Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Very Low Output on SL4 with Serato Pro or Scratch

Ghostwhip 6:13 AM - 18 November, 2018
I was playing yesterday with exactly same settings in Serato DJ and all was good.

Today, extremely faint volume, not even registering on the Rane 56 LEDs.

Yes the master is up in Serato DJ as well as the individual track gains.

Troubleshooting: I tested playing vinyl Thru the SL4 and it is same output level into the mixer.

To ensure it's not the mixer I hooked up turntable directly to mixer and played vinyl and everything is as it should.

Fired up Scratch Live and same thing.

* Should be noted that SL4 crashed my computer couple of times today. I switched the USB cable and it stopped crashing. I'm starting to wonder if it shorted it out and zapped the SL4 into a useless piece of plastic.

Any insight would be obliged!
RR437T 2:53 PM - 18 November, 2018
Since you know there's nothing wrong with your turntables, the problem is almost certainly with the SL4. The only real question is if its broken or not setup properly. I don't have one myself, but looking at a pic of one, you'll see a row of dip switches right below the ground post. If either of your 2 turntables have their corresponding dip switches set to CD, it will cause the very low output you are experiencing. Also, make sure you try all 4 inputs. If the unit is broken, you may get lucky and have only a partial failure.

It was foolish of Rane to put those switches right below the ground, and right next to the usb ports. Eventually, you are going to hit them by accident.
Ghostwhip 9:10 PM - 18 November, 2018
Thanks for the reply,

To clarify it is low output volume not input. The dip switches only adjust the input impedance which would affect tracking not the output volume.

But yeah.. I had those things set to the wrong dip switch settings for like an entire year and couldn't figure out why my tracking circles were so tiny lol.
Mr. Goodkat 2:39 AM - 19 November, 2018
the switches do/will affect output
Ghostwhip 3:56 AM - 19 November, 2018
No they absolutely don't. Does switching from internal to relative switch the output volume? Think about what you're saying, the Input gain doesn't make it's way through the software nor does it affect the track level.

From the SL4 manual:

2.Input Level Selection
Set each input to the correct input level using the dip
switches. Set the switches UP for Phono (turntables) or
DOWN for CD decks (line level).

INPUT level
Ghostwhip 4:29 AM - 19 November, 2018
Also does adjusting the deck gain/balance in setup affect the track volume or output? Nope. That's why it's hilarious when serato DJs are taking about needles saying they like such and such cause they're "loud". That's irrelevant with software, it's just louder input tracking.

Anyways, peace out Serato. Been using since SL1. It's been fun, but on to different DVS software that is literally free and just as good (rhymes with leopard fox). No longer will have to pay to unlock a mixer for DVS, or unlock Serato Pro blah blah. Trusting InMusic will have our best interests at heart is a bit of a worry too.
Mr. Goodkat 6:39 AM - 19 November, 2018
the dip switches are phono preamps. run a line signal thru a phono preamp and it will distort.

that is the output.

dont get mad, just be informed
Mr. Goodkat 6:47 AM - 19 November, 2018
i dig footwork and philthtrax is a good label, they really picked up the quality over the last couple years. i have a bass/footwork/electro(real electro) nite, if you get to TX hit me up
RR437T 11:28 AM - 19 November, 2018
Quote:
the dip switches are phono preamps. run a line signal thru a phono preamp and it will distort.

that is the output.

He's right. I just checked to be sure. Those inputs are phono preamps, and the proof is that you are able to play a record. Even if you think you're 100% right, check again. A phono preamp is a very specific device that must be present at the very beginning of the playback chain, and there's absolutely no exceptions to the rule. Also, you can't use 2 of them. You can't use the one in your sl4, and then the one in your mixer. That will destroy the way it sounds.

