DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RCF ART745a vs. RCF NX45a vs. BassBoss DV12 vs. JBL VRX932LAP

pdidy 1:35 AM - 8 December, 2018
Hmmm, very interesting....
Watchwww.youtube.com
RIDDIMNBLUES 3:10 AM - 8 December, 2018
Quote:
Hmmm, very interesting....
Watchwww.youtube.com

Very interesting indeed, the nx45 sounds really good, was expecting the bassboss to blow away all of the others but I'm shock to hear his take on them, there is many people who swear by the dv12 so I'm wondering if he set the settings right on the back

What's your take on this comparison?
pdidy 4:27 AM - 8 December, 2018
Quote:
What's your take on this comparison?

Well, I own the RCF 745 and JBL VRX932lap so I know how great they are and I've spent a few Hours demoing the Bassboss DV12.

RCF ART745a vs. RCF NX45a - fair and accurate review, the RCF NX45a is the NEW version with better processing and FIR filters so it should sound a lil better as stated and I don't believe it has anything to do with the wood. The RCF's go low and can be used without subs because they have that "small sub" sound. The RCF745 is currently my favorite top and workhorse for everything. I even chose it over the Evox 8 & 12.

Bassboss DV12 - fair and accurate review, when i demoed it I was surprised at how well it could play bass with a solid KICK just as well as my 15" RCF745. I agree its overpriced at $3k due to the bassboss brand but the sound quality is excellent. I can't say for sure if it's as loud as a RCF745 but it was more than loud enough.

JBL VRX932LAP - I own the VRX932LAP and know for a fact that it requires specific Eqing at high volume, so that was the only questionable thing he said. I would not be surprised if the VRX932LAP is louder than the Bassboss DV12 because it is CRAZY loud and clean with proper Eqing. The VRX is definitely louder than the RCF745 but it does NOT go low and requires a sub as stated in the vid.

RCF745 vs JBL SRX815 - I've done the side by side demo and I agree the RCF745 definitely wins.
Johnnynights 9:06 AM - 8 December, 2018
Hey pdidy what you think about the bassboss dv12 vs jbl srx815p?..

I want to upgrade my srx815p..was looking into the rcf nx45a...but those vrx932lap dont sound bad at all.

Also the rcf hdl series look awesome but never heard those.
pdidy 11:01 AM - 9 December, 2018
Quote:
Hey pdidy what you think about the bassboss dv12 vs jbl srx815p?

im not willing to pay $3k for a speaker unless it can take the place of 2 speakers in spl. So by default I chose the jbl.

Quote:
I want to upgrade my srx815p..was looking into the rcf nx45a...but those vrx932lap dont sound bad at all.

while the rcf nx45a is better than the srx815p, I dont think its worth the loss in money to make the upgrade unless you just got money to blow. All upgrade just are not worth it if you already have a great speaker. Forget about the vrx932lap when you really need a versatile speaker like the srx815p. The vrx932lap is alot louder but it MUST be used with a sub always, the SRX is more versatile which is likely more important to you.

Quote:

Its a line array top thats a lil better in sound quality than the vrx932lap but its also NOT versatile and always needs a sub so again keep the srx815p.

Don't go line array unless most of your events REQUIRE the output of 4 or more tops and 4 or more subs. if most of you parties only need the spl output of 2 tops like the srx815p and 2 subs, line arrays are NOT for you yet.
Johnnynights 9:46 PM - 9 December, 2018
Quote:
<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="7">

Hey pdidy what you think about the bassboss dv12 vs jbl srx815p?

im not willing to pay $3k for a speaker unless it can take the place of 2 speakers in spl. So by default I chose the jbl.

<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="8">

while the rcf nx45a is better than the srx815p, I dont think its worth the loss in money to make the upgrade unless you just got money to blow. All upgrade just are not worth it if you already have a great speaker. Forget about the vrx932lap when you really need a versatile speaker like the srx815p. The vrx932lap is alot louder but it MUST be used with a sub always, the SRX is more versatile which is likely more important to you.

<div class="quote pl pr pt pb bg-l" readability="7">

Its a line array top thats a lil better in sound quality than the vrx932lap but its also NOT versatile and always needs a sub so again keep the srx815p.

Don't go line array unless most of your events REQUIRE the output of 4 or more tops and 4 or more subs. if most of you parties only need the spl output of 2 tops like the srx815p and 2 subs, line arrays are NOT for you yet.

Yeah I wouldn't want to drop 3k for just one speaker if it's not worth it also..

Looks like I should keep my srx815p then...only reason I was looking for a upgrade because sometimes I have done really big gigs were I feel like i need more throw in top speakers and those line arrays I'm sure would be perfect for that.

