Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DDJ-SX1/2/3 owners: are your hot cue pads pre-lit?

funkyfresh2012 2:59 AM - 10 September, 2018
For ddj sx users, when your performance pads are in Hot Cue mode, are your performance pads pre-lit if that button does not have a cue point assigned to it? Mines are dark for non-assigned buttons. Makes it a pain to see if I'm in a dark room if the buttons are not pre-lit. The hot cues are fully lit correctly when there is a cue point assigned. Not sure if it's a SX3 issue, my controller issue, or if it's normal. Please help.... From videos I see online, it looks like it should be pre-lit.
DJ Tecniq 3:04 AM - 10 September, 2018
Which unit do you have?
funkyfresh2012 3:09 AM - 10 September, 2018
Pioneer ddj-sx3.

I already had it sent in for the recent recall. Based on the work order, they swapped out one resistor for whatever reason. I didn't really notice any issues when I first got it and figured it'd be best to send it back for the free inspection. I had downtime anyways.

I have a feeling that this is an isolated issue with my unit. It functions as it should. Just no pre-lit pads (only in Hot Cue mode for unassigned cues)
DJ Tecniq 3:16 AM - 10 September, 2018
Quote:
Pioneer ddj-sx3.

I already had it sent in for the recent recall. Based on the work order, they swapped out one resistor for whatever reason. I didn't really notice any issues when I first got it and figured it'd be best to send it back for the free inspection. I had downtime anyways.

I have a feeling that this is an isolated issue with my unit. It functions as it should. Just no pre-lit pads (only in Hot Cue mode for unassigned cues)
I’d def call them up and ask esp if yours has been repaired already? If they didn’t test other problem areas then i would get rid of that unit and get a refund.
DJ Tecniq 3:17 AM - 10 September, 2018
Can you take a video clip? I have the SR2 and the pads aren’t pre lit unless you assign something to them. Maybe I’m missing something...
funkyfresh2012 3:48 AM - 10 September, 2018
Here is my SX3 with one cue point assigned (not pre lit):
tinypic.com

My friends SR2 with one cue point assigned (his are pre lit blue):
tinypic.com

Weird thing is on my sx3, if I turn my controller on and not plug my mbp to it, all the cues are pre lit white. Once I plug my mbp in, the controller lights cycle through and then the pads do not pre lit anymore. Is it a software thing? Hoping someone with a sx2 and sx3 can chime in with what theirs do. I'm already regretting this purchase.
DJ Tecniq 4:11 AM - 10 September, 2018
Interesting. Are you using usb power only? Have you tried with the power adapter as well?
funkyfresh2012 4:24 AM - 10 September, 2018
SX3 requires the provided PS and cant run without it.
DJ Tecniq 4:36 AM - 10 September, 2018
PS? Sorry i don’t follow
DJ Tecniq 4:36 AM - 10 September, 2018
Oh power supply lol. I’ve used my SR2 with and w/o power supply no issues.
DJ Tecniq 5:23 AM - 10 September, 2018
I had forgot those bigger units require the power supply in order to function.
17tr2 11:30 AM - 10 September, 2018
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I have the SX2 and only pads that have cue points assigned to it are lit. I still see the dark ones a little because light from the lit ones bleeds over.
funkyfresh2012 2:53 PM - 10 September, 2018
Quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I have the SX2 and only pads that have cue points assigned to it are lit. I still see the dark ones a little because light from the lit ones bleeds over.

That's good to hear! I just find it weird to not have them pre lit for dark booths. Odd that other pioneer units are pre lit.

Can anyone else who have the SX units chime in?
funkyfresh2012 3:17 PM - 10 September, 2018
Just spoke to pioneer, they said it supposed to be pre lit. Guess this will be sent back again. *sigh
Telony Ex 9:06 PM - 10 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

That's good to hear! I just find it weird to not have them pre lit for dark booths. Odd that other pioneer units are pre lit.

Can anyone else who have the SX units chime in?

no pre lit if loaded track has no cue points.
Logisticalstyles 12:44 AM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:

Quote:
Just spoke to pioneer, they said it supposed to be pre lit.

