Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

off topic general DJ question - would you DJ on a game console?

djkee 4:10 AM - 9 November, 2018
Why has no DJ hardware & software company ever made a serious DJ platform for a gaming system? Such as PS4 or Nintendo Switch?

Gaming systems are fast, affordable, efficient hardware that many people have and the game systems are designed to be on the market for 5-10 years. Whereas laptop and tablet models and OSes come and go on a 1-2 year cycle, which makes it much more difficult to design/support products for.

There are a lot of DJ products for iPad/iPhone/iOS and not nearly as many for android. Part of the reason for this is there are far too many android devices with different OS, UI, processor, resolution, sound card, etc to support all of them, while Apple only has 3-5 models out at one time.

It seems to me that the advantages that make it easier for DJ companies to create/support products for Apple are the same advantages that would apply in making a DJ controller & software for a gaming system.

As nice as it would be for every DJ in the world to learn on CDJs or turntables, that is a very expensive way to go. The most affordable to get started as a bedroom DJ is a controller, but then you still need a computer or tablet. Windows is cheaper, but more prone to malware. Apple is expensive.

Why not a game system instead?
YZ 3:40 PM - 9 November, 2018
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in my 28yrs of DJ'ing. I don't even know where to begin with this.
DJ JulioYEG 3:56 PM - 9 November, 2018
i mean i played dj hero, does that count?
popnwave 4:24 PM - 9 November, 2018
Quote:

Was waiting for someone to say that, lol.
DJ JulioYEG 4:49 PM - 9 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

LOL.
deejdave 7:26 PM - 9 November, 2018
Only ridiculous when not looking at the real factors. From a performance (latency/reliability) POV consoles are much tighter. Another great byproduct is they are all the same this would be much easier to support (similar to Apple ecosystem) and because of this the cost stays at a minimum. While out there sumply because it had not been done yet it is actually a pretty good idea. If anyone here wants to look at this from a fair POV just look at all the NON game applications video game consoles have been used for over the years as in military and such.
djkee 7:58 PM - 9 November, 2018
It sounds more crazy from a advanced or professional DJ point of view, but do you remember when you first started DJing?

Imagine from the perspective of someone who has never DJed before and wants to get started. Imagine how hard it is to look at all of this beginner DJ gear - controller that requires a laptop, etc. Which software is better? Which operating system? How open and inviting is DJ culture to someone who wants to start DJing but does not have a single friend who is a DJ? As a subculture, we are generally pretty closed off to n00bs, aren't we?

Now, imagine if it was based around a nintendo switch. It would be all-in for a beginner DJ rig at approx $600, including the controller, Switch and Micro SD to store your music. Only $300 if you already have the Switch.

Generation Z kids (post millennial) don't even own (or want) a laptop. Some of the DJ products are going toward iPad/IPhone because many potential users already have an iPad or iPhone, so that lowers the barrier of entry for new DJs. Same logic would apply here.

It would also appeal to much younger base of potential future DJs if families already have a game system. I can see parents geeking out with tweens over this in a way that they aren't with Traktor or Serato or Pioneer.
YZ 9:42 PM - 9 November, 2018
This is factually a pointless thread, other than just some dudes bored at work farting around with dumb ideas on the internet. It's never going to happen... ever. How did this reach 5 posts? They're not making anything for the ipad's, what makes you think dudes will be dj'ing on nintendo switch's?
popnwave 10:45 PM - 9 November, 2018
Quote:
This is factually a pointless thread, other than just some dudes bored at work farting around with dumb ideas on the internet. It's never going to happen... ever. How did this reach 5 posts? They're not making anything for the ipad's, what makes you think dudes will be dj'ing on nintendo switch's?

Didn't you just wonder why I lumped you in with TurdFacedTroll the other day? Posts like this are why.
deejdave 11:38 PM - 9 November, 2018
Quote:

There are so many errors in this I woulnd't know where to begin. Who are "they" because they as in DJ SW developers are 100% making SW for iPads. If they = Serato they have 100% made two different apps for iPads. Different strokes for different folks. Some people think its a good idea to use Mac Mini's without screens in place of a MacBook Pro so we've heard just about everything right?
djkee 12:42 AM - 10 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL.

