Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Windows 10 & cloning hard drives (needing tips/help)

Happy Recycling 4:17 PM - 17 September, 2018
Hi again,

I went to a reputable shop and am cloning my old 1 TB SATA drive to a 2 TB SSD.

There are a few difficulties in this procedure that I would like to clear up; it would be great if some people on this forum could give their attention to this and provide tips/help.

First, some background info...

I have currently 800 GB on storage used on my old SATA hard drive:
-- some thoughts written on word and notepad (not related,)
-- 50,000+ tunes (collected over the past 5 some odd years, and each stored on itunes in the music folder and read by itunes;) these have been collected from CD, beatport, junodownload, and itunes
--50 major crates which each extend quite far like old directory trees (if anyone remembers using MS DOS) in the serato folder (serato dj 2.0 32 bit)
-- and mixed in key 8

The problem is I'M STILL COLLECTING! and Windows likes 1 TB partitions, says the shop. They tried every way, and contacted others from other sister shops (they are a chain) to see if they could make one ~2 TB partition for storage plus a Windows partition. That just doesn't work, they don't know how to do this; most especially since I have an iTunes wishlist that's huge! ...

So, I'm turning it to this forum for help. I read here that SERATO can't be in more than one partition, but is it possible to have MUSIC in an internal hard drive on more than one partition? Second question, since I'll still be I'll be severely extending the "directory trees" (in MS DOS speak) of my crates, is there some way to keep these in the same partition while expanding the music data, in the first, and then continuing into the second ... feels kind of messy; but it may turn out to be easy, if done logically. ... but how?

Thanks.
Happy Recycling 4:18 PM - 17 September, 2018
p.s. Links for advice or information how to's would be great!
DjSyndic8 4:41 PM - 17 September, 2018
What your trying to do is not currently possible without using a third party software similar to "itch sync" ill get back to you on this.
Happy Recycling 4:53 PM - 17 September, 2018
Thanks! Looking forward to knowing this!
Another Mark H 8:34 PM - 17 September, 2018
@Happy Recycling

I don't think 1TB is a limit as such for Windows 10 but it is possible that it is a limit for the disc copying software that the shop uses.

See

support.microsoft.com

for Microsoft's view on the problem.

Last time I upgraded a PC disk I went for a Seagate FireCuda and that has been excellent in Windows 10 (in my case a 1TB).

If the hardware supports it, a separate SSD for the Operating System and, say, a FireCuda for files would seem optimum but the FireCuda itself has been much better than the disc it replaced.
DJ Unique 8:45 PM - 17 September, 2018
I don't think there is a 1TB limit on Windows.
My Lacie drives are 4TB partition as NTFS format.

I use Retrospect to clone them and it works great.

www.retrospect.com

I also have an OSX Journaled with a 5TB partition. I can't remember which software I use for cloning but it works great.
Happy Recycling 11:48 PM - 17 September, 2018
Great news: a truly customer service friendly customer service representative took helm on the laptop and was able to do what the computer technician could not ... so it's all fixed! :) Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to troubleshoot the licensing error!

... while using the 1 TB SATA, I tried to delete as much as possible from my hard drive that I could; and that included Microsoft Edge; the problem with this is that's it's still the automatic pop-up browser, somehow, and just shows a blank grey window which can be minimized. Serato pops up this grey window, as does all the other applications ....

Thanks everyone for helping me sort the above out. Would appreciate how to troubleshoot the licensing error, I'll try on my own.

Real time and turn based realities are still not temporally harmonic, at times, I guess; thanks for all who responded, perhaps someone in the future will see this and use it as a valuable resource!
Happy Recycling 12:20 AM - 18 September, 2018
Think I got it ... just can't do it right now; have to just hook up the old ddj-sx *my current mahcine* to the laptop which has to be connected to the internet...
DJ JulioYEG 12:31 AM - 18 September, 2018
Quote:
I don't think there is a 1TB limit on Windows.
My Lacie drives are 4TB partition as NTFS format.

I use Retrospect to clone them and it works great.

www.retrospect.com

I also have an OSX Journaled with a 5TB partition. I can't remember which software I use for cloning but it works great.

+1
DjSyndic8 12:40 AM - 18 September, 2018
Quote:
Thanks! Looking forward to knowing this!

heres the program you have to pay for it though it
Watchwww.youtube.com
alchimiedj.com
doop 1:22 PM - 18 September, 2018
For what it's worth, you can do all of this drive cloning and repartitioning for free using a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. The cgdisk tool will be your friend here! Check out www.rodsbooks.com for a tutorial.

Quote:
Windows likes 1 TB partitions, says the shop.

Pure nonsense. Using NTFS or exFAT, you can make larger partitions that Windows will happily use without issue.
17tr2 3:25 PM - 18 September, 2018
Quote:
For what it's worth, you can do all of this drive cloning and repartitioning for free using a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. The cgdisk tool will be your friend here! Check out www.rodsbooks.com for a tutorial.

Quote:
Windows likes 1 TB partitions, says the shop.

Pure nonsense. Using NTFS or exFAT, you can make larger partitions that Windows will happily use without issue.

He's right. Linux is the easiest way to do it. Any live distro that has Gparted on it will work fine. You can find them all here.

distrowatch.com

Scroll down and you'll see a list of 100 on the right side of the screen. Pick something from one of those.