DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mobile DJ new hire pay?

Fmbighair 3:23 AM - 28 August, 2018
I’ve been a musician all my life playing in bands, music recording degree, sales experience, excellent people skills. Just hired by mobile DJ company and told I will be a “DJ Assistant” for at least six months(6-7 hour shifts helping DJ photo booth etc $100 pay). I will get 1-2 events a month to start.

I told the owner that I am ambitious and my goal is 3-4 months assisting and then I’d like to headline and make at least $3-400 gig. He says THATS A REALISTIC GOAL IF YOURE MARKETABLE TO CLIENTS. REMEMBER, OUR CLIENTS CHOOSE THE DJS. I guess the DJ meets with the client 1-2 hour meeting and gets paid $15 hr.

He also offers a voluntary UNpaid DJ boot camp training.

Idk, sounds like a lot of dues paying here and a lot of factors that are out of my control? Any advice? I’m ambitious willing to do what it takes but I don’t like the feeling of being taken advantage of. What’s the best way to get in the business?
Fmbighair 3:57 AM - 28 August, 2018
Oh, I forgot to mention that the owner said I’d have to purchase my own laptop for DJ use only once I’m on my own but said he would let me use his if it’s a deal breaker.
577er 1:16 PM - 28 August, 2018
So if a client were to hire you directly today what could you provide in terms of equipment, experience, and skill?

I’m not being snarky. Let’s talk this through.
Fmbighair 2:24 PM - 28 August, 2018
Oh yeah, I get it. Your looking thought this as business owners eyes and he even admitted that the intro pay is not glamorous by any means.

I will answer your question directly.
Quipment- I have my own mid sized PA system, mics, cables, computer, etc. my talent and customer service skills are great. I’ve been in sales all my life and know how to talk to people, eye contact, dress and add value to a product I sell.

As far as experience and skill, I’m on it. Been a gear head my whole life. With that being said, it’s not the products, it’s people(myself) that company can provide to a client. I hope this gives you an idea of my sensibilities, experience and savvy.

I don’t have any experience as a “mobile dj” per se but al of my musical performance and education and sales skills are transferable.

The way I’m selling myself is my ambition, I’m very money motivated, straight forward but honest and I will be loyal. To me, I’m looking “outside the box” with adding value to a dj company. I went on a “shadow” gig with one of his sis with no pay. He was average at best. There was nothing he did that I couldn’t of done. I appreciate your response and look forward to more advice.

If I’m totally off is there anything I can do to speed up this process? I’ve never worked a job in my life were training isn’t paid?
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:20 PM - 28 August, 2018
instead of trying to sell yourself to us why not just do your own thing and get your own gigs?
Aptidda 3:32 PM - 28 August, 2018
If you are just starting out I would consider trying to “shadow” with a more experienced person and take some notes. You could always “join up” with a successful DJ group sure, but you will be doing all the grunt work making under the table peanuts.

Put it this way, a full time “DJ” is making what annually? It all depends, and it takes a long ass time to make a name in the industry. Go ahead and yelp “DJ” in your area, that’s your competition. They are probably deeply entrenched in the game. Put it this way, if you are currently are, or are ok with living in poverty while you get your DJ Biz going for a few years then hats off. In my personal opinion DJ’ing is far to blue collar for my taste. Instead I chose a “for sure” “white collar” highly compensated executive role for my career, I know that I will continue to grow my salary guaranteed for years to come. But if your dj’ing and a few big gigs get cancelled, or Joe Shmoe the new DJ guy undercuts you, your out of business and at 7-11 with your EBT struggling to purchase a big gulp and a slice of that nasty ass pizza they sell.

How many people do you know getting married? How many people do you know with money to waste on a DJ for an event? How connected are you with decision makers at corporations that could use your services? Chances are, if your network is currently weak AF, your DJ Biz will take that much longer to get going.

