Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

DDJ SB3 and Serato DJ Pro

xfactorf2 10:39 PM - 5 August, 2018
I own a DDJ SX2 and recently bought a DDJ SB3 to do smaller gigs. I opened up serato dj pro on my laptop as usual and plugged in the SB3... it doesn't work, I already have serato dj pro so whats the issue? why won't it work?
DJ Tecniq 4:11 AM - 6 August, 2018
Quote:
I own a DDJ SX2 and recently bought a DDJ SB3 to do smaller gigs. I opened up serato dj pro on my laptop as usual and plugged in the SB3... it doesn't work, I already have serato dj pro so whats the issue? why won't it work?
The problem is you never owned SDJ Pro. Your SX2 is plug & play compatible with SDJ Pro however this does not mean that your SB3 is the same. The SB3 is a entry level controller for SDJ Lite however in order to use it with their pro software you need to purchase a license for the SB3. Just because you have one hardware device that is compatible with SDJ Pro doesn’t mean you can share it’s license. The license is tied to your SX2 which is the main reason why it costs more cause it’s a plug & play ready device for SDJ Pro.
DJ Tecniq 4:13 AM - 6 August, 2018
So in order for you to use the sb3 w/SDJ Pro you’ll need to spend more money for a license to unlock it for Pro use.
DJ Tecniq 4:15 AM - 6 August, 2018
Although you should have a 14 day free trial for SDJ Pro since you bought the SB3. After the trial expires you’ll need to purchase a license. Hope that helps.
xfactorf2 11:43 AM - 6 August, 2018
Thank you for your reply. I understand. So once I purchase SDJ Pro can I then use it with any compatible Pioneer DJ controller?
DJ Tecniq 2:26 PM - 6 August, 2018
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I understand. So once I purchase SDJ Pro can I then use it with any compatible Pioneer DJ controller?
100% correct you can use it with any Serato controller that is upgrade ready for SDJ Pro will work.
xfactorf2 4:26 PM - 6 August, 2018
Great! I will buy the SDJ Pro. Thanks so much. You've been a big help and solved my issue. Now all Pioneer has to do is make a controller for Serato DJ Pro that is similar to the DDJ 1000.... we Serato DJ users would love a controller with full size jog wheels with a display too.
Laz219 12:59 AM - 10 August, 2018
.....first person I've seen with this issue that actually was just like "ok cool, I'll buy it"
rather than bitching that they should just be able to use it without paying for it.
DJMuErTe 3:22 AM - 13 August, 2018
Well thats because he just spend 999 on the first controller, how about djs like me who bough sl1-sl2-sl3 then ddj sx then ddj sz2 and want to buy a cheap controller to practice at home and we cant because we are not allowed???
Laz219 11:00 PM - 14 August, 2018
You should've looked into it before buying it.
DJ Tecniq 3:22 AM - 15 August, 2018
Quote:
You should've looked into it before buying it.
^ this
Nattyice1 6:04 AM - 3 January, 2019
I was having the same issue, and then realized the sb3 cant even be unlocked with the sl3 box either. I was wondering when you buy the license do you get serato forever? like if there's ever a serato pro 3.0 etc..?
DJ Tecniq 7:28 AM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:
I was having the same issue, and then realized the sb3 cant even be unlocked with the sl3 box either. I was wondering when you buy the license do you get serato forever? like if there's ever a serato pro 3.0 etc..?
To answer your question precisely. Yes it means you have a full license for Serato DJ and will unlock any controller that is supported in SDJ Pro. Keep in mind that before “Pro” became available regular Serato DJ users were allowed a free upgrade to their Pro software. If you originally purchased a Rane SL2, 3 or 4 they are all compatible with SDJ Pro nothing has really changed just the software name & features.
DJ Tecniq 7:32 AM - 3 January, 2019
As for the Rane SL3 it is a plug n play device for Serato DJ. The device itself is what unlocks the software but that does not mean it will unlock the SB2 for Serato DJ it’s a completely different device. You can’t share a license from a plug n play product that is already compatible w/SDJ if that makes sense. Cheers
DJ Tecniq 7:33 AM - 3 January, 2019
Sorry SB3* i meant
Joe Matador 7:05 AM - 15 February, 2019
So I can't plug an SB3 to my SL3 and use Serato Pro?
DJ Tecniq 8:14 AM - 16 February, 2019
Quote:
So I can't plug an SB3 to my SL3 and use Serato Pro?
No they are both usb devices and it’s not recommended to use both.
DJ Lall 7:41 PM - 18 March, 2019
Just to confirm that if I have a licensed copy of Serato DJ Pro and I plug the ddj sb3 to my laptop,it will work?

I am also looking to get it for smaller venues

Thanks
Lall
DJ Tecniq 3:06 PM - 19 March, 2019
Quote:
Just to confirm that if I have a licensed copy of Serato DJ Pro and I plug the ddj sb3 to my laptop,it will work?

I am also looking to get it for smaller venues

Thanks
Lall
Correct. If you purchased a Serato DJ license then your sb3 hardware will now be compatible with the Pro (advanced software)