Thanks for the explanation. I've always been kinda unclear on that type of stuff. I'll check out that tester too.
DPR250R 12:58 PM - 28 July, 2009
The thing about resistance (Ohms) is that this would have been a consistant issue from the day the system was put together.... because it would have been designed improperly. Rated resistance is not supposed to change.... if it does it is usually too late.. (speaker = dead)

The way I read what was going on is that this is something that just started happening so you would want to look at things that can change with years of use and abuse.

Resistance is still very important to understand though....
Tunecrew 6:51 PM - 28 July, 2009
speakers actually have impedance (measured in Ohms) - resistance applies only to a constant current, i.e. D.C.

if you use an ohmmeter to measure a speaker, you are measuring DC resistance (which is also measured in Ohms), and will get a reading somewhat lower than what their impedance rating is, e.g. an 8 Ohm speaker may have a DC resistance of 6 Ohms.

You should not need to measure speakers like this ever, as their impedance should be indicated somewhere on them, and if not, you should be able to look it up by the model number.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 7:50 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
The way I read what was going on is that this is something that just started happening so you would want to look at things that can change with years of use and abuse.

Their system is only 4 or 5 months old. It's all really new. And only used by me on the weekends. Im basicly just afraid to push the system to hard. Its a bad look when the dance floor is packed and your bass disappears all of a sudden. Everybody looks at you crazy.
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:01 PM - 28 July, 2009
Just pretend like you are knob twisting and then when the bass kicks back in do the jesus pose and people will love it!! lol
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 8:18 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
Just pretend like you are knob twisting and then when the bass kicks back in do the jesus pose and people will love it!! lol

^^Lol. You could get away with that with certain types of music. That doesn't sound as cool when your playin hip hop.

Ok I posted some links to the sound they use.
Amps and Specs
www.crownaudio.com
Sub and Specs
www.instrumentpro.com

Maybe you guys could help me with some of the technical stuff on these.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 8:19 PM - 28 July, 2009
Oh yeah and again the amps are the 402 for the sub and 602 for the mids
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:21 PM - 28 July, 2009
just by looking at the types of amps, you shoudl prob put the 602 for the subs since it's the bigger amp.
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:24 PM - 28 July, 2009
Def. You are underpowering the subs, so you want to push them harder but you can't because you don't have enough headroom. You really should have the club invest in some better amps, but switching the 602 and the 402 will help a little, but you may still run into a little problem when wanting to keep pushing.
DPR250R 8:25 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
speakers actually have impedance (measured in Ohms) - resistance applies only to a constant current, i.e. D.C.

Fine I will get back to designing rocket ships.... my day job.... lol....
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 8:31 PM - 28 July, 2009
Quote:
Def. You are underpowering the subs, so you want to push them harder but you can't because you don't have enough headroom. You really should have the club invest in some better amps, but switching the 602 and the 402 will help a little, but you may still run into a little problem when wanting to keep pushing.

I'll try and get there early on Fri and check that out. Hopefully its not to complicated to switch the two around.
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:43 PM - 28 July, 2009
shouldn't be at all
DJ GaFFle 5:11 AM - 29 July, 2009
Quote:

THose Crowns aren't too great in the first place for subs. That's Crowns cheaper consumer-level amps. You're not getting the specs listed especially in full range mode. THeir specs are listed at 1Khz values... full range sound for speakers ranges from 20-20Khz. If they listed the 20-20Khz wattage rates, they would be lower. None of those amps have great 'dampening' rates either so they won't control sub bass very well (they'll give a flubbing bass sound on deep notes).
ZESH! 11:27 AM - 29 July, 2009
Quote:

Thanks Tune...You're absolutely right...oops
Quote:
The thing about resistance (Ohms) is that this would have been a consistant issue from the day the system was put together.... because it would have been designed improperly. Rated resistance is not supposed to change.... if it does it is usually too late.. (speaker = dead)

DP is also correct...When I read the original post again it DID mention that it was his regular spot...Which means that the equipment is never broken down like a Mobile Dj rig.

How many Subs are hooked up to the 402...One?

Oh yea...like earlier posts...switchem =o)
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 3:47 PM - 29 July, 2009
Quote:
How many Subs are hooked up to the 402...One?

^^Yeah the 402 is runnin jus one Sub.

Ok so I doubt I can get the cheap ass owners to put anymore money into their sound. I've already talked to them about it. So if their sound blows up, they can't say I didn't say anything. But anyway the spot is not like a huge club. Its average size and the system they do have gets loud enough and gets the job done.