It's a bit of a stretch from DJ Hero to learning DJing... but I would say it doesn't not count.

Today in the 21st century, we teach kids robotics in STEM classes at school - it is a fun game that has actual real world applications. Nintendo has the Nintendo Labo toys for Switch as well now... so I partially see it as something along those lines. But something that still has a real world application and can be used as more than simply just a toy.

labo.nintendo.com
YZ 8:57 PM - 12 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't you just wonder why I lumped you in with TurdFacedTroll the other day? Posts like this are why.

No, I didn't wonder why and this idea is still dumb.
Another Mark H 10:14 PM - 12 November, 2018
I think that using the game console as the processing hardware is a reasonable and viable approach.

There are ergonomic & practical issues with consoles which don't have screens and obviously one would need a controller with similar functionality to that which the typical Serato hardware has but the value to the software developer of known reference hardware is not to be underestimated.

It is easier to develop for Apple hardware because of the relatively limited range, and similarly once a game console was chosen as the hardware platform and it was known to always perform in a stable way (no new OS updates at unpredictable times etc.) this might well be attractive.
djkee 2:39 AM - 15 November, 2018
Laptops are on their way out. I would rather play on a Nintendo Switch or iPad mini than a laptop.

I find the laptop screen to be distracting and takes away from my interaction with the crowd when I DJ.
DJ JulioYEG 3:28 AM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
Laptops are on their way out. I would rather play on a Nintendo Switch or iPad mini than a laptop.

I find the laptop screen to be distracting and takes away from my interaction with the crowd when I DJ.

i can sell you my dj hero its for the wii not the wii u tho :(. u can tear some wax up on that bad boy.
DJ JulioYEG 3:33 AM - 15 November, 2018
being realistic here i think what hes trying to say is have the console be a "pc" or a "mac mini" if you will. but then youd have the same problem of needing a monitor unless you have a 72 or the numark screens. and if the console will allow you to autoboot the software lol. are you really gonna bring a xbox controller and boot sdj.. probably not.
deejdave 10:42 AM - 15 November, 2018
I am intrigued that we can’t all crack the code and realize video games are just hardware that uses software and you can install whatever OS u want on hardware including keyboards and mouse lmao.
deejdave 10:43 AM - 15 November, 2018
There are PlayStations that currentl use Linux and Sony was even sued a few years back for making it impossible to do so.
deejdave 10:46 AM - 15 November, 2018
The point (again for those who don’t get it) is that you can find decent performance for cheap in consoles and there is a HUGE advantage to having mirror image hardware as it is easy to support as in Apple?!!!?!
Chino 1:04 PM - 15 November, 2018
I appreciate that the OP is thinking outside the box. If a Xbox One or PS4 has enough processing power/RAM to run SDJ Pro efficiently then I'm all for it!

I'm beyond tired of giving Apple thousands of my hard earned dollars! Why make companies like Apple any richer than they already are?

Image a custom PS4 running SDJ Pro with 4 USB 3.1 ports, keyboard/mouse connections & HDMI output. Connect any size monitor & your controller & your good to go!

The big difference would be price. Gaming hardware is mass produced & costs maybe $300- $400 as opposed to the current price of new Mac Book Pros??!!!
Chino 1:11 PM - 15 November, 2018
Calling all the hackers of the world! I will gladly donate a PS4 if someone can get SDJ Pro to run stable & efficiently on it!!
DJ JulioYEG 2:33 PM - 15 November, 2018
if this is the case why arent you bringing a mac mini or a pc to your setups?
deejdave 2:51 PM - 15 November, 2018
Lmao I am not. For the record I see this as a good idea for those who do not have the means and this could be way to have access to reliable gear. Believe it or not some here DO think it’s a good idea to use say a Mac mini without even bringing a screen. I don’t care what hw you have (Rane 72, nv, etc.) the built in screens do not provide nearly enough access to warrant not having proper display with you so in essence as you said there is not all that much of a difference between using a Mac mini and what is being proposed here especially if advanced features are not being used.
Chino 5:15 PM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
If this is the case why arent you bringing a mac mini or a pc to your setups?

