DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Question about master attenuation

kmeex 6:19 PM - 14 November, 2018
Hi all! This might be an extremely stupid question so bear with me. I have DJ-808 and as many of you know it has very hot output especially when using balanced out. Manual says it's +6dBU. Unbalanced is 0dBU. When playing at home I use two active speakers (ESI Near08 classic). Since the output is so hot I can not turn active speakers up but only a little. Otherwise volume is ofcourse too loud. I run My tracks (lossless) through platinum notes so i have "more consistent" levels on My tracks. DJ-808 is a digital mixer so I assume it's master volume knob is only an attenuator. (Unity gain Mark is when turned max) right?
I can ofcourse attenuate master output something like -18dB but The question is: does this affects the resolution of a digital file? Read many topics where people say you get the full resolution only If track is coming as loud as technically is possible without clipping. Am I setup it wrong If I keep My master at Unity but turn down The speakers? With ESI The problem is that altough 808 is not clipping when applying say bass EQ, the speakers will distort (even low volume) because of too hot input signal. If I attenuate The master output, problem solved, but I wonder If this affects the way the resolution is meant to be?