"That's why it's hilarious when serato DJs are taking about needles saying they like such and such cause they're "loud". That's irrelevant with software, it's just louder input tracking.
"
That's actually true. The most basic measurement/spec of a phono cart is output voltage measured in MV. DJ specific carts, generally speaking, are the highest output you can get. Normal HO carts usually start around 2-3mv, and for dj use 7-10mv. So, while it is a fixed number that's usually not adjustable, you do need to match the cart to the phono amp. If you've ever seen a button labeled MM/MC, that's a gain adjustment. It allows you the extra gain needed to use LOMC's that start at .01-.02mv.
DJ JulioYEG 5:47 PM - 19 November, 2018
the dis switches phono and line, since you wanna use analogies does swicthing the mixer to line on your mixer change volume? dont get mad at the people trying to help you. I get its frusterating but dont get upset.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 9:35 PM - 19 November, 2018
Why not just purchase a Rane 72? That will solve your problems.
17tr2 10:02 PM - 19 November, 2018
Quote:

What's a Rane 72?
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 11:00 PM - 19 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

What's a Rane 72?

Its the crem-de-la-crem Haute Monde of Mixers, the KING!
577er 2:26 AM - 21 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

What's a Rane 72?

It’s a mid priced 2 channel mixer with a screen and 2 serato sound cards. it’s not going to help your Sl4 issue however.
DJ JulioYEG 5:38 PM - 21 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What's a Rane 72?

It’s a mid priced 2 channel mixer with a screen and 2 serato sound cards. it’s not going to help your Sl4 issue however.

mid-priced lol what try the top of the top. its shy of the djm 900 nxs 2 by $300 and the most expensive dvs mixer on the market. Not sure if you noticed but he has a 72 in his dp lol pretty sure he owns one too.
577er 11:48 PM - 23 November, 2018
When I think of expensive mixers I think of E&S, ARS and Formula One analogue mixers that actually sound amazing.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 4:36 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
When I think of expensive mixers I think of E&S, ARS and Formula One analogue mixers that actually sound amazing.

No you don't, you couldn't fathom placing your grubby little hands on any of the aforementioned units. Let alone a Rane 72, which blows every 2 channel out of the water hands down no questions asked. I suppose its hard to imagine the glory of owning a Rane 72 when your day to day job pays peasant wages eh?
577er 6:01 PM - 26 November, 2018
Lol someone’s off their meds.
17tr2 6:17 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

No you don't, you couldn't fathom placing your grubby little hands on any of the aforementioned units. Let alone a Rane 72, which blows every 2 channel out of the water hands down no questions asked. I suppose its hard to imagine the glory of owning a Rane 72 when your day to day job pays peasant wages eh?

I don't think you can make a successful argument for the 72 as the best 2 channel mixer. If you're looking for the best 2 channel mixer with a controller section for Serato, the 72 is probably the best one. If you are just talking about the mixer section, then its not even close. On the most basic level, the parts cost alone on some of the high end mixers will exceed the price of the 72. While it may seem expensive, for a retail price of 2k, you can only do so much. Even Rane makes better mixers than the 72.

I just want to be clear in that I'm not bashing the Rane 72 in any way. Not only is it a great product, its actually one of the best deals out there. Rane gives you a lot for your money. While not cheap, if the average person really wants one, they can somehow make it work.
Mr. Goodkat 7:50 PM - 26 November, 2018
he works for rane/inmusic and has been trolling the forum for the last 6-9 months - pay him no mind
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 7:51 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
he works for rane/inmusic and has been trolling the forum for the last 6-9 months - pay him no mind

This
Mr. Goodkat 8:58 PM - 28 November, 2018
@ghostwhip the new posse up! vibe is thick!!!!!!!
Matt Sherman 10:12 PM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:

I've already reported him several times!
popnwave 11:20 PM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

He does't work for anyone, but yes he trolls hard and loves to lie about the silliest stuff.
Matt Sherman 11:39 PM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He does't work for anyone, but yes he trolls hard and loves to lie about the silliest stuff.

Hopefully Serato will TOS him! It's a big turn off to new members as myself.
Culprit 4:40 AM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

TOS + IP Ban to be honest
Matt Sherman 5:32 AM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I suggest everyone else report him as well. The more the better!
Matt Sherman 5:38 AM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haven't seen him in many hours so maybe he's gone hopefully!

TurtleFaceBrownNoser 4:18 PM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haven't seen him in many hours so maybe he's gone hopefully!

The more the merrier right guys? Happy Holidays! Decorate YOUR Christmas with joy!
Matt Sherman 11:53 PM - 30 November, 2018
I just sent Serato a email!
Matt Sherman 11:54 PM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just sent Serato a email concerning him!
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 11:58 PM - 30 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just sent Serato a email concerning him!