My reasoning is convenience & price. I have two MBPs dedicated to DJing. I already spent the $$$ so I use what I have now. The current prices of new MBPs are ridiculous, though. I will definitely be looking at alternative platforms to run SDJ Pro on in the future.

I don't mind bringing an extra screen as a monitor for a mac mini, gaming console etc. (but I'm probably the exception to the norm). I already have to bring L.E.D. tvs out to many of my events so adding a third or fourth screen as a monitor is not adding that much to my setup.
DJ JulioYEG 6:15 PM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
If this is the case why arent you bringing a mac mini or a pc to your setups?

My reasoning is convenience & price. I have two MBPs dedicated to DJing. I already spent the $$$ so I use what I have now. The current prices of new MBPs are ridiculous, though. I will definitely be looking at alternative platforms to run SDJ Pro on in the future.

I don't mind bringing an extra screen as a monitor for a mac mini, gaming console etc. (but I'm probably the exception to the norm). I already have to bring L.E.D. tvs out to many of my events so adding a third or fourth screen as a monitor is not adding that much to my setup.

wouldnt work in a club setting, so i dont think it will go over very well
deejdave 7:43 PM - 15 November, 2018
Why wouldn’t this work in a club setting? Every club (worth noting) that have actual sound systems in NY have displays in the dj booth. I don’t see it being a big deal to simply use one temporarily especially with modern adapter options etc, smaller spots bring ur own mobile its all your own. I’m not seeing the deal breaker here.
DJ JulioYEG 8:16 PM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
Why wouldn’t this work in a club setting? Every club (worth noting) that have actual sound systems in NY have displays in the dj booth. I don’t see it being a big deal to simply use one temporarily especially with modern adapter options etc, smaller spots bring ur own mobile its all your own. I’m not seeing the deal breaker here.

displays running dmx for the lighting i presume? or do you and the other djs take turns unplugging the hdmi cord throughout the night? lol lapptops are used for a reason. I like to go to a club with a backpack not a box otheriwse call that a mobile gig. All you need if your a club dj is your laptop headphones usb cables maybe a hub if you run hid and your dvs and carts
DJ JulioYEG 8:20 PM - 15 November, 2018
also what club doesnt have a sound system lol thats the difference between a bar and a club. im sure the in house sound engineer loves it when you play with the screen eh
d:raf 9:28 PM - 15 November, 2018
If the idea took off it wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine a club having a “house system” or three ($400 is cheaper than most turntables, cdjs or mixers), complete with screen (just plug in your usb stick and controller, if applicable).

Interesting thread.
deejdave 10:35 PM - 15 November, 2018
Quote:
also what club doesnt have a sound system lol thats the difference between a bar and a club. im sure the in house sound engineer loves it when you play with the screen eh

I think a trip to NY is in order. We have bars super clubs and PLENTY in between. Some clubs have stages even but have yet to even be visited by a sound engineer other than the guy/s who may have initially installed said system. Listen I personally use nothing but MBP's but the point is sound engineers are there for a reason and accommodating DJ's is one of them. Having a decent personality and a small following I can't see ANY club staff having any issue with such requests. I have personally rearranged a DJ booth to suit my needs with zero regrets as you do what you gotta do sometimes.

ANYWAYS these are just minor unimportant details as this is not the norm. The whole point is this idea is not quite as unreasonable as it is being made out to be and does have some very real advantages. Would it ever be the primary go to for DJ's I would obviously have to say no but the facts remain.
Laz219 12:29 AM - 17 November, 2018
I would think any house that has a gaming console, probably has a computer in it as well that could be used.

If this was to be a reality, it then seems like a pain do the simple thing of getting music. Short of running an entirely different OS, web browsing/downloading and file management on consoles is nowhere near as easy as on an actual computer.
deejdave 4:25 PM - 18 November, 2018
Quote:
Short of running an entirely different OS

This is the whole point and how it should (already is in PS case) be done. It is nothing more than using the console instead of a PC and this would obviously be targeted NOT at adults (who YES would most likely have a computer in the same house) but at the kids who actually have the consoles. Especially with tablets and phones becoming more prominent it is becoming more and more common to NOT have a computer in the house but video game consoles don't seem to be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
djkee 2:21 AM - 28 November, 2018
From a software development perspective, the life span of a game console ecosystem is 10+ years. The hardware and OS changes very little in this time. The OS is needs to be very stable for a game system. This makes it easier to develop software for, because there are less variable to have to account for.

