DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Phase Wireless DJ System what do you think DJ's?

dj roqone 4:20 PM - 30 October, 2018
Watchwww.youtube.com

As for myself....Very Excited!!
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:01 PM - 30 October, 2018
Meh.. I have had some beta units and have been using this for a minute. I prefer real dvs honestly. Too much extra ish to hook up.
dj roqone 5:39 PM - 30 October, 2018
ReallY!!!?….Bummer
you think these will replace the needles TurtleFaceBrownNoser?
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:18 PM - 30 October, 2018
Quote:
ReallY!!!?….Bummer
you think these will replace the needles TurtleFaceBrownNoser?

I think needles will always have a place. People still use them to listen to real vinyl.
YZ 6:34 PM - 30 October, 2018
Trusting wireless technology during gig - Hell No
More wires, tangled mess to fart around with, more points of failure to troubleshoot - No
Battery charging (lol) - Hell No

To me these things are bootleg budget toy's, just buy the Twelve's or get rid of your turntables for something else if you're not going to use them anymore. When I see Jazzy Jeff and others using them, I'm convinced they're being paid/sponsored too... I guarantee you those dudes wouldn't mess with them at a large gig.

Nice try, good idea, but pass.
dj roqone 7:24 PM - 30 October, 2018
@ TurtleFaceBrownNoser good point

@ YZ, good insight. I rock the reloop-rp8000's
popnwave 8:30 PM - 30 October, 2018
Quote:
To me these things are bootleg budget toy's, just buy the Twelve's or get rid of your turntables for something else if you're not going to use them anymore. When I see Jazzy Jeff and others using them, I'm convinced they're being paid/sponsored too... I guarantee you those dudes wouldn't mess with them at a large gig.

Jeff has been using both lately. I think Phase is a cool tech, but I'd wait for 2.0.
Djkom 11:21 AM - 31 October, 2018
Quote:
More wires, tangled mess to fart around with, more points of failure to troubleshoot - No

Have you seen issues during events (NAMM, IDA..Etc) where Phase was demoed ? Do Wireless microphones have issues in large events ???
Chino 3:07 PM - 31 October, 2018
The first generation of PHASE is similar to the first generation of the Rane SL 1 box. Both products were/are revolutionary.

PHASE's success (I will definitely buy a set once released), may trigger a built-in DJ mixer MKII version in the future. Maybe an MKII version with 45 adapter sized rechargeable transmitter? Give DJs the option to buy the rechargeable 45 adapter sized transmitters separately. That allows a transmitter to be easily replaced if lost or stolen.
DJ JulioYEG 4:09 PM - 31 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Have you seen issues during events (NAMM, IDA..Etc) where Phase was demoed ? Do Wireless microphones have issues in large events ???

do you remember when wireless mics were first introduced? Shure had the first mic it had 700 sqft of coverage and had many frequency issues and dropouts... why? because it was the first ever. Take phase as a technological advancement that hasn't been perfected yet give it some time to get all the kinks and issues worked out and another company to copy add some competition to the wireless dvs market and you'll have a better product for the consumer available
Mr. Goodkat 6:41 PM - 31 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

do you remember when wireless mics were first introduced? Shure had the first mic it had 700 sqft of coverage and had many frequency issues and dropouts... why? because it was the first ever. Take phase as a technological advancement that hasn't been perfected yet give it some time to get all the kinks and issues worked out and another company to copy add some competition to the wireless dvs market and you'll have a better product for the consumer available

shure had the first wireless mics?
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 8:23 PM - 31 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure!
DJ JulioYEG 2:14 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yes in 1953 by the sure brothers but before that some guy had a patent for a lapel mic that they used for umpires at baseball games but the first marketed mic was shure and then shortly after Sennheiser came out with the second wireless mic marketed ever
Mr. Goodkat 7:28 PM - 1 November, 2018
damn, youre a mic historian
DJ JulioYEG 8:38 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
damn, youre a mic historian

I like history ;)
Mr. Goodkat 8:48 PM - 1 November, 2018
was my college major. guess thats why i became a dj lol
DJ JulioYEG 8:53 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
was my college major. guess thats why I became a dj lol

im a psych major with a minor in business, djing is great because im free during the week unless im covering a shift for someone or got a priv party or mobile gig
Gio Alex 8:53 PM - 1 November, 2018
Don't most venues have CDJs anyway?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's just something really messed up about using turntables with the tonearm set in the arm rest with no needles attached. Might as well just get a rane twelve, V7 or some motorized denon decks. It just looks wrong.
DJ Reflex 1:49 AM - 2 November, 2018
Quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's just something really messed up about using turntables with the tonearm set in the arm rest with no needles attached. Might as well just get a rane twelve, V7 or some motorized denon decks. It just looks wrong.

