DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Advice on new Active Speakers

yaboymichaeld 10:18 AM - 3 September, 2018
Hi All !

First of all I am new here and hope I am posting this to the correct section.

I’m in the market for new active speakers.
Budget is €2000.
My usual crowd is around 100-150 but I have started to get events a bit bigger than this sometimes (up to 300) in large hotel ball rooms and halls.

I currently run the following setup
2x JBL EON 612
- 126db SPL
- 500W Continuous (350W LF , 150W HF)

1x Thomann TheBox CL 118 Sub Mk2
- 350W Continuous.

I want to change my full range tops as I feel the JBLs are pushed to clip a lot of my gigs and The Sub seems fine at the moment but I’m opened to suggestions.

I want something that has a nice crisp loud HF and that is 15” so that if I’m playing in a pub they can hold their own without the sub.

I’ve read a few forums here and there and the names that keep popping up are QSC and RCF mostly so I’ve been looking a little into them but would love to hear what suggestions you guys got.

Thanks
- Michael
577er 3:48 PM - 3 September, 2018
RCF 745A or 735A which is cheaper would be a good fit for you.
DJ_Dad 9:04 PM - 4 September, 2018
Please check out the FBT Promaxx 114a as well. I have compared these to pretty much every speaker in its price range except a 745a and prefer them over them all. Tons of power and the 14” driver makes the cabs no bigger than a typical 12” speaker, but with the bass response of a 15.
benictrs 8:20 PM - 12 September, 2018
If you want to run them without a sub then buy the RCF Art 715 if you need them for gig's with a pair of potent 18" subs go at least with the RCF Art 735 or the RCF HD32A , RCF NX 32 A or RCF NX45's .
You can't go wrong ;)
Taipanic 2:40 PM - 13 September, 2018
You might also want to check out the new Yamaha DRZ line as well. Placed above the super popular (with reason) DSR line, supposed to have higher spl with the same clarity and more bass that the DSR112 is lacking a bit of. Disclosure - I have a pair of DSR112s and they are super clear and get very loud, sound great with some good subs.

RCF also has a great line, I agree with the recommendations above. Personally, I don't care for the QSC sound but they are well built, super reliable, and a lot of people like them just fine.
Al Poulin 5:02 PM - 21 September, 2018
If you can find some Yamaha DSR115s (now discontinued - replaced by DZR), those are terrific full range cabs that get stupid loud. Yorkville PS-15Ps are also excellent, especially in the bass dept... I have some DXR15s that are very good as well - but not quite as good as DSR115 or PS-15P :) The RCF and FBT suggestions are great too, but somewhat ugly for wedding type gigs...

Al
dj_soo 5:20 PM - 21 September, 2018
I was not very impressed with the PS15Ps personally. I was expecting more bass from them than they delivered and actually found the PS12Ps better for the size/price in terms of low end (even if the 15s edged them out in terms of overall range).

The PS tops in general tho have this somewhat boxy and over-processed sound to them that I really don't like overall - especially noticeable in the PS10Ps
Al Poulin 5:57 PM - 21 September, 2018
Quote:
I was not very impressed with the PS15Ps personally. I was expecting more bass from them than they delivered and actually found the PS12Ps better for the size/price in terms of low end (even if the 15s edged them out in terms of overall range).

The PS tops in general tho have this somewhat boxy and over-processed sound to them that I really don't like overall - especially noticeable in the PS10Ps

Yeah, they are very heavily processed, especially in the lower frequencies. I did like the PS12P, so figured the PS15P would be noticeably better, but haven't tested it personally...
Rebelguy 6:04 PM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:
If you can find some Yamaha DSR115s (now discontinued - replaced by DZR), those are terrific full range cabs that get stupid loud. Yorkville PS-15Ps are also excellent, especially in the bass dept... I have some DXR15s that are very good as well - but not quite as good as DSR115 or PS-15P :) The RCF and FBT suggestions are great too, but somewhat ugly for wedding type gigs...

Al

Where did you hear the DSR115s are discontinued? They are still listed on the Yamaha site and on all the retail sites.
Al Poulin 10:28 PM - 23 September, 2018
I contacted Yamaha to see if they had any b-stock DSR112s available for purchase, and they simply said no - as they were being discontinued.
Hopefully we'll see some reductions on old stock from retailers, but I hsven't seen anything yet.
Al
DJ_Dad 3:26 AM - 26 September, 2018
Quote:

Al

The FBT Promaxx 114a looks nothing like the 14a did. FBT fixed the ugly complaints with this upgraded model, but most people don’t know this.
Musicmanuk 8:34 AM - 26 March, 2019
Ok guys I’m looking to order some FBT PROMAXX 114a and watching this discussion with interest. I just wondered why nobody has mentioned hk linear 5 in this discussion. Same kind of price point and in my opinion a very good cab. Lovely bass sound and smooth response for vocals not edgy at all I own the 12’s. Before you ask I’m looking at the fbt promaxx due to their light weight as the hk weigh a ton. But although guys like you keep recommending the fbt I can’t find any real life reviews on these cabs anywhere if anyone has a link to a review on these I would much appreciate the info
desmorider 1:41 AM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
Ok guys I’m looking to order some FBT PROMAXX 114a and watching this discussion with interest. I just wondered why nobody has mentioned hk linear 5 in this discussion. Same kind of price point and in my opinion a very good cab. Lovely bass sound and smooth response for vocals not edgy at all I own the 12’s. Before you ask I’m looking at the fbt promaxx due to their light weight as the hk weigh a ton. But although guys like you keep recommending the fbt I can’t find any real life reviews on these cabs anywhere if anyone has a link to a review on these I would much appreciate the info

guess you didn't look very hard.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Musicmanuk 9:39 AM - 27 March, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

guess you didn't look very hard.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I’ve seen these you tube reports but the kind of review I mean is written review with real world experience such as analytics and noise ratios audience sizes etc etc
desmorider 1:51 PM - 27 March, 2019
Ok. Would be nice, but good luck finding that much detail