Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

New Windows Laptop or MacBook?

Chrislenny 7:33 AM - 10 September, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have been using windows laptops and the time has come to buy a new laptop. I’ve had problems with my old laptop due to age and Serato tracks freezing. I’ve tried to replace it cheaply by buying another 2nd hand windows laptop £75 for a Dell i5 8gb ram 500SSD, that’s worse! Don’t know if it’s driver issues, windows 10, prob the laptop.
Got a budget of about £500 - £600 and don’t know whether to buy a new windows laptop or a 2nd hand MacBook Pro. I will literally just be using the laptop for DJing.
mixgoonie 9:11 AM - 10 September, 2018
If you have a bit skills, you can even buy a 2nd hand Windows Laptop and with this price, you can even buy 2 laptops, just perform a deep test (CPU-GPU stress test, temperature check...)

Except with WIndows 10 1803, SDJ has never caused me any issue.
Iffy Ranx 9:12 AM - 10 September, 2018
The Dell i5 laptop you have should definitely run Serato DJ with no problems. What problems are you experiencing?
mixgoonie 9:13 AM - 10 September, 2018
That is also true, i've got a Dell I5 E6520, that is a hardware from 2011 and Serato runs better than Traktor because with Traktor i've got audio stutter when the DPC latency is all in the red.
Chrislenny 10:10 AM - 10 September, 2018
So when I play any track the track plays slow/ stutters makes an awful noise.
On paper yes the laptop I have should run Serato fine but it’s not.
The laptop has had a rough life as it’s been used by a field service engineer and taken around various factory’s and prob bashed around a bit.
It had windows 7 on it and I changed it to 10. Using the latest version of Serato.
DJ JulioYEG 7:07 PM - 10 September, 2018
get a mac no question lol, windows fanboys dont @ me.
Chrislenny 7:38 PM - 10 September, 2018
Quote:
That is also true, i've got a Dell I5 E6520, that is a hardware from 2011 and Serato runs better than Traktor because with Traktor i've got audio stutter when the DPC latency is all in the red.

Yeah mines a dell E6440 so should be fine.
Be interesting know where the fault lies.
Maybe I should I have tried it on windows 7 first :-/
17tr2 8:55 PM - 10 September, 2018
Quote:
So when I play any track the track plays slow/ stutters makes an awful noise.
On paper yes the laptop I have should run Serato fine but it’s not.
The laptop has had a rough life as it’s been used by a field service engineer and taken around various factory’s and prob bashed around a bit.
It had windows 7 on it and I changed it to 10. Using the latest version of Serato.

Do a fresh install of Windows 10, not upgrade. As long as nothing is wrong with your hardware, it should work. But from reading your post, it sounds like you may be using abused equipment.

If you end up getting a new laptop, you should be able to get something that runs Serato OK with your budget. Just don't buy a Dell.
DJ Tecniq 9:43 PM - 10 September, 2018
I 2nd to reformat the computer if it’s been used and abused why not start fresh what else do you have to lose?
Chrislenny 5:46 AM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
I 2nd to reformat the computer if it’s been used and abused why not start fresh what else do you have to lose?

The laptop came with windows 7. I installed windows 10 on it and then have reinstalled it a 2nd time.
DJ Tecniq 7:59 AM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

