DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sept 3rd WEDDING: 1000 sq ft. dance room wi/13 ft. ceilings... what's needed?

Happy Recycling 8:52 AM - 24 August, 2018
Hi, :)

I am about to host a reception at [my and my fiancee's] wedding. We're have a 1000 sq ft. room with 13 ft. high ceilings just to dance in!

Since I'm given the opportunity to DJ, DJ I will along with a few friends of mine. We're still deciding what to play but here are some ideas of options of what we're wishing to enjoy for the dance/chill (depending on the mood). We're expecting no more than 100 people, realistically about 85 people:

house, breakbeat hardcore, jungle, drum n bass (1989-1995) ... too many artists to mention...
classic trance (techno, progressive, hard, acid) (1991-1998) ... too many artists to mention...
mojave/westcoast/chemical/funky desert breaks (1993-1997) ... too many artists to mention...
dub (1992-2018)...Plus 8/Probe(1990-1997)...London [filthy/hard] acid (1994-2018) techno ...

ambient house, ambient techno, ambient dub/dub techno,& psybient, psy dub (1991-2010)
[The Orb, Aphex Twin, Global Communication, Boards of Canada, Shpongle, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Deepchord & Echospace]

trip hop/downtempo (instrmntl hip hop/mod classical/nu jazz) (2006-2010)
[Emancipator, Hidden Orchestra, Saltillo, Litttle People]

The frequency range should be from lowest audible sounds to highest (>20Hz to <20kHz.)

I don't know technicalities because I skipped my own the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Manual's reread session (j/k) ... in all honesty I don't know anything at all about sound reinforcement. What I do know is the rental company that everyone seems to go to stocks only Yorkville's, eh.

I wish to feature the deepest bass possible, so the bass will be *felt* (just like in the good old days) but I'm not looking for "Nasenbluten" levels... just really rich deep bass that can be felt like a warm blanket hugging the audience from within.

The deepest, most powerful sub, [the dual 15 inch] PSA2, has a range of 30Hz-100Hz and an 134 Peak (131dB Continuous) maximum output.

Q1: Given the size of the room, amount of people (density,) the sound production of the tracks, the response and SPL, how many of these bad boys would I need to get the desired effect?

Q2: How should I position this subwoofer/subwoofers in the room for most rich bass? How can I determine this on site?

Coming to the selection of tops, these two tops seem what the rental place places as Yorkville's and their own top-tier selection.

Yorkville Sound
NX Series 2000 Watt Peak 12-Inch+Horn Active PA Cabinet

Yorkville Sound
NX Series 1600 Watt Peak 15-Inch+Horn Active PA Cabinet

Q3:
Should I rent the 12'' 2000 watt or 15'' 1600 watt version, how many to balance the x-number of PSA 2('s)? Each PS2 is 2400 watt "program power."

For both my fiancee and I, this is a once in a lifetime event. So we are going all out, on the important details. Sound is one of them. I am still a raver at heart in that I love the old time sounds and the simplicity as my preference.

I wish to show my bride (and mostly, if not everyone else in the audience) what it means to be surrounded by a vibe of at an oldskool party with their friends within a zone of safety.

This is a clean party (we didn't get a liquor license, and everything else is out of the question,) there is nothing we can do be enjoy ourselves by being surrounded by loving people who wish only the best for us. ... With the right tunes, at the right levels, with the right people, and the right atmospheric effects (even), nothing else is necessary for her to feel loved by everything and all around her.

Final question:
... This is only for the hardcore helpers out there, from this shoppe's rentals: www.long-mcquade.com

What atmospheric effects should I use here to bedazzle the place: lasers, LED, and black light is possible. Anything that sets off a smoke alarm, no (because it will set of the smoke alarm). It's in a basement, it's from 5:30 to midnight, so it will get dark as time stretches.

What other artistry, manufacturing, industrial works should I use to light up the location and make the event glow with maximum radiance?!?!

