Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Video + Win 10 + Choppy Video Freezes Every Second Or So

ChuckJambo 9:07 AM - 22 October, 2018
Hello,

Really at the end of my rope with Serato Video, and could use any useful suggestions other than 'you should buy a mac' (I've been that route, and it's crashes more than Richard Hammond after swigging a bottle of Jack Daniels.) No disrespect to you Mac users, but please - no thanks. Not interested in the Mac v PC tripe replay flame war.

So here's the story. Our goal right now is to get video playback of MP4's working flawlessly enough to be useful on the road.

For music videos, we tried lots of software on our test box - a heavily burdened SFF Dell Optiplex 5040. This tiny thing is 8gb/64b/i5 6500 3.2 and running win 7 pro. It's one of the last machines that can run that OS. As PC's go, it's sub optimal for even audio playback, it's got so much running on it. And sure enough things like Virtual DJ & Dex stuttered and
gave choppy video playback.

However, Serato - for all it's bugs and irritations - played perfectly, with an extended desktop onto two 60 inch screens. All using the onboard Intel graphics. To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement.

Over the coming weeks we tested it and tested it like crazy on that little Dell, and it was absolutely rock solid on video. Faultless. So we decided to invest in an optimised machine dedicated just to Serato Video - and that's where the trouble starts.

As most of the smart cookies here will know, it's near impossible to get a good Motherboard & Processor combo now that will run Win 7 Pro. They've pretty much designed it out to make it obsolete and force people to use Win 10. So, taking the view that we'd have to bite that bullet at some point, we did just that and built the following machine:

Board: Gigabytge H310M 2H REV 1.1
Proc: Intel i5 8600
Ram: 8GB DDR4 2133mhz
GPU: Asus/Nvidia GT170 2GB Passive Cooled PCI
SSD's for running and media, along with traditional HDD for mass media backup

So the machine was built up, WIN 10 installed, all drivers updated to their latest and greatest, Serato installed, all the tweaks detailed on the Serato Website were taken care of. Codec packs installed as per various posts in the forum here.

Unfortunately, I'm left with Serato video playing choppily, and I also see occasion issues with the waveform displays I never used to have on Win 7.

Now, and don't think me rude, I've done lots of reading on this subject, and there seems to be the typical old wives tale that persists 'It's Windows 10 causing all the evil here', and whilst I'd like to believe that, I know it's just not true, because the default media player in Windows 10 plays the very same videos perfectly and without any issues at all. In fact, it will do it side by side as Serato plays, and shows Serato video up as the villain here.

I grabbed my phone and shot the screen playing back a known good MP4 of Beyonce from Xtendamedia. In the top left Serato video window (the smaller one), the video can be seen to randomly pause/hang every second or two. In the large default media player window it plays back flawlessly and without any stutter. Which leads me to the conclusion the fault is clearly in Serato Video at fault.

Watchwww.youtube.com
(sound muted to appease Youtube Gods)

I've tried all of the fixes and experiments I can find. Codecs, optimisations etc. I've even pulled out the Asus/Nvida card and tried the onboard Intel graphics, but to no avail.

I'd like to think there's a fix for this, but I'm guessing I already know I'll have to find different software. But before I do that, does anyone have any ideas to get Serato to play videos smoothly before I start looking elsewhere for Win 10?

Thanks for reading through, and any ideas that may help.
Culprit 12:01 PM - 22 October, 2018
here's an old thread of mine

serato.com

give that a shot. You might need to uninstall all your codecs and reset it back to a clean install of serato dj and give this a shot first though, including restarting your computer.
Culprit 12:03 PM - 22 October, 2018
Quote:
Serato DJ 1.6.1 w/ Serato Video on Inspiron 14z on Windows 7 with Rane 62z Mixer. (click for details on setup recommendations)

Computer Specs found with Dell Service Tag Code HJSK3S1

FFDShow Tryouts on version is 1.3.4500 / 32 Bit Version
ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net

