Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Windows users are second class DJs!

Christ beats I. 9:26 AM - 20 September, 2018
It seems that windows users are second only to Mac users when it comes to Serato and properly most other DJ software. Its a questionable ethic on so many grounds when you consider that most of the bigger shifts in popular music come from the poorer majority of people in this present world. Regardless to say that Serato reputedly are working on the known fault in windows version where track analysing in the recently released SDJ Pro 64bit runs at a snails pace (although it took a while for Serato to admit there was a problem). There is no doubt that Mac is 1st in all aspects of the DJ software business of which may drive sub culture in rebellion to such exclusivity to flourish but then in the end will probably all morph into Mac users any way, money eh!. It maybe the lack of brains or money or both at Serato HQ that's leading to a cost cut in the software development I am personally not sure but either way if Serato keep their word then we should see a fix for window usuers soon and have 32bit speeds with 64 bit version when analysing...not holding my breath though!
YZ 2:30 PM - 20 September, 2018
They are 2nd class users, facts. Simple solution, save up and buy a Mac if you want to use their software, that's what it was developed to run on regardless if they say it's compatible or not. It has and always has ran much better natively on a mac than on a pc... since Day 1. Why you guys bother to overlook the facts is on you. Secondly, they don't owe you or anyone sh*t. You're still buying it, others still use it. Is that cool? Prob not, but that's the truth of the matter. Complaining here will get you nowhere so yea, don't hold your breath. It will take a complete rewrite of their app to get a native windows edition, not gonna happen anytime soon.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:56 PM - 20 September, 2018
How is Virtual DJ, Traktor and Rekordboxdj able to ensure that their program runs with minimal difference across the two OS

Just curious?
DjSyndic8 6:00 PM - 20 September, 2018
If your serious about DJing invest in a Mac trust me on this
17tr2 6:23 PM - 20 September, 2018
A couple of months ago I responded to a thread where a Windows user was having an issue I previously had. Of course, there was the usual list of "buy a Mac" responses. I knew this wasn't a Windows issue, so I did a quick search and found a bunch of Mac users posting with the same exact problem. I politely referenced them (I didn't do it Aptidda style, or anything), and was either ignored, or told that I didn't know what I was talking about.

What gets me is why? Why pretend that Mac's don't have the same issues, if its true? It doesn't help anyone. Now I just stick with Serato issues. I leave the OS specific issues for other sites.
Comrade Tulayev 6:45 PM - 20 September, 2018
Quote:
A couple of months ago I responded to a thread where a Windows user was having an issue I previously had. Of course, there was the usual list of "buy a Mac" responses. I knew this wasn't a Windows issue, so I did a quick search and found a bunch of Mac users posting with the same exact problem. I politely referenced them (I didn't do it Aptidda style, or anything), and was either ignored, or told that I didn't know what I was talking about.

What gets me is why? Why pretend that Mac's don't have the same issues, if its true? It doesn't help anyone. Now I just stick with Serato issues. I leave the OS specific issues for other sites.

+1

all this mac Vs PC nonsense is boring and juvenile
DjSyndic8 6:58 PM - 20 September, 2018
Quote:

we are not saying that Macs are free from serato issue we are saying that windows users complain a lot about the same issues that are known to be better on Mac then it is on windows like the jittery wave issue with serato everyone knows that windows has this issue and Mac doesn't, and its not just serato its music production apps overall, Mac has the upper hand and its not a computer hardware thing cause Macs and Windows laptop use the same hardware, to me its a Operating system that makes it OSX is much more stable and better then Windows, example if you hackintosh a windows laptop you will see the difference.
Comrade Tulayev 6:59 PM - 20 September, 2018
bollocks
DjSyndic8 7:01 PM - 20 September, 2018
Quote:
bollocks

knobbend! is this a wordgame?
Comrade Tulayev 7:02 PM - 20 September, 2018
I'm disagreeing with your idiotic Mac worship
DjSyndic8 7:06 PM - 20 September, 2018
Quote:
I'm disagreeing with your idiotic Mac worship

agree to disagree but imagine how quite serato threads will be without windows issues lol
I used to be one of people complaining but when I purchased a MB pro back in in 2012 I was so happy I didn't have to deal with the windows issues and my Mac is still going hard. everything else I use for windows but I use Mac for DJing
DjSyndic8 7:10 PM - 20 September, 2018
also maybe a lot of the Hatred is towards the fact that Macs cost so much and some people cant afford it and settle for windows and direct their anger towards Serato and other Mac users? could this be the case why members are upset?
Comrade Tulayev 7:22 PM - 20 September, 2018
get over yourself ffs
doop 7:51 PM - 20 September, 2018
Quote:
all this mac Vs PC nonsense is boring and juvenile