Answers, discussion, links, and comments and rebuttals, tips and tricks, welcome here! Time is of the essence. Tally Ho!

p.s. Apologies to those who were turned off by me for over labeling genres, name dropping, or getting syrupy at the end, or any other reason why I may have ticked you off ... I can't please everyone, sorry ('eh.)
Happy Recycling 10:12 AM - 24 August, 2018
p.s. I don't want to double post but I was brought to the awareness that I have to say this ... to the point: There are no shorter walls, the room is pretty much a square. Thank-you all for reading, hope to see replies coming back soon! :)
Aptidda 6:01 PM - 24 August, 2018
speakers, lights, DJ equipment and your set. Good luck!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:52 PM - 25 August, 2018
I feel so sorry for anyone you invite to that catastrophe.
DJ Reflex 12:21 AM - 26 August, 2018
Yup - The top two contributors on the forums are back and here to give great advice!

And by the way - your post was too long to actually read in my short attention span. Do you have the cliff notes?
WarpNote 10:15 AM - 26 August, 2018
Quote:
house, breakbeat hardcore, jungle, drum n bass (1989-1995) ... too many artists to mention...
classic trance (techno, progressive, hard, acid) (1991-1998) ... too many artists to mention...
mojave/westcoast/chemical/funky desert breaks (1993-1997) ... too many artists to mention...
dub (1992-2018)...Plus 8/Probe(1990-1997)...London [filthy/hard] acid (1994-2018) techno ...

ambient house, ambient techno, ambient dub/dub techno,& psybient, psy dub (1991-2010)
[The Orb, Aphex Twin, Global Communication, Boards of Canada, Shpongle, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Deepchord & Echospace]

Do you really have 100 friends that can endure that specific music for the whole night?
To me it looks like a list of what not to play in a wedding...

I dont have experience with Yorkville myself, but heard great things about them.
Generally, I would use tops AND sub for what you are trying to achieve.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:42 AM - 26 August, 2018
why would you even dj at your own wedding, its a day to be enjoyed you can dj anytime
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:12 PM - 26 August, 2018
After taking some time and giving this some real thought I've determined theres no way to determine where to even start explaining what all is wrong with this dumpster fire scenario of yours, so I'll just start at the top

Quote:
Hi, :)

I am about to host a reception at [my and my fiancee's] wedding. We're have a 1000 sq ft. room with 13 ft. high ceilings just to dance in!

ok

Quote:

Since I'm given the opportunity to DJ, DJ I will

Sigh, let's start here. You were not "given" the opportunity to dj, you took advantage of a situation and inserted yourself into the position. I can safely assume noone was clamoring for the situation and your excitement at doing work for free on an off day tells me that you dont get the opportunity to play in front of people often which also indicates the performance your gonna provide. Sad.

Quote:

along with a few friends of mine.

Nothing says successful wedding like the groom and his friends ignoring everyone circle jerking each other while staring at a computer screen all night.

Quote:
We're still deciding what to play but here are some ideas of options of what we're wishing to enjoy for the dance/chill (depending on the mood). We're expecting no more than 100 people, realistically about 85 people:

"we dont know what we are gonna play yet but heres an incredibly detailed list of exactly what we are gonna play."

Also....noone wants to hear any of that. Play the wobble like an adult

Quote:

The frequency range should be from lowest audible sounds to highest (>20Hz to <20kHz.)

I don't know technicalities because I skipped my own the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Manual's reread session (j/k) ... in all honesty I don't know anything at all about sound reinforcement. What I do know is the rental company that everyone seems to go to stocks only Yorkville's, eh.

I wish to feature the deepest bass possible, so the bass will be *felt* (just like in the good old days) but I'm not looking for "Nasenbluten" levels... just really rich deep bass that can be felt like a warm blanket hugging the audience from within

warm blanket bass? Dude, who hurt you?

Quote:

Q1: Given the size of the room, amount of people (density,) the sound production of the tracks, the response and SPL, how many of these bad boys would I need to get the desired effect?

If the desired effect is to destroy all of your brides wedding dreams 1 will suffice. Trust me, you'll make up for it in other ways

Quote:

Q2: How should I position this subwoofer/subwoofers in the room for most rich bass? How can I determine this on site?