I suppose you COULD still put the needle on the record... ya know, just for the old school look.
DJ JulioYEG 3:12 AM - 2 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I suppose you COULD still put the needle on the record... ya know, just for the old school look.

lol +1
Gio Alex 2:11 PM - 2 November, 2018
Also, you're gonna get people walking up to you asking questions on how the hell that even works. People still don't get how serato works.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:45 PM - 2 November, 2018
Yea you will be shamed as a Fake DJ with no sylus on them records ! Bwahahahaaaaaa.
dj_soo 7:37 PM - 3 November, 2018
I’m all for it, but will wait for the mk2 or at least the second run of hardware.

Imo, for most club jocks, residents, and mobile djs, it’s probably not the best choice. But for touring, festival, and headline type djs, that rarely play for longer than 2 hours, i think it’s great.

The amount of shitty, poorly maintained turntables I experience on the road or the amount of poorly isolated dj booths where massive sub arrays are causing needles to jump around, something like this is amazing.

It’s all well and good to say “use twelves,” but I’m not going to take 70 lbs of twelves on the road or on a plane with me and they are so rare right now, even the top djs who have it on their rider are not realistically going to have that fulfilled.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 7:55 PM - 5 November, 2018
Quote:
I’m all for it, but will wait for the mk2 or at least the second run of hardware.

Imo, for most club jocks, residents, and mobile djs, it’s probably not the best choice. But for touring, festival, and headline type djs, that rarely play for longer than 2 hours, i think it’s great.

The amount of shitty, poorly maintained turntables I experience on the road or the amount of poorly isolated dj booths where massive sub arrays are causing needles to jump around, something like this is amazing.

It’s all well and good to say “use twelves,” but I’m not going to take 70 lbs of twelves on the road or on a plane with me and they are so rare right now, even the top djs who have it on their rider are not realistically going to have that fulfilled.

Not the case at all actually. All the top DJ's that request 12's get them on demand.
YZ 8:02 PM - 5 November, 2018
Quote:

You mean have I seen this beta product in a closed environment with dev's and designers standing around their product? No.

Yes, I've seen wireless mic's go wild all the time. If that's your argument and you know for a fact they're using the same type of technology for Phase then I'm more than passing. Go for it dude, good luck.
SUBSTANCE 11:50 PM - 5 November, 2018
It could be 2.4Ghz consumer level (karaoke), analogue radio frequency (RF), or digital RF.
Large events that use wireless microphones & in ear monitors have a frequency allocation ahead of time so that everyone stays off each others toes. That avoids most issues with 'wireless' equipment.
Phase won't need to cover the distance that wireless mics are expected to handle.
Some of my work is broadcast audio at sport stadiums with wireless signals going everywhere so the wireless aspect of Phase is believable, it's having wireless without latency that is the impressive bit.
We might have to let venues & festivals know what frequency Phase uses ahead of time so that it plays nice with other RF around the venue. You wouldn't want the security channel bleeding into your chilled house set.
Mutis Mayfield 11:57 PM - 5 November, 2018
But latency will be from the receptor (where the magnetic encoder signal from the emiter is transformed into timecode). The data from the emiter to reciever is small packets with angular variation or so not the whole audio like microphones. There is no audio conversion...

It could be just an xbee board minimized to extreme and receptor with tone generator.
dj roqone 2:20 PM - 12 November, 2018
They keep pushing the date back as for as releasing it.
people who pre-ordered them are kinda upset.
some say it's a hoax :)
YZ 3:32 PM - 12 November, 2018
Quote:
They keep pushing the date back as for as releasing it.
people who pre-ordered them are kinda upset.
some say it's a hoax :)

It's a gimmicky product early adopters are going to buy, that's pretty much it. I could be wrong, but it's clearly not ready for the masses to use right now and then trash on a forum.
Chino 3:37 PM - 12 November, 2018
It's a brand new product so I expected 1 or 2 delays. I'd rather the Phase developers take their time to release a solid, stable product.