So just by looking at some of the specs of their sound system, what level do you guys think could I set on the amps, crossover and house mixer for it to sound decent and me not damage anything?
DJ McKay 11:45 PM - 29 July, 2009
only thing i really do when i am djing and take in to consideration that i use my own system 99% of the time,so i am always looking at my internal amps to make sure they dont go into the red. sometimes they go into the yellow on the amp but i dont let it rock like that if the yellow limiter light stays solid , cause then the next step is red and that means its about to clip the amp NO GOOD !!
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:47 AM - 30 July, 2009
exactly. Always glance at the amps especially if you feel or hear the bass line a little harder or deeper than it was the song prior. I do it all the time and it becomes like 2nd nature and you won't run into that problem.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 9:45 PM - 1 August, 2009
Another update:
So last night I went in a little early to make some tweaks. I balanced everything out on the amps and crossover. I put all the gains and highs and lows and everything right in the middle. Then I switched the sub to the bigger 602 and the mids to the smaller 402. There was nobody really there yet so I did a sound check and the bass sounded like shit. There was hardly any bass actually.

So I tried to make some adjustments to the crossover and amps but nothin really sounded any better. So it's gettin close to 9 so I just decided to switch it back to the way it was before. But for the rest of the night it just didn't sound normal. To much trebble, bass was kinda sounding distorted on some songs.

Im gonna go in tonight and mess with it some more. Im jus gonna have to tell them to get a sound guy out there to look at this sound system. I dont know enough about this stuff and I don't want to mess anything up.
ZESH! 1:07 AM - 2 August, 2009
Maybe your mixer?? Bad outputs...distorted...Set EQ on mixer to flat???...All i can think of
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:02 AM - 2 August, 2009
There has to be some sort of setting on the eq or xover that you might have touched and not realized for it to sound shitty.
Go in on an off night if you can and take your time with it.
Dj MikeG 5:55 PM - 2 August, 2009
I think the reason that the bass didn't sound right when you switched amps might be because most clubs run their setups through limiters also called compressors. to get it to work right you would have to rewire the amps connection through the compressor.
DJMark 10:53 PM - 2 August, 2009
1) Who installed and set up the system in the first place?

2) Why aren't they, or someone else with the appropriate knowledge/experience, being called in to fix the problems?

3) I'm not trying to be rude here, but you've stated numerous times in this thread that you "don't know what you're doing". An installed sound system of whatever-thousand dollar value in a venue depending on said equipment for their revenue should be left to people who actually "know what they're doing". Especially in a situation where it sounds like somewhat marginal equipment was chosen, there's a very real possibility of "experimentation" causing damage that will be costly to fix, and disruptive to the business.

4) The owners/management may come after you if things go wrong.
tsubliminal 5:08 AM - 3 August, 2009
use your vinyl covers to fan the amp when it cuts out ;-)

haha trust me
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 3:40 PM - 3 August, 2009
Quote:
1) Who installed and set up the system in the first place?

Some local music store.

Quote:
2) Why aren't they, or someone else with the appropriate knowledge/experience, being called in to fix the problems?

Thats what im sayin! I've told them thats what they need to do.

Quote:

3) I'm not trying to be rude here, but you've stated numerous times in this thread that you "don't know what you're doing". An installed sound system of whatever-thousand dollar value in a venue depending on said equipment for their revenue should be left to people who actually "know what they're doing". Especially in a situation where it sounds like somewhat marginal equipment was chosen, there's a very real possibility of "experimentation" causing damage that will be costly to fix, and disruptive to the business.

I asked them to have somebody come out there to check it out, and I said I could even meet them there so we could go over stuff together.
tehBEN 5:31 PM - 5 August, 2009
if the xls amp is in bridge mono, it can't handle a 4 ohm load of the sub.
the jrx 118s sub is a 4ohm speaker, 300 continous/1400 peak. (should run about 700-900 watts of RMS power to that thing)

when you swapped the amps, did you just swap the speaker outputs and not set the crossover accordingly? If so, thats why there was no bass.

you can swap them again, but make sure to swap the inputs also, then set the cross over to 120hz, that's an optimal setting.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 7:38 PM - 7 August, 2009
Quote:
you can swap them again, but make sure to swap the inputs also, then set the cross over to 120hz, that's an optimal setting.

