DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Turntable Issues

Dj Classic One 11:32 PM - 14 November, 2018
Having problem scratching and backspinning because records feels stiff, tried new slip mats, and new records, but seem to be still very stiff !!
spike12 11:55 PM - 14 November, 2018
What kind of slip mats?
Dj Classic One 11:59 PM - 14 November, 2018
1 pair of Butterrugs and 1 pair of Dr. Suzuki Slipmats
spike12 12:01 AM - 15 November, 2018
does the record or slip mat spin around the spindle without rubbing too much? I've usually come across the opposite, where the record spins too fast.. usually cause its warped..
Dj Classic One 5:26 AM - 15 November, 2018
not at all, its hard to just spin it !!
17tr2 6:01 PM - 15 November, 2018
You need to lube your main bearing (spindle bearing). If that doesn't work, you may have to check your motor (I'm assuming you're using a DD TT).
Robejz 6:05 PM - 15 November, 2018
Sorry to ask the obvious (I can't see if you're a new DJ or not) but you haven't got the thick rubber mat on the platter, have you?
Ollie 7:10 PM - 15 November, 2018
flip the vinyl over and see if it's easier to spin it on side over the other. Probably a warped record
spike12 11:22 PM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
Sorry to ask the obvious (I can't see if you're a new DJ or not) but you haven't got the thick rubber mat on the platter, have you?

never overlook the obvious..
Dj Classic One 11:24 PM - 15 November, 2018
No thick rubber mat, ( threw them away) brand new record ( Super Seal ) but what I do notice is that there is a lot of static electricity flowing between the record and the slipmat so I was told to just add some wax paper on top of the slipmat and that should solve my problem ( don’t know how true that is, but I’m willing to try at this point, other than that I don’t understand because these are new 1200 technics turntables straight out the box and I shouldn’t be having this problem!!!
spike12 11:31 PM - 15 November, 2018
Do you have another working turntable set up to compare to?
novakone 12:12 AM - 16 November, 2018
Have you ever scratched before?
Dj Classic One 1:16 AM - 16 November, 2018
Yes I do, I’m experiencing the same issue on both turntables
deezlee 8:59 AM - 16 November, 2018
New in the box? Are they the refurb ones? Or real originals in the box (!?)
Either way that's dope.
17tr2 12:43 PM - 16 November, 2018
You should have said they were new. Pull the platters off and make sure you removed all the tape and stickers placed on them at the factory. If you missed any, that could definitely cause your problem.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 11:43 PM - 19 November, 2018
you have got to be kidding with this right?
RR437T 3:51 AM - 20 November, 2018
Quote:
you have got to be kidding with this right?

Me?
Dj Classic One 6:21 AM - 20 November, 2018
There is no tape or sticker on the platter or underneath it
Dj Classic One 6:29 AM - 20 November, 2018
Ordered both turntables from djhenraycustom.com so again, they are not new, just custom built 17tr2 !!
17tr2 12:54 PM - 20 November, 2018
Quote:
Ordered both turntables from djhenraycustom.com so again, they are not new, just custom built 17tr2 !!

When you say: "other than that I don’t understand because these are new 1200 technics turntables straight out the box and I shouldn’t be having this problem!!!", you can see why someone may think the TT's are new.

Since these TT's are custom built, would it be safe to assume you spoke to the people that sold them to you? If so, what did they say? If you include all the information you have, you may get more helpful answers.
Logisticalstyles 3:02 PM - 20 November, 2018
Quote:
I was told to just add some wax paper on top of the slipmat and that should solve my problem

The wax paper should go under the slipmat. The plastic sleeve that comes with some records would be a better choice but wax paper should work fine.

Since you mentioned that this is a custom TT, did they paint the platter as well? The type of paint used on the platter could also affect how the record spins as well.