That's strange. My SR2 pads aren't pre-lit and I play on a SZ2 3 at the club and they aren't either.
funkyfresh2012 2:49 AM - 11 September, 2018
hmm... when i had Pioneer Support on the phone, he went and physically tested it himself. I shipped it back anyways to see if they can get it fixed. I am already regretting this purchase. :*(
DJ Tecniq 8:30 AM - 11 September, 2018
Time to put this to rest. My SR2 pads are pre lit. They are supposed to be regardless if you have a cue point set or not. see below
[url=img18057.imagevenue.com][img=img18057.imagevenue.com][/url][url=img18055.imagevenue.com][img=img18055.imagevenue.com][/url][url=img18054.imagevenue.com][img=img18054.imagevenue.com][/url]<BR>[url=img18055.imagevenue.com][img=img18055.imagevenue.com][/url][url=img18056.imagevenue.com][img=img18056.imagevenue.com][/url]
DJ Tecniq 8:32 AM - 11 September, 2018
Those screenshots were taken from random gigs. The pads are pre lit also with or without the power adapter connected. If your unit is not pre lit then something may be wrong or maybe you just can't tell cause you're not in a dark enough atmosphere. end of thread/
DJ Tecniq 8:35 AM - 11 September, 2018
If the pads aren't pre lit how the hell can you set a cue point if you can't see the pads in a dark atmosphere...
DJ Tecniq 10:28 AM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Here is my SX3 with one cue point assigned (not pre lit):
tinypic.com
So they fixed the defect but didn’t notice the pads weren’t pre lit...yeah I’d be sending it back they should be pre lit.
Logisticalstyles 1:24 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Those screenshots were taken from random gigs. The pads are pre lit also with or without the power adapter connected. If your unit is not pre lit then something may be wrong or maybe you just can't tell cause you're not in a dark enough atmosphere. end of thread/

I have random pictures and videos that show the pads not pre lit on both my SR2 and the SZ2 I use in the club.
funkyfresh2012 5:00 PM - 11 September, 2018
Maybe this is an underlying issue from pioneer that no one really noticed
DJ Tecniq 7:20 PM - 11 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I have random pictures and videos that show the pads not pre lit on both my SR2 and the SZ2 I use in the club.
That’s really odd then even my old SB2 was prelit. Maybe try going into SDJ settings and uncheck/recheck enable hot cues. Maybe a bug or something.
Alpha Unit 3:09 PM - 12 September, 2018
If we're talking about them being dimly lit so as can be seen in a dark environment, then yeah its supposed to be pre-lit. Then once cue is assigned it gets bright with the color for that cp.
17tr2 5:04 PM - 12 September, 2018
Quote:
If we're talking about them being dimly lit so as can be seen in a dark environment, then yeah its supposed to be pre-lit. Then once cue is assigned it gets bright with the color for that cp.

That's how my SX2 is. I checked it last night. But its very dim, that's why I confused it with with light bleeding over from other lit pads. I can see why someone would think they are not lit at all.
DJ Tecniq 7:05 PM - 12 September, 2018
SX2/SX3 backlight for the pads i think are more dim than the other controllers my SR2 is actually really bright.
funkyfresh2012 6:08 PM - 14 September, 2018
Now pioneer is sending it back to me as is since they thought it was normal not to be prelit. I am trying to have it re looked at again (hopefully before they ship it back to me to avoid more back and forth).

Geez Pioneer. Get it together.
funkyfresh2012 6:09 PM - 14 September, 2018
The SX3 should be slight white pre lit pads. It's pretty dam noticeable that it's prelit in a pitch black room.
Logisticalstyles 10:36 PM - 14 September, 2018
Just out of curiosity, why and how are you DJing in a pitch black room? Does your laptop screen not light up? Do the other buttons on the controller not light up?
funkyfresh2012 12:26 AM - 15 September, 2018
Just using a pitch black room as an example of a dark setting.

Yes, every button on the ddj sx3 is pre lit.
Logisticalstyles 4:13 PM - 15 September, 2018
I did some experimenting yesterday and I was only able to get the pads to show pre lit if I connected the USB cable to my laptop and then launched SDJ Pro. Even then it was not consistent. If I connect it after launching the program they would not be pre lit.
raedonquan 9:56 PM - 16 September, 2018
they are pre lit and when you hit the cue it goes brighter. so you know you are hittiing that cuepoint... they are on some controller and mixer's... i noticed this on the s9 and the 72....
funkyfresh2012 2:51 AM - 24 September, 2018
So my SX3 is still sitting at Pioneer. They had it reviewed twice with the service tech and said they were not able to find any issues with the unit. I asked for it to be reviewed one last time with Pioneer support who confirmed with me that it is supposed to be pre lit. Still hoping for some better news this week. The techs would not call me during inspection so I can walk them through the issue.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:34 AM - 24 September, 2018
SR2 is pre lit
Logisticalstyles 12:39 PM - 24 September, 2018
I did some more testing at the club with the SZ2 and the only time the pads were dimly pre-lit is when the controller was connected to the laptop without Serato open. Once I opened Serato the pads went dark unless there was a cue point set. This happened Friday , Saturday and Sunday.
funkyfresh2012 1:37 PM - 24 September, 2018
Quote:
I did some more testing at the club with the SZ2 and the only time the pads were dimly pre-lit is when the controller was connected to the laptop without Serato open. Once I opened Serato the pads went dark unless there was a cue point set. This happened Friday , Saturday and Sunday.