LAV Filters 0.61.1 (released 2014/03/07) / 32 Bit Versions
forum.doom9.org

Recommended Settings for Intel HD 3000+ Graphics Cards Only
Do Not Use With Nvidia or ATI Graphics Cards

Set Decoders to use "Intel Quick Sync"

Download the Use Direct Show Registry Script then Double click the script to run it
serato.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
ChuckJambo 8:25 AM - 23 October, 2018
Thanks. Tried that. Didn't make any difference. Have decided Serato isn't quite up to the job on video, and they don't have the core development skills inhouse to fix that.

I'm also a bit peeved that DJ Pro is missing pitch slider. I need that really basic function, and haven't seen anything aimed at a DJ in 30 years not to have one. If you look at the product page for DJ Pro the pitch slider is even missing in the screen shot. The Serato story is 'it's a bug that will be fixed eventually', yet oddly enough but if you spend hundreds on the DVS system it works, which kinda stinks of scam.

Thanks anyway.
DJ Tecniq 2:58 PM - 23 October, 2018
Quote:
But if you spend hundreds on the DVS system it works, which kinda stinks of scam.

Thanks anyway.
So a controller is too expensive? SDJ has never been a stand-alone program you have to have Serato hardware in order to use the full functions its not Virtual DJ. You can always use the 2 deck practice mode (offline)
ChuckJambo 4:00 PM - 23 October, 2018
Did I say a control was too expensive, or are you dreaming?

I have a number of Serato controllers. I don't own a DVS. Is that OK with you? Do you actually understand the point?
Logisticalstyles 4:56 PM - 23 October, 2018
Quote:
I'm also a bit peeved that DJ Pro is missing pitch slider

That's odd. I have a pitch slider on my screen when I use Serato DJPro with a controller. Are you talking about the offline mode?
ChuckJambo 5:09 PM - 23 October, 2018
No. I have an Akai AMX.

You've seen their own screenshot on the product page too, right?

serato.com

Plus Serato have already confirmed the bug, but please - don't let that get in the way of having an internet argument if it makes you feel good ;-)

David W. (Serato)

Oct 15, 11:42 NZDT

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us by email.

The Pitch controls are currently not displayed if Serato DVS functionality is not activated and enabled.

This did not use to be the case prior to Serato DJ Pro 2.0.0, we are currently investigating this issue and hope to have it fixed in a future update in the near future.

Until this fix comes, this panel will not be shown unless:

you own the DVS expansion pack
you own a DVS unlocked device (i.e. own any of these devices serato.com)

I hope this clarification helps, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

David W.
Team Leader - Support

Serato

Serato Limited
Private Bag 92015, AMSC
Auckland 1142, New Zealand

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
serato.com/disclaimer
Logisticalstyles 5:18 PM - 23 October, 2018
No, I wasn't looking to argue I was just asking a question in an attempt to figure out what the issue is.

Why so offensive?

The reason I can see the sliders is because I have the DVS pack and I also use DVS unlocked devices. That's why I said it was odd that I could see the sliders. I was trying to help you , but I guess you know what it takes to fix the issue.
ChuckJambo 5:20 PM - 23 October, 2018
Yes I do. Because Serato have already said it's a bug. But gee, thanks!
Culprit 9:52 PM - 23 October, 2018
Hey Chuck,

I was really hoping to help you out with this windows 10 serato video issue since we really want to come down to a solid solution and get it running.

My success rate on getting it at 60fps 720p has been pretty good with my machines in house, even an old company laptop I have rocked since 2009.

I understand your frustration [ Watchvimeo.com] though, so if you do not want to continue, no worries.
ChuckJambo 8:18 AM - 24 October, 2018
Thanks. But we've dumped Serato for now as we needed something reliable on video, and cost wasn't really a factor.

I'll look at it again in the Spring and see if it's any better.

Thanks anyway.