DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

TRIGGER WARNING!!!!

D Jay Cee 9:55 AM - 4 September, 2018
sorry, but i gotta say it.....Reggaeton and new EDM is crap. the two worst genres in the world and they are a crappy DJs dream. too easy to mix..... takes no real effort.

Reggaeton is overplayed and played out. tired of hearing it at the clubs. when i get a request for Latin music, i think Jose Arroyo, Celia Cruz, Tony Vega, Toño Rosari, Grupo Mania and Aventura. But what they really are asking is for commercialized "Latin" music AKA reggaeton. A Dios mio!

EDM DJs are almost never able to handle a party that requires multiple genres ....like weddings. see too many of those guys fail when they try to become a mobile DJ. i end up getting their jobs the next time because, well, they sucked. they only wanted to play what they wanted and stayed between 120-140 BPM the entire night.

ok, rant is over...cue all the crappy DJs that are upset and have to comment.
DJ Reflex 10:01 PM - 4 September, 2018
OK - I gotta comment (but I'm no crappy DJ or upset)...

I was setting up sound for a rave a few weeks ago - and had an hour spot to spin - and most of the DJs just played the same EDM tunes all night.

The beat... the break... the build... the drop - rinse and repeat!

It was nauseating to listen to and all the DJs thought they were the llama's pajamas for playing the "most unique" song in the world hot off Beatport. Best DJ there (not me by the way) was a Spanish guy playing some old school house tracks from back in the day. It was great!
D Jay Cee 10:21 PM - 4 September, 2018
Yup. Precisely. When I do EDM night I try to mix it up a bit. Not all EDM is stuck in high BPMs. Some songs that fit the EDM theme can be 70BPM.
Throw in some of the old house music that Frankie used to play too!
I miss that older stuff but I am an old DJ at 45yrs old.
dj_soo 6:19 AM - 5 September, 2018
for more mainstream festivals, I generally find the better music on the side stages. Main stages tend to be commercial and boring as fuck.
Comrade Tulayev 11:40 AM - 5 September, 2018
It's just commercial dance music.

What pisses me off is how dubstep has been fucked up and now appears to have no dub elements at all (yeah, I do know there is still the good stuff)
dj_soo 6:54 PM - 5 September, 2018
You can blame the Americans for that.
Comrade Tulayev 7:33 PM - 5 September, 2018
Oh I do!
Comrade Tulayev 7:33 PM - 5 September, 2018
its amazing as well how the US invented house and techno but instead of running with it, they end up with fucking EDM
Mr. Goodkat 8:22 PM - 5 September, 2018
Quote:
its amazing as well how the US invented house and techno but instead of running with it, they end up with fucking EDM

its not like there are no techno or house parties.

this is the simple answer. EDM, which of course could be house or techno if you take electronic dance music literally (because you can dance to it and its made electronically), is generally pop music.

Pop music is formulaic by nature. Yes there have been great pop artists that strayed outside the lines but by nature its meant to be 3 mins and played on the radio/tb to sell things and create bookings for the artist.

latinpop/reggaeton is the same thing, they took the beat and left the hype and aggression and added singers and entertainers.

You can basically see it with any product sold/is available to the masses, there are a lot of crappy to average similar products and there are unique products that have more craftsmanship or aesthetic design to them.

as far as what edm djs can and cannot do, you could say the same thing about pop djs not being able to do underground gigs. There are plenty that can't do that. Or some djs can control a big room or a small room but not vice versa. Every DJ is gonna be better at one thing or the other. Often, but not all the time, being a jack of all trades, leaves you as a master of none.
Comrade Tulayev 8:26 PM - 5 September, 2018
yeah, I know that, just having a moan really. Skrillex style "dubstep" is EDM really as far as I can tell. In the UK we don't really have EDM as such, just commercial dance stuff.