This was currently how my SX3 was before shipping it back to Pioneer.
DJ Tecniq 9:52 PM - 24 September, 2018
Quote:
This was currently how my SX3 was before shipping it back to Pioneer.
Did they fix it?
funkyfresh2012 8:47 PM - 25 September, 2018
Still waiting.....the first two techs found no issues. So I'm not sure if they think it's normal or they don't know what they are looking for..
DJ Tecniq 9:40 PM - 25 September, 2018
Quote:
Still waiting.....the first two techs found no issues. So I'm not sure if they think it's normal or they don't know what they are looking for..
Sounds like they are retarded
raedonquan 11:01 PM - 30 September, 2018
the 72 is pre lit when there is a cue point occupied and goes bright when you hit it for visual feedback

[url=flic.kr][img]farm2.staticflickr.com[/img][/url][url=flic.kr]20180930_183526[/url] by [url=www.flickr.com]djbroray[/url], on Flickr

[url=flic.kr][img]farm2.staticflickr.com[/img][/url][url=flic.kr]20180930_183529[/url] by [url=www.flickr.com]djbroray[/url], on Flickr
funkyfresh2012 2:07 AM - 3 October, 2018
After a couple of weeks of waiting, Pioneer sent me a new replacement. Plugged it in and I get the same result. Pretty sad to see that the pads are NOT pre-lit. I hope they see this and change it. Sounds like it can be updated via software update on their end to make it pre-lit.

Another pic of it not pre-lit
tinypic.com
Logisticalstyles 3:00 PM - 3 October, 2018
I honestly think it may be that way by design. I find it hard to believe that your previous and new model along with mine are all equally faulty. Maybe the person that told it was supposed to be pre lit was wrong. Most likely it is something that can be fixed with a firmware update.
DJ Tecniq 3:33 PM - 3 October, 2018
In this video Lenny kravitz daughter uses the SX3 but the left side looks prelit but the right side not🤷🏼‍♂️
youtu.be
funkyfresh2012 7:31 PM - 3 October, 2018
Quote:
I honestly think it may be that way by design. I find it hard to believe that your previous and new model along with mine are all equally faulty. Maybe the person that told it was supposed to be pre lit was wrong. Most likely it is something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

I agree. Hopefully they can change it via software update.
funkyfresh2012 7:32 PM - 3 October, 2018
Quote:
In this video Lenny kravitz daughter uses the SX3 but the left side looks prelit but the right side not🤷🏼‍♂️
youtu.be

Reason left side is pre-lit is because it's in a different mode (sampler mode). Right side was in Hot Cue mode and it was not pre-lit.
DJ Tecniq 5:45 AM - 4 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be

Reason left side is pre-lit is because it's in a different mode (sampler mode). Right side was in Hot Cue mode and it was not pre-lit.
Good call i checked out some other SX3 clips and it looks like the pads are prelit but just very dim.
DJ Weldon 10:56 PM - 10 January, 2020
Sorry to resurrect... but did anyone find a conclusion to this!?

My performance pads are not lit at all in hot cue mode unless assigned and I bought my unit December 2019!

(It has a black dot)
funkyfresh2012 12:57 AM - 11 January, 2020
yup... that is a normal thing for it not to be lit when no hot cues are assigned
raedonquan 10:56 PM - 11 January, 2020
Sx did not have this feature.. 2 and 3 does
funkyfresh2012 6:20 AM - 12 January, 2020
the new ddj 1000srt follows the same design (not lit for unassigned hot cues)
DJ Varmintbaby 5:40 AM - 13 January, 2020
I have the SX2 and the pads are not lit unless a hotcue is assigned. Only some of the other modes have already lit pads. When I set a hot cue. It lights up to the corresponding color.
vboyd666 7:07 PM - 13 January, 2020
This is interesting because I have an SX3 (with black dot) and the pads for unassigned hot cues are lit very dimly with a dark blue almost purple hue.
Gjem1 3:28 AM - 14 January, 2020
My DDJ-SX3 hotcues are ALL DARK when i turn on the controller only.
As soon as i start my pc laptop (not Serato, just the pc), they all pre-lit to a very dim white color.
Hope it helps.
DJ Firoz 1:40 AM - 28 October, 2021
I have a DDJ SX3, and after I updated my MacBook to Big Sur the hot cues and fx buttons don't light up. I updated the Firmware, Drivers, and Factory reset my controller, but still the same issue. Anyone have a fix for this?
When you power on the controller, yes all lights turn on when going through the cycle.
Brento 1:24 PM - 28 October, 2021
are you running the latest version of serato?
DJ Firoz 1:36 PM - 28 October, 2021
Brento,
I thought I was, just installed the update 2.5.7 and everything is working.
Thanks for your quick response.
Firoz
Gjem1 3:48 PM - 28 October, 2021
That's what i like about this forum. It does fix things :-)