DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What speakers are suitable for high school dances?

DJ NoNseNse 2:05 AM - 17 July, 2009
Im thinking of doing high school dances this coming year and was wondering what speakers are suitable for it. I was considering the tapco thumps but I heard those aren't good enough. Trying to keep it under $1000 if thats possible.
deezlee 2:10 AM - 17 July, 2009
get the clean versions though.
DJ NoNseNse 5:39 AM - 17 July, 2009
any others?
DJ NoNseNse 5:42 AM - 17 July, 2009
Quote:
JBL Eon's :)

which models are good?
lost vegas 5:50 AM - 17 July, 2009
Aren't most school dances held in the gym or lunch area? Will eons be able to fill such large rooms with good sound? I love eons myself but have never heard them in that large of a space.... Can anyone speak on this topic?
eder 7:08 AM - 17 July, 2009
lmao I've seen eons used as mains at high school dances and they overheated and shut down. You're not going to be able to get much at all for $1000, at most speakers good enough for 200-300 people MAX in a small room. If you're in a gym you're going to need to invest @ least $2k not to look like an idiot.
DJ NoNseNse 7:39 AM - 17 July, 2009
So im probably better off renting for a while then
BERTO 12:58 AM - 18 July, 2009
under a g peavey pr 15 d about 4 a piece mad nice, check them out i did a school dance no problem with them
DJ NoNseNse 1:07 AM - 18 July, 2009
Quote:
under a g peavey pr 15 d about 4 a piece mad nice, check them out i did a school dance no problem with them

anyone else use these?
latindj 5:52 AM - 18 July, 2009
Quote:

you can play a boom box in a gymnasium with no problem.....

the real question is, what do I need to fill a gymnasium properly with sound? And the answer is "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than 1K".
geeunot 10:03 AM - 18 July, 2009
4 mackies and a sub would be nice!
DJ GaFFle 11:19 AM - 18 July, 2009
Quote:

Nice for what? ... not a gym. That's not a balanced system (sound wise) especially for a gym. You need more subs.

I just did half a gym last night, they had a huge divider partition down the middle of the bball court. There were roughly 400-500 kids there. I had 2 QSC HPR 122i's and 2 QSC HPR 181i's (subs coupled together with the tops 10 ft. away to each side). The bass was not lacking, it was boomy and very adequate. I feel with 1 more sub, their pants legs would have really been feeling the bass. I'll probably rent one rather than buy it as I can't cost justify a $1300 sub that I'll only use sparingly.
eder 12:49 PM - 18 July, 2009
Quote:
I'll probably rent one rather than buy it as I can't cost justify a $1300 sub that I'll only use sparingly.

That's the reason why for anyone seriously looking to do mobile, I never recommend powered equipment. You get so much more versatility with passive speakers and amps when it comes to customizing every event for each client.

Quote:

-1. Not nice at all. The phase would be so off on the highs/mids that people most likely won't be able to hear the songs clearly. That and the fact you'll be paying an obscene amount of money for subpar gear. The only time I will use mackies/eons at a larger mobile gig is for a monitor.
DJDaveOtt 1:05 PM - 18 July, 2009
Quote:

must have been a kindergarten class party or something

these speakers blow...literally...

from www.americanmusical.com
Peavey PR15D Powered PA Speaker ....Featuring a bi-amped power section providing 150 watts power for the woofer and 50...

re-read that last line.

150 watts power for the woofer and 50 to the tweeter

if these will power a gym i will kiss your ass
flipmo8064 1:57 PM - 18 July, 2009
b 52 matrix 1000... good system for the price.
BERTO 6:27 PM - 18 July, 2009
check them out yourslef youll like
eder 10:20 PM - 18 July, 2009
Quote:

It's a good system if the gym is the size of a classroom.