I went in and swapped amps and swapped the crossover inputs as well. Im gonna test it out tonight and see how it sounds. Crossin my fingers.
DJDaveOtt 8:24 PM - 7 August, 2009
Quote:
use your vinyl covers to fan the amp when it cuts out ;-)

haha trust me

tube amp?? been there, done that
now i feel old....

hell, i've even thrown a bag of ice on an amp...dont hate, i was 16 years old...altho it did work!
tehBEN 8:58 PM - 10 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I went in and swapped amps and swapped the crossover inputs as well. Im gonna test it out tonight and see how it sounds. Crossin my fingers.

how did it go?
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 10:16 PM - 10 August, 2009
^^^It didn't sound bad at all. No overheating either. My levels looked good to. No clipping. Im still gonna try and meet the sound guy out there this week, just so we can walk through and make some tweaks. I feel like I could be getting a little more bass. Hopefully he's not mad at me for switchin his shit around.
tehBEN 10:31 PM - 10 August, 2009
glad to hear it worked out. If I was in your area I'd drop in and help tweak the system.

here's something you can do on top of this tweak:

Turn the master out on the 57 all the way up to max.
Turn the amps to -inf or to the far left so they are not outputting signal

Turn the master out on the house mixer to max, put the channel you are on to max and put the gain for the mixer on 0

Gains on the cross over to the middle or 0

play your loudest song and slowly bring up the volume knobs on the amp to the point where they sound distorted or you hit the limiter/clip light. When you hit the limiter/clip light, turn the knob back to the left 3 db .

Do the same for the sub and adjust the levels of both amps till the sub and the highs are not fighting each other in volume.

Turn the master volume on the 57 to the left so it's at the middle position and start there at the beginning of the night and gradually turn up the master as more and more people come into the venue.

what you just did was set the optimal levels for your mixer and the club system. Even if you max out the volume on your 57, the house system would ahve already been tweaked to handle it.

Give it a try and let us know hwo it went.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 6:29 PM - 12 August, 2009
^^^ I'll try that out. And by 57 I take it your talkin about my mixer right? I got the DJM 400.
tehBEN 6:52 PM - 12 August, 2009
oops I was thinking of my mixer, haha. But let me know how it goes.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 7:25 PM - 12 August, 2009
I knew what you ment. I'm gonna try those tweaks out on Friday and update you on how it goes.
tehBEN 7:29 PM - 12 August, 2009
sweet, hope it works out well.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 7:39 PM - 25 August, 2009
Ok update of whats been going down. So their sound guy has been in there and adjusted the levels. They even added some more speakers to the bar area so it sounds better. Overall everything sounds better then it did before.

Only thing thats still not quite right is the sub once again. It sounds good with most songs, but on the songs with deeper bass, the sub sounds like it distorts. But when that did that, there was no red lining or clipping anywhere.

Any ideas peoples?
tehBEN 7:54 PM - 25 August, 2009
sounds like the sub bottoms out (more likely to happen with a single sub). they should have added another sub instead (close together, like stacked or side by side), that way they double the DB output and the levels wont have to be too high to output the same amount volume. See if thats an option, i probably would have opted for a Dual 18 or a single srx 718 sub with 4x the wattage... but that might be over kill for that place =)

where is the sub located in regards to the dance floor or what dance floor there is. Is there a way you can post a pic of the place or maybe a simple drawing of the floor plan and the location of the speakers? Sometimes speaker placement can help the overall sound with out adjusting the levels.
ZESH! 10:20 PM - 25 August, 2009
Quote:

It sounds good with most songs, but on the songs with deeper bass, the sub sounds like it distorts. But when that did that, there was no red lining or clipping anywhere.

Any ideas peoples?

Your speakers
Quote:

Specifications:

Frequency Range (-10 dB): 38 Hz - 300 Hz
Frequency Response (±3 dB): 55 Hz - 300 Hz
Sensitivity : 96 dB SPL
Nominal Impedence: 4 ohms
Power Capacity: 350 watts
Peak Power Capacity: 1400 watts
Recommended Amplifier Power: 350 watts to 700 watts into 4 ohms
Recommended Crossover Settings: 30 Hz HPF, 24 dB / octave; 80 - 100 Hz LPF, 24 dB / octave

The frequency response is a little higher than some recordings out there(55) Many songs drop below 40 and it's why yours sound like they're "pooting" out in the lower end. I believe your woofers simply can't handle it.
They can only handle 350 watts...(700 when needed for short bursts) into 4 ohms
Trying to push out frequencies it can't handle with an amp it can't handle

