Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Master Volume

djivan 2:20 AM - 20 August, 2018
I am currently using Serato Dj Pro with the DDJ SX3 controller and I wanted to know if I am able to turn up the master volume. It seems to be locked right in the middle. The club I dj at was having problems with there sound and it just sounded really low last night.

I was also red lining due to the fact. When I used my previous DDJ SX2 controller, I was able to turn it up if I needed to. Also the "levels" were displayed meaning that I can see if I was in the red in the master volume and I could adjust it on my end.

Any advice?
DJ Tecniq 5:14 AM - 20 August, 2018
What do you mean by master volume locked? Can you maybe take a video clip for us. Is it on the unit itself or the software?
DjSyndic8 5:58 AM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:
I am currently using Serato Dj Pro with the DDJ SX3 controller and I wanted to know if I am able to turn up the master volume. It seems to be locked right in the middle. The club I dj at was having problems with there sound and it just sounded really low last night.

I was also red lining due to the fact. When I used my previous DDJ SX2 controller, I was able to turn it up if I needed to. Also the "levels" were displayed meaning that I can see if I was in the red in the master volume and I could adjust it on my end.

Any advice?

you must be using SDJ in offline mode, just move the mouse over the master volume on SDJ right click and move the volume up or down, I suggest you don't touch the master Volume though sitting at 12 o'clock is plenty of sound, it may red line or distort if you do this,

also you can go into SDJ settings and change the sound decibels from 6 to 12 decibels this will give you and extra Volume boost
17tr2 12:21 PM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:
What do you mean by master volume locked? Can you maybe take a video clip for us. Is it on the unit itself or the software?

On the SX2, if you put in utilities mode, you can set the global gain up or down. I can't imagine they would remove this feature from the SX3. Its very useful.
djivan 5:14 PM - 20 August, 2018
I am talking about this "master volume"

forums.pioneerdj.com

Also what is "utilities mode" can you show me how to put it on this mode?
17tr2 5:59 PM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:

forums.pioneerdj.com

Quote:

forums.pioneerdj.com

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you saying that when you try to change the master volume in the picture, it won't move?

As for utilities mode, the instructions are in the owners manual, along with how to change the global gain.
djivan 6:23 PM - 20 August, 2018
Yes that’s exactly what I’m asking “it won’t move” it’s locked in the middle.

Thank you for helping me on this.

I’m going to check this utility setting you mentioned
17tr2 7:56 PM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not trying to sound like an ass here, but you do know you can move that master volume with your mouse if your controller doesn't have a knob for it? I only ask because that volume control should work at all times. The only possible exception I can think of is that if its not properly mapped. But even then, it should still work with your mouse.
djivan 9:23 PM - 20 August, 2018
Yes I do know that...
I used to do that before my good this controller.
Even if I drag the mouse and use that it just don’t move.

Locked at 12
DJ Tecniq 9:45 PM - 20 August, 2018
Quote:
Yes I do know that...
I used to do that before my good this controller.
Even if I drag the mouse and use that it just don’t move.

Locked at 12
This def is not a controller issue this is related to software however I’ve never seen the master volume in Serato lock up so this is a first I’ve heard of...possible bug? Not sure what Serato version supported the sx3 but maybe an older version would do the trick?
djivan 10:16 PM - 20 August, 2018
Yeah, that was my next thing to try to downgrade my Serato version.

Thanks for your help. I’ve contacted Serato Support since last week, sent them snap shots and all but they have not responded.
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:52 PM - 20 August, 2018
Hi djivan, in the screenshot it looks like you're running Serato DJ, however the DDJ-SX3 is only supported in Serato DJ Pro - can you confirm which version you're using?

Also what's your Support ticket #, I will follow up with them :)
djivan 1:40 AM - 21 August, 2018
I’m actually using Serato DJ pro, that was just a screen shot from the internet.

I’m using the version prior to your latest update, cause the latest one only update Numark from what I know.

Here is my ticket number

Also...when my DDJ SX3 is not connected to my laptop and just on offline, I just noticed that I am able to move the master volume with my mouse as soon as I plug the usb to my laptop it locks at at 12 o’clock.
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:52 AM - 21 August, 2018
Thanks, I am able to reproduce this as well and i've bumped support to follow up with your ticket :)

Quote:
Also...when my DDJ SX3 is not connected to my laptop and just on offline, I just noticed that I am able to move the master volume with my mouse as soon as I plug the usb to my laptop it locks at at 12 o’clock.

It looks like it is a bug with the DDJ-SX3 hardware, we are looking into it now. Cheers!
DJ Tecniq 4:49 AM - 21 August, 2018
Interesting so it is the hardware. I’ve heard of issues with the SX3. Pioneer needs to get their shit together. There’s a thread on the forum of various SX3 users having problems with the unit. Never purchase when it’s first released. It’s best to wait it out and let them iron out the bugs.
djivan 9:53 PM - 22 August, 2018
**UPDATE***

So I went yesterday to Guitar Center to return my DDJ SX3 controller due to the issue that Pioneer DJ sent me by email that is causing the Mater output audio to freeze.