As someone who uses macOS, Windows, Linux, etc. concurrently, I can confirm that you're absolutely right. They're all just PC operating systems, and they're all total garbage.
17tr2 7:56 PM - 20 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

we are not saying that Macs are free from serato issue we are saying that windows users complain a lot about the same issues that are known to be better on Mac then it is on windows like the jittery wave issue with serato everyone knows that windows has this issue and Mac doesn't, and its not just serato its music production apps overall, Mac has the upper hand and its not a computer hardware thing cause Macs and Windows laptop use the same hardware, to me its a Operating system that makes it OSX is much more stable and better then Windows, example if you hackintosh a windows laptop you will see the difference.

"Yes I have a mid 2015 MacBook Pro and I'm having issues since Serato DJ Pro with stuttering waveforms and I've deleted everything and rebooted my Mac and nothing has helped."

"First post but figured I would share. Ever since I upgraded past 2.0 I've been getting that waveform glitch, I've followed others recommendation on using the 32 bit version, turning off Hi Res, PNT, etc etc, and even downgrading back to 1.9.10. Finally I got tired of it, and formatted my hard drive and downgraded the OS back to Sierra. I've installed the 32bit version and won't be bothering testing the 64bit version as I have way too many important events coming up and just needed my laptop to be solid. After a couple hours of testing it is all functioning smoothly now. Unfortunately I can't pin point what was causing the issue, or what fixed it. But figured I would share for those that may be experiencing what I was."

"I have Macbook with that specs as my main laptop for Djing, it didn't gave me headache eversince I bought it. My only concern is after Serato DJ updated its software beyond 1.7.8 the waveform was a little bit jittery, but SDJ never crashed on me ever."

"Just want to know if anyone has experienced the same issue with Waveform stuttering after the update to High Sierra?."

"I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro (it's a beast with full 16 gigs ram) and the waveforms are still jittery...so there's that👌🏻"

"Has anyone had Serato DJ Pro screen flicker/jump/lag during a performance? I have used DJ Pro 2.0 on two different systems and encountered the screen flash/flicker/lag a few times. The music did not stop and it did not seem to affect playback but it doesn't seem stable visually.

Running 2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar, 3.1GHz, 16GB Ram and 2TB SSD Drive. The mac daddy of the MacBook Pros so I know it's not the computer."

You did say this: "we are not saying that Macs are free from serato issue we are saying that windows users complain a lot about the same issues that are known to be better on Mac then it is on windows like the jittery wave issue with serato everyone knows that windows has this issue and Mac doesn't,"

So now you are going to tell me all these people are making these problems up? Maybe they are just Windows posters making up stories.
popnwave 10:33 PM - 20 September, 2018
OP posts this stuff every couple of months.

Not sure if he's technically naive or what, just ignore him.
DjSyndic8 12:08 AM - 21 September, 2018
Quote:
get over yourself ffs

yeah along time ago I got over windows and Im as happy as a DJ can be,
the reason why things are running smooth for me is because Ive rectified my issues by myself through trial and error and also research,
instead of coming on this forum and bitching about it and expect serato to drop everything and attend to you and your negative and abusive antics.
if you cant fix your technical issues then you should just give up DJing, also grow up and learn how to have an adult conversation.

17tr2 same goes to you too whats the point in getting angry with other DJs opinion? is that going to help towards fixing your issue, Go online research and try and fix your issues cause obviously your doing something wrong? if your spending tons of cash on Mac laptops and you still have issues,

Quote:

Ive ignored you because you chime in just to cause trouble around here, you have nothing constructive to say, you try and spark up a fight every time you comment, just for an audience
popnwave 2:29 AM - 21 September, 2018
Quote:

Ive ignored you because you chime in just to cause trouble around here, you have nothing constructive to say, you try and spark up a fight every time you comment, just for an audience

I'm talking about the ORIGINAL POSTER, learn to read, comprehend, and contribute.
DjSyndic8 2:59 AM - 21 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I'm talking about the ORIGINAL POSTER, learn to read, comprehend, and contribute.

sorry ma bad.
Comrade Tulayev 9:24 AM - 21 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
get over yourself ffs

yeah along time ago I got over windows and Im as happy as a DJ can be,
the reason why things are running smooth for me is because Ive rectified my issues by myself through trial and error and also research,
instead of coming on this forum and bitching about it and expect serato to drop everything and attend to you and your negative and abusive antics.
if you cant fix your technical issues then you should just give up DJing, also grow up and learn how to have an adult conversation.