Recommended Crossover Settings: 30 Hz <---I wouldn't

set crossover point 60 and 80 Your system will work more effeciently, sound better. ... Instead of an amp pushing wattage set to lower frequency point and sounding like shit, you should have the setting so the amp uses its force to push the 55 Hz the woofer can handle

Sensitivity : 96 dB SPL <---kinda low...look at other speaker's specs. www.samash.com will find that the ones with a higher Sensitivity cost more (or at least I've noticed)
What this tells you is the louder you go with this speaker....the better your chance of distortion. period...Every component in your system has a measured sensitivity, and your system is only as good as the weakest link...in this case, the sensitivity
The Cerwin Vega will LITERALLY be OVER twice as loud just for the 12 dB difference. Which is one of the reasons you can pump some serious power into it! (Notice the rest of the specs listed)

It's just one of those "you get what you paid for" deals

He would have been better off paying for one of the CVs than buying multiple JBL JRX118S 18s
tehBEN 12:17 AM - 26 August, 2009
yea, the owner of his place sounded cheap but it could be worst,

the place I DJ at on friday night opted for the "cheap way" and got 6 american audio 15" subs to put around the venue....that should speak for itsself. 300 watts peak = crap. My car has 4 times the total system wattage than the bar.

I brought in my drive rack one time and the system sounded much cleaner but the owner still doesnt want to spend more than 2 grand on decent sound when the bar makes 15 grand almost every other night. I even offered to "design" and install the system so he wouldn't have to hire a sound tech to do the install and get charged an hourly fee.

Yep....
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 10:51 PM - 27 August, 2009
Quote:
set crossover point 60 and 80 Your system will work more effeciently, sound better. ... Instead of an amp pushing wattage set to lower frequency point and sounding like shit, you should have the setting so the amp uses its force to push the 55 Hz the woofer can handle

If this a retarted question im sorry. This is my lack of audio knowledge. Could you explain what you mean by the crossover point?

Quote:
where is the sub located in regards to the dance floor or what dance floor there is. Is there a way you can post a pic of the place or maybe a simple drawing of the floor plan and the location of the speakers? Sometimes speaker placement can help the overall sound with out adjusting the levels.

I'll try and describe it. It's basicly a square dance floor. The two mids are hanging from the ceiling above two of corners of the dance floor angled down toward the floor and toward the DJ booth. Directly across from the mids, is the slightly elevated DJ booth positioned in the middle of the two corners on the other side. Then the sub sits on the floor in the right hand corner of the dance floor, on the same side as the booth.

Hopefully you can get a decent mental picture from that decription.
ZESH! 11:57 PM - 27 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

If this a retarted question im sorry. This is my lack of audio knowledge. Could you explain what you mean by the crossover point?

My bad!...I'm speaking all this and it sounds like jibberish to you...not your fault at all
Your Amp & Woofers don't have Crossovers...I should have looked into it some more before my post

You need a crossover www.guitarcenter.com
The job of a crossover----think of it as a sound filter
You don't want highs comin out of your woofer
You don't want deep bass forcing itself out of a midrange speaker.

A crossover "assigns" what frequencies (sounds) come out of your speakers, but you have to make the adjustments yourself...not difficult to figure out since I'm sure you already know how to adjust an EQ (those little numbers on each slider are frequencies...checkem out)

I picked a RANE www.rane.com for you too look at...might put a lil smile on those guys faces---clik on the pic you'l see the #s I've been mentioning
But like anything else in this industry, prices start at about $100. And can skyrocket for better name/quality

All you need is a 2-way setup (Subs) + (Mids/Tweeters)
For a 3-Way you would have separate (Subs) + (Mids) + (tweeters) <---not your setup

I hope that cleared it up a lil
tehBEN 12:14 AM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:

I'll try and describe it. It's basicly a square dance floor. The two mids are hanging from the ceiling above two of corners of the dance floor angled down toward the floor and toward the DJ booth. Directly across from the mids, is the slightly elevated DJ booth positioned in the middle of the two corners on the other side. Then the sub sits on the floor in the right hand corner of the dance floor, on the same side as the booth.

