DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mobile DJ Sub Upgrade Options from EV ETX

mityfang 5:10 PM - 21 November, 2018
Hi, this is one of my first post on Serato but I've been a member for a while and have been DJing for a few years. I've searched for some insight on differences between subs on multiple forums, including this one, but feel my question is more nuanced and thought I'd make a post since it might help others in my situation as well.

A little background:
I currently do most of my gigs for college student events at the University of Minnesota. I DJ dances and run live sound for performances and speeches most of the time. Event attendance range from 100-600 people. The largest dance that I did last year had a total attendance of 800 with around 400-500 people at it's peak. The room was about 80 feet high and very wide but the dance floor was in the center.

Right now I have 2 ETX 15p, 2 ETX 18sp, and 4 ZLX 12p. I use my 15p tops for most smaller events from 100-200 people and some medium size events that only require live sound performances. I'll bring the subs for any dances regardless of size and for larger venues. My ZLX 12p are used as monitors and sometimes fill. Unfortunately for the GALA DanceI did last year I felt like the subs couldn't keep up with large room and didn't have enough impact for the 500 people. So here's my question:

Main question:
How should I upgrade from or add onto 2 ETX 18sp?

Options: JBL VRX 918, JBL SRX 828, RCF 8004, RC 8005, or more ETX 18sp.

1. I've heard a lot good things about the VRX 918sp and it being a smaller form factor sub, however, does it actually perform significantly better than my ETX (i.e. does it get noticeably louder)? Weight and size aren't an issue because I am in the process of getting a 5x8 trailler that I'll wheel my equipment into and out of. 4 VRX vs. 4 ETX?

2. Are the SRX 828 dual subs going to give me more output than my ETX right now? Simple physics tells me that 1 SRX 828 will outperform 1 ETX 18sp but not sure how this plays out in reality. I've heard the SRX 828 at live events and they hit hard but I feel my ETX hit hard as well. Any advantages of SRX line vs VRX?

3. I really like the RCF but they're double the price of ETX and harder to find on the used market. Is this the actual upgrade to my speaker line? If I sell my ETX I'll probably pick up 2 8004 subs or 1 8006 sub. Will this power my dances with 500 plus people?

4. What if I just added 2-4 more ETX 18sp? They're for a good price used right now and I think 4 ETX 18sp would suffice.

Not sure if solving my issue is adding more mid tier subs (ETX, SRX) or selling them and investing in a high tier subs (RCF 8004/8006 vs VRX). I'd like to retain good sound quality because I do run live sound as well but really want bigger bass hits and headroom for larger venues. Prices is always a concern, however, I can save the money and make the investment in the next few months. Again, portability isn't that great of an issue if it can fit in my trailer and I can wheel it around, however, I would prefer the subs not get much larger than the ETX 18sp unless it's a dual sub because I'm still trying to be mobile and I'm usually the only person setting up. No tour grade stuff that takes a team. What are your thoughts with my current setup?

Here's a link to picture of my current setup from the GALA last year. drive.google.com
Chino 6:05 PM - 21 November, 2018
Quote:
How should I upgrade from or add onto 2 ETX 18sp?

Adding 2 more ETXsp subs would probably be the easiest solution. Try lining up all four subs in a row right in front of the dance floor. This will give you greater impact(thump).

Subs are omni direction but careful positioning (stacking) will give you greater impact overall.
Rebelguy 9:04 PM - 21 November, 2018
All the options you mentioned, with the exception of the 8004, would be a lateral move. The 828s are great boxes but one of my friends has been having issues with amp units on a few of his units.
DJ Reflex 9:34 AM - 22 November, 2018
Bassboss all the way!!! I just out performed 4 dual 18's with two single SSP118 subs. There were two rooms going at the club. I set one up and a pro sound company set up the other. People were telling me all night how much better my room sounded - and the bass was tight and punchy.