It is time consuming to have to fix bugs for computers and OS in an open ecosystem because there is so many different kinds of hardware and and it changes so fast. As a developer, if you didn't have to always be fixing OS and hardware bugs, you could develop more time to bringing new features.

I was honestly thinking of the Nintendo switch more than the PS/Xbox. It has a built in screen and a built in battery - which means it is more usable for actually gigging with. Processing power & speed wise, it is about as fast as a an ipad/iphone with the A10 or a10X processor (mid 2017)). That is fast enough to run Alrgoriddim Djay software, so I'm the Nintendo Switch should be able to handle.

I think consoles like PS4 would be good for home and practice, but unless someone can figure out how to put a battery on it, I wouldn't want to gig with it. What happens when someone tries to unplug your gear to charge their phone or trips over a cord in the booth?
d:raf 2:46 AM - 28 November, 2018
Quote:
What happens when someone tries to unplug your gear to charge their phone or trips over a cord in the booth?

...and how is this any different from using anything else that plugs in? Controller/mixer/turntable/etc.?

(speaking as someone that had their controller unplugged mid-set once by a dude plugging his in).
djkee 9:37 PM - 28 November, 2018
Yes, but if the CDJ or turntable or mixer power goes out, your laptop still stays on. As soon as power is restored, you can start right back up with no delay.

If your Computer/Tablet/iPad/PS4 has to completely re-boot. it could add another several minutes to the process.

Have you ever seen a DJ at a gig who forgot to plug in their laptop? If the laptop battery dies during a set, it could be5 minutes to get sound back up.

A crowd might tolerate 20-30 seconds, but even just 2 minutes of dead air seems like an eternity.

Quote:
Quote:
What happens when someone tries to unplug your gear to charge their phone or trips over a cord in the booth?

...and how is this any different from using anything else that plugs in? Controller/mixer/turntable/etc.?

(speaking as someone that had their controller unplugged mid-set once by a dude plugging his in).
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 12:29 AM - 29 November, 2018
Mac Mini with the Rane 72 is the only logical solution. That's what I use and it works flawless and you can access all needed features of SDJ. End thread.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:37 AM - 29 November, 2018
And there you have it, where is that super MacBook pro of yours, yeah...... That's what we all knew all along
djkee 1:32 AM - 29 November, 2018
Mac Mini makes sense with the 72. Still no battery though.

I've thought if I was traveling and doing gigs but wanted to have the smallest DJ rig possible, I could use an intel computer stick and just put a HDMI monitor and keyboard on my rider if I get any gigs.

www.windowscentral.com
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:28 PM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:
And there you have it, where is that super MacBook pro of yours, yeah...... That's what we all knew all along

Oh hey Sparky ole buddy ole pal! Actually as a matter of fact it is currently sitting on the floor within my Taupe color $8 Thousand Dollar Hermes Sac a Depeches 38 briefcase.

Everyone knows you are just jealous, we all know why.
YZ 9:45 PM - 29 November, 2018
Quote:

Oh hey Sparky ole buddy ole pal! Actually as a matter of fact it is currently sitting on the floor within my Taupe color $8 Thousand Dollar Hermes Sac a Depeches 38 briefcase.

Everyone knows you are just jealous, we all know why.

Expo3ed
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:50 AM - 30 November, 2018
We all know who's exposed but not that we needed proof anyhow
Matt Sherman 2:11 AM - 1 December, 2018
YZ and Turtleface = Same person
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:15 AM - 1 December, 2018
and you think serato will do anything, you can just sign up again,
Matt Sherman 2:19 AM - 1 December, 2018
Quote:
and you think serato will do anything, you can just sign up again,

I'm more interested in seeing if they boot him anyway. Let's us know if Serato condones his behavior!
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:51 AM - 1 December, 2018
we got him banned once but like i said in this post serato.com