Hopefully you can get a decent mental picture from that decription.

sounds like typical set up. Try turning the front sub so it faces the corner behind it, it might help out a bit. But Im certain the sub is underpowered. THE XLS amps, although decent, either of them is not right for the sub. That sub should be driven at 4ohms at 700 watts minimum. Can you confirm if the xls 402 they have is an xls 402D ?

if it is a 402D, that is the upgraded version of the xls 402 and it can handle bridge mono to 4ohms at 1100 watts which is plenty power for that sub. That would be more of an ideal set up.
DJ'Que 1:44 AM - 28 August, 2009
First off I only say you said it was jrx 100 (fullrange speakers)which don't suppose to put out bass at all only highs and mids (voice) with a 2 way crossover needed.second the amp redline coz it was clipping and you didn't notice it till it cut off (too later)which made it go in protect mode.now you should run the amp no lower then 3/4 up or all the way up.don't turn you mixer up like someone stated.distroction will blow the subs.or not enought power.one reason why when you switched amps and the bass sounded horrible was cuz you did switch the wire from the sub amp to the fullrange amp.make sure everything on any eq is flat,on mixer flat and always adjust from the mixing board.the 402 is is suitable for that sub in bridge mode both are 4ohm.the sub is only 350w at 4ohm but ur only running one sub which means your not getting major bass you need to run them in pairs.it kills me when I see people running 2 tops and one sub and say it don't sound right.no it shouldn't.I do sound and I also do engineering to.and most dj's don't watch their levels.watch your leavels and the quality of your mp3s .
DJ'Que 2:52 AM - 28 August, 2009
That's sub is rated at cont.350 and the amp is 450w at 4ohm it more then enought power you should not run 700 watts min.you will be visiting a speaker rapair place alot.the reason the amp shut down was mainly cuz of either heat or it was clipping and you were not looking at the amps like most djs don't do.that's the sound guys job.you only noticed it cos it shut off.also when you switched the amps you did switch the crossover connections I bet.since their running 1 sub I would set the freq low hrtz to about 50 or 55 cuz going at 30 you won't get the hit you won't cos ur running only one sub.with that amp.turn the volume up all the way and on your mixer make sure your bass,treble, and highs are flat.don't turn the master pass half.that will clip the amp.running 2 tops and 1 sub always sounds unbalanced when you have the crossover set right.and it is suppose to.no sound company including mines we don't send out 2 top and 1 bottom cos the tops over power the sub and ur like my sub sounds shitty.plus with the tops flying and the sub on the ground,add people in their and the sub disapear quick.but see if the furman has a low sum out and hook it up to that.I goota go setup for karaoke.I will check back later.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 3:40 PM - 28 August, 2009
Ok I have a picture of a crossover that looks close to the same crossover my spot has. It has all the same gain controls. I assume that one channel controls the mids, and the other the sub. I have a vague idea of what the other knobs control, but I think it would help if somebody could explain in detail what each knob does. Plus the buttons in between knobs.
www.madmanaudio.com
tehBEN 4:41 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:
That's sub is rated at cont.350 and the amp is 450w at 4ohm it more then enought power you should not run 700 watts min..

que, please have your facts straight before giving incorrect information
From www.jblpro.com
Quote:

Recommended Amplifier Power: 350 W to 700 W into 4 ohms

Quote:
the reason the amp shut down was mainly cuz of either heat or it was clipping and you were not looking at the amps like most djs don't do.that's the sound guys job.you only noticed it cos it shut off.also when you switched the amps you did switch the crossover connections I bet.since their running 1 sub I would set the freq low hrtz to about 50 or 55 cuz going at 30 you won't get the hit you won't cos ur running only one sub.with that amp.

Incorrect, you always want to set the system frequencies to match the acoustics of the room. 50hz X-over is cutting the subwoofer bandwidth too narrow. this will also make the sound too punchy and will kill the sub faster than you want.

Quote:

turn the volume up all the way and on your mixer make sure your bass,treble, and highs are flat.don't turn the master pass half.that will clip the amp.running 2 tops and 1 sub always sounds unbalanced when you have the crossover set right.and it is suppose to.

We've already got his system optimized for the room, now we just need to figure out the other options for the subwoofer situation. We have already established early on that it is underpowered.

Quote:

no sound company including mines we don't send out 2 top and 1 bottom cos the tops over power the sub and ur like my sub sounds shitty.plus with the tops flying and the sub on the ground,add people in their and the sub disapear quick.

It's called balancing the system. In less than Ideal situations, you balance the output of the tops to match the output of the sub. If you set the cross over frequency at an optimal level for the room (120hz is a good starting point) you adjust the levels of the flyable speakers to match the output of the subwoofer(s).