They said that if your controller serial number does not have a "black dot" next to it then you have defected controller. Pioneer is offering a free inspection and fix.

I was still under my 45 days at Guitar Center and went back to the SX2, all the Guitar Centers in my area all had the defected controllers and due to gigs this weekend could not wait.

Thank you again for looking into this.
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:37 PM - 22 August, 2018
Quote:
So I went yesterday to Guitar Center to return my DDJ SX3 controller due to the issue that Pioneer DJ sent me by email that is causing the Mater output audio to freeze.

Hey Ivan, i'm really interested to know what information Pioneer sent you specifically about the master output level - are you able to provide some insight? Is it a known issue for them?

Glad to hear Guitar Center sorted you out.
djivan 11:59 PM - 22 August, 2018
This is what they sent me....

I just copied the text cause don’t know how to attach the email to this thread.

DDJ-SX3 controller - free inspection and repair

We regret to announce that we've discovered a problem with some of our DDJ-SX3 controllers. If you own this product, we apologise for any trouble this may have caused you. Please read on for details about the issue and, if necessary, to arrange your free inspection and repair.
We've identified an issue in some DDJ-SX3 controllers which can cause the audio output to freeze or make all the unit's LED lights switch off.
All affected DDJ-SX3 controllers will be examined and repaired free of charge at an authorised Pioneer DJ repair centre.
Find out how to tell if your controller is affected by this issue, plus details of how to contact us, below.
We'd like to thank you for your continued support for our products and we're sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue.
Affected model
DDJ-SX3 performance DJ controller
How to identify the affected model
Use the packing box and actual product to check if your controller is affected.

The affected units do not have a black dot beside the bar code, below the serial number on the box and the product itself. If your box looks like this, please contact us via the phone number or web address below.
If your barcode has a black dot beside it, your controller isn't affected so no repair is needed.
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:31 AM - 23 August, 2018
Thanks Ivan! It looks like it was similar to what they wrote in their DDJ-SX3 press release > www.pioneerdj.com
djivan 4:15 PM - 30 August, 2018
***Update***
Hey there fellow Serato Dj Friends!

First of all I want to say thank you for all your help with this issue I had been having with my DDJ SX3 controller! Looks like its finally solved and it is a Pioneer issue.

Let me give you a bit of backgroud first off...
So, I have been a Scratch Live/Serato DJ/Serato Dj pro for a very long time, very loyal to the software and upgrades.

I worked with vinyl, cdjs, controllers etc..

I started off with the DDJ SX, moved up to the SX2, I stayed with the X2 for quit a long time, never had any problems. Years after, I ended up moving to SZ2. (Which I regret)
I had that controller for about 3 months and ending up going back to my X2, then I heard about the X3. I reviewed it online and got that "Dj curiosity" and wanted to get it!

I traded my X2 at Guitar Center for the 3, knowing that I was going to lose money, but really wanted the new gear. After that well you all know, I started having these problems with the unit.

I returned my X3 twice at Guitar Center, called all the stores around my area and they ALL have defective controllers. I use my controller on a weekly so I cannot afford to have it sent to Pioneer to get it fixed and be without a controller for about 2 weeks, which is what they told me when I called.

I have told the rep at Guitar Center that I did not trust the unit anymore. And that is the worst this for a DJ, not to trust there equipment.

He offered to get me back to my X2, by that time I was done. I just felted like I lost all around, not only money wise but in general.

Last Saturday, I ended up using RekordBox for the first time after a friend recommended it, since I am very familiar with Pioneer CDJs and mixers. I must say that I felt support comfortable and even tried it LIVE at a gig Sunday. I must say I was pretty sold.

On Monday I went back to Guitar Center and tried there XDJ-RX2, and fell in LOVE with it!

