DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is my QSC 2402 Amp Good Enough For Mackie C300Z, or JBL Eon 1500?

DJLorrence 5:06 AM - 27 June, 2006
Hi SSL users!!!

I got a QSC 2402 Amp...will this shit be powerful enough for the Mackie C300 , or the JBL Eon 1500?

these two models are the passive version...but i would like to save a bills by getting the passive ones and powering them through my amp...is this a good idea?

Will this sound worse then to save then buy two of the active models?

Please EXP DJ's lemme know...im sick of carrying these monster 125 pound 4 1/2 foot speakers.
DJLorrence 5:07 AM - 27 June, 2006
Oh yes, i want to my amp, power 2 of the speakers.
DjWoody 6:53 AM - 27 June, 2006
Oh yeah!!! hahaha you should have no problem what so ever.

Your amp's rating (power) is 425 Watts (Per Channel) @ 8ohms, 700W @ 4 Ohms, and 1200W @ 2 Ohms.

The JBL Eon is 225 Watts @ 8 Ohms and the Mackie is 300 Watts.

That means you can run about 4 of each (2 on each channel) and you should still be fine.

Hehehehe. You have a REAL POWERFUL AMP!!!! I love it! Just be careful and don't blow your speakers.
OG Supernatural 6:58 AM - 27 June, 2006
Dude... go with the active speakers.

Sell the QSC or hold on to it and get a passive sub later on for those large gigs that need that extra bang.
DJLorrence 7:09 AM - 27 June, 2006
i know randy, i just tried calling you. i knew you would tell me that....but they['re so much cheaper!!!
DJ Unique 7:09 AM - 27 June, 2006
Hey Lorrence,

The QSC PLX 2402 puts out 425 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
www.qscaudio.com

The Mackie C300z can handle 300 watts RMS and 750 peak
www.mackie.com

The JBL EON 1500 can handle 225 watts RMS and 900 peak
www.jblpro.com

Technically both speakers should be fine as long as you run them full way without a crossover. If you use a crossover don't run full power on either of these speakers. The QSC PLX 2402 is a very clean sounding amp so there should not be any problems running up the juice. Make sure that on the back of the amp you have the "Clip Limiter" setting on, just in case.

Based on the specs, I think I would lean more with the Mackies though. I have not used the Mackies but my friend has some EON 1500's and the sound tends to get mushy when driven loud.

I do own the QSC PLX 2402 and I love that amp.
DJ Unique 7:11 AM - 27 June, 2006
Damn Woody you beat me with the answer.
DJLorrence 7:13 AM - 27 June, 2006
Unique, your in sylmar....your right next to me! hey, so yeah, what settings do you have in the back of 2402?

what do you power with 2402?

so is crossover nessecary?

what does "full way" mean.
DJLorrence 7:14 AM - 27 June, 2006
wood y ou got he 3402! and tha mac book, fuck this, im gonna eat ice cream.
Dj KaGeN 7:29 AM - 27 June, 2006
L - in your case - you will not need a crossover since you are using speakers that can handle the full range of sound - they actually have built in crossovers so you do not need to worry about anything except blowing'm up.
DJ Unique 7:33 AM - 27 June, 2006
I use the 2402 to power 4 Ramsa speakers, which I usually run as mid + highs.
www.locationsound.com

Since I also run bass bottoms, I separate the signal with a DBX Driverack (crossover), so that my highs don't get to much low signal. This way my highs will run more efficiently and a lot cleaner than full way.

Settings are as follows
Clip Limiter 1 & 10 = ON
Filter 2 & 9 = ON
30hz Filter 3 & 8 = ON
Parralels 4,5,6 = OFF
Bridge Mono 7 = OFF

A crossover is only necessary if you are are using bass bottoms. Most small to medium parties will not need bass bottoms.

Previously I was using a PLX 1602 in bridge mode to run 2 Cerwin Vega SL36's. Those damn speakers are too damn heavy so I am now using a Crown XS900 to power 2 JBL MP418S bass cubes. They are much lighter. I still have the Vegas just taking up space. Actually all my speakers are taking up space since I don't do much mobile work any more. The club I work has a difficult time finding replacement DJ's when I'm out. Very finicky South-American crowd.
DJLorrence 7:42 AM - 27 June, 2006
hm, you know a place that repairs speakers?
DJ Unique 7:45 AM - 27 June, 2006
Cosmos on Hollywood & Gower.
I think their # is 323-957-1200.

Astros on San Fernando & Western.
DJLorrence 8:17 AM - 27 June, 2006
ah your the man.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 3:01 PM - 27 June, 2006
Quote:
Dude... go with the active speakers.

Sell the QSC or hold on to it and get a passive sub later on for those large gigs that need that extra bang.

bro L-Dog, listen to tha man. I too am going with what Supernatural reccommends...recommends...reco, (dang it)...u know, take his advice..advise..advi, (sh!t we need a spell checker)....

u are already in tha 4 to 5 hundred price range (for brand new passives)... a few more gigs will put u over the hump and soon u will be able to rock actives. and when its time to bang big gigs, break out your hibernating qsc 2402 & just rent a single 18" passive earthquake or just drag them eliminators along for tha ride for sound support.

actives frees up extra wiring u no longer need to do. one less thing to power up. one less thing to load, unload, set-up at gig, then load to unload to store at home. one less thing that'll go wrong. one less thing to forget at tha gig (remember :) --> www.scratchlive.net
DJLorrence 7:19 PM - 27 June, 2006
LOL. yeah.