DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Al's Cerwin Vega CVE-10 active speaker review

Al Poulin 3:27 AM - 3 December, 2018
Hey boys and girls,

Another review for you! This time I had fun testing Cerwin Vega's CVE-10 active speaker AND comparing it to my RCF Art 310As as well as DXR8s. While not quite as smooth sounding in the mids and top end as either the RCF of Yamaha, the CV can certainly hold its own output wise and the effective processing (and no limit light) make them virtually idiot proof. Keep sending them signal and they get louder and louder as the box gets gradually high passed up to (from what I hear) 100hz or so - even without the user touching a single button. Clever and effective although very audible, especially if you're using them full range :) Interesting and great for beginners and even regular DJs and sound guys looking for a clean looking lightweight monitor or FOH for smaller gigs. They really deliver the SPL.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Al
dj_soo 5:24 AM - 3 December, 2018
Nice. I’m actually a fan of the new CV stuff - at least their subs.

I grabbed a pair of the CV CVX18S for cheap subs and I’m pretty happy with them. Some nice low end extension, good output and great sound quality for the price. I’d put them more in line with the EV EKX18SP than the KW181, but they go lower than both of those.

I haven’t used the tops tho and just pair them with my DXR10s.
Al Poulin 5:27 PM - 4 December, 2018
I wasn't too sure at first (it's not the same old CV from the '80s/'90s), but when my dealer told me that they are now distributed by Yorkville, at least that was good to hear. The low end on these 10s is great at low levels, but they made me think a whole lot about the Yorkville Parasource tops in the way their processing works. With the CVs, it was VERY audible as soon as the low end was cut to let the speaker get louder and even more so at very high levels when I could hear another cut - almost sounding as if a 100hz HP had been activated. All in all, though very loud - easy to use - and almost idiot proof :) Sound quality was very good once I dialed down the 2k and 4k a little, but did not have the smooth mids and highs found in my RCFS and Yamahas...

Al
dj_soo 7:44 AM - 5 December, 2018
actually, after doing a gig with both subs tonight, there's one thing I remember really disliking about the subs - the fact that they "walk" all over. Literally have to keep moving them back to position every hour when things got loud.

I need to figure out how to put some higher quality rubber feet on these things.
DJ Reflex 8:14 AM - 5 December, 2018
^^ Super glue ^^