There is no point in rushing a product to market that is full of bugs. Many companies fall into that trap and they risk their professional reputation and future sales by doing so.
SUBSTANCE 11:01 AM - 13 November, 2018
They delayed the release date one time & they release November 28.
No mention on any of Phase's official channels of another delay.
If you spin on a controller or CDJs, clearly these are no big deal to you - but these address several issues that could make a DVS setup more stable.
Playing a set without fluff balls messing with tracking, having the CV run out mid mix, & not hearing the serato tone constantly are worth the price of admission alone.
DJ Reflex 1:06 AM - 14 November, 2018
^^ I might bite... ^^
GrandDad 4:10 PM - 14 November, 2018
Quote:
not hearing the serato tone constantly are worth the price of admission alone.

Wait...WHAT? I've never used DVS, but I'm about to buy some control vinyl. Tell me more about this. I didnt know the tone signal was audible to the dj.
DJ G-Rebel 7:01 PM - 14 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Wait...WHAT? I've never used DVS, but I'm about to buy some control vinyl. Tell me more about this. I didnt know the tone signal was audible to the dj.

Sure it is possible to hear it when your djing in not so loud environments like when you're at home.. It's very annoying but it depends on the needles yo're using. So i'm happy that this will be gone forever in 2 weeks when they ship phase.
Gio Alex 7:14 PM - 14 November, 2018
Quote:

Wait, you hear the serato tone at loud venues and with headphones on?
DJ G-Rebel 7:19 PM - 14 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Wait, you hear the serato tone at loud venues and with headphones on?

No. Like i said. In NOT so loud environments. But you just hear it thru the needle. Not the speakers. It's a piping noise
dj_soo 7:20 PM - 14 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

When using turntables, you can faintly hear the records even if your speakers aren't up. Just the nature of how vinyl works.
Logisticalstyles 8:02 PM - 14 November, 2018
Quote:

It's most annoying when trying to record scratch videos. That high pitched noise gets picked up by the camera's microphone easily. That's the main reason I record the audio separately in Serato and then line it up with the video in iMovie.
deezlee 9:24 PM - 14 November, 2018
Picture sitting in a quiet house and there is a steady high pitched whine going constantly. It's more annoying then you think.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:54 PM - 19 November, 2018
Phase's initial product run was a complete failure. Looks like its pushed back to Q2 2019 again....
DJ G-Rebel 7:39 PM - 19 November, 2018
Quote:
Phase's initial product run was a complete failure. Looks like its pushed back to Q2 2019 again....

What product run??? It is not released yet.
Next week on wednesday it will be released worldwide and makes you HATERS quiet!!!
YZ 9:36 PM - 19 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Next week on wednesday it will be released worldwide and makes you HATERS quiet!!!

Until someone wants to warm up their hot pocket in the microwave and the wireless signal flat lines your gig.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 9:38 PM - 19 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Until someone wants to warm up their hot pocket in the microwave and the wireless signal flat lines your gig.

Facts
DJ Reflex 11:43 PM - 19 November, 2018
I'm posting a big sign outset my sets... "No hot pockets while DJ is spinning!"
Mr. Goodkat 1:37 AM - 20 November, 2018
thats one of my biggest problems, people using microwaves at my gigs. its like everyone is heating up hot pockets, soups, etc. Leftovers after tgiving is always madness, so i guess ill hold off on the phase until i start getting gigs at clubs instead of the back rooms of local cafeterias and restaurants.
Chino 1:57 AM - 20 November, 2018
Quote:
so i guess ill hold off on the phase until i start getting gigs at clubs instead of the back rooms of local cafeterias and restaurants.

LMAO!!

Maybe certain DJs are beta testing in their dorm rooms and/or bedrooms that have microwave ovens in them? Do microwaves actually interrupt the PHASE single?

Maybe I'll put a Microwave oven in my studio to make some popcorn while testing out PHASE & see what happens...