Quote:
but see if the furman has a low sum out and hook it up to that.I goota go setup for karaoke.I will check back later.

huh?
Did you read the whole thread or read bits and pieces of it?

DJkahar, The Sound production company I used to be with used to have 4 of those cross overs in our amp racks before upgrading to the Driverack 260 for live sound reinforcement. The manual for that thing is pretty straightforward in giving you the info you need. If you need more help after reading it, just feel free to ask.
ftp.dbxpro.com

keep that on your laptop and bring it with you to the venue next time you are there. And if you can, try to take a clear shot of the wiring in the back of the rack.

Let us know how it goes.

*SMH in the amount of misinformation in this thread.*
latindj 4:53 PM - 28 August, 2009
I thought the "sound guy" already came back out to fix the system? Why are you still messing with it?
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 5:00 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:
I thought the "sound guy" already came back out to fix the system? Why are you still messing with it?

Yeah he did. it sounds better but the bass is still kinda flubbers out on the songs with low bass. Im sure he didn't put it to the test like I do.

tehBEN I just printed out that manual here at work and im gonna sit down and read through it. I might have to get back to you for clairification.
tehBEN 5:24 PM - 28 August, 2009
NP Kahar, i probably wouldn't mess with the cross over now that the sound tech optimized it. What I would do is mark down the settings he has the cross over set at on the manual and then only tweak when needed. But as a courtesy, reset the knobs back to the original settings at the end of the night.

Could you take a screenshot of the wave forms for the song that has weird bass in the system? zoom in on the wave form as close as you can get it in SL using the + key. ( most of my fellow DJs here all have theirs zoomed out to the max, im the only one in the group who plays with the wave forms zoomed in) That quick view can tell me a lot.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 5:33 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:
Could you take a screenshot of the wave forms for the song that has weird bass in the system? zoom in on the wave form as close as you can get it in SL using the + key. ( most of my fellow DJs here all have theirs zoomed out to the max, im the only one in the group who plays with the wave forms zoomed in) That quick view can tell me a lot.

Can't quite remember what song I was playin. I might have to make a note of it tonight So by looking at that crossover, which dial would I ajust up or down for the bass?
tehBEN 5:36 PM - 28 August, 2009
The knobs that say "low output" will adjust the gain of the low frequency signal going to the amp running the sub.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 5:43 PM - 28 August, 2009
^^^Ok and as far as the actual amp for the sub. What would you think I should adjust that to? Halfway to start? And then just tweak the crossover up or down?
DJ'Que 5:46 PM - 28 August, 2009
Tehben.no your wrong. That sub is cont 350 watts.they say recomened amp to run is 350 to 700w.and that's the main reason jbl sub blow cuz of their poor judgement.that sub is suppose to take 350w all the time.you have continuous power, program power and peak power.I don't run jbl for the main reason of speakers blowing out.I also read the whole post but you didnt you didn't even notice he said they had a furman x-over.you need to read the specs again on that sub.tahben I glad you don't work for me.using the sub x over freq.at 50htz is better cos its only one sub not two.so he's looking for more bass which he's not go get.he can adjust the bass on the mixing board to tune the bass if certain songs have more bass.the over looked question is they had this system for 4 or 5 months before this problem,which means either he the new dj and they cut the other,or they had a bigger crowed and he started turning the volume up and the amp got hot and was clipping and he didn't look at the clip light on the amp.no dj to this day I know does this.he only said he was haveing a problem with the sub not the highs cutting off.and the first thing you say is about the tops.??? And tweeking his system to 120htz wtf.the highs is not the problem,the sub amp clipped on a muddy bass song and he didn't turn down the bass on that song and yeah it should of clipped and went into protect mode.he don't have a sound tech ear so he keep playing it at that level.he never had this problem 4 or 5 months ago.which means the sound was suitable.and I bet the sound guy didn't tweak it to 120 like you said and neither did he coz he don't know nothing about how a x over works.
DJ'Que 6:09 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