Position them in the best angle to cover up the sound of your bride banging one of your dj friends in the bathroom. You'll know which one it is because it'll be the only one not hovering over you saying "sick transition bro. Can I play one?" Also if one of him is an actual working successful dj, it'll be him

Quote:

Q3:
Should I rent the 12'' 2000 watt or 15'' 1600 watt version, how many to balance the x-number of PSA 2('s)? Each PS2 is 2400 watt "program power."

you should rent 0 and spent that money on renting a button up shirt and a tie so you dont like a complete sponge in front of your brides family. Or at least use that money to get the Jincos your probably planning on wearing professionally cleaned. Ya, I get that you dont want to was the good party vibes off of them but they smell like a meth addicts hamster cage bro.

Quote:

For both my fiancee and I, this is a once in a lifetime event. So we are going all out, on the important details.

It actually seems like your going all out to make it all about you. So far your djing a party that should be your wedding that's a replica of some old party memory your clinging onto, what does your bride want? Have you put this much consideration into any of the other detail....you know....the important stuff?

if it's any consolation it prob wont be a once in a lifetime event.....well this fiasco will be but your bride might have another wedding in her future after attending this one

Quote:
Sound is one of them. I am still a raver at heart in that I love the old time sounds and the simplicity as my preference.

grow up and get a job hippy. Those days are done let it go. if I have to spend one more minute listening to grown 40+ yr old men reminiscing on how great their old raver days were I'll slit my wrist with a broken britney spears cd

Quote:

I wish to show my bride (and mostly, if not everyone else in the audience) what it means to be surrounded by a vibe of at an oldskool party with their friends within a zone of safety.

Wait.....you want to SHOW your bride? Shes not already into this bullshit? Does she even know what shes getting into? Is she a trash person too or is she the holder of the remaining dignity your future family will need to bank on?

Quote:

This is a clean party (we didn't get a liquor license, and everything else is out of the question,) there is nothing we can do be enjoy ourselves by being surrounded by loving people who wish only the best for us. ... With the right tunes, at the right levels, with the right people, and the right atmospheric effects (even), nothing else is necessary for her to feel loved by everything and all around her.

in sure this will work out fine for your friends because they're most likley still coming down from drugs they did in the 90s but seriously, at least if you added drugs into the mix your brides parents could chalk this all up to bad decisions due to drug use. That can be fixed. But when they look over and see their daughters life partner shuffling over to a cuddle puddle in the corner of his black light lit basement they'll have to deal with the harsh reality that hes is 100% sober and is just an idiot.

Beyond that you dont need a liquor liscense to give party members something to numb themselves to your antics. Wait.... are your charging a cover charge for this fiasco?

Quote:

Final question:

you should have so many more questions...

Quote:

... This is only for the hardcore helpers out there, from this shoppe's rentals: www.long-mcquade.com

What atmospheric effects should I use here to bedazzle the place: lasers, LED, and black light is possible. Anything that sets off a smoke alarm, no (because it will set of the smoke alarm). It's in a basement, it's from 5:30 to midnight, so it will get dark as time stretches.

What other artistry, manufacturing, industrial works should I use to light up the location and make the event glow with maximum radiance?!?!

some black light posters will really bring this classy event together.

Quote:

p.s. Apologies to those who were turned off by me for over labeling genres, name dropping, or getting syrupy at the end, or any other reason why I may have ticked you off ... I can't please everyone, sorry ('eh.)

I'm willing to bet you could add this to your wedding toast and it will be applicable
dj_soo 3:44 AM - 27 August, 2018
Jesus.

Appitda or however you spell his name has nothing on Bezzle.

Been too long man.
dj_soo 3:45 AM - 27 August, 2018
Btw, I’ve done rave weddings before.

Both the bride and groom were into it as were all their friends. And even then, I had to wait til the last hour or two after appeasing everyone else with standard top 40 wedding fare.
DJ Reflex 3:40 AM - 28 August, 2018
^^ +1 ^^