Either way, I'm still looking forward to the PHASE release on Nov. 28th!!!
DJ G-Rebel 5:28 PM - 20 November, 2018
Quote:
thats one of my biggest problems, people using microwaves at my gigs. its like everyone is heating up hot pockets, soups, etc. Leftovers after tgiving is always madness, so i guess ill hold off on the phase until i start getting gigs at clubs instead of the back rooms of local cafeterias and restaurants.

But it is no microwave radiation that comes from the phase. The signal renews itself every second. They made a signal that is wireless but has nothing to do with wifi, bluetooth and any known wireless radiation!
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:31 PM - 20 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

But it is no microwave radiation that comes from the phase. The signal renews itself every second. They made a signal that is wireless but has nothing to do with wifi, bluetooth and any known wireless radiation!

"Fake News"
Illiment 5:15 PM - 26 November, 2018
Shipping delayed til end of Jan '19 now. DAMMIT.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:17 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
Shipping delayed til end of Jan '19 now. DAMMIT.

Actually you are looking at Q2 2019 if your lucky. I know the MFG, they had major first run issues. Clients cooking hot pockets being one of them.
Chino 5:37 PM - 26 November, 2018
Well, this is the reason I no longer pre-order 1st generation products. There is usually a delay or two related to manufacturing and/or newly discovered bugs. I will wait until a 2nd manufacturing run to purchase. By that time most of the bugs should be resolved.

I will definitely support Phase once it is released, though. In the meantime, I have plenty of other equipment to keep me occupied.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:41 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
Well, this is the reason I no longer pre-order 1st generation products. There is usually a delay or two related to manufacturing and/or newly discovered bugs. I will wait until a 2nd manufacturing run to purchase. By that time most of the bugs should be resolved.

I will definitely support Phase once it is released, though. In the meantime, I have plenty of other equipment to keep me occupied.

I would suggest waiting for V2.0, that is the version I am now testing. Instead of being a sensor placed on top of the vinyl the 2.0 version is integrated directly into a 12” vinyl. I even told the Phase team not to go with the crappy MFG they chose, they are doing everything they can to cut corners and production costs- it def screwed them. I saw the first run of products and there were major tolerance issues and low grade electronic components that didn’t work as planned.
DJ JulioYEG 5:45 PM - 26 November, 2018
so phase 2.0 comes with its own cw now app?
Chino 5:55 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
I would suggest waiting for V2.0, that is the version I am now testing. Instead of being a sensor placed on top of the vinyl the 2.0 version is integrated directly into a 12” vinyl. I even told the Phase team not to go with the crappy MFG they chose, they are doing everything they can to cut corners and production costs- it def screwed them. I saw the first run of products and there were major tolerance issues and low grade electronic components that didn’t work as planned.

^^^ If this is the case then Phase V2.0 should also include the receiver built into a high end Serato DJ Pro enabled mixer (along with the transmitters directly built into the 12" custom vinyl).

I'm surprised that Phase allows the disclosure of V2.0 info while Beta testing. Most Beta testing programs that I've been involved with requires a signed NDA with strict guidelines...
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:06 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

^^^ If this is the case then Phase V2.0 should also include the receiver built into a high end Serato DJ Pro enabled mixer (along with the transmitters directly built into the 12" custom vinyl).

I'm surprised that Phase allows the disclosure of V2.0 info while Beta testing. Most Beta testing programs that I've been involved with requires a signed NDA with strict guidelines...

Ya they tried your idea, its not happening. Phase would basically have to pay the MFG to implement their product. Perhaps with a smaller company they may have success.

I'm not your average beta tester and IDGAF what people think or say, most people I meet instantly hate me as I have zero filter. I have insude ties at most all DJ Gear MFG's, my rolodex is deep son.
SUBSTANCE 7:27 PM - 26 November, 2018
Announcing a 'revolutionary' product and not delivering on time. Sounds like the Twelve all over again.
I'd rather have the units inside the record but still...
I definitely won't be pre-ordering any other DJ products because of this.
popnwave 8:03 PM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:
Announcing a 'revolutionary' product and not delivering on time. Sounds like the Twelve all over again.
I'd rather have the units inside the record but still...
I definitely won't be pre-ordering any other DJ products because of this.

Yeah but the TWELVES actually arrived and are damn nice controllers.

I think the only pre ordering process I trust is Apple and that's because they ship two weeks later,