I am thinking of doing this switch fellas.
Jamie Chapman 9:49 AM - 8 February, 2019
I'm having the same problem with my SX3! Overall a bad experience, noticing some strange bugs. Did Pioneer agree to take back the SX3 or did your rep at the Guitar Center help you out with this himself?
Jay Rags 10:04 PM - 28 March, 2019
I am having the same problem as described by the original description of this thread. It is not the same problem as the one in the pioneer link. You can not drag or click to turn the Master volume up or down. I'm talking about the dial/setting just to the left of the MY SERATO button/link at the top of Serato Pro.
Jay Rags 10:16 PM - 28 March, 2019
Also, the control click or the alt click doesn't work when the hardware is plugged up.
Jamie Chapman 3:27 AM - 29 March, 2019
So I have an update, originally this issue was deemed a Pioneer issue by the store I bought it off, but pioneer couldn't find a problem with my controller, they suggested it was a Serato issue. So I emailed Serato, the told me that is it a bug in Serato! There is supposed to be no master output control from Serato at all while using the DDJ SX3... I tried to get an explanation as to why the SX3 does not have this function, still no info.
dj Krazey leo 8:41 AM - 2 April, 2019
I think the reason why Serato disable the master volume “is because lots of people who doesn’t understand proper gaining structure would possibly turn there master volume so loud it would distort the sound every time . Most Dj’s will use the internal gain in Sdj pro to obtain loudness as a go to when it actually loudness should be obtained through amplifying for example if using powered speakers you should maybe turn them up to a volume that’s comfortable for your audience and you without clipping and keep your controller at a good clean volume and STAY OUT OF THE RED same goes for a bi amp sound .
the latinsoul 1:50 AM - 17 July, 2019
Hello i've read all the comments and i just saw this issue on mine but i do have the black dot on the box but it's pretty weirs that my master volume control is locked and the level meters don't show eitherwhat can be causing this issue?
Supagee 4:07 AM - 17 July, 2019
confirmed the SX3 master volume in top right corner is locked and you can't adjust it i am at a gig right now and it it's not useable.
the latinsoul 4:25 AM - 17 July, 2019
Everything works just fine it's just that master volume issue do you guys see the level meters? mine don't even show it only shows when i unplug it from my macbook.
DJ Tecniq 4:27 AM - 17 July, 2019
Quote:
confirmed the SX3 master volume in top right corner is locked and you can't adjust it i am at a gig right now and it it's not useable.
Same issue with the Mixars Primo it’s apparently a software issue w/both devices. Serato has not cared to fix it yet...lazy asses🤷🏼‍♂️
Supagee 4:29 AM - 17 July, 2019
There has never been master level meters on any of the controllers when you plug them in. They only show when you use a SL box
the latinsoul 4:32 AM - 17 July, 2019
Quote:
There has never been master level meters on any of the controllers when you plug them in. They only show when you use a SL box

Umm maybe cause i was using a lot my DDS-1 i've changed it not using SL1 anymore.
DJ Tecniq 4:34 AM - 17 July, 2019
What I don’t understand is why Serato disabled the master volume in the software now? It was never a problem before. I think it’s a bug and they have not fixed it yet...makes no sense to me i can adjust the master volume w/my SR2 in the software but my Mixars Primo is locked...they stay bugging shit up with newer hardware devices it’s kind of ridiculous...
Supagee 4:42 AM - 17 July, 2019
The master volume is a bug in the 2.2 software, Serato confirmed they can reproduce it.

As for the master level meters there has never been any since well forever when it comes to controllers.

i had noticed this when i got the SX long ago.
DJ Tecniq 4:53 AM - 17 July, 2019
Quote:
The master volume is a bug in the 2.2 software, Serato confirmed they can reproduce it.
I think it’s been since before 2.2 cause I heard about this w/previous versions.
the latinsoul 4:53 AM - 17 July, 2019
So far nothing is buggin' i have gigs starting this Thursday till Sunday i've been running the serato dj pro 2.2 for like 6 hours already so nothing acting up thanks for all the info!
DJ Tecniq 5:02 AM - 17 July, 2019
SX3 has been supported since SDJ Pro 2.0.3 and they still have not fixed the master volume issue in the software...they are slacking cause 2.2 is already released. No excuse😬
Supagee 5:07 AM - 17 July, 2019
I was able to adjust the master volume on the SX3 i am using in earlier versions of the software. I can't adjust it now that i am on 2.2
DJ Tecniq 5:14 AM - 17 July, 2019
Quote:
I was able to adjust the master volume on the SX3 i am using in earlier versions of the software. I can't adjust it now that i am on 2.2
Correction. My bad I don’t have the SX3. It’s interesting how they update the software but break something in the process also. Get some real developers.
Supagee 5:19 AM - 17 July, 2019
well the big difference between the sx3 and the other versions of the controller is that sx3 has dual computer hook up, previous models only have 1.

This could play a part in breaking something but man Dev work is not easy by any means and with the amount of new hardware tech out there they have to adapt the software too is pretty insane. Then not to mention the OS version changes.

It is not easy.
DJ Tecniq 5:46 AM - 17 July, 2019
Quote:
well the big difference between the sx3 and the other versions of the controller is that sx3 has dual computer hook up, previous models only have 1.

This could play a part in breaking something but man Dev work is not easy by any means and with the amount of new hardware tech out there they have to adapt the software too is pretty insane. Then not to mention the OS version changes.

It is not easy.
But you don’t think this could of been fixed before release of their 2.2 software. Is this the same result with 2.0 for the sx3?
Supagee 5:58 PM - 17 July, 2019
Well the SX i am using right now you can adjust the master volume on 2.2 software seems it's only related to SX3 and 2.2
dj-double-s 11:48 PM - 14 October, 2019
Quote:

As for the master level meters there has never been any since well forever when it comes to controllers.

i had noticed this when i got the SX long ago.

I am running Serato 2.1 and am having the same issue with my DDJ-SX3 (which was manufactured in January of 2019 and has a black dot on the serial #/barcode sticker). Also it is untrue what you are stating about the level meters. I get level meters and master volume control when using my DDJ-SZ2 and DDJ-SB3.
DJ Tecniq 4:51 AM - 15 October, 2019
Update your software problem solved 👍🏼