DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best iPhone DVS? And can I use a ttm57?

deezlee 4:52 PM - 8 October, 2018
Hi, I don't use Serato much anymore but I figure one of y'all might know the answer to this one.
I play mostly vinyl but I gotta play a few songs off of my phone (last minute wedding songs) once in a while.
I use my phone.
I'd like to use my phone with DVS
Edjay or DJ player pro or?
And can I use a ttm57?
Thanks in advance.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:00 PM - 8 October, 2018
should have got an actual laptop instead of the iPhone xs max huh?
deezlee 5:08 PM - 8 October, 2018
I've used DVS' for like 10 years, I've got a laptop.
Now I do all-vinyl private events (mostly wedding) gigs.
If the client wants music that I can't get records of, I have custom records pressed for the gig.
Sometimes they request something at the last minute so I use my phone instead of having a laptop on my DJ table.
Get a life.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:32 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:
I've used DVS' for like 10 years, I've got a laptop.
Now I do all-vinyl private events (mostly wedding) gigs.
If the client wants music that I can't get records of, I have custom records pressed for the gig.
Sometimes they request something at the last minute so I use my phone instead of having a laptop on my DJ table.
Get a life.

That's really interesting, yet seems pointless to be "all vinyl". Why would there be demand for something like that? The crowd typically could care less. Your so Hip with your all vinyl ways.
deezlee 5:41 PM - 8 October, 2018
I'm not hip I'm old
Mutis Mayfield 8:30 PM - 8 October, 2018
DVS on iPhone = djplayer pro. There are other solutions like cross but not sure about performance.

About your ttm57 the answer is no due it isn’t class compliant so no way to be used in iOS. Get an akai Amx (and maybe a portable turntable?) and your setup could be carried inside a small bag ;)
kip 10:42 AM - 9 October, 2018
Switching is a problem unless the soundcard is integrated in the mixer.
deezlee 2:47 PM - 9 October, 2018
Yeah they require a soundcard in the mixer.
kip 5:10 PM - 9 October, 2018
You can plug in Denon DS1 and play regular vinyl in thru mode in DJ Player, but I'm not sure how it affects sq and how the signal is handled - does it go ad-da or completely bypasses the phone. I think it goes ad-da.
pdidy 4:04 AM - 10 October, 2018
Quote:

That just does not seem to be Economical unless im missing something?
deezlee 4:04 PM - 10 October, 2018
$135 for a gig ( A LP of the random songs and a 45 for the first dance).
It's a lathe cut, not a pressing.
Average wedding around here is $1000, I charge $2000.
The main reason that I put the effort in is that I want clients that are really into the kind of thing that I provide (funk, soul, oldschool music off of records).
That way all of my wedding gigs are hella fun, I play music that I love for the people that appreciate it.

P.S. I don't make my whole income from wedding DJing, so I'm lucky to be able to do it how I want. As I grow my wedding DJ business I am making sure that it grows into a business where I still get to play gigs that I enjoy.

I definitely appreciate that these full time dudes have to approach it another way, or just want to because they are into different types of DJing, so I'm not hating on anyone's hustle!
deezlee 4:06 PM - 10 October, 2018
Quote:
You can plug in Denon DS1 and play regular vinyl in thru mode in DJ Player, but I'm not sure how it affects sq and how the signal is handled - does it go ad-da or completely bypasses the phone. I think it goes ad-da.

Thanks!
Can I run DJ Player as a DVS through that?
DJ JulioYEG 4:12 PM - 10 October, 2018
just use a ipad with edjing or cross dj
deezlee 4:24 PM - 10 October, 2018
I don't think Cross DJ is a DVS on iphone.
As far as I know the options are edjing or DJ player.

I just want to have a normal vinyl DJ setup plus DVS, but with an iphone instead of a laptop.
TTM57 woulda been best option if it was "class compliant" because that's a nice clean Rane mixer like I prefer (I use an Empath).

Or I'll need to look at other mixers with "class compliant" soundcards.

Installing a Denon DS1 in a Rane 56s would be pretty dope though if that would work.