Quote:
check them out yourslef youll like

Yeah....not so much...200w power TOTAL is enough for a PA system for announcements. For music? Not even close. Just for comparison, my small rig is 1100w and my largest rig gets 5 digits for wattage power.
BERTO 4:26 AM - 19 July, 2009
just came out im assuming the mackie version of the tapcos i know tapcos are mackies low end maybe these are replacing them i dunno www.pssl.com
DJ GaFFle 5:18 AM - 19 July, 2009
Quote:
just came out im assuming the mackie version of the tapcos i know tapcos are mackies low end maybe these are replacing them i dunno www.pssl.com

GOod find... THey got rid of the yellow handles. I kind of like them yellow but this is cool too. Not enuff for a gym though. Great for house sets and backyard events.
BERTO 7:06 PM - 19 July, 2009
yea they are not tapcos brand though i guess if people see that they say mackie they will buy them more likely
flipmo8064 10:22 PM - 21 July, 2009
Damn eder... you pretty much shot down everyones recommendations. He said he wanted to stay around $1000. Its a high school dance not a club.
eder 2:14 AM - 22 July, 2009
Quote:
Damn eder... you pretty much shot down everyones recommendations. He said he wanted to stay around $1000. Its a high school dance not a club.

LOL obviously you don't seriously do high school events. If you have 100-200, maybe 250 kids, you can get by with 2 speakers (preferably not powered my passive speakers are 500w each and the speaker/amp combo was $1200 compared to about 200-300w each for the active speakers in the same price range). But if you start doing 300+ kids, you need some SERIOUS sound reinforcement.

Nothing beats your vibe DJing better than having every kid in the school coming up to you asking you to turn it up. Plus, the ASB kids will complain to their adviser about the sound not being loud enough. If you want to get repeat business, you need to make sure that they can HEAR you well enough to get repeat business.

I'd like to buy a Land Rover brand new for $10k, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be able to get it. My bad for making sure he doesn't blow his $ on shit that won't get the job done.
DJ GaFFle 2:51 PM - 22 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

It's a good system if the gym is the size of a classroom.

LOL

He's not lying. The B52 matrix 1000 sounds great in a Guitar Center-sized showroom but in a gym with 100ft. ceilings, bleachers, and 100ft. in length... that system will embarrass you.

YOU go ahead and be THAT jackleg DJ with the underpowered system.
I've got 2 QSC 18" and 2 12" tops for my main system and I felt it was only acceptable for a half-partitioned sized gym. I'm gonna actually rent another QSC sub the next time I do the same event.
sixxx 3:02 PM - 22 July, 2009
I gotta back up eder and GaFFle on this one.
dj_craigmac 3:27 PM - 22 July, 2009
Look, here it is plain and simple. There is no "cheap" way to fill a HS gym with sound. Go rent yourself a BI-AMPED (not bi-sexual) system.
My personal preference is "oldschool" Cerwin-Vega EL-36 folded horns and pretty much any decent quality 12"inch 2or3 way speakers as tops, two QSC or Crown amps, any 2way crossover or driverack. Your gear is an investment forget about going cheap, you get what u pay for. Until u can afford good gear rent what u need and put away some of the proceeds from every gig that u do so one day u can get that needed gear.
sixxx 3:28 PM - 22 July, 2009
What craigmac said... but only better. :P

lol @ bi-sexual hahahaha
latindj 3:34 PM - 22 July, 2009
Quote:

ugh, no misquote needed! (pinche jotito!)
sixxx 3:44 PM - 22 July, 2009
lol
sixxx 3:45 PM - 22 July, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

ugh, no misquote needed! (pinche jotito!)

Btw... they're backing up into each other. Save! lol
latindj 3:48 PM - 22 July, 2009
No save. It's a homo train with you as the caboose! lol
sixxx 4:19 PM - 22 July, 2009
lol
flipmo8064 3:13 AM - 24 July, 2009
Ok... speakers aside. Schools still have dances? I mean, I can remember dances when I was in middle school but I don't ever remember having anything like that in high school. Especially in the gym??? Only thing that went down in the gym was b ball, v ball, gym glass and pep rallys.