DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

files crashing SSL. were fine before...

skillmore 3:02 PM - 3 December, 2018
greetings. long time since i been on here.
i seem to have an odd issue, some of my files are crashing SSL. i tried them on internal hard drive and externals. keeps happening and they are files i purchased or have the cd of. none from mp3pools seem to be affected. it is random it appears. this problem seems to have started about 3 to 4 weeks ago.
i am gonna try re converting them and see what i get.
has this ever happened to anyone before?
i am using 2.5.0 i have not tried them exclusively on my mac yet....but i djing every week with it i seem to have no problems.
HP laptop i3 1.90GHz windows 10 64 bit
any advice would be great .
thanks a bunch!
Culprit 3:27 PM - 3 December, 2018
Have you tried playing these with your computers regular media player?
skillmore 5:24 PM - 3 December, 2018
yeah they play fine. i am really puzzled lol thank you tho
Culprit 6:46 PM - 3 December, 2018
are these files on an internal drive or external drive? how old is the laptop?
skillmore 7:13 PM - 3 December, 2018
i have played from both. laptop is 3 years ish
DJ Reflex 1:31 AM - 4 December, 2018
OK - I had this problem many years ago (when SSL was still being supported by Serato). I can't remember the thread I started, but here's what I found...

My issue was files that had non-English characters in them. Carefully check all the ID3 tags. You can use iTunes or any other 3rd party software for this. Also look for unusually long character strings in the tags. I had a file once with empty spaces that filled the whole "comments" block.

Once you've cleaned up the ID3 tags for your troubled files, reload the V2 file in Serato. There's articles on this and it's not hard.

Good luck!
skillmore 11:47 AM - 4 December, 2018
ok i will check that out thank you very much. so this problem is possible with itunes and cd rips ? i could understand web rips as they are usually loaded with info in the id3 tags. but i sty away from shit source and prefer to use pools and itunes.
skillmore 1:00 PM - 4 December, 2018
isnt ssl or dj pro a 3 rd party software? you can bring up all of the columns and see id3 info no?
DJ Reflex 8:09 AM - 5 December, 2018
You can see the ID3 tags in Serato, but there are plenty of extra "hidden" tags/fields that either don't show up or are not able to edit. Serato did not find my issue. I had to do it manually with an outside tag editor. Just scanning the files was not enough.

I can see your point with CD rips though. If you didn't tag any fields yourself, then you shouldn't have a problem. It is worth checking though... who knows what might have gotten screwed up!?!
deejayfatcat 5:07 PM - 5 December, 2018
I often find that when a file is corrupt in Serato, I can go in iTunes, clean up the tagging data and it is no longer corrupt. I now make a practice as I add new songs to my iTunes library. Make sure you go through all the columns.