I have an SL3 but it's not class compliant unless there's a firmware update that I didn't find.
DJ JulioYEG 4:26 PM - 10 October, 2018
im pretty sure my sl4 works with cross dj on mac
deezlee 4:30 PM - 10 October, 2018
I don't have it but this is cut n' pasted from their website:

"*DVS features only available in desktop version of Cross"
DJ JulioYEG 4:42 PM - 10 October, 2018
i think your asking for to much man best bet is just get a surface pro and pray you dont have issues
Mutis Mayfield 8:03 PM - 10 October, 2018
Quote:
i think your asking for to much man best bet is just get a surface pro and pray you dont have issues

Djplayer on iPhone is way better than any other dj software on surface. From touch experience to optimized code. I remember all of you that the first version of djplayer had DVS on iPad 1. That’s around iPhone 4 or older...
With ARM macs around the corner suggesting a surface is a joke (heat problems aside) but ATM an iPhone 5s or above will be more than enough to run djplayer and the gap is huge as day gone. Make your numbers...
deejayfatcat 9:57 PM - 10 October, 2018
I can really appreciate what you are doing by differentiating yourself and keeping it fun and sustainable for you. I operate a similar way myself.

I have used dj player dvs on an iPad and it will work similarly on an iPhone. The 2 devices that work best for that set up are the Denon ds1 and the Akai amx.

That aside, if it’s just for one or two songs per gig, it might make sense to just play them off your phone using djay without dvs though an aux channel on your 57.

Quote:
$135 for a gig ( A LP of the random songs and a 45 for the first dance).
It's a lathe cut, not a pressing.
Average wedding around here is $1000, I charge $2000.
The main reason that I put the effort in is that I want clients that are really into the kind of thing that I provide (funk, soul, oldschool music off of records).
That way all of my wedding gigs are hella fun, I play music that I love for the people that appreciate it.

P.S. I don't make my whole income from wedding DJing, so I'm lucky to be able to do it how I want. As I grow my wedding DJ business I am making sure that it grows into a business where I still get to play gigs that I enjoy.

I definitely appreciate that these full time dudes have to approach it another way, or just want to because they are into different types of DJing, so I'm not hating on anyone's hustle!
DJ JulioYEG 9:58 PM - 10 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Djplayer on iPhone is way better than any other dj software on surface. From touch experience to optimized code. I remember all of you that the first version of djplayer had DVS on iPad 1. That’s around iPhone 4 or older...
With ARM macs around the corner suggesting a surface is a joke (heat problems aside) but ATM an iPhone 5s or above will be more than enough to run djplayer and the gap is huge as day gone. Make your numbers...

your not understanding the point my g. if he uses a surface he can use ssl with his ttm LOL
deezlee 12:37 AM - 11 October, 2018
Yeah the Surfsce would be dope too.
So far the analog mixer / DS1 DJ player solution looks best for me.
Thanks y'all
kip 9:34 AM - 11 October, 2018
Quote:
Can I run DJ Player as a DVS through that?

Yes, it's class compliant. Only disadvantage I see is that you have to play your mostly vinyl sets thru the software just for being able to add few tracks from the phone here and there. You can use a/b switch per deck but it's more cables involved and possibly sq may suffer.
deezlee 3:24 PM - 11 October, 2018
Oh I see what you meant about the vinyl through.
Huh I'll look into that.
DJ JulioYEG 5:35 PM - 11 October, 2018
telin you ssl with the ttm on a surface and run your vinyl through the " through " mode on ssl
deezlee 7:03 PM - 11 October, 2018
any of the 7" windows tablets work you think? or other small ones?
i don't need to run the latest version of ssl or sdj, i just wanna play a few songs
DJ JulioYEG 7:24 PM - 11 October, 2018
i dont know much about windows anymore i stopped using there products after windows 8. as long as it has windows and a usb port you should be fine. i doubt you will run into issues when using it for what you want
Mr. Goodkat 4:33 AM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
As I grow my wedding DJ business I am making sure that it grows into a business where I still get to play gigs that I enjoy.

this is genius. i never wanted to do weddings but i guess if done correctly it could be fun
Mutis Mayfield 9:07 AM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

your not understanding the point my g. if he uses a surface he can use ssl with his ttm LOL

And you don’t get the OP point who is askimg for iPhone solution probably because he/she has already one and if not it’s possible to buy one cheaper than any surface and most reliable on stage than any windows machine /reLOL/ ;)
Mutis Mayfield 9:08 AM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Yeah the Surfsce would be dope too.
So far the analog mixer / DS1 DJ player solution looks best for me.
Thanks y'all

Chess.
Mutis Mayfield 9:11 AM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
i dont know much about windows anymore i stopped using there products after windows 8. as long as it has windows and a usb port you should be fine. i doubt you will run into issues when using it for what you want

Wtf? So you are advicing something you don’t use for working?
That’s genius...

