Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Roland DJ202 / Serato Issue (Moving the wheel stops track)

RuiV92 2:19 PM - 26 August, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue I'm experiencing. I have a Roland DJ 202 connected through to Serato Pro and most of the time it works absolutely. Every now and then however I experience an issue where moving the wheel will cause the track to stop and pressing the play / pause button will do nothing. The only way to get the track to start again is to click with the mouse on the waveform in the serato software, and if I move the wheel again it will stop.

So an example of what just happened to me is that I cued up a track, clicked on the waveform to go to the area I wanted, set the cue point from, and when I launched the track and used the wheel to speed up / slow down the track it stopped and would only go back and forth in the style of vinyl mode. Pressing play / pause did nothing until I clicked the waveform in the serato software. I loaded up another track and the same was happening, did loads of back and forth until eventually it started worked again.

Anyone experienced this? Here are my specs below:

- Roland DJ 202
- Serato DJ Pro
- Macbook Pro 13" Mid-2010
- 2.66 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4GB Ram
- OS High Sierra 10.13
DJ Tecniq 6:11 PM - 26 August, 2018
Quote:
- 4GB Ram
- OS High Sierra 10.13
Here’s the problem you’re running an intel core 2 duo which is not supported in SDJ Pro with almost a 10 yr old computer. You are way below the system requirements for SDJ/Pro. Intel Core 2 Duo Macs have been long unsupported machines since SDJ 1.8 i believe your laptop is causing the controller to lock up. I don’t necessarily think it’s the hardware but more so the computer. SDJ requires an i5 or i7 processor. If your Serato is running high cpu that’s likely the cause. If you don’t upgrade that machine you’ll have nothing but problems. Time to retire grand daddy Mac.
DJ Tecniq 6:26 PM - 26 August, 2018
Here’s the system requirements. An i3 processor would prob be ok but a lot of new hardware do not support i3 machines. Example: Pioneer DDJSR2 only lists the i5 and i7 processor as the system requirements for Serato.
serato.com
RuiV92 6:38 PM - 26 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
- 4GB Ram
- OS High Sierra 10.13
Here’s the problem you’re running an intel core 2 duo which is not supported in SDJ Pro with almost a 10 yr old computer. You are way below the system requirements for SDJ/Pro. Intel Core 2 Duo Macs have been long unsupported machines since SDJ 1.8 i believe your laptop is causing the controller to lock up. I don’t necessarily think it’s the hardware but more so the computer. SDJ requires an i5 or i7 processor. If your Serato is running high cpu that’s likely the cause. If you don’t upgrade that machine you’ll have nothing but problems. Time to retire grand daddy Mac.

Thanks mate, I did think it would be that but I just wanted to check. I'll be upgrading this rubbish laptop at the end of the year, I guess until then I'll have to live with this issue
DJ Tecniq 6:50 PM - 26 August, 2018
Quote:
Thanks mate, I did think it would be that but I just wanted to check. I'll be upgrading this rubbish laptop at the end of the year, I guess until then I'll have to live with this issue
Well what sucks is the Roland 202 is a newer controller if you were using an older hardware device that still supported core 2 duo machines then you’d be ok. My suggestion try going to the very first SDJ Pro version the 202 supported. With every new Serato release it requires more cpu. If you look at the top right of SDJ there’s a cpu bar if this is reaching almost a full level of red or near then it’s def the machine causing the issues.
DJ Tecniq 6:52 PM - 26 August, 2018
Rest assured it’s just the laptop and not the hardware. However def check fb marketplace for used Macs. Any 2012 or above Mac would be perfectly efficient for Serato. You’d be surprised the deals you can find on there students sell them hardly used to get new ones. Used Macs go for $500+.
leooliver 1:29 AM - 5 July, 2019
Hey I know it's been a long time, but did you ever get this problem sorted? I've got the same problem now, and im pretty sure its not due to my computer meeting system requirements as I have a laptop with pretty good specs (i7, 16gbRam, 500gbSSD). I tried my DJ 202, with a friends computer and wasn't getting the issue, which leads me to believe its a software or driver issue.
Its currently making my controller unusable as beat matching is a nightmare.
Any help would be much appreciated!
RuiV92 4:47 PM - 5 July, 2019
Quote:
Hey I know it's been a long time, but did you ever get this problem sorted? I've got the same problem now, and im pretty sure its not due to my computer meeting system requirements as I have a laptop with pretty good specs (i7, 16gbRam, 500gbSSD). I tried my DJ 202, with a friends computer and wasn't getting the issue, which leads me to believe its a software or driver issue.
Its currently making my controller unusable as beat matching is a nightmare.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi mate, I did sort it indeed. I had to send it back to Roland, I'm fairly sure it's a defect on their side even though they weren't willing to admit it. It went back via my warranty for about a week or two and came back sorted, haven't had the issue since
leooliver 9:20 AM - 10 July, 2019
Thanks for the reply mate, ill look into sending mine back to them. Hopefully it is still under warranty.
PSN_ONE 4:09 PM - 7 September, 2019
Do you have update on how your controller works now?

I've noticed that it seems to happen when the condtions are fairly hot.