17tr2 same goes to you too whats the point in getting angry with other DJs opinion? is that going to help towards fixing your issue, Go online research and try and fix your issues cause obviously your doing something wrong? if your spending tons of cash on Mac laptops and you still have issues,

Quote:

I don't have any technical issues on Windows. It works fine.

You seem to have a superiority complex, it's very dull.
david07 10:11 AM - 21 September, 2018
windows is a garbage to work with serato
John Calipari 12:10 PM - 21 September, 2018
Gamers & CAD designers, who own Macs have been arguing this from the other direction for decades only to fall on the deaf ears of Apple. It's not the Videogame Industries fault.

Likewise, the onus isn't on the Ableton, Avid, Serato nor Traktor. Try complaining to Microsoft to make a Windows OS that handles media efficiently and to stop obsessing over touch screens used by teenage girls running Bee Keeping businesses in their commercials.
mixgoonie 12:49 PM - 21 September, 2018
That is very funny, last week-end wedding party, the DJ Macbook simply crashed due to a file download. Serato DJ 1.95 with DVS on Pioneer hardware.

I really laught a lot because with my poor old Intel Core i5 dell laptops have never crashed and do perform very well doing both tasks together....

But indeed, go pay something much more expensive ;)
17tr2 2:32 PM - 21 September, 2018
"17tr2 same goes to you too whats the point in getting angry with other DJs opinion? is that going to help towards fixing your issue, Go online research and try and fix your issues cause obviously your doing something wrong? if your spending tons of cash on Mac laptops and you still have issues,"

Did you even read my post before you responded? Where did I say I was getting mad at other DJ's because I don't agree with them? I didn't. I was having a hard time trying to figure out why Mac fans would pretend they don't have some of the same problems that Windows users have.

To be honest, I was very surprised when you literally proved my point. You claim that only Windows machines have problems with waveforms stuttering. A simple search proved the opposite. Plenty of users with both OS's have this problem. and I provided a few examples. You probably post more than anyone else on this entire site, so you can't tell me you've never heard of any Mac complaints. In fact, you were posting in several threads that I quoted. So, you either have an extremely poor memory, or you're just not being truthful for some reason. Either way, that's why go to other sites for OS issues. Bias gets in the way of reality.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:33 PM - 21 September, 2018
Quote:
...to stop obsessing over touch screens used by teenage girls running Bee Keeping businesses in their commercials.

😄
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:39 PM - 21 September, 2018
Since El Capitan my impression is that Mac users Serato issues increased.

I have both systems.

No major issues with my barebones Windows machine.

The only difference I have observed is Mac issues seem to have straight forward troubleshooting. The same solution you recommend for DJ Vinjay using a Mac in Calcutta is applicable to DJ Petr in Slovakia.

Windows is a different kettle of fish
popnwave 4:17 PM - 21 September, 2018
El Cap's audio changes and the introduction of the TouchBar in 2016 have really knocked down Apple's reliability in the audio realm.
Mr. Goodkat 7:06 PM - 21 September, 2018
Quote:
That is very funny, last week-end wedding party, the DJ Macbook simply crashed due to a file download. Serato DJ 1.95 with DVS on Pioneer hardware.

thats user error
david07 7:10 PM - 22 September, 2018
If we talk about audio problems, Windows is the first
mac is a more stable system
DjSyndic8 4:49 AM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:

I agree its crap with serato but good with day to day use

Quote:
Quote:

thats user error

agree most issues are caused by silly lil issues that are not related to the laptop

Quote:

ongoing argument that is never going to end bro starting to think if this thread is constructive at all, just window users losing their shit cause they don't own a Mac.
I think its time for Serato Mods to shut this thread down,
mixgoonie 5:57 AM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

thats user error

It is but I've done it several times without issues on my old windows 10 laptops.

I was very surprised that such a good reputation laptop as a MacBook could crash. Until now, on all my parties that I've seen, the only where it crashed is MacBook.

Asio is clearly not as good a Coreaudio but it seems to do the job as all of my latest parties have been serzto with a pc ;)
david07 10:15 AM - 23 September, 2018
I just from experience, I have used windows and osx and in windows I have had more problems and I speak of the same laptop
mixgoonie 10:17 AM - 23 September, 2018
With a bootcamp then you mean ?
david07 10:18 AM - 23 September, 2018
or one of two serato has not developed well the soft for pc or the so Windows is not ready for the audio
RR437T 1:09 PM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I agree its crap with serato but good with day to day use

Quote:
Quote:

thats user error

agree most issues are caused by silly lil issues that are not related to the laptop