The laptop came with windows 7. I installed windows 10 on it and then have reinstalled it a 2nd time.
pkay so when you reinstalled it the 2nd time was it a clean install or was it able to keep all your remaining data?
Nick Sheldon 8:04 AM - 11 September, 2018
I agree with the clean install. But first I would try a different usb cable. Every cable I have had with my controller has been rubbish and have had to replace them.
Good luck
Chrislenny 8:14 AM - 11 September, 2018
It was a clean install.
I could try another usb cable and try different USB ports thank you all for your replies
DJ Tecniq 8:38 AM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
It was a clean install.
I could try another usb cable and try different USB ports thank you all for your replies
If it was a clean install double check to make sure you have all audio & video drivers updated from the manufacturer. sometimes you need to get them from the website if that doesn't help just get a Mac bro and be done with all this nonsense your life will be so much easier.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 1:58 PM - 11 September, 2018
Buy a Mac and save yourself a load of stress.
I’ve been through all the problems of running a windows laptop with Serato. I know it’s possible to get it running ok but Windows is just a recipe for disaster in the middle of a gig.
I was having problems and in the middle of trouble shooting with Serato support team when I asked the support guy - “if I buy a Mac will I have any of these issues?”
His answer was a straight up “no”
So I bought a MacBook Pro second hand and have never had a problem since.
Chrislenny 4:27 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
I’ve been through all the problems of running a windows laptop with Serato. I know it’s possible to get it running ok but Windows is just a recipe for disaster in the middle of a gig.
I was having problems and in the middle of trouble shooting with Serato support team when I asked the support guy - “if I buy a Mac will I have any of these issues?”

Ah ok that doesn’t surprise me. I guess I’ll be on the hunt for a 2nd hand MacBook Pro, been having a browse already.

What age of MacBook do I not want to go beyond?
DJ Tecniq 4:37 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Try and get a 2012 or above model MacBook Pro. The 13”s are ok but the 15” mbp’s are more powerful w/i7 processor
Nick Sheldon 4:37 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Ah ok that doesn’t surprise me. I guess I’ll be on the hunt for a 2nd hand MacBook Pro, been having a browse already.

And I have the opposite story. Both are the same it's up to user preference. I have been at two gigs where the 'mac' guy crashed. I (touch wood) have never crashed in a gig. The only problems I have ever had is from a dodgy usb cable. Personally, from a budget point of view I would go with the windows machine and get the double the spec for the same money..
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:46 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And I have the opposite story. Both are the same it's up to user preference. I have been at two gigs where the 'mac' guy crashed. I (touch wood) have never crashed in a gig. The only problems I have ever had is from a dodgy usb cable. Personally, from a budget point of view I would go with the windows machine and get the double the spec for the same money..

I've got both Mac and Windows. I will recommend Mac over Windows for my situation as I do videos as well. I swear by Mixemergency video plug in which is MacOS only.

Mac have had their fair share of issues as well with Serato but I think it's mostly related to Serato and hardware manufacturers not keeping up with the annual changes Apple throws out.

E.g. USB C was launched in 2016 and hardware still ships with USB A. Not saying that's wrong but at least they can include both cables or small adapter.
novakone 8:48 PM - 11 September, 2018
2012 I7 16GB Ram. Fit a dual drive 👌
They can be picked up really cheap too
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 8:54 PM - 11 September, 2018
17tr2 9:02 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have to agree with that. If cost were no object, I would probably go with a Mac. But if you are on a budget, I'd rather get a new, more capable Windows machine than an old Mac. I have 2 new Windows laptops with Serato Pro on it, and have no real problems. The issues are mostly Serato related, not win or mac.
popnwave 9:57 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
I have to agree with that. If cost were no object, I would probably go with a Mac. But if you are on a budget, I'd rather get a new, more capable Windows machine than an old Mac. I have 2 new Windows laptops with Serato Pro on it, and have no real problems. The issues are mostly Serato related, not win or mac.

So you'd rather get a new POS rather than a working used machine? Man some of you guys are just gluttons for punishment. smh. Unlike getting some crusty ass used PC, most of the time used Macs have been babied a lot more. I think the most annoying stuff I come across is people putting stickers on their lids (ARGH) of dumb stuff.
pdidy 12:03 AM - 13 September, 2018
If you need to ask the question then you're likely not a real dj yet so stick with the cheaper windows pc. Now once you become a professional dj, then its time to get a mac.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 6:35 AM - 13 September, 2018
Quote:
If you need to ask the question then you're likely not a real dj yet so stick with the cheaper windows pc. Now once you become a professional dj, then its time to get a mac.

^^^^what he said^^^^
DJ JulioYEG 5:57 PM - 13 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

^^^^what he said^^^^

+1