Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ SX3 - Roll pads colours

Alex Cookie 1:46 PM - 7 August, 2018
Hi,

I have a question regarding bottom section of roll pads in the DDJ-SX3 controller. I saw several videos, where all pads are in blue, and they're working in the same way like the other four from the upper section - looping beats.

My are in two colours (red and yellow), and changing loop section. Is this how it should work?

This is how it looks like:
we.tl

Thanks.
Aptidda 6:31 PM - 8 August, 2018
yes
Cwite 8:20 PM - 8 August, 2018
The top section is roll loop. The bottom section is beat jump. Turn beat jump off in the menu and the bottom row will become roll loops too.

I don't like the way that beat jump is utilised on the hardware so I have midi mapped it else where. This way, I get to use full roll loops plus beat jump in a way that works for me.
benictrs 7:17 PM - 13 August, 2018
You said in another post that you have owned previosly the SX2 .
What is your onest and unbiased opinion about the sound quality of the SX3 Vs. SX2 ?
I curently on the SX2 and would like to know if there is anny improvement in sound quality with the SX3 ?
Thx in advance for your answer and sorry for the oftopic :)
Aptidda 9:26 PM - 13 August, 2018
Quote:
What is your onest and unbiased opinion about the sound quality of the SX3 Vs. SX2 ?
I curently on the SX2 and would like to know if there is anny improvement in sound quality with the SX3 ?

I personally don't own one of these units however chances are there is no difference in "sound quality". Unless you are using these on enormous festival setups the sound quality is certainly going to be subjective.
benictrs 8:05 AM - 14 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I personally don't own one of these units however chances are there is no difference in "sound quality". Unless you are using these on enormous festival setups the sound quality is certainly going to be subjective.

Nope the sound quality is not subjective unless your ears are full of wax .
There are pretty big diferences between the sound quality of the controlers from brand to brand amd from controler to controler .
I’m still waiting for the two chanel ddj sz but i’m pretty aware of the fact that is newer going to be released .
In that note i have to settle with the sx range because of the size vs the amount of features packed in them . The bigges problem with them is the poor sound quality . And pioneer is not going to do nothing about this because almoust nobody complaines about the poor sound quality , and the ones doing it are not to vocal :-/ .
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:46 AM - 14 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There are pretty big diferences between the sound quality of the controlers from brand to brand amd from controler to controler .
I’m still waiting for the two chanel ddj sz but i’m pretty aware of the fact that is newer going to be released .
In that note i have to settle with the sx range because of the size vs the amount of features packed in them . The bigges problem with them is the poor sound quality . And pioneer is not going to do nothing about this because almoust nobody complaines about the poor sound quality , and the ones doing it are not to vocal :-/ .

Best sounding large size controller that I've owned. The SZ is Extra Large.

1. Roland DJ 808 - The very best and stable. After about a year of owning and using it twice or thrice a week my right cue/play button seems to be faulty, it will be my most used button. So I just sent it back in for repair.

2. Denon MCX8000 - but that's about all it's got going for it. It's a very buggy unit with screen freeze and general stability issues.
benictrs 11:01 AM - 14 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Roland DJ 808 - The very best and stable. After about a year of owning and using it twice or thrice a week my right cue/play button seems to be faulty, it will be my most used button. So I just sent it back in for repair.

2. Denon MCX8000 - but that's about all it's got going for it. It's a very buggy unit with screen freeze and general stability issues.

What is your opinion about the Denon MC 7000 ? Does it sound like the 8000 but without the software/ hardware problems ?
Aptidda 4:25 PM - 14 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea well hence the complete and utter absence of "Controllers" in my setup.

Why I would never use a “modular controller” i.e. built in mixer with a form of media player (static platters/ moving platters/ no platters like the Craptor S8):

1.) Controllers are typically plastic and poor build quality.
2.) Controller cross faders are never up to snuff and are poor quality (I’m a scratch DJ- I need the best of the best faders)
3.) Prone to so many issues (firmware issues/ compatibility issues)
4.) If one piece breaks (buttons not functioning correct on your roland unit/ your pitch fader is out of wack on your pioneer unit/ your Reloop unit is non responsive/ your numark NS7 1/2/3 is crashing etc) Your sending in THE ENTIRE UNIT. Paying for shipping the behemoth, and stuck with using your iphone to mix with while you wait a few weeks for repairs. And when you do get the unit back, chances are IT ISNT FIXED and your stuck with the same issue/ ongoing issue.
5.) The sound cards are inferior (this is a FACT- not one “controller” on the market has a sound card anywhere in the REALM of the quality of a Rane 72).
6.) Your putting all your eggs in one basket. If at a gig and your controller goes down your SOL, because now your fake “mixer” doesn’t work.
7.) Controllers are a dime a dozen, they are constantly releasing new ones with little to no improvements depreciating the one you just bought to nothing.
8.) Manufacturers cut corners and are making these things cheaper and cheaper.
9.) Controllers are aimed more towards “entry level” DJ’s
10.) Your guaranteed to be screwed on resale value.
11.) I’m a big boy now and I am strong enough to carry a full size hefty setup including 2x 1200’s and a Rane 72.

Controllers have a place in the DJ community, don’t get me wrong. They are best suited for entry level dj’s, people on a tight budget, or wedding dj’s that want convenience. They certainly DON’T belong in the upper echelon of the DJ community, you wont see a single “Professional” DJ using a controller. You can tell if someone’s getting their bread and putting food on the table if they are modular.

I have said it plenty of times, modular setups are FAR Superior in every aspect. Unless you need some itsy bitsy controller to squeeze amongst modular setups in the DJ booth because you can’t hang with the big boys. It’s a modular setup or nothing, thank you very much.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:43 PM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What is your opinion about the Denon MC 7000 ? Does it sound like the 8000 but without the software/ hardware problems ?

I have no experience with the MC7000. You can pull up the specs sheet and see if the sound card match up.

Even my back up Denon DJ 6000MKII sounds to me better than the Pioneer DJ SX MKI

BTW I'm not a InMusic fanboy, it's just that it seems to be only three companies making controllers for Serato these days

InMusic (Numark/Denon/Rane/Akai)
Pioneer
Roland

So you don't have much of a choice really.
DJ Tecniq 2:28 PM - 22 August, 2018
SX3 has been recalled on certain units. Get yours inspected and fixed if it’s one of the affected models. Don’t wait!
www.pioneerdj.com
DJ BIS 9:33 AM - 23 August, 2018
Quote:
SX3 has been recalled on certain units. Get yours inspected and fixed if it’s one of the affected models. Don’t wait!
www.pioneerdj.com

Thanks for this. SMDH!!!