Good luck!
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:53 PM - 28 August, 2018
Aptidda where is your vid?

even the Rane 72 knows you're full of shit

streamable.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:08 PM - 28 August, 2018
Aptidda for someone that always has something to say you're gone very quite on the matter
Aptidda 4:36 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Aptidda for someone that always has something to say you're gone very quite on the matter

You have been spamming me for a minute now, I told you before and I will tell you again. I don't waste my time doing anything for peasants. You are a peasant, therefore anything you say or do is null and void.

Now if you need a real opportunity I am still seeking people to dig ditches in my yard for palm trees. You can bring the whole family and I will provide lunch.
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:48 PM - 28 August, 2018
Even the Rane 72 knows you're full of shit

streamable.com
577er 5:03 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Oh yeah, I get it. Your looking thought this as business owners eyes and he even admitted that the intro pay is not glamorous by any means.

I will answer your question directly.
Quipment- I have my own mid sized PA system, mics, cables, computer, etc. my talent and customer service skills are great. I’ve been in sales all my life and know how to talk to people, eye contact, dress and add value to a product I sell.

As far as experience and skill, I’m on it. Been a gear head my whole life. With that being said, it’s not the products, it’s people(myself) that company can provide to a client. I hope this gives you an idea of my sensibilities, experience and savvy.

I don’t have any experience as a “mobile dj” per se but al of my musical performance and education and sales skills are transferable.

The way I’m selling myself is my ambition, I’m very money motivated, straight forward but honest and I will be loyal. To me, I’m looking “outside the box” with adding value to a dj company. I went on a “shadow” gig with one of his sis with no pay. He was average at best. There was nothing he did that I couldn’t of done. I appreciate your response and look forward to more advice.

If I’m totally off is there anything I can do to speed up this process? I’ve never worked a job in my life were training isn’t paid?

Yes your interning should be paid. I pay my interns $200 a day but if they don't bust their ass and shine they don't get hired.

From my perspective as a business owner you need the following at a minimum to go it yourself:
1) A unique product and a system to process requests to conversations to signed contracts.
2) Advertising - Insurance - website - social media - logos - boring backend business crap.
3) Reliable and capable transportation.
4) Equipment: Minimum of 4 self powered speakers & ideally subs. Minimum 4 wireless mics mid grade quality or better. 4 wireless transmitters for remote audio to speakers & as backups. DJ controller (can be cheap). Mixing board with three sends with independent levels. lots of cables & wires / adaptors and backups. You also need to know basic audio concepts and tricks like mitigating feedback with idiots using mics and dealing with a retarded floor plan.
5) Two Apple computers & and a iPad to play background music. Serato (obviously ;) and Pyro.
6) Every conceivable song that could get played a wedding in your laptops and iPad and you have to know them back to front.
7) Ability to read a crowd.
8) You need to understand the entire event and foresee problems and solve them / stop them from becoming problems. Excuses are a no no. Planners an idiot? - you need to take the lead.
9) Being able to mix is always a + and the only real way to standout from the thousands of random old guys who own a "mid sized PA" and think it's just playing songs back to back.
10) Basic MC skills.
11) Be coooooooool under pressure.

Being confident is great for the job but not if there isn't anything behind it to back it up. This is a sales job but also a high quality product delivery job. I find musicians are not as well suited to DJing as their background leads them to believe. It's one thing to part of a band - it's another to be a one man / woman show on which everything is ridding. It also takes time to build up a reputation which is the #1 thing that leads to bookings.

I would highly recommend doing the big company helper thing and see if you can DJ a bunch of weddings with them while taking detailed notes. Nothing worse than coming out the gate and falling flat on your face. When you eventually breakout on your own don't charge a lot so that people leave you rave reviews and slowly increase your rates as your product improves. those two things should never go out of sync with each other.
Aptidda 5:08 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
It's one thing to part of a band - it's another to be a one man / woman show on which everything is ridding.