Please @deezlee make yourself a favour and try both solutions before buy anything. Then make a decision. Almost I have tested those and talk with knowledge in my hand...
Mutis Mayfield 9:34 AM - 12 October, 2018
And for using ttm57 the best solution for similar price will be an old mac mini or similar. Even with low specs if you get one with snow leopard it will be most stable than any windows machine but for the same price you have the iPhone but you can’t use ttm57.

The point is different eras and for play few tunes in wedding the easy way probably is djay (not djplayer) or even pyro but again forget about tables.

Windows tablet solution are a no go because people trying to keep old hardware from Rane should made a jump long ago to avoid this pain but it hurts I know and Rane did the best in their time (but not the most compatible). To make ttm57 working with windows 8 (ouch) get ready for driver tooling... also be sure scren resolution works and pray for enough ram memory... why not just an old macbook or windows laptop? Almost you will had cover the screen and ram...

Too much hussle? Maybe an iPhone? Why not a piDeck....? Going nuts everything is possible...

It’s an mind loop itself trying to avoid actual situation. Maybe you should think twice about the other pieces instad iPhone/windows tablet... what about ditch the ttm57 just for home with a never-updated-anymore mac? I have some friends who did this jump few months ago from old macbook c2d ttm57 setup to something more new and sdj...

@djJulioYEG sorry for the madness but serato forum doesn’t let edit message and this windows tablet vs iPhone discussion pops time to time in most forums I visit (aside this) and makes me sad how brands are outdated in iOS landscape even it’s enough tested as powerful platform. Probably Apple will release the rumoured ARM mac (air or mini) with the next macOS release (2020) making all this no sense unnecessary when all the apps become cross-platform due it will not be more than one platoform (mac-iOS). The say “it’ not going to happen” but they usually lie to keep their roadmap occult and steps point in that direction sooner or later. So a good investment nowadays is going for class compliant hardware even in desktop/laptop field.

To the OP check akai amx or similar and consider update your whole setup. It’s not going to be like old trusty ttm57 but we aren’t in those times neither anymore. Sad but true.
Invest wisely and I hope you guys enjoy your gigs and setup. Times had changed and djing (and gear involved) had suffered some changes alongside. Losting the 2 turntables and a mic seems one of them for the “daily job” in most situations.
novakone 11:30 AM - 12 October, 2018
Did you just chug 50 Espressos?
DJ JulioYEG 1:50 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

That’s genius...

Please @deezlee make yourself a favour and try both solutions before buy anything. Then make a decision. Almost I have tested those and talk with knowledge in my hand...

listen here you goof, you have you own opinions and own agendas you wanna push thats cool. I dont use a surface because im a club dj unlike you who evidently spends his time workinh on Rasberry pis. Thats cool but thats nun of my bidness. now that we got that out of the way mr. i took a computer science class once lets talk about why i reccomended the surface. so i reccomended the surface because its portable it can be put flat and away easily and not look like a compter 2 because he doesnt need to use it all the time because hes a real dj not one who djs all his sets off a ipad. 3 because whats better than using the software the ttm 57 was developed for ( ssl native ) and 4 i dont need to have a surface to know that he can download ssl and plug in his ttm and have no issues anyways you can go back to your bedroom now mr dj. Oh and also the mini wont work because its a ttm 57 doesnt have a screen its not a 72 so the auto boot funcntion wont work because he wouldnt be able to load tracks unless he brings a monitor which is what he clearly wants to do. LOL
DJ JulioYEG 1:52 PM - 12 October, 2018
clearly does not want *
deezlee 4:05 PM - 12 October, 2018
I'm glad y'all are interested but it's simpler then all that.
I don't have a ttm57, I'm just looking into how I can run a couple songs on DVS on the sly.
I don't want people seeing a laptop or anything on my table that invites requests or takes away from the old-school look of my setup (turntables and 45 boxes).
If I ran a mini tablet I'd maybe install it in a 45 box or something.
Ideally I'd just plug my phone usb to the mixer for DVS.
novakone 4:07 PM - 12 October, 2018
Get a Rane 72 a Mac mini and use the screen on the 72 with no Mac screen
DJ JulioYEG 4:18 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:

+1
deezlee 4:19 PM - 12 October, 2018
Yeah a 72 with a Mac mini installed inside and with the multi colored light up buttons removed or something so it looked more classic would be dope if I was using Serato for my main music.

