DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer DDJ SX3

JDforKing 8:09 PM - 2 October, 2018
For those who've purchased or used a pioneer ddi sx3 how is everything presently working out for you? I know when it initially hit the market there were problems. I'm wondering if Pioneer or Serato have helped to correct the problems that people encountered?
djaflex 6:26 PM - 8 October, 2018
I bought mine in july and still having problems even after getting it back from the service recall. I used it for a wedding this past weekend and the output cutout AGAIN and the controller lights went off. Also, one of the LED lights on the pads would stay dimly on which is pretty annoying. Sometimes the track's will jump like 32-64 bars ahead by itself too. It's like the SX3 has a mind of it's own. Pretty absurd.
JDforKing 7:23 PM - 8 October, 2018
Thanks for the info.......I’m going to stay away from it for now
Gio Alex 10:47 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:
I bought mine in july and still having problems even after getting it back from the service recall. I used it for a wedding this past weekend and the output cutout AGAIN and the controller lights went off. Also, one of the LED lights on the pads would stay dimly on which is pretty annoying. Sometimes the track's will jump like 32-64 bars ahead by itself too. It's like the SX3 has a mind of it's own. Pretty absurd.

Yikes, that's scary.
DeeJay*CASPER 3:54 AM - 9 October, 2018
I bought mine in July and absolutely no problems (shrugs).
Works fine and according to Pioneer I have the first version. I hear about these problems people have but its been rock solid for me (again shrugs).

NOW for the part I don't like...
it's basically a SZ(2) in a SX body.........I never liked the SZ mainly because of the fader effects system. What I mean is when you have your crossfader in the middle and hit a sound FX(drops) it's double loud. Also if you hit echo FX on a channel and bring your channel fader down the echo goes down with it.
Always hated SZ's for that.

BUT other than that, works great for me.
djaflex 7:22 PM - 9 October, 2018
Quote:
Works fine and according to Pioneer I have the first version. I hear about these problems people have but its been rock solid for me (again shrugs).

it's basically a SZ(2) in a SX body.........I never liked the SZ mainly because of the fader effects system. What I mean is when you have your crossfader in the middle and hit a sound FX(drops) it's double loud. Also if you hit echo FX on a channel and bring your channel fader down the echo goes down with it.

Hey Casper how long are you running the SX3 for in a given event? Mine starts bugging out around the 3rd hour of playing music.
Alpha Unit 8:46 PM - 9 October, 2018
Had mine about a month now. Used it at a few events running a minimum of 4hours. So far no issues with playback. However I have noticed where some of the pads are sometimes dimly lit. As long as it's not affecting my ability to play I'm good. I also hate that same issue Casper mentions with regard to samples being extra loud when crossfader is in the middle. That suck no matter which player it happens on and it seems to happen on all of them.
Shocase 12:56 AM - 11 October, 2018
I ran it for about 5-6 hour event with no problems. I will say when I first got it, I had issues with the controls and pads, but after a midi reset, everything was fine. Right after that event, I ended sending back to Pioneer for the "recall"....I got it back about 2 weeks ago..no issues to date.
DeeJay*CASPER 8:18 PM - 11 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Casper how long are you running the SX3 for in a given event? Mine starts bugging out around the 3rd hour of playing music.

probably like 4-6 hours at a wedding or whatever......no issues

the only other issue I've seen(not my problem because I stay up to date) but if you have an old OS, running an older version of DJ, or using a Core Duo processor.....SX3 is NOT for you

my backup laptop is a mid-2010 MBP with Core Duo and the SX3 connects fine but I've never let it run for more than a few minutes.
djizz1 10:07 PM - 11 October, 2018
Quote:

probably like 4-6 hours at a wedding or whatever......no issues

the only other issue I've seen(not my problem because I stay up to date) but if you have an old OS, running an older version of DJ, or using a Core Duo processor.....SX3 is NOT for you

my backup laptop is a mid-2010 MBP with Core Duo and the SX3 connects fine but I've never let it run for more than a few minutes.

I have a mid 2010 MBP and I'm using the SX3, and I've actually have ran it for more then 6hrs that includes video mixing as well and I haven't had a problem with it at all. well..... only three other things so far that I've noticed was that if you touch the top the platter to speed up or slow down your track its not as as smooth as in the SX2(I have played with the controllers sensitivity to see the difference and there is none I can have it all the way up or down and there is no difference) it can skip ahead, and sound like there is no Master tempo on so you can hear it speed and slow down big time. Also a big thing that I hate is you can not use (shift) on one deck and control other things on the other while pressing any (shift)on any deck. oh and that it automatically assumes that you want to use scratch mode since the beginning but so far those are my problems that I have noticed I do like the SX3 not only because you can use two computers. But because it is a smaller version of the SZ2 and not just more practical (lighter and fits in small places) but affordable compared to the older brother.
DeeJay*CASPER 12:29 AM - 26 November, 2018
Quote:

WELP!! there goes the good track record out the window last night. I finally experienced the crash everyone is talking about......all the lights went out and couldn't control the platters but all the outputs worked you could still hear the music and microphone even when unplugged(shrugs). I eventually had to restart Serato dj and unplug and replug the power to the sx3 and everything worked fine afterwards.

