DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Active speaker set up question

novakone 1:26 PM - 25 October, 2018
Hi yall.
I know I’ve asked loads of these questions but trying to get my around this shizz

I have a pair of DB 12s 300watt RMS tops
Decent clear sound but obvs not enough power for most rooms.

Should I?
Add a single or pair of 600w rms subs and run the highs through a HPF on the sub to fill the room out

Or

Invest in some more powerful tops 500w -600w rms
Then add a similar sub at a later date when I start doing bigger rooms

This is all new to me, I’ve DJed for near on 20 years now but never with my own gear, always clubs and bars who have an in house set up.

Cheers guys 👊
novakone 2:10 PM - 25 October, 2018
Edit invest in 15” 500-600 tops
Not stated above
Chars
Taipanic 2:33 PM - 25 October, 2018
I would invest in a pair of subs first as it will make your output sound way better. If you are playing high volume, hi pass the tops, you can keep them full range at lower volumes.
From there, invest in better quality gear when you can justify the cost that will give you better sound quality and more output, if required. Size or stated wattage mean little these days, do research on what gear is good. For example, a pair of Danley SM80s with a single 12" coaxial speaker will sound better and out SPL almost every sub $2000 speaker by EV, QSC, JBL, etc... but that is why they are almost $3k each unpowered. My current Prosumer choices are Yamaha DSR112 tops and Yorkville or EV & JBL subs. Higher end subs would be JTR, Bassboss, & Danley.
DJ Reflex 3:18 AM - 26 October, 2018
I gotta say... my Bassboss SSP118 is dope! I just rocked a school dance with one sub - Shook the whole room. I own three, but have not had the gig(s) to use them yet. Can't wait till prom season!
DJ Guayo 7:39 PM - 26 October, 2018
Quote:
I gotta say... my Bassboss SSP118 is dope! I just rocked a school dance with one sub - Shook the whole room. I own three, but have not had the gig(s) to use them yet. Can't wait till prom season!

Shut up Reflex... I'm trying to save money but the gearwhore in me is thinking about buying some Bassboss gear. No reason other than having new gear. LOL
pdidy 12:51 AM - 27 October, 2018
Quote:

3 is an odd number, you, therefore, need 4 to be official lol
DJ Reflex 5:27 AM - 27 October, 2018
^^ I hear ya, but I bought 3 to try out the cardioid mode on them. They forced me to buy an odd number! Two front facing and one rear.

DJ Guayo - I've since checked myself into rehab and see a professional counselor twice a week to cure me of the same addictions!!! LoL