Yes most gigs I do my 2 srx815p and double subs do the job...now looking at it..it wont be worth it to get some..if I need some line arrays for big gigs think I'm just going to rent some.
Happy Recycling 10:50 PM - 12 December, 2018
I repeat: Tuba 60's. :)
pdidy 3:42 AM - 14 December, 2018
Quote:
I repeat: Tuba 60's. :)

Wrong topic?
dj_soo 5:32 AM - 14 December, 2018
You think the other speakers would match the VRX in volume if they were high passed at about 80hz? Doesn't really seem like a fair comparison where the full range 2-ways are being compared to a speaker that doesn't really reproduce many lows?

Also, don't you really need 2 VRX tops on each side to actually get the coverage of one of those other speakers?
pdidy 7:32 AM - 14 December, 2018
The vrx definitely has an unfair advantage because it’s designed to go lower and it is definitely louder.

The vrx requires proper aiming and height when used one per side while the column arrays are just point and shoot.
DJ GaFFle 4:30 PM - 14 December, 2018
Quote:

Looks like I should keep my srx815p then...only reason I was looking for a upgrade because sometimes I have done really big gigs were I feel like i need more throw in top speakers and those line arrays I'm sure would be perfect for that.

Yes most gigs I do my 2 srx815p and double subs do the job...now looking at it..it wont be worth it to get some..if I need some line arrays for big gigs think I'm just going to rent some.

Look no further than the SRX835p. It’s a 3-way box for better clarity and 60 degree horn that’ll definitely lend to better perceived throw.
pdidy 9:47 PM - 14 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Look no further than the SRX835p. It’s a 3-way box for better clarity and 60 degree horn that’ll definitely lend to better perceived throw.

I agree most 90° horns lose that in your face projection after about 40 feet while 60° horns will project a bit further without losing too much top-end. But if you need 80-100 feet of that in your face sound, that is where line arrays shine.
Don480 9:32 PM - 19 February, 2019
Has anyone compared the RCF NX45a to the RCF tt5a? I just ordered a pair of NX45a and wondering I made the right decision. Is their a huge difference in SQ between the two? Is it worth double the price to move up to the tt5a?
pdidy 11:44 PM - 19 February, 2019
Quote:
Has anyone compared the RCF NX45a to the RCF tt5a? I just ordered a pair of NX45a and wondering I made the right decision. Is their a huge difference in SQ between the two? Is it worth double the price to move up to the tt5a?

THE the RCF tt5a @ $4000 is generally out of the price range for 99% of djs so the potential better sound quality is not much of a consideration.

Its kind of like wanting a $250,000 Benz when you already own a $100,000 Benz, do you really NEED better quality?
pdidy 11:51 PM - 19 February, 2019
But if your pockets are big just get the rcf ttl6 and have the best www.proaudiostar.com
Don480 12:47 AM - 20 February, 2019
Good point. I’ll just stick with the NX45 then. Any subs you recommend with the tops?
pdidy 1:03 AM - 20 February, 2019
Quote:
Good point. I’ll just stick with the NX45 then. Any subs you recommend with the tops?

thats easy, the rcf SUB 8004-AS www.rcf.it

This is a solid system which allows for expansion in the future and will remain top of the line for djs for many years.
pdidy 1:09 AM - 20 February, 2019
Rebelguy 1:35 AM - 20 February, 2019
You could always go for the TW Audio T24N. It’s max output is 143db. Of course it’s $4200 a cabinet, passive, and is recommended to be used with Lab Gruppen or Powersoft Amps, but it could easily take the place of two of the speakers mentioned above.

www.twaudio.de
Don480 7:11 AM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

This is a solid system which allows for expansion in the future and will remain top of the line for djs for many years.

What about the 8005? I’m torn between the 18” 8004 vs the 21” 8005...not a whole lot of information on the 8005.
Don480 9:34 AM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What about the 8005? I’m torn between the 18” 8004 vs the 21” 8005...not a whole lot of information on the 8005.

Correction. Meant to say I can’t seem to find any reviews on the RCF 8005. Wondering if it’s worth dropping a little more coin and going with the 8005 vs 8004. Any compare the two? Thanks!
DJ Guayo 2:18 PM - 26 February, 2019
I have the 8004 and love the sub. But i know we as djs are always chasing the red dragon (bass). I would opt for the JTR Captivator 218 Pro (Powered). This will go lower and louder. The JTR goes 137dB of usable (not peak) and is better priced. The only question is will you be able to move it around.
pdidy 4:44 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
I have the 8004 and love the sub. But i know we as djs are always chasing the red dragon (bass). I would opt for the JTR Captivator 218 Pro (Powered). This will go lower and louder. The JTR goes 137dB of usable (not peak) and is better priced. The only question is will you be able to move it around.

my 4 x cap218pros arrives Thursday and that's my ONLY concern...lol
DJ Guayo 9:45 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

my 4 x cap218pros arrives Thursday and that's my ONLY concern...lol

Pdiddy is like F everything else, is it Thursday yet. You have a place to test them out for Thursday?
pdidy 10:16 PM - 26 February, 2019
Quote:
Pdiddy is like F everything else, is it Thursday yet. You have a place to test them out for Thursday?