Quote:

ongoing argument that is never going to end bro starting to think if this thread is constructive at all, just window users losing their shit cause they don't own a Mac.
I think its time for Serato Mods to shut this thread down,

The reason you think this thread is not constructive, is because you make statements you can't back up. Instead of admitting you were wrong, you want the mods to shut the thread down. The only thing you're worried about here is your ego. Its that simple. Unless, of course, you can point out the comments that are bad enough to shut the thread down?
Christ beats I. 7:46 PM - 23 September, 2018
I have run Macs and Windows and in all honesty once you have them both running side by side most people would not see any difference. On my Mac Pro 2015 with an NVMe drive I still found stuttering in the waveforms but not being overly fussed as performance audio wise the quality untouched. Lets be honest Macs are just alot more convenient for set up, They are literally plug and play with no driver searches or installs but actual realtime airplay and reliability was not noticeably different to a Windows PC. Where Mac excell at present is in track anylizing. My MBP 2015 had no issues at all with the 64bit version of SDJpro but my 2016 windows PC which was far more powerful anylized at a snails pace.
I would like to see a ios version of Serato DJ Pro for the ipad like Algoriddim DJ Pro because i find that these days IOS is alot better than a Mac or a PC! Much more convenient, faster by far and cheaper!
Coherence 8:50 PM - 23 September, 2018
I'm not a cheerleader for any particular OS except maybe Linux, but that's not really a subject of this discussion.

My only 'issue' with DJing on Windows is when I leave my internal sound card volume up and either Windows decides to 'tell me' something (notification) during a set, or if I enable a device like my Denons in hybrid MIDI (or another device in HID) and you get that lovely USB or notification chime noise which inevitably forwards to the connected sound card. (controller, mixer, etc) Makes for an embarrassing moment that makes everyone listening think it is their phone / computer / etc. =P Totally my own fault and avoidable.

My experience with Macs is that their USB subsystem is pretty bulletproof. None of that wifi polling latency you get on the Windows side of things. This is entirely avoidable and basically a non-issue as well.

My production machine (Windows) has 7 audio devices with various I/O. Handles it just fine outside of occasionally selecting the wrong default device for playback on the desktop. (another non-issue)

All that to say, eh - Windows works just fine. Macs work just fine. Ideally, I'd love to just use Linux, but market share and all that.
DjSyndic8 8:29 AM - 24 September, 2018
Ive been on this forum for a while now and I enjoy a good constructive conversation, and not so much for the name calling, bickering and the insults, no need for that around here,

I used to have windows as my DJ system every week I pray that my laptop would just simply work and not crash on me in the middle of a gig,
unfortunately it wasn't the case, after years of spending money & trying to make my windows laptop work flawlessly with Serato, I finally figured out that Serato was designed mainly towards the Mac OS system Serato wont admit it but years of troubleshooting my windows issues and so many years of stress I said Fuckit I'll buy a Mac and vwalla I have never felt better then ever DJing on a Mac all my issues ceased to exist, I have a 2012 MBPro and its still going hard,

every DJ has issues different to mine and others, you have to go online and do your research through google and youtube, try and figure your issues out yourself, do not rely on Serato to fix your issues, if you do then you will just get frustrated and start blaming other DJs on this forum and Serato for your issues, if you can make windows work for you then do it, if you can make Mac work for you then good on you,
but there's no need for fighting over which is better, this will achieve nothing.
Hanginon 2:14 PM - 24 September, 2018
2018 numbers has Mac OS about 9% of the market, Windows about 88%.
This is the whole market - I'm sure if you could look at strictly graphics or DAW type applications, these numbers would be closer.

On top of that, DJ's using laptops is an extremely small percentage of overall laptop sales. The whole industry has us as "second class", thus Apples seemingly non-DJ friendly changes to it's newest series.

There are plenty of computer literate DJ's who run Serato on Windows all the time, with no problems, plus, if you ignore the above numbers, you're immediately eliminating yourself from a huge segment of the market. Why do you think Algoriddum just went through all the pain of launching a Windows version of djaypro?