Had this happen during two gigs now as I don't have a backup option and luckly I made it work but it kills so many options.
DeeBee05 11:15 AM - 24 October, 2019
Hi all. Located this thread in hope of solving the exact same issue on my 202. Left deck play button lights up and won't play track after very short period of successful operation. Left jog stops moving waveform(cueing, baby's etc). Cue buttons held will play track but again play button in inoperative. I will add this is controller number 2 under warranty....firmware was older ( as according to the Roland site-certain buttons are lit revealing firmware type)firmware updated. High end Toshiba laptop i7 specced. Running Serato lite.... problem persists. Discovered a note on the Roland page suggesting DJ 202 is a USB 2 controller and USB 3 might cause issues.....all of my ports are USB 3 type ( google suggests USB 3 are blue contacts) . My last hope is purchased an external powered USB (3) hub to see if this can remove any USB bus issues. Any other suggestions would be awesome. I just want to use my controller as it was intended. I find it hard to believe that USB 3 ports are causing these issues.
DJ_Itchy_ZA 1:17 PM - 24 October, 2019
This is an issue with the Roland platters - it also happens on the 808 and the 505.

dougieboom.com
Psyantist 5:33 PM - 4 November, 2019
Guys. I have the same problem. Since I am experiencing this problem and I am so far from the Roland Support Team, I am reading the manual and set this controller to System Mode. Just try this step. This might help the problem.

1.While holding down the [LOAD] button at the right side (R channel) of the browser section, use a USB cable to connect the DJ-202 to
your computer; continue holding down the [LOAD] button until the SEQUENCER section’s [START/STOP] button blinks.
The DJ-202 is in system setting mode.
2.Press the performance pad that corresponds with the setting you want to make.
The MASTER level indicator is lit, indicating the current value of the setting.

R Channel Pad 2 Jog dial top surface sensitivity adjustment

3.Use the rotary selector to change the value of the setting.

Change the value from LEVEL 1 to LEVEL 5 (means the MASTER level indicator will lit 5 bars)
Psyantist 5:39 PM - 4 November, 2019
Quote:
Guys. I have the same problem. Since I am experiencing this problem and I am so far from the Roland Support Team, I am reading the manual and set this controller to System Mode. Just try this step. This might help the problem.

1.While holding down the [LOAD] button at the right side (R channel) of the browser section, use a USB cable to connect the DJ-202 to
your computer; continue holding down the [LOAD] button until the SEQUENCER section’s [START/STOP] button blinks.
The DJ-202 is in system setting mode.
2.Press the performance pad that corresponds with the setting you want to make.
The MASTER level indicator is lit, indicating the current value of the setting.

R Channel Pad 2 Jog dial top surface sensitivity adjustment

3.Use the rotary selector to change the value of the setting.

Change the value from LEVEL 1 to LEVEL 5 (means the MASTER level indicator will lit 5 bars)

After you've done this steps and the problem still exist, please change from Deck 2 to Deck 4 TWICE and move the Jogwheel
DJ_Itchy_ZA 6:02 PM - 4 November, 2019
does for the tip !

Can this be done on the DJ-808 as well?
djcrap 8:27 PM - 4 November, 2019
Quote:
does for the tip !

Yup just rewind the jokes wheel fast backwards and forwards. And it will snap out of that annoying issue of the play button. That’s what I do with my dj 808 and Always does the trick.
djcrap 8:28 PM - 4 November, 2019
Jokes = jog wheels 😂
DJ_Itchy_ZA 8:33 PM - 4 November, 2019
Ahh.. Thanks. Yes I'm aware of this workaround. I was hoping perhaps there was a way to prevent this from happening in the first place.

Thanks for the help.
djcrap 9:09 PM - 4 November, 2019
Quote:
Ahh.. Thanks. Yes I'm aware of this workaround. I was hoping perhaps there was a way to prevent this from happening in the first place.

Thanks for the help.

Any way first of all fuck Roland! People have been having these issues too on the dj 800. But Roland claims that it only happens on the 203 and 505 but not the 808. I have been waiting for an RA number request from Roland for 8 months now and still no answer. So I gave up and said fuck Roland controllers am never buying them again !

Any way if this helps
I discovered that also being next to a subwoofer or vibrations from bass also increased the frequency of how often times it happens. The pads become delayed when pressed and also the jog wheels kind of delay or lag when scratching. So don’t setup next or close to the subwoofer if you can help it.

But on that note I also figured out another tip . opened up the dj 800 controller from the bottom and I spread the jog wheels with a can of compressed air under the jog wheels and the play button So far it has reduced the frequency of it happening to no problems. It’s been 4 weeks now no issues fingers crossed
Psyantist 3:59 AM - 5 November, 2019
Quote:
does for the tip !

Just do the step cause that will change the sensitivity of the jogwheel.
Psyantist 4:22 AM - 5 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:
does for the tip !

Just do the step cause that will change the sensitivity of the jogwheel.

Yes. You can adjust the sensitivity on your 808
DJ_Itchy_ZA 5:04 AM - 5 November, 2019
Thanks so much Pysantist - I will give this a shot soon.

Thanks to you as well for the advice djcrap.
emenelopee 6:48 PM - 9 December, 2019
I just came into this problem. New laptop, same problem on the old one, DJ-202 since Feb 2019, all firmware and software up to date.

Changing sensitivity doesn't work. Sent a support ticket to Roland. We'll see what happens.

Anyone have any updates?
DJ_Itchy_ZA 6:01 AM - 10 December, 2019
From what I have read - this is a physical issue with the Roland platters. The work-around I have found to work is to push down on the jog wheels before I use it. If you look at the platters horizontally, looking at the surface at eye-level. and slow turn the jog wheels, you might notice that there is slight a slight "warp" or "lift" on the top layer in certain places. If you push this down, it will level out. When I do this, they never freeze or get stuck. I hardly play on the 808 (because of these issues), but when I do, I always do this before playing and it seems to work for me.