I updated the firmware today and contacted Pioneer so hopefully they can help me.
benictrs 4:03 PM - 26 November, 2018
I own the SZ2 & SX3 ( the version with the black dot next to the serial number )
I must be a lucky user . Never had anny trouble with either of them . The sx3 works like a charm using 2.0.5 and th SZ2 likewhise .
I use them at weddings , corporate events and Pub’s . Never had an issue .
The sx3 sounds better than the sx2 but not quite as good as the SZ2 .
I realy hope that they don’t release the sz3 to soon i just bought the SZ2 in late august :)
JDforKing 6:10 PM - 27 November, 2018
I want to pull the trigger but I'm still not confident. I need a new controller and would like to buy it before the end of the year. The Denon Mc7000 is the only comparable controller on the market but I trust pioneer more.
djaflex 5:10 PM - 6 December, 2018
quote]I want to pull the trigger but I'm still not confident. I need a new controller and would like to buy it before the end of the year. The Denon Mc7000 is the only comparable controller on the market but I trust pioneer more.

I got my SX3 back after the 2nd time around of returning it. I think they just sent me a new one with the black dot. So far no issues. Coming from turntables/s9 & an SZ, I like the fact that SX3 is portable and a smaller footprint. The audio quality that everyone talks about wasn't much the issue for me. (the FX HP/LP filters don't sound as good though that's for sure). My gripe with the SX3 is
1. POS defect the first time around. I have PTSD using this thing at events.
2. Sometimes the last bottom right pads light up in an off white color randomly and then disappears.
3. The volume faders are unbelievably stiff and tension is very tight. I'm hesitant on spraying any contact fader spray on the SX3 because I'm so skeptical with it crapping out for any reason.
4. The jog wheel feels... odd compared to my SZ?. Not sure how it compares to the sx2 though.

Honestly if I were in your position, I'd just get a new/good condition SX2, save the few extra hundred bucks and know it'll work. Or just get an SZ/SZ2. I'm a bit sad to have let go of my SZ for the SX3. Coming from turntables and CDJs the SZ felt good to work with and the SX3 feels like a toy to me. Also still skeptical of my SX3 and have a worry in the back of my mind after what happened. I had to get the SX3 due to the smaller footprint since I added more lights/sub so I needed the space for my vehicle.
Deejay Tokyo 3:48 PM - 5 December, 2019
Ever since I bought my sx3 I’ve been having issues each time I connect to some lighting areas .. it’s either the wheel jog hangs or the play button hooks and one of the deck seize till I have to restart or reopen the seratoDj pro again .. but when I’m using direct generator light I don’t encounter such issues .. I attend some other events and if I try to connect to the light I get such result .. I don’t know why lights in some location keeps affecting it performance.. the jog seize and even when I press the play button it’s doesn't work .. Plss what is the solution
Nikola007 10:50 PM - 7 December, 2019
Hi. i have had a dangerous problem for a long time .. especially now lately..I have a DDJ SX3. I'm working on serato .. Win 10 .. the latest version of serato did all the updates .. now what's going on ..

The music goes, the sound just disappears as if someone had dropped my channel. The tape goes to the computer all normal ?? But at that moment, I can't tape the tape. The controller does not listen until the sound returns .. and it takes about 4-5 seconds .. sometimes it happens to be ejected 2 times during a party and sometimes like now for the last couple of days every 30 seconds .. I couldn't work at all. But there are days and when it works out, it confuses me. And it doesn't happen on the same lanes, no rules anymore .. and one more thing, last night I noticed when it stopped, the channels were down. I worked on Boot, and the Boot remained amplified for some 30 - 40% irrelevant, the channels were shore but the music was heard ?? So there is a hell of a .. I don't understand what's going on? I can't solve the problem.
DJ Varmintbaby 3:54 AM - 9 December, 2019
Quote:

Can't you tell Serato what channel to put the FX out on? I thought that was a feature of the software?
Appliance Repair Beaumont 11:08 PM - 10 December, 2019
It's working out for me great! I did a show for the team at beaumontappliancerepair.com and everyone liked the sound. My noob DJing on the other hand needs some work.
dj_soo 1:48 AM - 11 December, 2019
Fuck offfffff
DJ Unique 6:04 AM - 11 December, 2019
Quote:
Fuck offfffff

LOL

Stupid spammers suck
DJ RYAN SMITH 3:52 PM - 3 March, 2020
Less than 1 Year ago I bought a DDJ SX-3 & The Middle 2 Channel Faders are already dropping out at max volume down a few DB. In order to fix the problem live I have to lower the fader to bring back the level. I had this issue with both The DDJSX-1 and DDJSX-2 but not for 2 to 3 years into me using it. Disappointing Pioneer Product!