Expensive though. :(
mityfang 5:01 PM - 22 November, 2018
So I guess if I'm planning/anticipating on scaling up in size of events I'll probabaly need to invest into something like the rcf or bassboss. But for now with under 800 audience for a dance, 4 etx subs would suffice. I'm sure the rcf subs (8004 and 8006) are better, im just not sure by how much and if it's worth twice the price (or four times the price since I can pick up etx 18sp for 1k right now). My 2 etc right now are good for most events, just wanted some more power for the largest of events I do. I'm wondering now if 1 8006 sub or bassboss ssp218 comparable or louder than 2 etx 18sp?
dj_soo 6:01 PM - 22 November, 2018
I think even with 4, 800 people might be pushing it depending on the type of events you do.

You could also look at he yorkville ES18P subs. Probably the loudest sub in that price range.
577er 6:02 AM - 23 November, 2018
I’m an RCF fan but I’d say if you can rent additnal ETX subs when you need them that’s the best option, otherwise the yorkville ES18p are going to have the most impact for the money for sure.
mityfang 9:58 PM - 23 November, 2018
Damn. I guess I brought the wrong subs for DJing. I called up all the local retailers here and none of them rent out ETX subs :(. They all carry KW181s though and one of them rents out the ES18p so maybe I"ll just rent a few of those and tack that onto my prices for now. I'm really into clean powerful bass and wouldn't mind getting more ETX but if even 4 might not be enough for a dance of 500-600 then I might just sell them in the coming months and eventually scale up to an RCF or equivalent.

Also, on a side note: what's your experiences with mixing different brand subs? Any issues to look out for or advice on placement? Ideally I'd like to keep the ETX and add to my lineup but this also applies with renting I guess since there are no carriers that rent ETX subs in my area.
Rebelguy 10:07 PM - 23 November, 2018
Quote:
Damn. I guess I brought the wrong subs for DJing. I called up all the local retailers here and none of them rent out ETX subs :(. They all carry KW181s though and one of them rents out the ES18p so maybe I"ll just rent a few of those and tack that onto my prices for now. I'm really into clean powerful bass and wouldn't mind getting more ETX but if even 4 might not be enough for a dance of 500-600 then I might just sell them in the coming months and eventually scale up to an RCF or equivalent.

Also, on a side note: what's your experiences with mixing different brand subs? Any issues to look out for or advice on placement? Ideally I'd like to keep the ETX and add to my lineup but this also applies with renting I guess since there are no carriers that rent ETX subs in my area.

I saw in your profile you are from Minnesota. I find it bizarre that no one has the ETX for rent as their headquarters are based in Minnesota.
mityfang 10:22 PM - 23 November, 2018
Yeah it's weird. Guitar Center, Metro Sound and Lighting, EMI Audio all don't rent any. Just called them up the other day. They rent the EKX 18sp but not the ETX. Most mobile DJ's I know around here don't use any subs at all and the few that I know who do use them use the KW181 or sometimes an EKX. I guess with the cold weather here most DJ's can't justify lugging around something as big as an ETX. On the flip side there are some ETX 18sp used selling here for right around a thousand or sometimes less so it's not too much of an investment to get another one.
577er 11:19 PM - 23 November, 2018
I’ve heard mixed subs that sound great. Other swear it’s impossible. 😆
dj_soo 12:39 AM - 24 November, 2018
I think 4 ETX would be just about right for 400-500 depending on the gig, but any more and it might struggle a bit.