I HAVE a ski trip in a large venue this Friday thru Sunday so it will be my first test with all 4 subs. There will be a lot of experienced sound guys and djs there so I have a lot of people waiting to judge them. But my anxiety and insomnia has been at level 10 for weeks, I seriously need some drugs to relax lol.
577er 1:53 AM - 27 February, 2019
You just need a back brace for the first few gigs so your excitement doesn’t do you in! Whenever I have a new heavy thing is takes a while to get used to how I have to move it without over doing it.
pdidy 2:17 AM - 27 February, 2019
Quote:
You just need a back brace for the first few gigs so your excitement doesn’t do you in! Whenever I have a new heavy thing is takes a while to get used to how I have to move it without over doing it.

Ironically I fucked up my back with my previous subs while lifting them up and downstairs, had to hire a Roadie for 4 weeks to continue working..... But since then I've gotten older and smarter and I have no intention on repeating that so I purchased a light weight mobile ramp which can get me up and down steps extremely easily with no lifting. www.amazon.com
Don480 11:20 PM - 27 February, 2019
Wow 🤯 Mind Blown! I just received my pair of RCF NX45A and these speakers sound incredible! I sold my JBL SRX835P and these sounds more clear and more HiFi. I have owned QSC KLA12’s, K12, and more recently tried K10.2 and was disappointed. These RCF are on par with my JBL M2’s that I use for critical listening. Unbelievable! So much details come out of these babies. I was close to purchasing the TT5A but was talked into these by a RCF rep and happy with the decision and my wallet is too.
pdidy 3:36 AM - 28 February, 2019
Quote:
Wow 🤯 Mind Blown! I just received my pair of RCF NX45A and these speakers sound incredible!

This comes as no surprise to those of us who own the rcf 745/nx45 lol. I play hard and loud with above average standards and even I love and promote them.

Quote:
So much details come out of these babies. I was close to purchasing the TT5A but was talked into these by a RCF rep and happy with the decision and my wallet is too.

This is exactly why I subliminally tried to steer you away from the TT5A, you didn't need the equivalent of a $250,000 benz to achieve GREAT sound..... Your wallet should be happy.
DJ Guayo 1:47 PM - 28 February, 2019
The clarity and throw is what stands out the most to me on with my HD32As.

piddy is over there like

Watchwww.youtube.com

pop and locking on the Thursday delivery..... lol

Quote:
Quote:
Wow 🤯 Mind Blown! I just received my pair of RCF NX45A and these speakers sound incredible!

This comes as no surprise to those of us who own the rcf 745/nx45 lol. I play hard and loud with above average standards and even I love and promote them.

Quote:
So much details come out of these babies. I was close to purchasing the TT5A but was talked into these by a RCF rep and happy with the decision and my wallet is too.

This is exactly why I subliminally tried to steer you away from the TT5A, you didn't need the equivalent of a $250,000 benz to achieve GREAT sound..... Your wallet should be happy.
Johnnynights 4:59 PM - 28 February, 2019
Rcf Hdp45a is that like a new update to the HD series?

Or is it like a nx45a/745?
RIDDIMNBLUES 11:41 AM - 31 May, 2019
Sold my JBL srx812's and bought 2 RCF nx45a tops due to be delivered today, cant wait to hear them..

HDP45 vs NX45A this is question everyone is asking, my guest is the wood box (nx45a) will sound better
pdidy 3:07 AM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
HDP45 vs NX45A this is question everyone is asking, my guest is the wood box (nx45a) will sound better

In 2019 a quality plastic cabinet will perform equally as well as a quality wood cabinet. For this reason, I tend to go plastic to save weight when there is an equal option.

If you need the Wood vs Plastic proof I will dig it up?
RIDDIMNBLUES 3:54 AM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

In 2019 a quality plastic cabinet will perform equally as well as a quality wood cabinet. For this reason, I tend to go plastic to save weight when there is an equal option.

I got the nx45 last week, was gonna send it back for the hd45 but changed my mind after speaking to a few people who swears they cant really hear a big difference between the 2 boxes...I also like the looks of the nx45 over the hd45
pdidy 4:01 AM - 11 June, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got the nx45 last week, was gonna send it back for the hd45 but changed my mind after speaking to a few people who swears they cant really hear a big difference between the 2 boxes...I also like the looks of the nx45 over the hd45

I'd be surprised if there were a noticeable difference in sound.