Let's be honest here, there aren't any Women in the mobile DJ business. This is a mans business. Women are just too weak and lazy to haul around all of this gear and setup all of this crap.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:09 PM - 28 August, 2018
Not true you're the biggest bitch with a dj setup,

even the 72 thinks so, streamable.com
Aptidda 5:11 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Not true you're the biggest bitch with a dj setup,

even the 72 thinks so, streamable.com

breh your about as important to this world as a dead ant underneath my shoe, you peasant.
577er 5:12 PM - 28 August, 2018
Uh yeah I forgot - the most important thing - don't take time from your VIP white color day job to dickride on the Serato forum - that never leads to bookings.
Aptidda 5:19 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Uh yeah I forgot - the most important thing - don't take time from your VIP white color day job to dickride on the Serato forum - that never leads to bookings.

Yes, weekends are for taking vacations and going to social gatherings. NOT working behind the scene at social gatherings.
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:22 PM - 28 August, 2018
Must be a tough life for you Aptidda that you have to pretend on the internet that you have things you don't to make yourself feel better, i guess comfort eating isn't doing it for you any more

streamable.com
577er 5:27 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, weekends are for taking vacations and going to social gatherings. NOT working behind the scene at social gatherings.

Na scro, that what weekDAYS are for.
Aptidda 5:30 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Must be a tough life for you Aptidda that you have to pretend on the internet that you have things you don't to make yourself feel better, i guess comfort eating isn't doing it for you any more

streamable.com

Just saw this and I'm pretty impressed. LOL good one.
Fmbighair 5:33 PM - 28 August, 2018
Wow lots of good info and advice. I’m new here and I don’t see a “like” button so I will thank you all and take everything into consideration. Definitly some food for thought here.

I have a 45+ hr job with a good company ten years going plus rental property and a side gig already so it’s kind of double edge sword because my time is valuable especially when it comes to “paying dues to get in dj biz” but st the same time I don’t have to settle for peanuts.

The offer I have has some good points but at same time lots of investment in my own time not getting paid other than $100 dj assistant gig once or twice a month, dj boot camp no pay and not too mention when I DO fly solo we’re onky talking $400/gig plus I have to spend $1200 on my own laptop. Idk, definitly something to think about but not relying on it.
Aptidda 6:31 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Wow lots of good info and advice. I’m new here and I don’t see a “like” button so I will thank you all and take everything into consideration. Definitly some food for thought here.

I have a 45+ hr job with a good company ten years going plus rental property and a side gig already so it’s kind of double edge sword because my time is valuable especially when it comes to “paying dues to get in dj biz” but st the same time I don’t have to settle for peanuts.

The offer I have has some good points but at same time lots of investment in my own time not getting paid other than $100 dj assistant gig once or twice a month, dj boot camp no pay and not too mention when I DO fly solo we’re onky talking $400/gig plus I have to spend $1200 on my own laptop. Idk, definitly something to think about but not relying on it.

ya with all that going on DJ'ing just isn't worth it. Just keep it as a fun hobby!
17tr2 6:33 PM - 28 August, 2018
Here's a plan for success.

1. Read all of Aptidda's comments.

2. Do the exact opposite.

3. Watch your business grow.
Aptidda 6:34 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:

Those are facts. Respect!
Taipanic 7:02 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:

Sounds like the guy you hooked up with is asking for a lot. Is he the Big Deal in your area? Is he booked every week with $2000+ wedding gigs? Is he super professional and really on top of procedures and presentation? Does he have excellent quality sound & lighting? If not, I'd maybe look to intern with someone who has more of those boxes checked and maybe giving a little more in return. Also, there are a million videos on Youtube of weddings, ceremony procedures, DJ tips and examples, etc... Plan to go to the Mobile DJ events, like Mobile Beat and ARMS, lots of knowledge to be gained at those by the best in the business.
When you feel you can do a certain type of event well, take the gig. Don't charge a premium but don't low ball and take away business from your peers by doing it super cheap either. Good luck
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:33 PM - 28 August, 2018
Why can't you show is your new Mac Apitdda, is it possibly cause you don't have one?

Don't forget to click this link streamable.com
17tr2 7:35 PM - 28 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Those are facts. Respect!

Thank you for the kind words Aptidda. I'm hoping one day I'll be able to return them.