Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Ability to see Lyrics for Songs (Cued or Playing)

TheProfessa 3:33 AM - 4 November, 2018
I'd love to have the ability to see the lyrics of a song that is playing or that I am looking to cue up. The reason is that I play many events for schools, kids, families, etc. And I do like to take requests. However, there are some songs that are just not appropriate and it's impossible to keep track of them all. The fact that the song is "clean" does not mean that it's an appropriate song because the lyrics may still have sexual, violent, or other adult content in its message. The lyrics would help me quickly scan the song and determine if I want to play it and I can scan the lyrics at lot faster than listening to it.
acemc 1:03 PM - 11 November, 2018
I understand where you're coming from, but where would Serato get the lyrics from?
I don't think you get lyrics in the tags when you purchase a track (I've never seen it anyway).
So you would have to actually find the lyrics of the tracks yourself & manually add them into the tracks id3 tag. By doing this you would then already know if the track is inappropriate or not. As a dj, you are getting paid for your skill & music knowledge. I'd rather not play music I don't know than risk playing a song that could potentially ruin my reputation.
TheProfessa 6:55 PM - 11 November, 2018
@acemc There are lyrics APIs that go along with a lot of these lyrics sites. Serato would access the API over the internet and pass it the title of the song, artist, etc. The interface may come back with several options to select. The goal here is to simplify the workflow and not require changing between applications to do a search. Also, serato could even allow us to put in keywords that may not be considered "dirty" by adult standards, but are not ideal for family audiences and if these keywords pop up in the lyrics they could be highlighted.

Shazam and other services use Lyrics APIs to generate the lyrics for the songs they match.
acemc 7:09 PM - 11 November, 2018
Quote:
There are lyrics APIs that go along with a lot of these lyrics sites

Very interesting, I had no idea there was something like this. I'm gonna look into that. Thanks for the info.
TheProfessa 7:28 PM - 11 November, 2018
For sure. Here is one site that I found on a quick search where some are listed: www.quora.com

But there are many others. All of these music services are using them. It really just comes down to costs for Serato and having the right partnership. The development is not a heavy lift once that's done. They could add it as an optional add-on tool.
acemc 7:33 PM - 11 November, 2018
Quote:
They could add it as an optional add-on tool

That's a great idea.
+1 for lyric finder expansion pack