Wow sweet, there's the holiday spirit!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:14 PM - 2 December, 2018
Hi TurtleFaceBrownNoser/Aptidda

When you signed up again under this new account, we gave you the benefit of the doubt and allowed you to post in the forum again. Having a look through your recent posts though, I can see that you are following the same old tired playbook of personal insults and inflammatory misinformation.

For this reason, we are banning you again and won't be so lenient the next time we see you pop up. Please find some other area of the internet to get your kicks in.

Cheers, Aaron
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:36 PM - 2 December, 2018
The rane 72 has a message for you Aptidda,

streamable.com

and now serato hate you too, time to sell up and go promote traktor
Matt Sherman 3:31 AM - 3 December, 2018
I told TurtleFace I was going to email Serato about him trolling. You reap what you sow!
Matt Sherman 3:33 AM - 3 December, 2018
Quote:
Hi TurtleFaceBrownNoser/Aptidda

When you signed up again under this new account, we gave you the benefit of the doubt and allowed you to post in the forum again. Having a look through your recent posts though, I can see that you are following the same old tired playbook of personal insults and inflammatory misinformation.

For this reason, we are banning you again and won't be so lenient the next time we see you pop up. Please find some other area of the internet to get your kicks in.

Cheers, Aaron

Aaron, do you all have the capability to do a IP ban so they can't constantly just rejoin?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:41 AM - 3 December, 2018
Quote:
Aaron, do you all have the capability to do a IP ban so they can't constantly just rejoin?

Hi Matt

Thanks for bringing him to my attention again - I hadn't quite realised he'd sunk back to this low level.

I have taken an extra technical step this time so we'll hopefully have a little break. At this stage, we aren't able to completely prevent him from signing up again, but we'll be sure to keep an eye out.

Please feel free to let us know if you think you spot him again.

Cheers
DJ JulioYEG 12:18 AM - 4 December, 2018
lol whos this matt guy ahahahahahhahahah he thinks hes the new sheriff in town eh
popnwave 1:04 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
lol whos this matt guy ahahahahahhahahah he thinks hes the new sheriff in town eh

Nah, he was just the one saying publicly what I was doing via PMs.
Matt Sherman 3:52 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:

I don't even know you. What's your deal? Guys it appears we got another TROLL!
DJ JulioYEG 3:54 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

yeah im the biggest troll ever!!!!!! lol idiot
Matt Sherman 3:57 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah im the biggest troll ever!!!!!! lol idiot[/q

You appear to be stalking me and have a man crush man on me!
DJ JulioYEG 3:59 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mcm bro ;) come and see me under my bridge !
Matt Sherman 4:01 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's okay you will end up like TurtleFace eventually with your trolling :-)
DJ JulioYEG 4:03 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you probably look like a turtle face w ur no avi profile lol keep comin with your weak insults bum
DJ JulioYEG 4:05 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

your the kinda guy who gets cyberbullied and doesn't realize you can just press the lil x at the top of your screen LOL. You sound like a lil girl. go sit in your high chair now <3
Matt Sherman 4:08 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

your the kinda guy who gets cyberbullied and doesn't realize you can just press the lil x at the top of your screen LOL. You sound like a lil girl. go sit in your high chair now <3

Thanks for that comment. Your case is getting stronger!
DJ JulioYEG 4:09 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ahahahahahahahhaahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahah go find something else to complain about
DJ JulioYEG 4:10 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i rlly wish i knew who u were instead of hiding behind a lil anon profile dj pyro!! you wanna talk pm me big boss
Serato, Support
Aaron E 4:14 AM - 4 December, 2018
C'mon guys, really?

TurtleFaceBrownNoser / Aptidda has been a legitimate annoyance all over this forum for some time, and needed to be removed.

You two are just being silly. Please stop now and go make some music or something :)
Matt Sherman 4:16 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i rlly wish i knew who u were instead of hiding behind a lil anon profile dj pyro!! you wanna talk pm me big boss

I don't want to talk to you. I don't even know you and you appear to be stalking my every post. It's ok because it's actions like that that got Turtle kicked off. Do you want to join him?
Matt Sherman 4:17 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
C'mon guys, really?

TurtleFaceBrownNoser / Aptidda has been a legitimate annoyance all over this forum for some time, and needed to be removed.

