DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Should I Upgrade My DJM-909?

DJLastCall 2:14 AM - 26 September, 2018
I just started DJing a few months ago and having been spinning open format/house in my bedroom on a pair of Reloop 8000s and DJM-909 mixer, but I'm interested in starting to play out at local bars and clubs here in San Diego/LA.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to upgrade to a DJM-900NXS or Pioneer S9 mixer? Almost every club/bar has a 900/800 so I believe it might be best to practice on industry standard equipment at home so I can make a seamless transition vs. showing up to a gig and having to learn a totally new mixer (or worse, bringing my own!).

I see guys like DJ Obscene and A-Trak killing it on CDJs/900 so I know it's possible...

Also, I see a lot of RANE Sixty-two mixers going for cheap now, do you think that would be a worthwhile upgrade?
DJ JulioYEG 2:38 AM - 26 September, 2018
you dont need industry standard equipment your only a few months in and splurging on that mixer might be temtping but its not worth it. only reason i own cdjs and a nexus mixer is bc of my mobile company and the constant income and jobs coming from it. if your just starting out get jobs first and make money. how ever if you are convinced to buy something the 62 is a excellent mixer and a couple clubs where im at still use it over the s9 so its a good choice. imo i wouldnt buy anything but up to you check out other djs opinions tho just my 2 cents
HighTopFade 2:56 AM - 26 September, 2018
If the 900 is the local standard, it may be worth the investment if you can get one on the cheap.
Taipanic 6:31 PM - 26 September, 2018
If you can afford it the 900 NXSII is worth it if you plan on playing more clubs and festival type events. The biggest benefit to you is you will have more time learning how to use its FX well, which have become the standard in clubs and stages worldwide. If you are mostly doing House & Club music a 4 channel mixer is generally preferred over a 2 channel mixer, like the S9.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:57 PM - 26 September, 2018
Pioneer is cool, I have had a few of their mixers. However Rane has always done me right. I would search around for a used Rane.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:56 AM - 27 September, 2018
If you get a Rane you can do shit like this

streamable.com
17tr2 12:04 PM - 27 September, 2018
Quote:
Pioneer is cool, I have had a few of their mixers. However Rane has always done me right. I would search around for a used Rane.

You hate Pioneer. I've read literally hundreds of your posts where you trash them. What changed?
DJ JulioYEG 3:00 PM - 27 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

You hate Pioneer. I've read literally hundreds of your posts where you trash them. What changed?

i dont think hes app bc app got his forum sanctions removed
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 3:24 PM - 27 September, 2018
Quote:
If you get a Rane you can do shit like this

streamable.com

LOL that is awesome and a great reason for a Rane!
17tr2 4:52 PM - 27 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i dont think hes app bc app got his forum sanctions removed

I know its him. But you're right, he was banned but this is his new account.
DJLastCall 10:58 PM - 28 September, 2018
Back on track:

If you guys show up to a gig, how often do they have a S9? How often do they have a 62? A 900?

Does most (non-hip-hop) clubs even have battle mixers any more?
DJLastCall 11:02 PM - 28 September, 2018
And how much do you think the 62 will go down in the next 2-3 months since the 72 is out?

I can get one for $700, or I can save up another $150 and get the 900NXS...
Mr. Goodkat 5:16 PM - 29 September, 2018
i love my 62, but i never see it.

if i had the money id have a 62 and 900.

i'm personally thinking about going back to a 900. I had an srt and it was fine. I still love the rane sound, because SSL sounds great and SDJ sounds better on ranes than pioneers. That being said, if you are playing record pool mp3s, it can only sound so good.

Pioneer + cdj 2000s with wav files sounds amazing though (imo)