But I'm not.
I just wanna be able to buy a song on iTunes.
Then play it off my phone. (Or I guess Mini tablet if the phone would require switching to a wack mixer)
But instead of using a 1/8 cord and no DVS. I'd use a USB cord and DVS.

So so far it seems like analog mixer and denon soundcard with DJ player on iPhone
Or ttm57 w a Windows mini tablet.
deezlee 4:20 PM - 12 October, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions though!
kip 4:26 PM - 12 October, 2018
If new mixer is an option then Xone PX5 is class compliant. Also 23C should work in theory but has to be confirmed. Check some other mixers for class compliance.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 4:48 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+ 1,000,000
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 4:50 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Yeah a 72 with a Mac mini installed inside and with the multi colored light up buttons removed or something so it looked more classic would be dope if I was using Serato for my main music.

But I'm not.
Then play it off my phone. (Or I guess Mini tablet if the phone would require switching to a wack mixer)

So so far it seems like analog mixer and denon soundcard with DJ player on iPhone

HEY GUY! Just have one cue point for each track. You will look so "classic" and make sure to use black Serato Control Vinyls and get new stickers to cover the "Serato" logo. You will be soooo classic, and soooo hip, and soooo original, and sooooo I give up. Let's be honest we have suggested incredible options and you have turned them all down.

Just continue buying everything on vinyl and GTFO.
DJ JulioYEG 5:04 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

But I'm not.

HEY GUY! Just have one cue point for each track. You will look so "classic" and make sure to use black Serato Control Vinyls and get new stickers to cover the "Serato" logo. You will be soooo classic, and soooo hip, and soooo original, and sooooo I give up. Let's be honest we have suggested incredible options and you have turned them all down.

Just continue buying everything on vinyl and GTFO.
its not even him its mr computer science class over there on my dick
deezlee 5:06 PM - 12 October, 2018
Yeah thanks for letting me know the best iphone DVS and if it would work on a ttm57, you were really helpful.

Like Dre said "If you diss Dre you diss yourself, motherfucker"
Your instinct to put others down just shows how little confidence that you have in your own self worth.

Keep telling yourself that your approach is superior, you can read your posts again and again to pump yourself up but eventually you have to leave the computer and face your real role in life. Good luck!
deezlee 5:07 PM - 12 October, 2018
(my last post was to Aptiffa or whatever his name was last time)
DJ JulioYEG 5:07 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Yeah thanks for letting me know the best iphone DVS and if it would work on a ttm57, you were really helpful.

Like Dre said "If you diss Dre you diss yourself, motherfucker"
Your instinct to put others down just shows how little confidence that you have in your own self worth.

Keep telling yourself that your approach is superior, you can read your posts again and again to pump yourself up but eventually you have to leave the computer and face your real role in life. Good luck!

lol is this directed at me??
DJ JulioYEG 5:08 PM - 12 October, 2018
loool use quotes next time
deezlee 5:09 PM - 12 October, 2018
naw, y'all are being real helpful.
actually you and the dude you are arguing with both dialed me with good info
DJ JulioYEG 5:31 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
actually you and the dude you are arguing with both dialed me with good info[/quote no worries bro good luck
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:15 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:

Thanks Deezlee, that's why were here buddy. We are always here to help ;-)
Mutis Mayfield 7:55 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That’s genius...

listen here you goof, you have you own opinions and own agendas you wanna push thats cool. I dont use a surface because im a club dj unlike you who evidently spends his time workinh on Rasberry pis. Thats cool but thats nun of my bidness. now that we got that out of the way mr. i took a computer science class once lets talk about why i reccomended the surface. so i reccomended the surface because its portable it can be put flat and away easily and not look like a compter 2 because he doesnt need to use it all the time because hes a real dj not one who djs all his sets off a ipad. 3 because whats better than using the software the ttm 57 was developed for ( ssl native ) and 4 i dont need to have a surface to know that he can download ssl and plug in his ttm and have no issues anyways you can go back to your bedroom now mr dj. Oh and also the mini wont work because its a ttm 57 doesnt have a screen its not a 72 so the auto boot funcntion wont work because he wouldnt be able to load tracks unless he brings a monitor which is what he clearly wants to do. LOL

I just excuse myself earlier so read again to understand my background, /bro/.
Anyways in the end helpful info from discussion that’s what this is all about.
Mutis Mayfield 8:38 PM - 12 October, 2018
Quote:

Thanks.
Can you give us feedback when you make a decision or with troubles you found. Maybe you will help other professionals.
scupakus 3:37 PM - 28 November, 2018
so what is the best iphone to dvs?