You two are just being silly. Please stop now and go make some music or something :)

Aaron as you can see this guy just came out of no where and started trolling me. I don't know what his deal is!?
DJ JulioYEG 4:20 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
C'mon guys, really?

Aaron as you can see this guy just came out of no where and started trolling me. I don't know what his deal is!?

your new to the forums, get off your high horse and have some respect when you talk to people. You got none cause you have none. what goes around comes aorund. quit running away from your problems and complaing says alot about who you are as a person should i say woman. anyways nuff said
DJ JulioYEG 4:21 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
C'mon guys, really?

also stop playing victim i get its 2018 and thats the trend but maybe keep that for your personal life :-)
Matt Sherman 4:24 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
C'mon guys, really?

also stop playing victim i get its 2018 and thats the trend but maybe keep that for your personal life :-)

It's ok it's all documented so Aaron can see who sought out who.
DJ JulioYEG 4:24 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
C'mon guys, really?

thats fine keep playing victim like i said
Matt Sherman 4:59 AM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
C'mon guys, really?

thats fine keep playing victim like i said

Victim? I did the whole community a favor by letting Aaron know about Turtle's trolling so you should be thanking me. I never said anything to you and you just started trolling/attacking me out of nowhere. GROW UP!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 6:12 AM - 4 December, 2018
Okay, let's consider this done please. Time to chill.

Thanks
Culprit 5:07 PM - 4 December, 2018
Quote:
Okay, let's consider this done please. Time to chill.

Thanks

Agreed
Ghostwhip 1:39 AM - 16 December, 2018
Quote:
i dig footwork and philthtrax is a good label, they really picked up the quality over the last couple years. i have a bass/footwork/electro(real electro) nite, if you get to TX hit me up

Cheers and thanks, appreciate the feedback! Apologies for being rude, I was having a bad day and the shorted SL4 just put me over the edge.

Quote:
Quote:

that is the output.

He's right. I just checked to be sure. Those inputs are phono preamps, and the proof is that you are able to play a record. Even if you think you're 100% right, check again. A phono preamp is a very specific device that must be present at the very beginning of the playback chain, and there's absolutely no exceptions to the rule. Also, you can't use 2 of them. You can't use the one in your sl4, and then the one in your mixer. That will destroy the way it sounds.

Appreciate the response. Yeah can't have 2 phono dips in series like you said. I wish the issue was just some dip switches lol. Still no dice on this SL4. I searched for schematic but came up short. I would assume a line level amp at the output stage is fried or something. Just heard Traktor talk about how they added more headroom to their newest controller by taking down the internal level and adding a amplifier at the end of the chain, maybe this is similar and maybe that's what's ferked?

Either way, I spend most of time producing and running a label. When it comes to DJing, shit just needs to work and Serato has not been that for me last couple of years. Too many surprises really, finally forcing me to completely rethiink the setup. Lots of cool options out there, even for an oldschool vinyl head like me. The convenience of standalone TT-like controllerism when no TTs are around but without licensing/subscription/paid efx, etc. It appears this actually exists but not here. That said, a janky usb can fry anything, which appears was the case here.
Mr. Goodkat 7:26 PM - 16 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers and thanks, appreciate the feedback! Apologies for being rude, I was having a bad day and the shorted SL4 just put me over the edge.

Quote:
Quote:

that is the output.

Appreciate the response. Yeah can't have 2 phono dips in series like you said. I wish the issue was just some dip switches lol. Still no dice on this SL4. I searched for schematic but came up short. I would assume a line level amp at the output stage is fried or something. Just heard Traktor talk about how they added more headroom to their newest controller by taking down the internal level and adding a amplifier at the end of the chain, maybe this is similar and maybe that's what's ferked?

Either way, I spend most of time producing and running a label. When it comes to DJing, shit just needs to work and Serato has not been that for me last couple of years. Too many surprises really, finally forcing me to completely rethiink the setup. Lots of cool options out there, even for an oldschool vinyl head like me. The convenience of standalone TT-like controllerism when no TTs are around but without licensing/subscription/paid efx, etc. It appears this actually exists but not here. That said, a janky usb can fry anything, which appears was the case here.

no prob, we just booked dj taye for our xmas party!