why are you telling him to tweak the crossover to 120.he's have a problem with the bass amp clipping not the highs.and those crossover are crap they don't work properly.all he has to to is adjust the bass on the mixing board and make sure his eq levels on his mixer is flat.no need to tweek his system to 120.if he wants more bass add another sub and set the freq to 30 or 40 htz perfer it be 40 with jbl.cos 30 you won't feel with alot of people in the room.and that and is strong enought for that's sub.you need to understand how to run and match up speakers to a amp before you wanna help.call a speaker repair company and ask what the most speaker they repair and see how they say jbl.why cos the rate their speakers to high and people run a amp that's rated that high and blow them.
DJ'Que 6:23 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah he did. it sounds better but the bass is still kinda flubbers out on the songs with low bass. Im sure he didn't put it to the test like I do.
Ok now you shouldn't be touching nothing.if the sound guy already cameout and adjusted it leave it alone and stop listening to tehben and have the sound guy comeout when your playing to adjust it.you have no clue of the crossover and you shouldn't be messing with it.that's why I put a limiter and a cage on my xover and limited so people that don't know what to do don't touch it.you can do 2 things turn the bass knob on ur mixer to the left and adjust by ear when you play the song or wait till the sound guy gets their and let him know ur going to play that song.also when you play the song and the bass if fluttery are you still behind the speaker or on the floor at a sound tech range to hear it from the front and not back.
djpuma_gemini 6:46 PM - 28 August, 2009
text keeps running awaaaaaayaaaaaay
DJ'Que 6:50 PM - 28 August, 2009
Dj karkar stop listening to this guy teBen he's giving you wrong info.the sound tech adjusted it already if its still not sounding right either tell him and wait for him to come adjust it again.and play that song or look for a better recording to that song cuz it seems to be recorded to loud.you have been getting alot of misinformation on tweak the system like turning the volume on the mixer all the way up.WTF THAT's A NO NO.The amp should be the only thing turn that far nothing else.look at the amp on bassy song to see if the clip light on it comes on.if it does then back the volume on it down till its not clipping.adjust the bass on ur mixer and leave the crossover alone.coz next the sound guy will tell the club to replace you.Just a Quik Question How Long you been djing for coz this is a very easy fix.besize all the mis info teben has been feeding you.
djpuma_gemini 6:56 PM - 28 August, 2009
Here is what I see when I read your posts

fha;lkfhs;dlfjdfadsfdsafhdsajkfhdskjlfhsdfdslfdsjfhlskjfhdsjkfhdskljfh
sadkljfhadlskjfhdsjklfhdskjfhdsakljfhdsakjlfhsadjkfhdsjkfhiluwehfeiouw
bhewioubnvewiluvbelwiuvbewiubvieuwbveiwubvieuvbewuivbewuivewuiBVEWILUB
VEIWVIELBVILEWBIEBVIeuwbviuewbufhKLHFAKDLFBIEUWABVIUAEWBVIUBVADJKLFBDA
SKJabkfludbfakdjsfhbdjksafhdksajfhdsklafhsadlkjfhadsfsfjhksadfhdsaklwa
aaaafuckingcrybabyaaajlk;fjdkl;fjdalskfjdkls;jfkls;jfldsajfsadkl;jflfj
kdlafdsfjlkdsfjslakfdjsgobacktoschoolaaajfkldfjl;ajsdkl;fjadsklfjdkls;
fjdkls;fjdkls;fjsdklfjdslakfjsaklfjdsaklfjaklsfjsdlakfjsaksldfjdlkjlsd
agetaneducationjfaklsdjfadklsfjadklsfjdsalfkdsjflkadsjfadklsfjdsaklfjd
saklfjdsaklfjdsflksj
DVDjHardy 6:58 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:
Here is what I see when I read your posts

fha;lkfhs;dlfjdfadsfdsafhdsajkfhdskjlfhsdfdslfdsjfhlskjfhdsjkfhdskljfh
sadkljfhadlskjfhdsjklfhdskjfhdsakljfhdsakjlfhsadjkfhdsjkfhiluwehfeiouw
bhewioubnvewiluvbelwiuvbewiubvieuwbveiwubvieuvbewuivbewuivewuiBVEWILUB
VEIWVIELBVILEWBIEBVIeuwbviuewbufhKLHFAKDLFBIEUWABVIUAEWBVIUBVADJKLFBDA
SKJabkfludbfakdjsfhbdjksafhdksajfhdsklafhsadlkjfhadsfsfjhksadfhdsaklwa
aaaafuckingcrybabyaaajlk;fjdkl;fjdalskfjdkls;jfkls;jfldsajfsadkl;jflfj
kdlafdsfjlkdsfjslakfdjsgobacktoschoolaaajfkldfjl;ajsdkl;fjadsklfjdkls;
fjdkls;fjdkls;fjsdklfjdslakfjsaklfjdsaklfjaklsfjsdlakfjsaksldfjdlkjlsd
agetaneducationjfaklsdjfadklsfjadklsfjdsalfkdsjflkadsjfadklsfjdsaklfjd
saklfjdsaklfjdsflksj

