DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

EV ETX 12" tops with 18"subs vs. JBL SRX 12" tops with 18"subs (SRX 818P)

DRaZVaN 3:10 PM - 9 September, 2018
Since I do not have a strong technical background on hardware, I am looking for help.
I want to upgrade my equipment from passive speakers to active speakers. I really do not know what to pick in order to spent my money wisely:
A pair of 12" EV ETX with their corespondent 18"subs or I should go with JBL SRX 12" and subs.
My dilema is in regard of the subs: ETX's are 1,800W PEAK Power when the SRX's are 1,000W Peak Power, but for both subs are having a Max SPL of 135 dB. The tops EV's and JBL's are rated the same at 2,000W Peak, JBL is just 1dB louder than EV, 136dB vs 135dB.
I am a user of JBL and I am tempted to go JBL SRX, but are the subs going to be able to keep up with the tops, are they loud enough? Should I go SRX 828p to get close to the power of the tops?
dj_soo 4:41 AM - 10 September, 2018
Don't worry about listed wattage - it's basically all half-truths and doesn't actually reflect loudness.

The JBL tops have a larger high frequency voice coil which should improve clarity and throw.

All reports are that the SRX systems tend to reproduce a flatter signal than the EV systems which tends to require a little more EQ tweaking to get a nice sound for pre-recorded material whereas the EVs have a bit of a "smiley face" EQ setting by default which tends to be a bit more pleasing to the ear right out of the box.

For either of those systems, the tops will outrun the subs and it's generally accepted that a single top can keep up with 2 or more subs when high passed. I've heard that the SRX tops can keep up with up to 4 of the 828s so unless you're planning on running stacks of the subs, you will inevitably run out of low end headroom long before you run out of headroom for the tops.

Best bet is to go to a store that stocks the gear and have a listen for yourself and choose what you prefer.

I've never heard an SRX rig, but I have heard the EV setup and it sounds great.
SG SOUNDS 11:14 AM - 10 September, 2018
Go with JBL and yes the tops will outrun the subs (example) when I had the srx828 subs I use to stack them 3 high with the srx835 on top to balance the power of the 835 3way tops..
DRaZVaN 2:32 PM - 13 September, 2018
Thank you for your replies, DJ Soo and Riddimnblues.
Based only on my readings and your input, I do agree the EV's are more friendlier to work with. The only problem I have is to find a store/dealer that has the SRX setup, the ones I know locally they have EV’s or QSC’s. Being an user of JBL passive speakers and Crown amps I am thinking to bite the bullet and I will go with JBL SRX: 12” tops with 2 subs 818’s. Unfortunately, I do not have the budget to buy 2 of the 828’s…
Taipanic 2:46 PM - 13 September, 2018
Quote:
Based only on my readings and your input, I do agree the EV's are more friendlier to work with. The only problem I have is to find a store/dealer that has the SRX setup, the ones I know locally they have EV’s or QSC’s. Being an user of JBL passive speakers and Crown amps I am thinking to bite the bullet and I will go with JBL SRX: 12” tops with 2 subs 818’s. Unfortunately, I do not have the budget to buy 2 of the 828’s…

If you have the ability to transport and use the 828s just start off with one instead of 2 818s. That will save you a good amount of money, as it is only a few hundred more than a single 818, which you can put towards getting the second one.
DRaZVaN 4:55 PM - 13 September, 2018
That is a good point!
SG SOUNDS 1:30 PM - 14 September, 2018
Quote:

You cant go wrong with the srx12 tops with the 818's that's my current small set up I use now for small to medium size gigs, i use (1) srx12 to (2) 818 subs per side

I sold my 828's and kept my 4 818's because they are more scalable for me on different situations
DRaZVaN 7:16 PM - 18 September, 2018
I do have one last question: As professionals would you advice against: pairing the JBL 12" SRX tops with EV 18" ETX subs? Please let me know your thoughts.
Rebelguy 7:38 PM - 18 September, 2018
Quote:
I do have one last question: As professionals would you advice against: pairing the JBL 12" SRX tops with EV 18" ETX subs? Please let me know your thoughts.

Yes. The JBLs are better subs and it's advisable to have a matching system.