It might help the argument if Serato posted it's Windows vs Mac download numbers. If you think that's going to happen, there is a bridge I'm selling I need to tell you about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DjSyndic8 8:02 PM - 24 September, 2018
also may I add that having a Mac or a windows you have to have the perfect combination in hardware, Operating system, and firmware drivers for serato to work,
I have the 2012 MB pro I was running snow leopard with no issues for years till I had to upgrade to El capitan for my DDJ SR2 to work and that's the only reason I upgraded, everyone is so quick to upgrade OS systems so they can have the latest and greatest new Op system this is not good because Serato and the company that you bought your DJ hardware from will have to adjust their software and create a new firmware to work with the new Operating system and this could take months,
if it ain't broke then don't fix it!

also after years of troubleshooting computer issues you pick up new skills that you've learnt along the way, how to fix your windows or mac if it crashes and you don't have to take it to a tech guy so he can rip you off over a simple issue,

again This is not a windows vs Mac issue this is finding the perfect combination of hard ware and software so that serato can work in harmony with them and make you happy,

some of you have asked for examples of some of the issues I was having
here is the biggest issue I had with windows
before Serato DJ Pro, I used Serato Itch and then Serato DJ and I had issue with serato loading my large database library (over 100k files), I didn't have this issue with Serato Scratch Live but I did using Itch and Serato DJ,

every-time I start serato DJ it will start to load my library and after a minute Serato will auto shutdown, or it will hang then I would have to force quit serato dj,
or if it did fully load I would start to play and serato will just crash and quit while I'm playing live, this stressed me out every time I played live so embarrassing and I started to lose the fun in DJing,
after trying to add more memory to my windows laptop I finally realized that no matter how much memory you had in your laptop, serato dj was just a 32bit software and can only use a max of 2gb, so I figured that was my issue, so I started the petition for a 64bit Serato version and after 5 years of everyone chiming in serato finally released their 64bit version called Serato DJ Pro

but before the update came out I had already made the decision to buy a Mac book pro and I didn't have that large database issue my Mac loads my library fine and I never ever have crashes while I play, personally having a Mac bought back the Joy of DJing for me instead of anticipating what to do when your windows laptop crashes, you can enjoy your set and worry what to play next,
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:16 PM - 24 September, 2018
I encountered a weird issue with my Dell XPS 13 Windows 10 last week. I tried to install the driver for my SR2. It took me almost an hour to get it working.

Installing a driver is a simple task

1. Head to manufacturers site
2. Download driver
3. Run as admin
4. Click ok when done
5. Restart Windows

Simple enough yeah but it didn't work till the 6th or 7th attempt before Windows detected the hardware and I could use Serato.

It's not a big issue if this was like 1t years ago when I had all the time in the world to be tinkering with stuff. I even used Ubuntu for a period when I was in Uni. I was the always the guy running rooted android phones, trying new builds daily and stuff.

Now I place more value on my time and just use a Mac for djing.

On the flip Windows have come a long way, my previous Windows machine was XP
DjSyndic8 8:31 PM - 24 September, 2018
lol "DJ Marv the Maverick" your right back then I had all the time in the world but now I don't, and thanks to itch sync I prepare my crates and songs fast and have no issues at all:)
Hanginon 10:51 PM - 24 September, 2018
@DJ Marv the Maverick,
Do you routinely install drivers as "Admin"?
Is there more than one User on your laptop?
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:58 PM - 24 September, 2018
Quote:
@DJ Marv the Maverick,

Just me. I don't even have a guest profile on the machine

"Run as admin" is wrong?

Quote:
lol "DJ Marv the Maverick" your right back then I had all the time in the world but now I don't, and thanks to itch sync I prepare my crates and songs fast and have no issues at all:)

Time is money 😎
Slartibartfass 1:27 AM - 25 September, 2018
Serato DJ Pro, Traktor and Recordbox run perfectly on Windows on my old, small and cheap Lenovo Thinkpads i5/8GB/SSD without any optimising. No function (as WLAN or Blutooth) disabled, even Antivirus running. So to me it´s not the difference of OS but the quality or set of hardware components.
Hanginon 4:47 AM - 25 September, 2018
Quote:

Quote:
@DJ Marv the Maverick,

Just me. I don't even have a guest profile on the machine

"Run as admin" is wrong?

I don't usually install drivers as Admin - but I'm not sure, that's why I asked.
Coherence 5:44 AM - 25 September, 2018
Quote:
Serato DJ Pro, Traktor and Recordbox run perfectly on Windows on my old, small and cheap Lenovo Thinkpads i5/8GB/SSD without any optimising. No function (as WLAN or Blutooth) disabled, even Antivirus running. So to me it´s not the difference of OS but the quality or set of hardware components.

Largely accurate. Very much depends on the shared resources used. Lenovo historically does a good job of providing ample I/O and not leaning on the shared lanes too often for primary devices. (like USB ports on the actual laptop)

Cheaper / lazier designs, or sometimes fully decked out units with discrete GPU, etc which are short on I/O will often marry some devices on the same shared bus, which then puts you in some hurt when Windows decides to poll for SSIDs. (assuming the root hub your controller is plugged into shares I/O with the wifi)

I've got a Skylake XPS 13 and similarly have zero issues, thankfully.