+1

Yes, DJ Kahar, it would be in your best interest to listen to the guy who types.like.this.and.spels.lik.dis.
DJ'Que 7:31 PM - 28 August, 2009
Dj puma_gemini.are you talking to me.cuz I don't have to type shit right.this aint no business contract.oh wait you don't use those..and I'm reading how tehben took it to a full system tweak.instead of turn ur bass down or make sure the song aint recorded to loud.he worked for a sound company.don't mean he was a engineer.why optomize a system at 120 when ur sub is at 50 and below.that's what so funny about his help.when the amp clips you back the amp volume down or turn on the limiter if the amp has it.someone touching a xover freq,that don't know how to adjust shouldn't get no help over the net.but get it in person.he should go to a dj store for on training help to hear the difference.
latindj 8:10 PM - 28 August, 2009
Yeah, he should go to a dj store for training...lmfao! That's the funniest piece of advice I've ever heard honestly. Those sales guys don't know shit except how to ring you up at the register. And to be honest, tehBEN knows a hell of a lot more than you give him credit for so why don't you just let skyscraper make up his own mind instead of making the problem worse?
DPR250R 8:24 PM - 28 August, 2009
I am no sound guy... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 9:07 PM - 28 August, 2009
Im in no position to decide who or who isn't right on this stuff. Im sure they both know way more about this stuff then I do. Im just tryin to find some solutions.
eder 9:16 PM - 28 August, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHA 50hz for the subwoofer crossover? Man that's like putting a limiter on your car engine to not rev above 3000 RPM. Skyscraper, I own many mobile setups with crossovers and limiter/compressors and you most DEFINITELY want the subwoofer crossover between 80hz and 130hz, depending on the low-end capabilities of your tops. For my bigass mobile rig with 8 tops and 4 subs, I roll w/ the crossover at around 120hz.
Maskrider 12:34 AM - 29 August, 2009
For me 90 hz would be just fine
tehBEN 12:38 AM - 29 August, 2009
Yea, Eder and I have collaborated a lot on many setups. We know what we are talking about.

Eder @ UCLA Dance Marathon
mrd0nut.xanga.com

Me @ UCLA Dance Marathon
mrd0nut.xanga.com

Me @ Rock the Beach Inter-Collegiate break dance finals, custom venue system collaboraton with eder.
photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net

Hot Import Nights with Eder
c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com

I've been doing live sound reinforcement for 7 years for various bands and venues.
DJing since I was 14, Im 26 now thats 12 years experience with sound equipment with 7 years of professional experience with sound systems ranging from 2k to 60k watts of total system power. Never in my 14 years around sound equipment have I blown or damage any speaker system. I know how to optimize the setup.

Im a Computer engineer by trade, I have a BS in Computer Engineering and a BS in Computer Science, Im working on my MS in computer science. I know how DSPs work, I design and program them for a living.

DJ'Que, if you want to continue to tell me Im wrong, be my guest. Im not going to stop you , go ahead and continue trying to discredit my education. Im sorry my attempt in trying to help people out on this forum by directing them to correct information and helping them understand the information is not correct in your eyes.

I shouldn't even have to put that information out there, Im done trying to help people here if all I do is get bashed by people who think they are right all the time because they can regurgitate sales brochures without understanding the physics behind how and why things work.

[end of bickering back on topic, peace out im done trying to help]
Jesus Christ 12:45 AM - 29 August, 2009
DJkahar...

1. listen to tehBen

2. listen to eder

3. ignore everthin ritten like dis.with poor grammer and terrible spacing.what.i.mean.is... Que is the new Tony Little.the end.ok.i'm dunn.not gonna rite anymore.thats all.no reely.honestly dis time.the end.
mastermind 12:49 AM - 29 August, 2009
DJ Que = the new tony little...... Wow.... homeboy is in terrible company

pic of tony little....c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com
Maskrider 12:54 AM - 29 August, 2009
Tehben has been very helpful in so many ways here in the boards. Just try to look up some of his comments.

This guy is Legit.
mastermind 12:55 AM - 29 August, 2009
^^^+1
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:35 PM - 10 March, 2010
RIP COREY HAIM