DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Speaker Setup Question

Guns&Butter 2:13 PM - 11 September, 2018
Looking to put together a speaker system/set-up in our basement where we hold parties about twice every two weeks. Usually around 70-120 people are there and my ideal setup is 1-2 powered PAs, a sub and possibly a mixer. We will usually have a Pioneer controller plugged in and a mic as well. Does anyone have suggestions on a set-up/what equipment is needed?

Thanks
Taipanic 4:16 PM - 11 September, 2018
I'd start off with 1 Yamaha DSR112 & 1 Yorkville LS801/ES18 sub and add as needed for volume & coverage. Clear mids & highs with wall shaking bass, worth spending the $2k-2500.00 on and calling it a day.
17tr2 5:00 PM - 11 September, 2018
How big is the room?
577er 5:29 PM - 11 September, 2018
Twice every two weeks, is that once a week or two times at between two weeks not not on a regular schedule? This is very intriguing.

Yeah we will need to know the size of the room, that’s very important. Also what are you looking for in sound pressure levels LOUD AS FUUUUUUK or just good clean sound?
Guns&Butter 5:29 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
How big is the room?

About 800 square feet
Guns&Butter 5:30 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Twice every two weeks, is that once a week or two times at between two weeks not not on a regular schedule? This is very intriguing.

Yeah we will need to know the size of the room, that’s very important. Also what are you looking for in sound pressure levels LOUD AS FUUUUUUK or just good clean sound?

Loud as fuck
577er 5:51 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
I'd start off with 1 Yamaha DSR112 & 1 Yorkville LS801/ES18 sub and add as needed for volume & coverage. Clear mids & highs with wall shaking bass, worth spending the $2k-2500.00 on and calling it a day.

This is what you want right here. DSR112s & ES18Ps.
Guns&Butter 7:45 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Any recommendations at a lower price point, I'm a kinda broke college kid. What about Behringer?
577er 9:36 PM - 11 September, 2018
Behringer is garbage, it's an instant wast of money. What's you budget?

Guitar Center and other places rent QSC KW181 and K12 tops just rent quality equipment and charge people to party until you have enough for a proper system.
577er 9:37 PM - 11 September, 2018
Sorry for the typos... how hard can an edit feature be?
dj_soo 4:20 AM - 12 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any recommendations at a lower price point, I'm a kinda broke college kid. What about Behringer?

nothing about behringer speakers equates to "loud as fuck"

The DSR/ES18 will be loud as fuck but honestly probably a little overkill for a basement party. Regardless tho, you will need to up your budget considerably if all you can afford are behringer speakers.
dj_soo 4:22 AM - 12 September, 2018
You could try going Yamaha DBR10s over a DXS18SP which is about $2k retail, but it's not going to come close to the DSR/ES18P combo for not that much less.
RR437T 10:40 PM - 12 September, 2018
Why does everyone hate Behringer so much? I know its not high end gear, but I have DEQ 24/96 for several years and it works perfectly. Are they'er other products really that bad?
DJ Reflex 1:47 AM - 13 September, 2018
Quote:
Why does everyone hate Behringer so much? I know its not high end gear, but I have DEQ 24/96 for several years and it works perfectly. Are they'er other products really that bad?

A buddy of mine has the X32 Digital Board and I've run a few Behringer mixers over the years that work just fine.... But their speakers do suck!
dj_soo 3:17 AM - 13 September, 2018
Quote:

there is some stuff they make that's good - especially the newer X mixers that incorporate a lot of the midas tech they acquired.

The powered speakers are not some of them tho.