The ES18P probably puts out the equivalent of 2 ETX subs in volume, but don't go nearly as low as the ETX. And while the sound quality is head and shoulders above the old LS801P, I still think the ETX18SP sounds better. The SRX828 would probably be the affordable option for depth, sound quality and output - or if you want to step up, then the RCF or Bassboss or maybe orbit shifters or danely subs.
dj_soo 12:42 AM - 24 November, 2018
I've had mixed subs sound good, and other times felt like it was so bad that I should have just stuck with less subs in the same brand - really depends on the brands, the room, and the placement.
dj_soo 3:12 AM - 24 November, 2018
Maybe some of these? jtrspeakers.com
mityfang 8:59 PM - 29 November, 2018
Note taken, I'm not gonna try and mix subs. I'm leaning towards just picking up a total fo 4-8 ETX subs for gigs between 100-1000 people. Everyone says the RCF or JTR are a step above sub like the ETX and I'm wondering how much better it really is? does it have significantly better output or clarity? I feel like for 500 people I'd still need 4 RCF 8004 for example which kinda defeats the purpose of getting the sub over ETX subs.
577er 11:11 PM - 29 November, 2018
the only sub in the price range you’re looking at that will be noticeabley louder are the Yorkville ES18p. According to the specs It’s about 7dB louder than the ETX safety assuming the ETX peak output is 6dB over what it can sustain. So you’d be looking something like 3 ETX to one ES18P in terms of output. When you start to consider cost, logistics of transit and storage and most importantly electrical supply at most venues you can see if volume is what you need the yorkville are unbeatable. 2 yorkville to 6 ETX... The ETX will go much deeper but will never get as loud before you run out of power at most venues. I’d consider taking a listen to the Yorkville in person and re-evaluating your setup. Is your current set up really “not loud enough” or do you “just want more”.
577er 11:17 PM - 29 November, 2018
Just checked the ES18p is 5 dB not 6 over the ETX but still... that’s a huge difference
dj_soo 12:01 AM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Note taken, I'm not gonna try and mix subs. I'm leaning towards just picking up a total fo 4-8 ETX subs for gigs between 100-1000 people. Everyone says the RCF or JTR are a step above sub like the ETX and I'm wondering how much better it really is? does it have significantly better output or clarity? I feel like for 500 people I'd still need 4 RCF 8004 for example which kinda defeats the purpose of getting the sub over ETX subs.

Everything I've read, the JTRs are definitely a huge step above - especially if you're looking at Orbit Shifters. The 8004 doesn't seem that much of step up specwise, although people rate them highly. Costwise tho, it doesn't seem as worth it for what they list.

Granted, I've had no experience with either and am just going by what others have said.

I have had experience with the Yorkvilles tho and they are the truth - especially the newer ES18Ps. 4 of those should handle 800ish no problem for most events. And due to the horn loaded design, they should project a lot further than most front loaded offerings. The big minus is going to be depth, but you should be able to get a couple more hz out of the listed response by coupling them.
pdidy 12:11 AM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Everyone says the RCF or JTR is a step above sub like the ETX and I'm wondering how much better it really is? does it have significantly better output or clarity?

If you were to take any of the most popular single 18" subs used by DJ's like.....
QSC KW181
JBL SRX818sp
JBL VRX918sp
EV ETX 18sp

It would take 2 of the above subs to equal the output of 1 high-end single 18" subs like........
BASSBOSS SSP118
RCF SUB 8004-AS
JTR Captivator 118PRO

It would take approx. 4 of the above DJ subs (QSC KW181JBL SRX818sp
JBL VRX918sp EV ETX 18sp) to equal the output of 1 high-end double or single 18" subs like........
BASSBOSS SSP218
JTR Captivator 218PRO
Orbit Shifter Pro
Danley TH118

But even when equal output is achieved with the DJ level subs, sound quality will still be noticeably superior with the high-end subs.
mityfang 7:33 PM - 5 February, 2019
Just wanted to update and conclude my situation. I ended up finding 2 EV ETX 18sp subs to borrow and ran 4 of them with my 15 tops. The bass was powerful and hit really hard. You could feel it vibrating your chess when a meter jor two away. I was impressed. The dance had about 600 people this year and I felt like the subs did very well for this crowd in an indoor space. I guess my most cost effective move would be to pick up two more used so I can have 4 at all my medium to larger events or if I'm running sound outdoors. As of now I'm not too worried about mobility because I also just picked up a 6x10 trailer to haul all my equipment in so it's made my life that much easier. Thank you everyone for your input. I've really appreciated the advice and am glad you all are willing to help. Maybe when I make more money I'll consider getting a JTR Orbit Shifter or a Danley.

Here's a photo from the setup the other night. drive.google.com
DJ Reflex 11:22 PM - 5 February, 2019
^^ Nice ^^