DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Schools for DJing

Paul Benitez 3:02 PM - 20 September, 2018
Do any of you recommend anyone to go to a DJ school? Are they really worth it or is it better to learn as you go?

If they are worth going to, does anyone know of a good DJ school in Las Vegas?
doop 7:42 PM - 20 September, 2018
First, learn music theory. Learn about beats and bars and keys and phrases.

Next, assemble a library of songs YOU want to play, then figure out how they fit together. You'll have an easier time of it if you grab the extended (12") mix of a song instead of the radio / single (7") mix.

Finally, learn to beatmatch.

That covers pretty much anything a DJ school will teach you in the first few months. You can find the requisite lessons on youtube for free.
Despo 9:10 PM - 20 September, 2018
Why bother learning how to dj, seen so many djs trainwrecking while earning 3000€ a night it makes me sad. Get connections and learn how to market yourself
Paul Benitez 6:59 PM - 21 September, 2018
I was wondering this since I'm moving from just to production to production and DJing. I've only had my controllers for about a year and I'm getting the hang of using all the different functions of a controller. It has been a real awakening for me in the production area since I now have a functional understanding of the equipment but I want to expand my knowledge and I'm one of the "hands-on" learning type of people.

I can only learn so much with videos as I learned using Ableton. But sometimes having someone there with you to help answer questions, without the put-downs and general harassment I get from being a beginner that I get from other forums, is helpful.
Ves 10:48 AM - 23 September, 2018
Rather than a DJ school try to connect with local DJs and try to learn from them.

There is nothing bad about DJ schools (depending on the country and city) as you'll get valuable info from DJs that have actually performed as club/event/tour DJs and can tell you stuff they experienced.
The Real Dj Danger 9:12 PM - 23 September, 2018
I agree with Ves. Connect with dj's. I got thrown into it, I was the lighting technician, dj walked in and quit one night. I knew all the music and how to operate the equipment. Boss said " you're up, try to keep them here". It's history from there, I had ZERO equipment at my home to practice, ALL of my practice, lol, and train wrecks were always done in front of 700 to 1000 people. The nights i wasn't spinning, I was at other clubs, watching other dj's.

I'm not saying don't go to a school, but, I think if you are familiar with how music is composed, you should have no problems at all learning. Also, a suggestion only. In my opinion, you should try and get a pair of turntables , and try to learn to mix with them, and on your serrate, or whatever software you intend to use, TURN OFF THE WAVEFILES. This will force you to use your ears, and not your eyes to mix.
Paul Benitez 3:26 PM - 24 September, 2018
Thank you all for this input. I currently have a DDJ-SR. I have been practicing as much as I am able. And I will try to find other DJs in my area that are not "too busy" to talk to me and see what I can glean from them.

I also see this as an opportunity to see if I can be part of a DJ crew, I believe it's called, and better my chances of performing.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 5:33 PM - 22 October, 2018
Schools are no Bueno. I would know I dropped out of Elementary and taught myself everything I know. I started pushin packs and runnin my hood like a G.
YZ 2:14 PM - 25 October, 2018
DJ Schools..... lol.