DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need a Few Starter Song Suggestions for a Unique Upscale, Classy Event

DJ_Dave 2:30 AM - 23 September, 2018
Hello,

I’ve been hired to DJ a four hour upscale corporate event to play “elegant, classy, sophisticated” upbeat background music. The event is quite unique as a brand new Honda Jet, Acura NSX, Ferrari, and Audi will be in and around the DJ booth set up in an airplane hanger. The age of the crowd will be between 30 and 65 consisting mostly of high net worth men, and perhaps 30% women. Please suggest a few songs that you would play at an event like this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
DJ Dave
Mr. Goodkat 11:40 PM - 23 September, 2018
you've got 25 yrs of experience, you'll be fine, just don't turn it up too loud.
Comrade Tulayev 9:31 AM - 24 September, 2018
The Coup - The Guillotine
577er 1:28 PM - 24 September, 2018
Ha, classic middle management speak for don’t embarrass our clients with rap music. I’ve done events for Honda - Chico Mann comes to mind as what would work. For Ferrari tropical house and associated wordless new loungy / chill yet clubby sounds. Like new new new Spotify for euro pool party playlist stuff. The executives don’t give a shit about the music, the smal army of young women sourrounding them are the ones paying attention, maybe.
DJ_Dave 4:28 PM - 24 September, 2018
Hey Guys, thanks for the suggestions. I too was considering throwing in some tropical house, and a few loungy goods. The funny thing is NO music was suggested in the "must play" section on my contract, but they did clearly specify NO rap or hip hop in the "do not play" section. 577er you know this stuff. :-)
Comrade Tulayev 4:53 PM - 24 September, 2018
Crass - Owe us a Living
Comrade Tulayev 4:55 PM - 24 September, 2018
Motorhead - Eat the Rich
dj_soo 6:45 PM - 24 September, 2018
Probably just means no big edm or rap bangers, stay away from the cheese, and watch the language.

Tropical, and chiller house styles would probably work.

Jazzy influenced tunes too
Taipanic 8:56 PM - 24 September, 2018
I would be leaning towards Deep House and House remakes of classic tracks by Sade, Steely Dan, Janet Jackson, etc...
SUBSTANCE 8:23 PM - 24 October, 2018
I read the brief & heard non-descript house music in my head.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 11:10 PM - 24 October, 2018
I'm going to your event, see you there!
DJ JulioYEG 6:02 PM - 1 November, 2018
Quote:
I'm going to your event, see you there!

LOL
Ollie 4:50 PM - 3 November, 2018
deep house. Look for some remixes of currents songs in Deep house. Maybe throw in some Teriyaki Boyz Tokyo Drift music to offset it vibe if it becomes repetitive .lol
your momma 2:15 AM - 4 November, 2018
play lots of drake and wayne.
GrandDad 10:13 PM - 14 November, 2018
How does a gig like that pay? Commensurate with the cost of the goods being hawked or commensurate with the disdain 1%ers have for the proletariat?
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:53 PM - 19 November, 2018
Quote:
How does a gig like that pay? Commensurate with the cost of the goods being hawked or commensurate with the disdain 1%ers have for the proletariat?

How does any gig pay? Poorly....